Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy
    I think it is just one of those things where not everyone is going to agree.
    When it comes to things like this, someone is allways going to cop the raw end of the stick......I hope it happens to know one........
    I am happy to read that atleast some people can respect anothers opinion.

I have never worked for a large company and have always been self employed since finishing my apprenticeship some 16 years ago. I guess this is why, maybe, I don't quite understand a lot of the fear people are facing.........
    I wish you all the best....... eace:
    Hopefully you can stay self employed for the rest of your working life. If you are forced out by the big boys and have to work for them, I hope they don't treat you like s***.

Quote Originally Posted by Eel 33
    Hopefully you can stay self employed for the rest of your working life. If you are forced out by the big boys and have to work for them, I hope they don't treat you like s***.
    That's the plan Eel 33.
    I don't think I need to worry about being taken over by the big companies.
    Smithy
    Titan Fan #1
    Bring on 2007

i want to know something

i used to be employed at the subway in the valley metro plaza about just over a year ago just after i started there the manager who hired me left to persue another career option.

when the new manager arrived - he used to pick on me, treat me like i was stupid and worse off every day during my holidays i had a 6am - 2pm start (ok the money was great but i was exhausted)

due to some misinformation and i had some time off because i had tonsilitis he had a go at me and yelled at me for at least 1/2 an hour then told me to leave

there was no reason whatsoever why i was fired.

later on i need to reference i had previously worked there and when a friend of mine rung him up for a 'reference' he bad named me.

was this illegal?

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

HodgoBerro, you could have a case if this was documented or witnessed by someone else. This sounds like a good case of discrimination. Don't worry about the "bad" reference, this person will be found out shortly and get the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eel 33
    HodgoBerro, you could have a case if this was documented or witnessed by someone else. This sounds like a good case of discrimination. Don't worry about the "bad" reference, this person will be found out shortly and get the same treatment.
    Hodgoberro....could be something in it Ithink........you should have someone have a look at it.........It depends on what sought of employee you were....fultime.......partime.etc.
    I would definetly have it looked at............
    Smithy
    Titan Fan #1
    Bring on 2007

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by HodgoBerro
    i want to know something

i used to be employed at the subway in the valley metro plaza about just over a year ago just after i started there the manager who hired me left to persue another career option.

when the new manager arrived - he used to pick on me, treat me like i was stupid and worse off every day during my holidays i had a 6am - 2pm start (ok the money was great but i was exhausted)

due to some misinformation and i had some time off because i had tonsilitis he had a go at me and yelled at me for at least 1/2 an hour then told me to leave

there was no reason whatsoever why i was fired.

later on i need to reference i had previously worked there and when a friend of mine rung him up for a 'reference' he bad named me.

was this illegal?
    Unfortunately as a casual (i assume your'e a part time casual) you weren't even covered by the old industrial laws, and also there is nothing you can do, your boss had the right to sack you, i know that sux but unfortunately that is life.cya

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy
    Hodgoberro....could be something in it Ithink........you should have someone have a look at it.........It depends on what sought of employee you were....fultime.......partime.etc.
    I would definetly have it looked at............
    I had looked at it just after i posted the question - i had to make a complaint 21 days after my dismissial...

Pisses me right off

but - just letting you know he's still at that subway so if you want to give him a piece of your mind.... well you've got all the chances in the world

On ABC2 now there are some experts debating Work "Choices" on the Difference of Opinion program.

I advise everyone to watch it.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

They just asked the studio audience who supports Work NO Choices, believes it is fair.

Two people raised their hands. Everyone else raised their hand against it.

The Howard stooge responded by saying "This just illustrates how effective the ACTU's marketing campaign has been..."

The studio burst into laughter.

Heaven forbid people be able to think for themselves!
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 15-08-07 at 05:56 PM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    On ABC2 now there are some experts debating Work "Choices" on the Difference of Opinion program.
    What would John McClane (the Bruce Willis Diehard character, for those of you who aren't DIEHARD ) have to say about Work Choices? Yippy-yae-ay, mother-f........., as he blasts John Howard full of 9mm projectiles? We could only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    What would John McClane (the Bruce Willis Diehard character, for those of you who aren't DIEHARD ) have to say about Work Choices? Yippy-yae-ay, mother-f........., as he blasts John Howard full of 9mm projectiles? We could only hope!
    Hell yea. That's my reoccuring dream. I'll probably get arrested by ASIO/AFP storm troopers now...

Gallop the former WA Premier basically got a standing ovation by the audience when he gave his final thoughts.

There is a massive ground swell against these laws.

Even if you are lucky enough to be in the upper crust and enjoying the prosperity of the economy. One of the few who will be in a strong position to individually bargain. Think of the people left at the bottom of the food chain. People trying to better themselves. you may have climbed the ladder of success. But what about your children, friends, family, parents? What if you hit tough times and you are knocked back down the the earth with the rest of us.

Australia IS the nation of the fair go. This law destroys that. The fundamental fabric of our nation. We have to defend it.

This was always on Howards agenda. Yet he didn't whisper about it before the last election. We didn't vote for this! How democratic is that?! Is that in the best interests of Australians? I guess he knows better than the collective opinions of the nation? We need our hands held by the Liberal Party of Australia and if we dare have another opinion, it isn't of our own voliation, conclusions and merit, it is because we were brain washed by the evil Trade Unions...

There aren't too many AWBs atm, but if the Liberals get back in, it will send the green light out. Labour costs is one of businesses greatest expenses, business cut costs to ensure the highest profit possible. This will be used as a tool to cut into the pockets of workers. And what happens when the economy cools down, this will be used as a tool to further save costs.

And when OUR nation is prospering, shouldn't we ALL enjoy the profits. I also see profits in many many other terms than financial. Quality of life and family quickly spring to mind.

This is divide and conquer.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 15-08-07 at 05:58 PM.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

That's fine from an employers position. But a lot of ppl are worried because they work for big companies who are looking to squeeze as many ppl out as possible to increase profits for shareholders and their own wallets. The cutting out of entitlements is wrong, the removal of the right to strike is also wrong. I'm not going to sit here and bore you. I can see Smithy's view and appreciate it for what it is, but this whole situation is going to get worse before it gets better.
    The new ir laws that were introuduced only affetced companies with less than 300 employees, other wise your still on old laws, ie like me a casual at coles.

(i know this is old but the thread got bumped and i went back)

although i did find that abc thing interesting.

I don't think I have ever worked at a workplace with more than 100 employees and I have had quite a few jobs.

Also how long until some companies restructure into smaller workplaces to exploit this law.

These unfair dismissal laws...or lack of are a disgrace. This is a terrible axe to have hanging over people. Great having such uncertainty and unstablity in peoples lives.

We work to live, under these new IR laws, Australians are living to WORK.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 16-08-07 at 04:13 PM.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

We work to live, under these new IR laws, Australians are living to WORK.
    This was happening long before the ir laws were brought in, whilst i agree with most of your points and have been outragged, after the first few months, how many stories did you see of people being sackedf or no reason etc etc, it seems to have calmed down and stability in the workplace is returning to somewhat decent levels.

I just see the plus side i guess,i wish that coles could do it, you have some people working their that don't do their tasks, offload their work to others and just chill out at work on a decent wage, and they can't be sacked despite not pulling i nthe hard yards for the team.

Of course their are those that will use the ir laws to exploit workers, but whats new, its not like bosses and companies around the world have only suddenly started exploiting employees or giving them a raw deal.