Junior Titan

Default Titans name U/20 squad

Sure this on here somewhere else....but I cant see anything on it so..here is a story from the Northern Star - Nthern NSW

Five join Titans NYC squad for 2008

By STEVE SPINKS

NORTHERN League grand final opponents Andrew Battese and Jy Hitchcox will join forces for the Gold Coast Titans Under-20s team next season when the National Rugby Leagues youth competition kicks-off.

Battese, a Ballina hooker, and Hitchcox, a Mullumbimby winger, were both instrumental in their sides march to the grand final last month.

Hitchcox helped his team eventually prevail with a brave performance following injury.

The duo will join three other local players Shannon Walker (Kyogle), Will Matthews (Kyogle) and Cody Nelson (Mullumbimby) in the 30-man squad that was finalised late last week by the Titans.

He (Battese) signed with the Titans a few months ago, Andrews father Brian Battese said.

He felt comfortable going up there and hes played with a lot of the guys in divisional stuff.

Battese, a St Johns College Woodlawn student, is currently completing his HSC and is hoping to earn a place at Griffith University allowing him study and play football at the same time.

A feature of the National Youth Competition is that teams will be semi-professional.

Each side will be encouraged not to train during the day and there is a heavy emphasis on players either furthering their study or career opportunities outside of football.

A number of local players have been named as shadow players for the 30-man squad including Kyogles Cameron Gibson and Matt OReilly, Mullumbimbys Travis Drought and South Graftons Daniel Bligh.

THE 30-MAN SQUAD: Shannon Walker, Kingi Akau Ola, Esi Tonga, Jared McCarthy, Kevin Gordon, Jordan Rapana, Cameron White, Tyson Lofipo, David Moore, Jy Hitchcox, Lachlan Creighton, Kye Howarth, Josh Costello, Kane Lawton, Sam Stewart, Cody Nelson, Andrew Battese, George Jarrett, Brodie Williams, Ben Ridge, Ryan Simpkins, Ryan Wilson, Tom Kingston, Bodene Thompson, Shaun Spring, Will Matthews, Siosaia Va Va, James Baillie, Dylan Roberts, Steve Darby.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 25-10-07 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Fixed formating

Junior Titan

Default U/20s

Thanks Qlder.

I for one think it is going to be great going to Titans games with the possibility of seeing 2 class games for my money. Absolutley tonnes of ability in the Titans u/20s and sure to be in the other NRL squads. Hope Titans fans get behind the u/20 comp as these players are very much the real deal...and many will go on to play NRL proper for the Titans or other teams.

Should be great.

does chris sandow still play? i think that was his name
    was very young n played a few games of the benach for one of our feeders
    didnt ppl say he was going go well?

don't know if he is still with the titans, but he had a shoulder reconstruction half way through last season. was 19 this year, so you would assume if he isn't listed in under 20's squad he is no longer with the titans. but i'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    does chris sandow still play? i think that was his name
    was very young n played a few games of the benach for one of our feeders
    didnt ppl say he was going go well?
    He was with Tweed Heads,not sure whats happening with him though?
    Will Mathews is a player i saw a bit of,looks very promising,cant wait to see the games before the main event!!

will mathews going to be a great player, he will pushing for a 1st grade spot, i tohught in the Q cup grand final he was one of the best on park, got through a mountain of work and with a pre season under his belt with billy he is going to to good, Sandow was going to be the next big thing he was always rated a better player than Shannon Walker, put got injured and havent heard of him since then