Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Shows what happens when the majority of the team is picked on form.....

Hopefully the selectors take some note from this flogging in their future selections. PICK ON FORM FOR BEST RESULTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_BD1103 View Post
    The shot from Crocker, whilst heavy, was not illegal... I thought it might have been at first, but when you watch the replays you realise it ain't... it's slightly late, but it ain't dangerous and he was aiming at the ball carrier trying to knock the ball out... penalty would have surficed.

Matai was high, late and swinging an arm... he had to get sent off for that, even if he couldn't stop... you don't go into a tackle swinging your arm at an opposing players head, that is just dirty.
    Titanium,

So you agree that Crocker should have copped a penalty for connecting the head?
    Do you believe it was a harsh call to send Matai from the field?

I'm trying to close the gap here because the two decisions changed the games in totally different ways but were similar in incident.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

One player was from a team that everyone in Australia despises for their dirty play.

And then theres Steve Matai.

(PLEASE NOTE: This comment is intended to be humerous,and not to be taken seriously. )

No hard feelings over head-hunt

By Brent Read
    October 16, 2007

MARK Gasnier was back in the land of the living yesterday.

A day after being knocked senseless by New Zealand centre Steve Matai, Gasnier's memories of Australia's historic 58-0 win in Wellington were limited to the national anthem, Israel Folau's opening try and the final seven minutes.

But Gasnier, unlike some people in the Australia camp, holds no ill-will towards Matai, who was sent off and suspended for two matches for the brutal high shot that resulted in the Kangaroos centre being taken from the field in the back of a medicab.

Gasnier's anger instead was directed at what he wasn't involved in - an 11-try romp that broke all records between the trans-Tasman rivals.

"The only thing I am filthy about is I missed the Test match, especially one that made history," Gasnier said.

"That's the biggest disappointment out of all this. You just don't take your Test matches for granted. I know it still gets notched up as a Test match but I would have loved to have contributed. I don't know how long I played but I didn't get a whole lot."

For the record, Gasnier played 24 minutes, by which time Australia already looked the goods. The Kangaroos were leading 12-0 - one try a display of brute power by Folau and the other sheer determination from prop Steve Price; it was the beginning of the end as they crossed another nine times.

At the post-match press conference, coach Ricky Stuart described the tackle on Gasnier as a cheap shot and suggested it had been deliberate, but the Kangaroos centre was willing to give Matai, who apologised after the game, the benefit of the doubt.

"Obviously you don't know, but if he went out with the mindset to take my head off, you would be dirty," Gasnier said.

"If it was unintentional, that stuff happens.

"(Australia team doctor) Hugh Hazard said he came in and apologised. Hughie said I was out for a fair while. When I was good enough to get up, he sat me down and I watched the last seven minutes of the game."

Of Matai's two-match ban, which will result in him missing official trial games next season, Gasnier said: "As long as they're consistent. If that's the precedent they set, I am happy with it. If one of our blokes did the same thing and only got two weeks, I would be happy with it."

Gasnier returned to Sydney on Monday, but he jets out again this morning for a holiday in the Middle East which will take in Egypt, Dubai and Oman.

He then heads to London to help to launch next year's Rugby League World Cup, a tournament battling for credibility given the Kiwis' performance on Sunday.

New Zealand coach Gary Kemble has a big job on his hands to turn things around and he has already called in reinforcements, adding out-of-favour Warriors half Lance Hohaia to the squad.

No such problems for the Kangaroos, though. They blooded eight players and all emerged with their reputations enhanced.

One of the best was Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley, who played longer than expected because of Gasnier's injury.

The original plan was for Gidley to come on in the second half and slot in at five-eighth with Greg Bird moving to lock. Instead, Gidley took the field midway through the opening half, played his preferred position of fullback and had a field day.

The result was all the sweeter given his older brother, Matt, was a member of the St Helens side which was beaten on Sunday morning by Leeds in the Super League grand final.

"I found out before I went to the game," Gidley said of St Helens's loss.

"It was disappointing for him. I put that straight out of my head. I know he would have been disappointed but there's no point me worrying about it.

"It was unfortunate for Gaz that he copped such a bad shot, but that's why you have a utility on the bench I guess. The week was everything I hoped it would be. That was the perfect one to kick off on."
    AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post

Hopefully the selectors take some note from this flogging in their future selections. PICK ON FORM FOR BEST RESULTS!
    Have to agree with this.
    They go on about picking the people who have gotten the job done before, but this has shown you don't need 15 veterans and 2 fresh faces to win.
    We could probably pick 3 or 4 teams capable of beating NZ and the UK.
    We might need to follow cricket's lead, and have an Australia A side.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post

NZ was abysmal though, so I dunno if they'll take much from that win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Accolades for Greg Bird
    By Matt Marshall and Dean Ritchie

October 19, 2007

LEAGUE Immortal Wally Lewis has given Greg Bird the seal of approval as a born Test player.
    Filling in at five-eighth for injured Broncos champion Darren Lockyer, 23-year-old Bird was stunning on debut against New Zealand in last weekend's trans-Tasman romp in Wellington. The performance was such that it drew comparisons to "King Wally", one of Australia's greatest players.

Former NSW star Laurie Daley said he saw a lot of Lewis in Bird's dynamic Test debut against the dismal Kiwis ? which came on the back of another man-of-the-match performance in Origin III earlier this year.

"I thought Greg Bird was absolutely brilliant against New Zealand," Daley said last night. "He displayed a lot of the attributes that made Wally Lewis great. They have similar builds and are both exceptionally strong and powerful.

"I'm certainly not saying Greg is another Wally Lewis ? players like Lewis come along every few decades ? but Bird cut so many holes in the Kiwi defence, much as Lewis used to do for so many years.

"They both have good running games. Bird will be a representative player for years to come. He was also great when he came in for State of Origin III for NSW. He really gave us some authority."

Lewis said Bird and the other first-gamers could hold their heads high for their brilliant efforts at Westpac Stadium. "I remember when Steve Mortimer scored his first try for Australia, he was very happy," Lewis said.

"I saw Bird was just hysterical when he got to celebrate his Test debut with a great team try. I'm sure he's very happy. It was the biggest day in his career."

It is understood that Bob Fulton, another Immortal who was also a five-eighth, also sees strong similarities between Bird and Lewis.

"I know Bob Fulton has mentioned this in the past," Roos coach Ricky Stuart said.

"He isn't comparing Bird to Lewis but he sees similarities."

Former NSW and Australia five-eighth Brett Kenny ? Lewis's long-term sparring partner ? agrees.

"They have similar running styles," Kenny said. "They aren't that quick but they can go if in the clear. They also have the same physique and both are defensively very good."
    TELEGRAPH

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"