Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up ***CANCELLED***Trial Game: Titans vs Panthers @ QLD Group Stadium (Ipswich)

NRL trial within reach

A CROWD of more than 10,000 is expected to flock to QLD Group Stadium for Ipswich's first NRL game in many years, with the Gold Coast Titans poised to take on the Penrith Panthers on February 16.

With a few minor details to be finalised before the match kicks off, Ipswich Jets CEO Brad Wolens is excited at the prospect of bringing top level football back to the home-town of past heroes Allan Langer and Kevin Walters.

"Obviously the Jets have got to come to the party and cover all the costs of the Panthers side coming up, (but) to us, the cost of that is going to be absolutely nothing to the value of having a game here in Ipswich," Wolens said.

"The Jets have improved so much in the last 12 months that weve really become a force in the Queensland Cup. I think now we just need to continually take those small steps. The next step is getting a NRL game here."
    Any promoter's dream would be to feature two Queensland-based NRL sides, with the North Queensland Cowboys making a bid to be involved.

But Wolens was confident a large crowd would turn out to see a trial game involving the men from outer Sydney.

"The funny thing is I just got an email from Cowboys boss Peter Parr this morning because they were a possibility, but I had to email back and say, 'Sorry mate, Panthers are locked in'," the Jets CEO said.

"The Titans have an enormous supporter base in Ipswich. It's surprising, I used to be the manager of Struddys Sports in town (and) the number of people who bought Panthers gear is unbelievable. So theres an enormous supporter base for the Panthers as well.

"Theyll be two very popular clubs."

One man who is sure to be part of the massive crowd is Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale, who is anticipating benefits for the entire city.

"It's good from a football point of view, but also a promotional view," Pisasale said.

"We're behind it 100 per cent."

Penrith Panthers general manager Michael Leary said his club was "prepared to go", but "there's a few things to be tidied up".

As well as the main game, a sportsman's dinner and a junior coaching clinic are planned, while the Jets would play a curtain-raiser against either the Titans under-20s team or reigning Queensland Cup champions Tweed Heads.

The Queensland Times

It looks like Michael Searle took my advice

Good work Titans.........I will most definetly be there and hopefully some of the Legion will be there too

Great news for Ipswich. Here's their first step to one day hopefully having a team in the NRL.

Marked it down on the calender, I hope to be there!

Fantastic news. Glad to here it, it will be a massive success.

It is great to have this to look forward to now. It is also in reach of most fans in SEQLD to get there.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

will be there for sure......

who will be classed as the home team?

Titans - SEQ

Panthers - Fellow Westie 'hole'

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    will be there for sure......

who will be classed as the home team?

Titans - SEQ

Panthers - Fellow Westie 'hole'

We certainly will be the home team and we will make them feel at home.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    We certainly will be the home team and we will make them feel at home.
    Most definitely!

Also this will be Petro Civinocevia's first game in Queensland for the Panthers

oh yea...... wow that'll just be weird seeing him in a penriff jersey

should be a good game

twas a good game at the start of this year during trial matches in the first game at carrara against penriff.......... we took home a great win!!!!

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    twas a good game at the start of this year during trial matches in the first game at carrara against penriff.......... we took home a great win!!!!
    Yea it was a brilliant game by the Titans, wasn't it Stevo?

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Would love to be there to give the panfers heaps..hopefully the missus will have given birth to bub no.2 by then!

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Yea it was a brilliant game by the Titans, wasn't it Stevo?
    Ouch!

It looks like this game may not be happening.

This from Rob Weaver, the Panthers media manager on the subject:

Well, it's not only news to me, it's news to Mick Leary as well. I spoke to him 10 minutes ago (12.15pm Sun Nov 18).
    My understanding is that the Windsor Wolves want to play a trial against the Titans.

Under our agreement with the Wolves, their side could involve any of our players - full time or contracted to Windsor - who are not required for our game against the Eels in Lavington the following week.
    http://www.panthers.com.au/Forum/FindPost72978.aspx

I will be disappointed if the above is true, but the game will still get great attendance.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

They dont want to play us again because they will lose AGAIN!
    :duh: