Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Aaron Payne is a north Queenslader to his bootstraps
    Matt Marshall
    September 21, 2007

HE'S a local boy, owns and rides horses, loves fishing, a punt and putting a smile on the face of his two-year-old nephew Connor.
    Anyway you look at it, Aaron Payne is THE quintessential North Queensland Cowboy.

Fiercely competitive but ultra laid back, a straight shooter with no bulldust about him, what you see is what you get with the Cowboys' vice-captain.

"Aaron's very much a man's man, I wouldn't say he's a metrosexual, let's put it that way," Payne's wife Laura explains.

Metrosexual? No way. Payne is old school, the real deal, a product and shining example of the Cowboys' first-rate development system.

A graduate of Townsville's proud league nursery Kirwan High, on the doorstep of the Cowboys' Thuringowa HQ, at just 24 Payne is an established top-tier NRL player.

Already boasting 109 NRL games, he looms large in the shadows of representative honours, living the dream all North Queensland kids aspire to.

And it means the world to him, which is why a secret meeting with coach Graham Murray in late July left him feeling physically sick and stricken with panic.

"After that Tigers game (round 20's 54-10 humiliation ? incidentally the club's last loss) Graham took me aside and told me I needed to pick up my act or I wouldn't be picked in the team," Payne said.

"That gave me a real reality check. It was hard, he told me I needed to improve or I was gone and it's what I needed to hear.

"It made me realise I wasn't doing enough extras, it was the best wake-up call I could have got. My confidence was down, my mindset wasn't right, and that's half the battle in the modern game."

The 2006 Cowboy of the Year, Payne's significance to North Queensland's success is often lost in the lyrical praise of star duo Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen, but not in the assessment of fellow Townsville junior and league legend Gorden Tallis.

"No doubt Thurston and Bowen are great players, but his (Payne's) form has been the key to the Cowboys turning around their season," Tallis said. "He just carved the Warriors up and his combination with (David) Faiumu is lethal."

Tallis knows that for local product Payne, achieving success on the NRL stage for the proud league region is personal.

"Aaron is very proud of the team, very proud of the region and he hurts when they aren't going well," Tallis said. "No one likes to lose, but the best players . . . it kills them to lose.

"Aaron has that in him and I know it would mean a great deal to him to be a part of their first premiership side."

Tallis has played a hands-on role in the club's finals campaign and rates no player more important to their structure.

According to the former Kangaroos skipper, Payne's reversal of form since round 20 has been the determining factor in the Cowboys' subsequent seven-game winning streak.

"I'm not sure the reason but he definitely lost some confidence in the middle of the season. He wasn't getting out of dummy-half. But now he is taking them on and the team is benefiting," Tallis observes. "He is getting better and better each week and I thought he was their best player against the Warriors. He kept asking the questions and they didn't have the answers. I think he might have been trying a bit hard (when he was struggling)."

Trying too hard. It's a trait burnt in Payne's character like a scar.

"He works very hard in regards to everything, if he does a job he'll always do a job well, he's always 100 per cent," Laura says. "He hates losing, hates it. He must win, no matter what he does, he must win."

No half-measures, it's the overriding theme of Payne's character.

"He doesn't make excuses, he has a real honest reflection," says former assistant coach Neil Henry, who spent four years working with Payne. "He is a competitor. He embodies the spirit of the region. He has a real close connection to the area, he was raised there, his family and friends are there, he takes it personally."

As he has matured, Payne has come to realise football is a part of life, not the other way around, but he remains a perfectionist to the core.

"I'm always the first to admit I'm not playing well, but I've learned over time that football is not the be-all and end-all," he said. "I've got a lot better perspective now. It's football, I love it, but I've seen things happen to my family and friends in life that have made me take a backward step and put football into perspective a lot more."

Football is central to Payne's life. His father Mark represented Queensland in 1979 and his younger brothers Dean and Brady are playing in the Cowboys system and it is this family that keeps him grounded.

Payne relies immeasurably on his family, most particularly his older sister Amie, to give him honest advice.

"My grandmother and father-in-law are biased, even when I knock on they blame someone else, they think I'm doing everything perfect," Payne says. "But the rest of the family know how angry I get, yet they can be honest with me, and they always know the right thing to say. It helps."

Payne and his wife Laura Richardson ? an occupational therapy student at Townsville's James Cook University ? married young in December, 2005, on his grandparents' property. Aaron would not have it any other way.

"Family is number one in his life," Laura said. "We always see his family and my family every week. We live two minutes away from my mum and dad and next door to my aunty, we're all really close."

Away from football, Payne shares interests that confirm his billing as a "man's man".

He regularly frequents the "Reef" on his 5.1-metre tinny "Snag" and often rides his retired racehorse Bold Sweeper on his in-laws' 40-hectare property Kajila.

