Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: The Chaser

here we go, another talkback and morning talk show arguement about the chasers, we should have a tally board off all the contoversial things the chasers have done
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"

Anna Coren praises Chaser 'mates'

By Mike Bruce
    October 24, 2007 12:05am

ANNA Coren loves The Chaser's War on Everything.

Every Wednesday, she is right there with 1.5 million others watching the irreverent ABC funnymen mock her show, her brand of current affairs and her.

"Oh yeah," she says deliberately.

"I think what they do is really good. I think they're talented and I think they're very funny and I enjoy watching them send us up."

Coren even counts the comics among her friends. She sounds almost proud when recounting she was one of the more hardcore revellers at The Chaser's recent wrap party.

'Okay' with attacks on Today Tonight

"Those guys happen to be mates of mine. They don't attack me personally, they attack the show, they attack the genre and they attack me (as the host). That's fine," she says.

Coren says she is neither scared nor upset by the broadsides fired during their segments, What We Learned From Current Affairs This Week including The Anna Coren Segue.

She watches partly out of curiosity about how they will manage to craft yet another slight about Today Tonight.

"No truly. I don't (have any fear). I just always wonder what they will come up with.

"I was speaking to one of them the other day and they were like, 'Anna, where's the material? Come on, give it to us, we're running out here'."

"I'm not precious. You have to take it as a form of flattery if they're paying you that much attention and having you on their show.

"I should be on their bloody payroll."

Coren's show 'an abomination'

Chaser Chas Licciardello says his crew like Coren, but maintain their rage for the show.

"In all our dealings with Anna she's been a genuinely nice, sweet person," he said..

"But the show she hosts is an abomination and should be eliminated for the good of humanity."

Coren concedes their acerbic parody of the genre is "sometimes" justified and she doesn't "really have a problem with it".

But deep down you sense that the weekly blows The Chaser throws could well be hurtful to her.

'Wants to be proud of Today Tonight'

When she took over TT from Naomi Robson early this year, she ambitiously stated - as did Ray Martin before her when he returned to A Current Affair - that she wanted a show to be proud of.

Ask Coren if she is enjoying the TT hosting role and the ambiguity and hesitancy may speak volumes: "Yeah, no, I am, I am ... yeah, no, it's all going well.

"And yeah, no, it's good."

And is she proud of what her show has become?

"The stories I do I am proud of, the interviews I do I am proud of ... I make sure the stuff I do personally I am proud of."

'Chipping away' at more serious journalism

In terms of injecting her brand of more serious journalism into TT, she says, "We're getting there" and "chipping away".

She points to interviews with heavy-hitting politicians and serious figures such as anti-Islamic feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

"It's an evolving process. My background is news ... I would love to make the program a bit more newsy and I think we are slowly doing that.

"We've had the PM on at least half a dozen times and we had Kevin Rudd on, and (we're) doing stories that matter to me.

"You have to do it gradually."

Proud of journalism career

Coren does get upset, though, at media commentators dismissing her journalistic experience and painting her with the tabloid brush.

The Australian's Amanda Meade said earlier this year: "If Coren thought she could hang on to her journalistic credibility and host Seven's TT, she was seriously misled."

Coren counters: "I certainly know what I've achieved in my career.

"I think when people ... wipe out what I have done in the past, that's when I have a bit of an issue.

"I certainly know what I was doing the past couple of years.

"I certainly think the stuff that I do, the stories, the interviews I conduct, have integrity and credibility."

Can be both 'Baghdad and boob-jobs'

Despite TT's tabloid recipe working well with viewers - it rated 1.354 million last week about 207,000 above ACA - Coren believes there is room to take the show further upmarket, provided it retains a good mix.

Producer Phil Goyen says: "I don't understand why it has to be one or the other, either Baghdad or boob-jobs - it can be both."

Coren says: "I do think it's workable and I have always said if the show has a staple it's about getting the mix right.

"You need that variety, that light and shade."

www.news.com.au

Cracks appear in Chaser team

THE Chaser's War on Everything could be about to turn into a war on each other, with speculation the pressure of the past few weeks has escalated tensions within the TV troupe.

Audience members were kept waiting for two hours before shooting for the pre-recorded show began on Tuesday night as the team thrashed out their ideas for the program, with noticeable tension in the air when the cameras finally rolled.

Sources close to the ABC show said there have been growing creative differences between the comedians.

Despite the controversies of the past few weeks - including a public backlash over a song about dead Aussies and its top-rating APEC security stunt episode - cast member Chas Licciardello laughed off suggestions of growing behind-the-scenes divisions.

"We hate each other just as much as we always have," he said.

"Our show isn't usually finished until Tuesday night and unfortunately the audience bear the brunt of it.

"We are just incredibly disorganised.

"I implore our politicians to get their business done earlier in the day so we can turn around our pieces earlier."

Licciardello said it was not the first time the audience had been kept waiting.

"We do a run through and that's where we see all the clips for the first time and have a meeting where we discuss if there's anything we want to drop," he said.

"We just started late."

