Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Diehard View Post
    (PS - Hey Diehard -I'm getting paid to be up at this time of night . What's your excuse?. )
    Hahaha, I'm a sad case. I'm actually talking politics with a friend on MSN, he is a Liberal.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Hahaha, I'm a sad case. I'm actually talking politics with a friend on MSN, he is a Liberal.
    MATE!!! He rally can't be too good a friend then!

Or is he the last of the liberals true believers?

In his I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is!!! I'll put a redback on the next PM being a Queenslander!!

Leave you 2 to go at it then and I hope you can win him over from the dark side!
    Last edited by Old Diehard; 13-10-07 at 03:31 AM.

Default Centenary Test: New Zealand vs Australia

Generation next on show for the Kiwis

October 13, 2007

Stacey Jones may have been small in stature, but the men entrusted with replacing the former Kiwi playmaker admit his shadow still looms large over New Zealand rugby league.

Kiwi fans will get a glimpse of generation next at Westpac Stadium on Saturday with South Sydney No.7 Jeremy Smith and Bulldogs playmaker Ben Roberts to run out in the halves in the trans-Tasman Test against Australia.

Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall remains in the frame ahead of next year's World Cup provided he can get over his recent injury woes, though Roberts and Smith have been given first crack at forming a combination that could help soften the impact of Jones' retirement from the game.

But anyone looking for a new Stacey has got another thing coming.

"It is hard following him - Stacey Jones was a great player," said Roberts, who made his Test debut against Australia earlier this year.

"But I've got my own style of play, I suppose I've just got to go out there and play that footy.

"We both play different styles of footy, but I must be doing something right if I'm here."

Securing a Kiwi jumper isn't the only battle facing Roberts, who is also locked in a three-way tussle for a halves position at the Bulldogs with Brent Sherwin and Daniel Holdsworth on the scene.

It's a similar situation for Smith at the Rabbitohs, new signing Craig Wing appearing to have a mortgage on the red and green No.7 jumper, leaving the likes of Smith, Ben Rogers and Kiwi youngster Eddie Paea to fight it out for the five-eighth role.

Smith rejects the notion that a good performance on Sunday will give him a leg up at the Bunnies, saying he just wanted a solid performance to help keep him in the picture for a start at next year's World Cup.

"We're going to play it pretty simple and pretty direct, we haven't had a long time together so I think if we try and go out there and play expansive, it might come undone," Smith said.

"Everyone knows that we've got skill, the media hype it up a bit about the bash and whatever.

"We've got a gameplan and the boys have trained well and hopefully come game time the skills will come out.

"It's a young team but an exciting one.

"We're building towards the World Cup, this is probably the first step - it's only a year away so if the boys can get on a bit of a role and get some combinations going for next year, it would be good."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Default Kangaroos wary of windy Wellington

Kangaroos wary of windy Wellington

October 13, 2007

They may be going in as heavy favourites with the bookmakers, but the Kangaroos fear predicted gale force winds could turn Sunday's trans-Tasman Test against New Zealand into a lottery.

The rain and clouds which had blanketed the city all week finally gave way on Saturday as 'Windy Wellington' lived up to its moniker with blustery conditions wreaking havoc with Australia's final training session at Westpac Stadium.

Kangaroos skipper Cameron Smith and the side's other kickers arrived at the ground ahead of the rest of the squad on Saturday in a bid to get a handle on the conditions.

But the extra session didn't seem to do much good with the Melbourne hooker admitting he was none the wiser by the end of the it.

"It's going one way one minute and then it swings round the opposite way," Smith said.

"Both teams have got to play in it, hopefully the boys score a lot of tries and we don't have to make any kicks.

"The kicking boot wasn't on for me today, I actually kicked more with my right than my left, that's how good I was going.

"It should be interesting tomorrow, hopefully the wind dies down a bit."

Similar conditions are predicted for tomorrow afternoon, which will only serve to heighten the spotlight on what will already be a big occasion for the back three for both sides.

Australia's back three of Brett Stewart, Israel Folau and Jarryd Hayne will all be making their Test debut at the 'cake tin'.

On the other side of the field fullback Krisnan Inu has just one international game under his belt and wingers Taniela Tuiaki and Luke Covell are yet to taste Test football.

"It's not a good day to be taking high balls and I'm sure there will be a few around," Australian coach Ricky Stuart said.

"Once you get inside the stadium it's a whirlwind, it just whips around the stadium, it doesn't seem to go in one direction.

