Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jake Webster released from Titans, signs with Hull KR

just caught the end of a news story where the titans have released Jake Webster to go to England

Wednesday 29 Aug 2007 09:15
    by (Press Release)
    Source: www.titans.com.au

New Zealand International Jake Webster will be released from his playing contract by the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans at the close of the 2007 NRL season.

Webster who represented New Zealand this year will continue his career in the UK Super League.

Managing Director Michael Searle said, "Jake had personally approached us on Monday of this week about a possible release to pursue an opportunity to play in the centres for a UK Super League team. Jake has always expressed a desire to play in the centres and this combined with a substantial increase in his playing fee made this an opportunity that he felt he could not pass up. With this in mind we have agreed to mutually terminate his agreement at season's end.

"Jake formed part of an historic and very important group of originals at the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans and we wish him all the best."

With competition for outside back positions at the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans set to increase in 2008 following the signing of exciting flyers Brenton Bowen and Ben Jefferies, Coach John Cartwright says he understands Webster's decision.

Cartwright said, "He has received a huge offer and to be fair we tried to put ourselves in the same position as Jake and the reality is that there are no guarantees for starting positions at the club looking ahead to 2008."

It's a shame to hear, but TBH, he hasn't been at his best for the Titans in 2007 and I wish him all the best with his career in Super League... he has decided he has more opportunities there and I guess if a player doesn't want to give his all to the club, you may as well let them go... if they go the right way about things, which is exactly what Jake did...

WE WILL MISS YOU JAKE, THANKS FOR THE SERVICE TO THE CLUB AND ALL THE BEST IN ENGLAND...

I wish him all the luck.
    He probably hasn't lived up to his full potential with us, so hopefully he can hit his straps in the centres over in the UK.

his profile will probably still be on the titans website in 5 years time. but i suppose thats a post for the website whinge thread isn't it? i don't think he will be missed all that much and his boots won't be too hard to fill. hopefully the money which is made free could be used to buy another quality centre. Personally i think it's a bit silly to tie up a lot of money with wingers, i mean there was Webster, Bowen, Walker, Petersen, Jefferies and then you had guys like nat barnes and shannon walker who could probably cover the wing position if needed. What is the word on Jefferies, will he be taking dellany's spot in the centres or playing for a wing spot?
    Last edited by Kelvinator; 29-08-07 at 04:40 PM.

hope he dose well even though i think hes a bit of a .....so and so for leaveing oz to go to the big bucks in the uk
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"

Junior Titan

Will miss him but it will free a lot of money up in the cap.
    "Go the Titans"

Bit of a shame to see Jake leave. Been a big fan of his over the last 3-4 years and was ecstatic to see him move back to QLD.

The money factor must have been a really big motive though seeing as he moved back this way to be closer to his family.....

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Agree,seems strange he moved back to S.E Qld to be near his family and now decides to go to england?

Must say he didnt seem as dominant in games as in previous years,might have been something happening off field.

Anyway,enjoy the weather in england

bet he go well casue he be playing in the centers
    he never got a shot
    played 1 game there then forced to wing due to injury's

big loss i rkn

Good Luck Jake Webster

Hope you do well with what you have chosen!!

Good Player, and i hope his oppertunity arrises where he wants to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Good Luck, Jake. As mention never did get much of a chance to play your best. Salary Cap issues again come into it. Injuries caused problems this year and I'm affaid that''s part of the game.

I would have liked to have seen the original team members play this week-end just to see how they would of gone. But not to be.

Anyhow Best Wishes Jake

Titan CEO

According to the SMH they reckon the deal could be worth upto $900,000 for the three years. big fan of Webby but he isnt worth anywhere near that.

Junior Titan

Good luck in the UK Jake! Wishing you al the best and an injury free contract. Thanks for your contribution to Aussie NRL and Titans debut year.

PW
    Defeat is not when you fall down but when you refuse to get up.

QLD Cup Titan

In seeing Webster come through ther ranks at the Storm I thought he would make a massive impact with the Titans but I believe overall he has been disappointing.