The satirical team is also busy working on two election specials.

http://www.news.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Chaser's war on the world

THE Chaser's War On Everything has controversially conquered Australia in the TV ratings and now it's going global.

The satirical ambush comedy series is now being screened in Israel, South Korea, New Zealand, Norway and Finland.

The ABC is also in talks with more than 20 other countries - and the biggest interest is coming from the Middle East.

ABC international sales chief Karen Dacey has just returned from MIPCOM TV trade fair in Cannes and said the APEC stunts generated huge interest - as had Summer Heights High.

"Both shows were our biggest hits and there was a huge word of mouth buzz about them," she said yesterday.

"It shows both can travel but The Chaser really hit a chord because everyone had heard of them from APEC.

"Our Middle Eastern clients especially loved them and the Iranian buyers thought they were hilarious and they could be seen there."

Other territories are looking at picking up the series which is re-edited for the world market with local politics taken out.

They include Latin America, eastern Europe, Germany, Denmark, Poland, Japan, Thailand, Spain, Canada, Holland and the US. Producer and Chaser member Julian Morrow said the international market had always been on their radar.

http://www.news.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans First Grader

No need to take out the local politics. They mention people enough throughout the series to understand who they are. I wonder why there is no interest from the UK, people here would love their humour.

Facebook 'friends' ambush Kevin Rudd

Federal politicians are bending over backwards to expand their networks on Facebook and MySpace, but how strong are their newfound friendships?

The gang from The Chaser's War on Everything sought to test how much politicians value their social networking buddies by arriving at Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd's house with 50 of his Facebook "friends".

It comes as social commentators are now questioning whether "friend" is the right term to use for our online pals.

Many amass social network connections as though they're collecting stamps, but the relationships are often only skin deep. Typically, real-world friends form just a small fraction of our total MySpace or Facebook pals.

In a segment from tonight's episode of The Chaser, already published on the show's MySpace profile, Chas Licciardello and a horde of 50 people posing as Mr Rudd's Facebook friends ambushed him as he was returning home.

"We've come for a friendly sleepover seeing as we're all good friends, so what do you reckon?," Licciardello asked.

"I didn't know you had any friends Chas?," a jovial Mr Rudd retorted.

Mr Rudd politely declined the offer ("I'd love it but i've been on the road for two weeks nearly and i've got the kids waiting for me") and proceeded through his front gate. Licciardello followed behind with a can of spray paint, offering to "write on his wall".

But Licciardello admitted today: "There is no Santa Claus and they weren't really Kevin Rudd's friends; they were the first 50 people we could gather at a moment's notice in Brisbane on Saturday."

Mr Rudd has 5000 friends on Facebook - the maximum allowed by the site - and over 20,000 on MySpace. Prime Minister John Howard's Liberal Party page and Federal Treasurer Peter Costello's profile on MySpace list 9 and 227 friends, respectively.

Workplace Relations Minister Joe Hockey is one of the more popular Liberal politicians on MySpace with 982 friends. But his Labor rival Julia Gillard trumps this figure, boasting 2817 friends.

A recent study by evolutionary psychologist Will Reader of Sheffield Hallam University in Britain found most people have five close friends and this number did not change when they joined a social network. In other words, most online friends are little more than acquaintances.

There are even various online tools that allow social network users to add masses of friends automatically based on criteria like zip code, gender, orientation and age.

"True friendship requires not merely connection and face-to-face contact, but risk - the risk of disapproval, of heartache, of being thought a fool," wrote Christine Rosen, fellow at Washington's Ethics & Public Policy Center, in the Wall Street Journal.

"Social-networking websites may make it easier to accumulate 'friends', but as a medium for the cultivation of genuine friendship, they are a poor substitute for the real thing."

THE AGE

I WISH THEY CALLED ME, I ACTUALLY AM ONE OF KEVIN'S FACEBOOK FRIENDS AND I LIVE IN BRISBANE.

Me and Kevin often chat on MSN and play WoW, he has a level 27 Gnome priest.... *cough*

kevo plays wow
    man that tensions thing is aca getting crabby at the chasers
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    [B][U]
    Mr Rudd has 5000 friends on Facebook - the maximum allowed by the site - and over 20,000 on MySpace. Prime Minister John Howard's Liberal Party page and Federal Treasurer Peter Costello's profile on MySpace list 9 and 227 friends, respectively.
    A very tenuous link to the thread DIEHARD, but this bit is a classic. Howard has 9 friends!

No wonder the guy needs to force people to turn up on voting day. Only 9 people can be bothered to link to his page.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

I think its more the fact no one is checking his page and accepting requests.

Mine is still pending.

Was shattered to hear Chas say on PMLIVE nowdays that he is no longer a ninja turtle fan.

YES WE CANBERRA should be great this year, maybe one of the few saving graces of what will be a negative and personal campaign from both sides.

Anyone watch their new show CHECKOUT about consumer affairs on Thursdays on ABC?

I love it. Im a passionate advocate for consumer affairs and also the comedy is a good mix. Love seeing companies get owned.