Payne has shares in other horses, including promising three-year-old Contested Bid and untried two-year-old Kickitbacklow, but it's grazing gelding Bold Sweeper that remains the apple of his eye.

"I normally wouldn't take a horse but when he retired, I had to have him," Payne says. "He's my sentimental favourite, he's got a beautiful nature."

Aaron Payne is living the dream of most North Queensland boys. But he won't let the dream consume him.
    Courier Mail

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Kennedy returns to train
    September 21, 2007

MANLY threw a curve ball into the NRL finals series today by summoning retired star Ben Kennedy ahead of the preliminary final against North Queensland tomorrow.

With injury clouds over second rower Glenn Stewart and wing Chris Hicks, a Sea Eagles spokesman said today that former Australia lock Kennedy's $2 contract with the club could be activated.

Kennedy is due to fly to Sydney from Brisbane later today, although his manager thought the chances of him playing were "remote".

"He'll be training tonight, we'll see how he is," Sea Eagles media manager Peter Peters said on Sydney radio station 2KY.

"He'll be training and he'll be there tomorrow night.

"He's eligible, the contract's been registered, we could play him if we saw fit to play him.

"I'm picking him up at the airport, he'll be at Brooky (Brookvale Oval) training tonight, and we'll have him there tomorrow night."

Kennedy's manager, Mike Newton, said that Kennedy, who retired after last season, was enjoying the situation.

"(Kennedy) thinks it's all very funny," Newton said on the Macquarie Network.

"He has said that he'll make himself available ... but the likelihood of him playing is remote."

Peters said that Stewart and Hicks trained lightly yesterday and had to impress coaching staff at this evening's session to be included for the grand final qualifier against the in-form Cowboys.

Stewart's chances were "50/50" with Hicks's "probably a bit less", Peters said.

AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Manly squashes Kennedy rumour :duh:

September 21, 2007

MANLY has quickly backed down from a claim former captain Ben Kennedy could make a surprise comeback in tomorrow's NRL preliminary final, saying it was a joke taken too far.

Manly media manager Peter Peters created a wave of controversy this morning by claiming on Sydney radio that the club could activate Kennedy's $2 contract to cover for injured back rower Glenn Stewart against North Queensland.

But the club has quickly refuted those claims.

"Ben Kennedy will not play for the Sea Eagles this weekend," said a statement on the Manly website.

"Ben Kennedy will not play in the grand final if we qualify."

The speculation created such a stir, the club's coach Des Hasler and chief executive Grant Mayer both contacted the NRL to try and stop the rumours.

NRL director of communications John Brady released a short email claiming it was a joke that had gone too far.

"Contrary to a joke that has turned into a rumour Manly are assuring everyone that Ben Kennedy is not playing on Saturday, he is not on stand by, he is not part of the club's playing plans in any way," said Brady's email.

"I've had (Manly coach) Des Hasler and (Manly chief executive) Grant Mayer both ask that I help reinforce this one as the rumour mill has somehow kicked into over-drive."

The Sea Eagles have two injury concerns ahead of tomorrow's clash with the Cowboys, back rower Stewart and winger Chris Hicks both in serious doubt with ankle injuries.

Peters claimed he was collecting 33-year-old Kennedy from the airport today and he would train with the club tonight.

"He'll be training tonight, we'll see how he is," he told radio station 2KY.

"He'll be training and he'll be there tomorrow night.

"He's eligible, the contract's been registered, we could play him if we saw fit to play him.

"I'm picking him up at the airport, he'll be at Brooky (Brookvale Oval) training tonight and we'll have him there tomorrow night."

North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston dismissed the speculation surrounding Kennedy prior to the Cowboys' final training session this morning.

"Are you serious?" he said, after initially laughing at the question.

Kennedy's manager Mike Newton said Kennedy, who retired after last season, was enjoying the situation.

"He (Kennedy) thinks it's all very funny," Newton told the Macquarie Network.

"He has said that he'll make himself available ... but the likelihood of him playing is remote."

Peters said Stewart and Hicks trained lightly yesterday and will need to impress coaching staff at this evening's session to be included for the Sydney Football Stadium match.

He said Stewart's chances were "50/50" and Hicks' "probably a bit less".

Peters suggested Kennedy was fit enough to get through an NRL match.

"He's been playing beach volleyball with his wife so he's very fit," he said.

AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Lyon warns Manly not to waste whole year

September 21, 2007

Manly five-eighth Jamie Lyon says the Sea Eagles' impressive season will count for nothing if they fail to reach this year's NRL grand final.

Lyon delivered the sobering warning to his teammates ahead of Saturday's preliminary final against North Queensland at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The winner of Saturday's clash qualifies for next week's grand final against either Melbourne or Parramatta, and Lyon says the Sea Eagles will need to pull out their best effort this year to topple the red-hot Cowboys.

