Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New NSW coach Craig Bellamy reveals his plans
    By Nick Walshaw

October 11, 2007

CRAIG Bellamy is ready to lay everything on the line for NSW - even if it means exposing the secret weaknesses of Melbourne heroes Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith and Israel Folau.

In a revealing interview with The Daily Telegraph , Bellamy has vowed to go "all the way" in his push to return Origin pride south of the Tweed in 2008.

And the new Blues coach, who took the Storm to a premiership just 11 days ago, concedes that could mean plotting against eight potential Queenslanders - including Inglis, Smith, Folau, Billy Slater, Dallas Johnson, Michael Crocker, Antonio Kaufusi and Cooper Cronk.

"Yeah, I'll go all the way," Bellamy said yesterday. "But, of course, knowing what they're gonna do is one thing . . . stopping them is something else entirely."

Announced as the Blues' new coach on Tuesday, Bellamy also spoke of his plans to spend the next month brainstorming with league identities Ricky Stuart, Phil Gould and the Johns brothers.

The Melbourne coach even hinted that infamous cage fighter and wrestling coach John Donehue could be given a Blues jersey.

Exposing Storm secrets

Talk about insider trading. Bellamy not only boasts the good oil on up to eight potential Maroons, he has also spent two years assisting the Kangaroos and five alongside Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva and Justin Hodges in Brisbane.

"But you don't need a degree in rocket science to realise things like Greg Inglis has a strong right hand fend," Bellamy said.

"And I'm not the only bloke in the NRL who can tell you a bit about Cameron Smith either."

But, mate, you've made them Origin stars. Kangaroos. NRL premiers. Surely, you know them better than anyone else on the planet?

"Well," he shrugs, "I hope so."

The club drain

No one can argue the strain Origin puts on NRL coaches. In the past 16 years, only two NSW mentors - Phil Gould and Graham Murray - have got their sides to finish any higher than ninth.

The success rate of NRL sides without their Origin coach is an ordinary 39 per cent.

"Origin is certainly a drain on our clubs already," Bellamy concedes. "We had seven players in Origin this year with possibly more next season.

"So I could sit here and tell you the NSW job won't take time away from my club footy (demands). But at times it probably will.

"So that's why I'll have good assistants in place to make sure Melbourne doesn't suffer.

"Last year we got through it. We only lost the one game throughout the Origin period against Manly at Brookvale - when we got done by a point. "We get criticised for resting players late in the season too but we realised the importance of it."

Coaching test

But does he consider the Origin role a gamble?

"I've never thought of it like that. All coaches have a competitive edge, we wouldn't be doing what we do otherwise. And Origin gives you the opportunity to test yourself at the highest possible level."

Origin passion

Queenslanders, so we keep being told, are more passionate about Origin. Does Bellamy believe that?

"Mate, no idea because I've never been involved before. Whenever I've watched Origin in the past I've been like everyone else. A spectator. I've had no reason to analyse the games."

Andrew Johns

Bellamy says he wants both Andrew and Matthew Johns involved in the Blues' camp next season if their TV commitments allow it.

"Obviously, the pair of them have great footy brains. We used Matty quite a bit this year in Melbourne and he actually found a couple of chinks in our armour.

"That's something he does well." Johns has kept a low profile since revealing his drug and depression problems. While the Newcastle champion failed to make his lap of honour at Telstra Stadium on grand final night, Bellamy hopes to have him at the venue next year.

Using Origin legends

"Mate, we're not going to be doing things just because Queensland do. I have a month off from Melbourne at the moment and I'll use that time to talk with people like Ricky Stuart and Phil Gould.

"In four or five weeks I'll know what people I want to use and where."

2007 series loss

Bellamy refuses to spend any time discussing the 2007 NSW Origin campaign under coach Graham Murray.

"Because that was last year and we won't be looking back. I might glance over the games but NSW will have a different side, Queensland will have a different side . . . we'll be planning for 2008."

New Zealanders in Origin

"No. After more than 20 years Origin is still the game that stops Australia's east coast. We don't need to tinker with that.

"But what I'd like to see changed are the eligibility laws. Players deciding between NSW and Queensland, Australia and New Zealand . . . they shouldn't have that choice.

"I don't know what the right rule is. That's the tough question. But we do need something in place."

Wrestlemania

And, finally, the real Origin question everyone wants to know: Will infamous cage fighter and wrestling coach John Donehue be involved with the Blues in 2008? "Yeah," Bellamy laughs. "Might be".
    Telegraph

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

Congratulations to him

Hes lead the storms to victory, lets hope he does it for nsw.

Congrats to Bellamy... he will do us New South Welshman proud I am sure...

I think that the whole dynasty thing TBH is a crock.. this years series might have been won 2-0 by QLD before NSW won the last one, but it was tight and torrid the whole way through... as one member said, it was the number 7's that made the difference.

I really believe SOO is alive and well, and Bellamy will ensure NSW are ready from day dot with this one... we still need to find a solid number 7 though, if we can do that, then we will be set, but ATM, Queensland will have advantage on that alone IMO...

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

with him im sure we'll be able to crush QLD..

sorry qld fans