"When you see conditions like this of course (you put up bombs) - both teams will be using those conditions and it goes back to the kicker that's got the ability to put it in the right place, but the wind is really unpredictable.

"We don't know what we'll get tomorrow in regards to the weather and every day this week we've had different conditions - fortunately we've got over here early and prepared for it."

But while the spotlight will undoubtedly be on the rookies at the back, Smith said there was just as much pressure on the kickers to get it right.

"The winds changing direction as we're kicking the footy so it's a bit hard to know where you want to place it," he said.

"I think we're going to be trying to keep the balls away from the sidelines as much as we can because it might end up out on the full."

Both sides trained without incident on Saturday and both are expected to take the field as selected earlier in the week.

The Kangaroos go in as $1.36 favourites with TAB Sportsbet with the home side $3 outsiders.

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

This belongs in the Test Match thread. (Moved to Test Thread.)
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 13-10-07 at 04:56 PM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Bennett scoffs at Kiwi advantage

FORMER Australian coach Wayne Bennett has rubbished claims the heavy conditions will benefit New Zealand in tomorrow's one-off Test in Wellington.

Rain continued to tumble in depressing Wellington yesterday, as it has all week.

The ground surface at Westpac Stadium will be greasy and difficult - conditions current Test coach Ricky Stuart claims will benefit the giant New Zealand forward pack.

But Bennett disagreed, saying: "I don't think the conditions will play a part like they used to because the grounds are so much different now. They have much better drainage.

"If it's raining on the day, then that'll have an effect, but it won't be decisive."

http://www.foxsports.com.au

Inglis will wing it

AUSTRALIA star and Clive Churchill medal winner Greg Inglis yesterday told of his plans to roam Westpac Stadium from his wing position tomorrow afternoon.

Inglis was chosen as a winger for the Test against New Zealand in Wellington, although many felt he was unlucky not to claim the five-eighth position given his spectacular performance in the National Rugby League grand final.

But under the instructions of Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart, Inglis will be hunting the ball on every opportunity against the Kiwis.

"It will be up to me to go looking for the ball," Inglis said.

"The ball may not come to us so I may have to go looking for it."

Stuart said he will encourage Inglis to move around the field and play a utility role.

"I want Greg busy," Stuart said. "The more he gets his hands on the ball, the better he is and the better the team looks.

"It will be a matter of Greg leaving his wing and going infield when the time is right," Stuart added

The Australians relaxed yesterday, many playing a game of ten-pin bowling in the afternoon after conducting media interviews.

Light rain continued to fall throughout yesterday in Wellington with gale force winds predicted for today, and there is little doubt Westpac Stadium, although a state of the art venue, will be heavy under foot.

The Australians are concerned about whether English referee Steve Ganson will handle the speed of tomorrow's match.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

Debutants pledge a new era

AUSTRALIA'S eight rookies have made a bold pledge to each other ahead of tomorrow's Test match against New Zealand.

EIGHT fresh faces will tomorrow springboard Australian rugby league into a bold new era.

Sitting united before training yesterday, they will debut for the Kangaroos in a Test match against New Zealand in Wellington.

And The Saturday Daily Telegraph can reveal the eight will hold their own private meeting today to discuss their plans and aspirations of being Australia players for the next eight to ten years.

Brett Stewart, 22, Israel Folau, 18, Jarryd Hayne, 19, Greg Bird, 23, Cooper Cronk, 23, Dallas Johnson, 25, Ryan Hoffman, 23 and Kurt Gidley, 25, will tomorrow afternoon before 20,000 screaming Kiwis fans at Westpac Stadium become the new faces of the mighty Kangaroos - and they claim there is no turning back.

"I want to play for Australia until I finish my career," Bird said.

"I've played for six years now (in the NRL) and want to play for another 10 years. In each of those years I'd love to play Tests for Australia.

"We have spoken about it (playing for Australia long-term). This is our opportunity and we would love to secure Test spots for years to come.

"I'm here through injury but I want to stay here.

"Blokes like Willie Mason, Steve Price, Petero Civoniceva and Nathan Hindmarsh have shown you can play for Australia over a long time. That is my ultimate goal."

Stewart said all the new players would talk among themselves today about their long-term representative goals.

"We'll get together and speak about this opportunity we've been given," Stewart said. "I think the future (of Australia) is in good hands with all these young blokes stepping in.

"To play for your country once is great. To do it for the rest of your career would be amazing. The eight of us will be doing our best.

"We want to cement positions, particularly with the World Cup coming next season."

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said having so many debutants was unique.

