Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Roos vow to ruin party

AUSTRALIAN players are determined to wreck the Kiwis' Centenary Test celebrations with victory in their one-off clash at Westpac Stadium in Wellington today.

The Test - the Kangaroos' only end-of-season game - has been largely overshadowed by events to mark the 100th anniversary of rugby league in New Zealand. They included a lunch at Parliament House and a visit to the cemetery where a number of All Golds pioneers are buried.

While the Australians will head home after the match for an off-season rest, the match is the start of a tour for the Kiwis that includes an historic All Golds-Northern Union match, a series against Great Britain and a Test in France.

But Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart dismissed any suggestion his side had little to play for and said the inclusion of eight Test debutants in the line-up would ensure an enthusiastic performance in Australia's penultimate hit-out before next year's World Cup.

"We'll be celebrating our centenary next year, but I can understand why it's going to be a big game for them because they are heading into an important tour and it's a good development and education for their players for next year and the World Cup," he said.

"They're blooding a few new blokes, too, which will be a bonus for them next season but there's excitement for us, too. Playing for your country, whether it's one game or a tour, is exciting."

Stuart said the new faces in the Australian side - teenage duo Israel Folau and Jarryd Hayne, halves pair Cooper Cronk and Greg Bird, Manly fullback Brett Stewart, Melbourne back-rowers Dallas Johnson and Ryan Hoffman, and Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley - had lifted their more experienced teammates.

"It has given the camp an extra bounce of energy and enthusiasm and rejuvenated the senior players who have played a lot of representative football," Stuart said.

"They are taking quite a healthy attitude into the game and that's what is going to be needed. It's going to be a tough game. But the focus and the quality of training really symbolises how much they care about the jumper and the game and, going from what their attitude and input has been, they are all excited to be playing for Australia."

The Kangaroos completed preparations with training at Westpac Stadium, called the Cake Tin, yesterday. Renowned for its swirling winds, the ground appears perfect for Inglis to terrorise New Zealand fullback Krisnan Inu with the towering torpedo bomb he unveiled during the finals. The Storm star, surprisingly, said the tactic had not been discussed.

"I haven't been practising at all this week so I'll probably leave the kicking to Cam Smith, Cooper and Birdy [Greg Bird] and stay out wide to do the chasing," said Inglis, who has been chosen in the centres.

"Ricky has just said to me to do what I do at club level, so I'm not going to change my game in any way at all."

Despite the absence of Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston and Kiwi pair Sonny Bill Williams and Benji Marshall, former Kangaroos captain Gorden Tallis predicted a "classic Test match".

"It looks like both sides are going to play up the middle but they've still got that unbelievable brilliance with guys like Inu, Folau and Inglis so there should be some great football played."

http://www.smh.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

TBH if Cameron Smith can't kick the first 3, put Hayne in..when Cam is off, he's off by a long way, and we can't have that risk..

I like today's match as we really have nothing to lose here... it's all about the Kiwis this time and for us it's a one off... a chance for a new brigade to show what they are made of and show the future of the Kangaroos... it's really exciting and I can't wait to see how this match goes...

As much as I like my clubmen, I just don't think Ben Roberts is ready for national duty just yet and will be found out today by a very smart player in Cooper Cronk...I also think the likes of Hayne and Folau will light up the Wellington fog that descends at times there with some electric play...

For the Kiwis, it's all in the forwards... they have a very solid forward pack and one that if it gets it right can do some damage.... however their backline is inexperienced and their bench is not that strong... as opposed to Australia who have one of the best benches I've seen in a test match.

Expect Pricey and Willie to be fired up considering they would have both thought starting spots were a possibility and they will be a big plus coming off the bench for the Aussies.

I say this will be a tight one early, but I just can't see the Kiwis keeping the pace and think the Aussies will get home in the end by 8-12 points... whatever happens though, it should be a cracker...

Wow some incredibly shocking singing of the national anthems from both teams.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Folau in for a try, Smith converts. 6-0 Kangaroos!

Price in Smith converts. 12-0.

Matai high shot on Gasnier.

SENT OFF!

Greg Inglis is in! Cam Smith misses! 16-0

Let the slaughter continue!

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Greg Inglis is in! Cam Smith misses! 16-0

Let the slaughter continue!
    It is looking good for us! And I was thinking that this was going to be a close game :duh:

A slaughter looks right. 20 - nil. 12 on 13 the Kiwis are in for a bad afternoon.

26 nil at half time.

A great debut for Israel with 2 tries.2

70th Minute

Australia 52
    New Zealand 0

This is a slaughter!!!!

FINAL SCORE

New Zealand 0

Australia 58

Tries: Israel Folau (2), Steve Price, Greg Inglis (3), Jarryd Hayne, Brett Stewart, Greg Bird, Willie Mason, Cameron Smith
    Goals: Cameron Smith (7/11)

Congrats to Australia on their biggest every win against NZ - 58 - nil.

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post

This is a slaughter!!!!
    Alot of people precited it would be. The Aussies are just in a class of their own. The halfs were great, espeically bird, which really surprised me. Inglis and Folau were on fire aswell.

The whole team did very well, and only 7 missed tackles. great effort.

And that is why we are world number 1s!

How humiliating for New Zealand!

Simply AWESOME... there is no other word to describe it...

Amazing performances by all in the green and gold, they just were willing to try anything and dazzled with some champagne football... and to think we didn't even have our best side out there... that was the B-Grade to an extent team according to the Kiwis, well it ain't B-Grade anymore after that record performance.

Cooper Cronk, Cam Smith and Greg Bird take a bow... the execution and playmaking today was sublime... they knew when to pass, when to kick, when to run and try to make metres, truly sensational. Cronk was awesome with the kicking game, Smith decisive with his passing and Bird amazed me with his running, he kept breaking the hole and making metres, it was awesome and he definitely if form permits needs to be the NSW number 6 next season.

What can be said about Stewart, Inglis, Hayne and Folau... simply awesome and they are so gifted... it's a real joy to watch them and everytime they get the ball you know something is on. The fantastic thing about today though was that they played for the team, no one tried to do the miracle ball or pass and they were happy to pass to teammates if the play wasn't on.. and their ability to know where a player was without looking, truly just awedropping...they really finished off nicely.

And then what about the experienced forwards... Pricey was simply supreme against his regular clubmates, making metres and really just steamrolling at times.. Petero was hard at it as usual and Ricky should take a bow about Willie... putting him on the bench fired him up and that is one of the best games I've seen from Mase for a long time, damaging in the ruck, clever in the play and just supremely better than the Kiwis, and deserved the try for it.

The rest of the team was solid as nails and without them this would not have been possible, so I don't want to forget them... but there was just so many great performances today, 17 men who played out of their skins and choked the Kiwis from the 2nd minute... it was just awe inspiring.

I guess what makes me so impressed is that now we have real depth and it will be interesting to see who gets picked in the future, because for once, we can say no one's position is settled, not even the regulars... I mean after today's performance there are all these matchups for spots...

- Hunt vs Stewart- Fullback
    - Folau vs Tate- Wing
    - Inglis vs Hodges- Centre
    - Bird vs Lockyer- Five Eighth (ok Lockyer will more than likely be 5/8th)
    - Thurston vs Cronk- Halfback
    - Kite vs Mason- Prop

The future is so bright for Australian football, and I know it has been for some time, but now, with all the players we have and the chances for others to step up in the future, the way forward could be very exciting indeed, and if today is anything to go by, we are in for one heck of a party....