"It's a big game, all up until now means nothing," he said.

"It's what you do with it that counts.

"We've got one game to get us into the grand final and hopefully it's our best game of the season."

Lyon, along with veteran Steve Menzies, are the only two Sea Eagles players to have reached the second last weekend of an NRL season.

Outgoing hooker Michael Monaghan says the lack of finals experience has only heightened the desire because the players realise opportunities to win premierships don't come around easily.

"It's my seventh year of first grade and this is the first time I've been this far in the competition," said Monaghan.

"It's an opportunity you don't get too often and we are mindful to make the most of it."

The Sea Eagles also have several players due to leave at the end of 2007, including Monaghan, winger Chris Hicks (both Warrington) and utility Travis Burns (North Queensland).

Lock Luke Williamson could also be headed elsewhere as he is off contract and unlikely to secure a deal to stay at the club.

But Monaghan said the emotion surrounding possible departures was not a motivating factor for the silvertails.

"I really haven't thought about it, I'm a pretty unemotional bloke to be honest," he said.

"Maybe when the season is finished I will sit back and think about it but at the moment I'm just looking forward to playing in a grand final qualifier because I've never done that in my career and it's certainly something I look forward to."

Returning prop Brent Kite says the Sea Eagles will need to fire amongst the forwards to beat the Cowboys, claiming the Manly pack has to stunt the growing confidence and momentum amongst North Queensland's under-rated stand-ins.

The Cowboys are without four regular starting forwards due to injury, and prop Carl Webb should make it five as he struggles with a calf strain.

However, their `no-name' forwards have stood tall in recent weeks and dominated noted power sides the Bulldogs and the New Zealand Warriors.

"They've knocked off some physical teams in the last few weeks and are going well," said Kite.

"Their pack is going really well and are maybe not so much under-rated anymore, they are getting some kudos which is good.

"When you win seven straight it only adds to their confidence and the momentum they've got going and it's going to be up to us to try and stop that."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Late father spurs Graham

Brad Walter | September 21, 2007

ASHLEY Graham has a 25-centimetre scar that runs down the outside of his lower left leg. But it is nothing compared to the internal scar he carries from witnessing his father's death.

As a 16-year-old, Graham and his brother Brad watched their father Thomas die from a heart-attack. That experience has helped inspire the Cowboys centre to overcome what was initially diagnosed as a career-ending injury and climb to equal third on the try-scoring list in the NRL this season.

Since snapping his tibia and fibula and dislocating his ankle in a sickening collision with Shane Webcke at Suncorp Stadium in 2003, Graham has undergone 13 operations in a bid to live up to the promise that led to then Parramatta recruitment manager Noel Cleal, now with Manly, luring him from Cairns two years earlier.

"Dad passed away in 2000. He was 49. That's pretty young to have a heart attack, so it was pretty devastating," Graham told the Herald in Townsville this week. "It was pretty sudden. He was at home with me and my brother and we sort of just watched him die in front of us, which was pretty tough.

"But it's pretty motivating, too. I know he always wanted me to put 100 per cent into whatever I did and always wanted me to succeed so I apply that to my footy. That basically just motivates me to get out and do my best in every game.

"It was just after my dad died that I signed with Parramatta. Before that I hadn't really thought about it. Whenever I run out to play I just think of him and how he would be proud of me running out in the Cowboys colours."

But before Graham pulled on a North Queensland jersey for the first time, he played five seasons with the Eels - two of them alongside Jamie Lyon, the player he is most likely to mark in tomorrow night's grand final qualifier.

"I learnt a lot there under Brian Smith and really enjoyed my footy. Before going to the Eels I wasn't really huge on league, I probably played more union at school," said Graham, who has scored 18 tries this season.

After first dislocating his kneecap while playing for Queensland's Emerging Origin side in 2002 and then suffering the horrific injury that threatened to end his career the following season, Graham also learnt a lot about himself.

Complications plagued his recovery for the next three years and he was granted a release from the Eels after the first four rounds of last season to move closer to home and play for the Cowboys.

"At first, they actually told me I would never play again, just because of the extent of the injury - hence having so many operations on it," he said. "I had the first operation to put the plates and screws in, then when they closed it up there was too much pressure in there, so no blood could flow through to my foot.

"Then they couldn't close the wound up, and it took six or seven operations to do that and then just some arthroscopes and that sort of thing.

"I pretty much had to learn to walk again, but it's been two years now since my last operation, so hopefully the worst is behind me, and I think my footy is just benefiting now from having had my first full pre-season since.