"You don't normally have this many for a one-off Test," Stuart said.

"Usually you have more senior players in the team who have been in form.

"But we've had some injuries and these players now get their chance. They have the chance to show they are the future.

"Their performances will dictate whether they can be in the Australian side long-term.

"We don't normally have this many changes but changes have come this year and there is a different feeling in the camp."

Stuart said he has enlisted his senior players to mentor the rookies.

Price, Civoniceva, Hindmarsh, Mason and Mark Gasnier have been told to communicate with the youngsters and set a strong example.

"They have to show the younger blokes how to act and how to dress; how to act when you are an Australian representative," Stuart said.

"But the younger blokes in our squad are all level-headed. They are coming in younger these days and are maturing quicker. It is a well-balanced side."

Senior prop Brent Kite has welcomed the introduction of the rookies.

"It has been a long season for everyone," Kite said.

"But these blokes are having their first crack so they have brought a lot of energy to the whole team."

Australia trained yesterday at Rugby League Park in Wellington - home of the Hurricanes Super 14 franchise. It was Australia's best hit-out since arriving.

The constant rain has made all training fields around Wellington boggy and heavy.

Stuart contacted Hurricanes officials on Thursday night to use the club's grounds in the Wellington suburb of Newtown.

"Today was our most important day training-wise leading into the match," Stuart said.

"We feel comfortable there have been no mishaps."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    This belongs in the Test Match thread. (Moved to Test Thread.)
    Sorry..Thankyou

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

No luck on converting the Liberal mate yet. He is also an AFL fan which is doubly disappointing.

We were actually discussing making our own political party and what policies we could actually agree on, just for fun.

Wow that is an insight into how boring I can be sometimes!

I am going to be all lost at sea when this Test Match is over. We need summer rugby league!

Preview: Kangaroos v Kiwis

New Zealand captain Roy Asotasi is looking at this weekend's centenary test against Australia as the dawning of 'a new era'.

The Auckland-born South Sydney prop has replaced Kiwi legend Ruben Wiki as captain for Sunday's match at Wellington's Westpac Stadium.

In addition to Wiki, influential Catalans half-back Stacey Jones, veteran centre Nigel Vagana and Tri Nations-winning coach Brian McClennan have all left the New Zealand set-up.

And Asotasi believes the new-look home team is in fine fettle heading into the match against their arch-rivals.

"It is a team picked on form and that's a rarity for the Kiwis," Asotasi told The Dominion Post.

"Usually there's some players carrying injury, some of the regulars missing out. Nearly all this team has been playing finals football.

"As the captain, that gives you a lot of confidence.

"It's the start of a new era. You're going to see some of these faces around for a long time.

"The Aussies have lost a few players, so have we. It's a good opportunity for us to build, and extending the number of Kiwis will just increase the pressure on players to hold their place. That's going to improve the team performance."

Australia travel south without key playmakers Jonathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer.

Youngsters Cooper Cronk and Greg Bird fill in, with coach Ricky Stuart packing his squad with forwards, with Willie Mason, Steve Price and Michael Crocker selected as interchange players.

And Stuart anticipates a fresh tactical approach from Kiwi counterpart Gary Kemble given New Zealand's heavily revised line-up.

"They're going to have to try to do something different to what they've been previously doing," said Stuart.

"They haven't been able to get us before in just wanting to run through us and power over the top of us, so they probably will look to do something different.

"I think that would be certainly wise. That's probably a smart coaching tactic. They've usually relied on just their brutal power and size and it hasn't worked for them before."

New Zealand: Krisnan Inu Luke Covell, Steve Matai, Paul Whatuira, Taniela Tuiaki, Ben Roberts, Jeremy Smith, Roy Asotasi (captain), Dene Halatau, Fuifui Moimoi, Simon Mannering, Frank Pritchard, Jeremy Smith; David Faiumu, Shontayne Hape, Sam Rapira, Jeff Lima

Australia: Brett Stewart, Greg Inglis, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Bird, Cooper Cronk, Brent Kite, Cameron Smith (captain), Petero Civoniceva, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ryan Hoffman; Dallas Johnson, Kurt Gidley, Willie Mason, Steve Price, Michael Crocker

Sportal NZ

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

um when does this start.?
    wasnt it meant to be this weekend..?

Quote Originally Posted by hugebrianfan View Post
    um when does this start.?
    wasnt it meant to be this weekend..?
    12:30pm-3pm NINE.

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

what tonight..?

QLD Cup Titan

Sunday arvo