Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default News reporter assaulted by Broncos supporters in Melbourne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdrycQ_lmDw

Channal 7 reporter assaulted during a live broadcast from Broncos supporters at Olympic park yesterday.

Disgrassfull, they should find these idiots and hang them.

This is why our code will never reach its potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Titan One Clubman

What a bunch of gutless W@nkers. Attacking a reporter in a group as well. Real tough....

Find them and chuck them in the slammer.

Thats not on... Hope they get the book thrown at them for this.

How stupid doing that on film... Don't you think the camera man should have stepped in and tried to do something though? :/

People will start labelling Broncos fans as disgraces to the code but a couple wankers who decide to have too many beers at the footy do not represent an entire clubs fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    How stupid doing that on film... Don't you think the camera man should have stepped in and tried to do something though? :/
    Yeah I was thinking that as well, the only thing I can think of is that he wanted to make sure he got the idiots on camera so that it is easier to charge them. But either way it is pretty bad to watch, those "fans" are a disgrace to the game of rugby league.

People will start labelling Broncos fans as disgraces to the code but a couple wankers who decide to have too many beers at the footy do not represent an entire clubs fan base.
    Broncos' bashers don't need much to crawl out of the woodwork........:duh:

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

i think the cameraman tries to help him when the camera view is at the sky, i reckon ur right that he was trying to get some footage to make it easier to catch them.

Charge them ,then sue them..$$$$$$$$$$$$

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Thats not on... Hope they get the book thrown at them for this.

Only thing I have to say about this is... welcome to our world...

I hope all those Broncos supporters who called our supporters the scum of the earth on their forums and the media websites after the incident with the firework, and who said they'd never turn up to a game of ours again as our fanbase was unruly and louts, realise just how bad it feels now to be branded like that.

I wish this on no one ever, and in no way to I condone what happened or think it's funny... but I just hope that now it has happened, those who are now defending their club to the hilt, will realise why we defended our club so strongly during the crowd problems we had...

It's never the whole club at fault, it's always one or two supporters who ruin it for the rest... a small group who either just dress up in gear to cause trouble, or get so intoxicated that they blindly just want to start problems.

I hope they get arrested and they're given the correct punishment... because that is not on, and I hope the reporter is ok... doesn't look good at all.

Titan CEO

I dont like blaming it on alcohol. These guys are just moron thugs, simple.

News chief lashes 'cowardly' attackers
    Dan Harrison
    September 10, 2007 - 12:37PM

Channel Seven's news chief has lashed out at a group of men who assaulted one of his reporters after a rugby league match in Melbourne last night, branding the attack "cowardly and despicable."

Brisbane-based sports reporter Ben Davis was tackled to the ground about 6.20pm as he completed a live cross outside Olympic Park, where the Melbourne Storm had earlier defeated the Brisbane Broncos.

Mr Davis was hit in the head several times and suffered cuts to his hands and wrists.

Police have released images of men they wish to speak to about the attack.

Channel Seven's head of news and current affairs Peter Meakin said he could not understand the motives of the men responsible.

But he said there was nothing new in reporters and cameramen being attacked in the course of their work.

"You tend to run into people in their worst moments and they tend not to appreciate it," Mr Meakin said.

He said the network already provided safety training for its staff and there was little else it could do to prevent such incidents.

"The only thing we could do would be to say we're not going to cover any stories with an element of danger and we certainly won't be doing that," he said.

He said it was not feasible to provide extra security for crews on regular assignments.

"It's realistic in locations like Iraq and Afghanistan, but not in Melbourne."

The union representing media workers is calling for greater communication and cooperation between police, sporting codes and media companies on the issue of safety around sporting venues.

"These days if your side loses, in particular I suppose in the finals, there will be a small group of people who take their sport very seriously and just lose it when their team loses," said Mark Ryan, the assistant federal secretary of the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance.

"Certainly I think both the NRL in this particular case, and the other peak codes should be sitting down with the media employers and the various police forces to assess the situation and see what may need to be done,"

He said violence against journalists performing "bread and butter" assignments such as reporting on court cases or sporting events was on the rise.

"There has been a growing trend of people just laying the slipper in and going the bash," he said.

"There seems to be a lot more attacks on journalists just doing their ordinary work."

In November last year, protesters turned on a Channel Ten crew who were covering demonstrations outside the G20 summit in Melbourne.

In May last year, entertainer Barry Humphries punched freelance photographer Malcolm Ladd in the face as he tried to photograph the star at a Sydney eatery.

In January that year, former Labor leader Mark Latham snatched a camera from News Limited photographer Ross Schultz, took it home and smashed it.

Channel Seven cameraman Matt Rose and freelance sound recordist Daniel McCarthy were attacked by supporters of terror suspects outside Melbourne Magistrates Court in November 2005.

Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit http://www.crimestoppers.com.au.

Two things are surprising me about this:

1. Why hasn't Brisbane or the NRL said anything about this... with every other issue there is an immediate response, but so far nothing on this...

2. Why wasn't there better security outside Olympic Park... I know it was quite a while after the game, but I think all grounds need to think about security for next season... as much as I hate going to fort knox aka. Telstra Stadium... at least you know the police are there after a match in case idiots decide to do things like this.

Trouble like this should have been identified when they walked through the gate! No one goes to the footy to see a guaranteed thumping of their team, so when security saw Broncos jerseys they should have been thinking "why are they here?"

Totally avoidable incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    Trouble like this should have been identified when they walked through the gate! No one goes to the footy to see a guaranteed thumping of their team, so when security saw Broncos jerseys they should have been thinking "why are they here?"

Totally avoidable incident.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

I like conspirecy theories:

Maybe Afl decided to give this reporter a smack in the mouth, after 7 let loose those names in the press about there drug cheats, they saw an advantage with Bronocs playing Storm, and thought they could kick League in the guts at the same time.

Soup up a couple of thugs, and give them free drinks all night, free jumpers and fill there head with hate, then just point and let them loose.

I know this didnt happen, but would make for a great story!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post

Maybe Afl decided to give this reporter a smack in the mouth, after 7 let loose those names in the press about there drug cheats, they saw an advantage with Bronocs playing Storm, and thought they could kick League in the guts at the same time.

Soup up a couple of thugs, and give them free drinks all night, free jumpers and fill there head with hate, then just point and let them loose.

:duh:

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Now if this was the other way around and made League look bad, I'd wonder if you weren't Rebecca Wilson giving your article a run before print.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan One Clubman

Now we don't know that for sure.. We just assume and use logic to come to the conclusion it didn't happen. The AFL knew we'd react like this so have gone the double bluff!
    Last edited by Social Loafer; 10-09-07 at 04:00 PM.