"I'm starting to get my pace back, and I'd like to think that I'm pretty close to being back to where I used to be."
    AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Wow that is a lot of reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Wow that is a lot of reading.
    LMAO.
    I thought that when i was posting Coaster..But i AIM to please, you know that

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Quote Originally Posted by jenny View Post
    LMAO.
    I thought that when i was posting Coaster..But i AIM to please, you know that

You do Great work Jenny, i only teasing
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    You do Great work Jenny, i only teasing
    lol I know u are Cutie

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    Are you still pissed from yesterdays win? Take JT out of yesterdays game and think how it would have turned out. Sorry but the Cowboys would struggle to get off the team bus without Thurston, I don't wanna imagine them against a white hot Manly playing for a grand final appearance.

Cliffy is right, Manly would LOVE cold, miserable and rainy weather to grind out a dull match with conservative play. Even without those optimum conditions I think Manly can beat them. If they can get a hold on the tempo of the game early and with Orford and Monaghan's kicking deep and for touch, and build up a grind for the first 50-60mins on the back of the brilliant defense they've shown they're capable of, I think they can frustrate the Cowboys and put 'em away in the back 20.
    I'd be surprised if I could find one of your posts in the last 7 weeks that you have given Cowboys ANY chance of winning a game. Seriously, every week, not giving us any chance. I'm lovin it!

I'm lovin the work from our forwards lately. They have matched Bulldogs two weeks in a row, and did an awesome job against the Warriors last week, with Webb, Tronc, O'Donnell, Southern and Faiumuina all out! It's incredible, and while ever the forwards can match it against the oppositions, we have the attack to put any team away.

Gunna be a great game, I'm pumped!

GO THE MAROONS!

Cowboys sense another finals upset

September 21, 2007

North Queensland coach Graham Murray can sense his side is poised for another NRL preliminary final upset, similar to their shock 2005 grand final appearance.

The Cowboys are riding a club record seven-game winning streak into Saturday's grand final qualifier with Manly at the Sydney Football Stadium and Murray says the team is building another well-timed finals charge.

Two years ago the under-rated Cowboys rode into Sydney and stunned Parramatta with a 29-0 victory at Telstra Stadium to reach a grand final showdown with the Wests Tigers.

Murray is hesitant to proclaim his current side are in better form than the class of 2005, but he knows they're ticking all the boxes at the right time of the year to earn another premiership shot.

"At the moment they're just playing as good as they possibly can as a unit," said Murray.

"I don't want to down-play our performance (last weekend) but they had a lot of things go against them the Warriors.

"We're playing pretty good but we haven't got the banners out, we haven't got the drums out. We're just playing a good standard of football.

"The young blokes who have come in are enjoying the finals experience and every week they seem to lift to the new challenge."

The challenge on Saturday is to score points against a defence rated one of the best all season.

For all the Cowboys' victories over the past seven weeks, they've still conceded on average just under four tries per game.

Against the Sea Eagles such a defensive effort will not be good enough as Manly have conceded just 2.5 tries per game all season.

Manly coach Des Hasler admits the Sea Eagles have spent most of their preparation finessing their defensive plans, knowing that victory will be made easier if they can limit the opportunities for noted playmakers Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen.

"I don't think there is any plan you can put in place (to stop them) but we'll just do what we do best and get out there and play the best game we possibly can," said Hasler.

"They're quite willing to score points and they're quite willing to be able to outscore you.

"If we can nullify their time down our end we should be okay."

Both Manly and North Queensland have injury concerns for Saturday's game, the Sea Eagles optimistic about Glenn Stewart (ankle) and Chris Hicks (ankle) while the Cowboys rate Carl Webb (calf) unlikely.

Webb's absence will hurt the depleted Cowboys forward pack, but if 2007 has taught them anything it is that they can handle adversity.

After a three-game post-Origin losing streak many predicted the Cowboys' season would again fold away to an anti-climatic finish.

But Murray says the club has gradually improved since their 54-10 round 20 flogging from the Wests Tigers, with the young forwards carving out new reputations for themselves and Thurston bravely battling on with serious shoulder problems.

"I think we've just improved ever so slightly from that game on," he said.

"Over a steady period of six weeks we've improved every week and I think it's all related. Attack, but particularly defence.

"We had a couple of blow out games (earlier in the year) ... but I still wasn't unhappy with the commitment the players were showing.

"The whole team is playing better and have started getting some confidence amongst each other.

"We've always had the ability to score points but it's a matter of controlling the ball properly and getting to our kick and putting pressure on the opposition and the last five weeks we've been doing that pretty good."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Jason smith = out.

That is a major blow. His experience and ability to set up a try from anywhere will be missed. He has had some great impact off the bench lately! Massive loss.

GO THE MAROONS!

Junior Titan

i can smell a cowboys victory ooooooohhhhhhhh yeah

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee View Post
    Jason smith = out.

That is a major blow. His experience and ability to set up a try from anywhere will be missed. He has had some great impact off the bench lately! Massive loss.

Smith is out?

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee View Post
    Jason smith = out.

Source?