Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
    Another hot,humid day could possible see the end of the warriors for this year.
    A day game might back fire on the Cowboys

Gould quoted that the Cowboys have play most of their games this year at night and got flogged during the only two games they played during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

Gould quoted that the Cowboys have play most of their games this year at night and got flogged during the only two games they played during the day.
    Yep that's right... whilst they might train in that sort of weather... playing in it is something totally different... and the Cowboys high intensity, carefree to the wind game plan doesn't seem to work in sticky humid conditions...:duh:

I agree with Chaos here, this is a game the Cowboys and Warriors both should be worried with each other about... both teams can win or lose it now it's during the day due to the heat...

Williams keen to feast on NRL finals

September 13, 2007 - 4:56PM

He was so popular that a cafe at his north Queensland hometown Innisfail created a dish called "Ty Williams' Treats".

But there has only been humble pie on offer for the Cowboys winger since those heady days in 2005.

However, the hard times have been a little easier to swallow for Williams after finally reclaiming his first-grade spot in time for the Cowboys' NRL title tilt.

Unearthed from Innisfail's rich rugby league nursery that also produced speedsters Kerry Boustead and Billy Slater, Williams came to fruition in 2005 with the Cowboys.

Three State of Origins, an NRL grand final - it was a season to remember for the popular Williams.

A bloke who toyed with the idea of becoming a butcher after a frustrating start with the Cowboys was suddenly chopping up the opposition.

Then it all went pear-shaped.

A broken leg and a knee reconstruction cruelled his 2006 season as the Cowboys failed to even make the finals.

The rehabilitation was followed by arguably the more difficult task of cracking a Cowboys backline that made a winning start to the 2007 NRL season.

He earned a first-grade recall in late May, only to be dropped again to the Cowboys feeder side the Young Guns in the Queensland Cup.

A player who was at one stage considered a Test chance was running around in regional Queensland wondering whether he would ever regain his Midas touch.

"There's always that thought that comes through," Williams said.

"But as footballers we are very competitive people. It makes you train and work harder.

"I knew it would be hard but once I got that opportunity I wanted to take it and keep it."

It came four weeks ago - and he hasn't looked back.

He celebrated with three tries from as many games leading into last weekend's 20-18 qualifying final win against the Bulldogs.

While the first to admit he is yet to get "all the miles back in the legs", Williams has hinted his best football will come in Sunday's NRL semi-final against the New Zealand Warriors at Townsville.

"To be playing semi-final football is more rewarding than anything," Williams said.

"I went through a pretty hard time last year with a few major injuries.

"I worked hard in the off-season to get where I am.

"To get back into the side, it's an opportunity I had been waiting a long time for.

"Now I'm starting to feel real good out there."

Rugby league mad Townsville has again gone nuts as the Cowboys stormed to a second straight home final.

It reminds Williams of the last time Cowboys fever took hold in north Queensland in 2005.

Thoughts of an Origin comeback have also resurfaced.

"If I train well in the off season I think I can start focusing on something like that - it's definitely the plan for next year," he said.

But it seems the memory of their NRL grand final loss to the Wests Tigers is also as fresh as ever.

"You look back and realise how special the occasion was," Williams said.

"There's unfinished business for sure. But I think we will be better for it this time round.

"We can give it a good shake."

Unlike the "Ty Williams' Treats" and "Cowboy brekky" served up at Innisfail's Cowboys Corner Cafe, North Queensland doesn't want to make a meal of their 2007 NRL grand final shot.

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

The weather conditions should suit the Cowboys since they do train it it but who knows?
    Cowboys should be confident after 6 straight and 2 straight against the Dogs.
    Cowboys by 4
    Last edited by Poida; 13-09-07 at 07:19 PM.

C'MON COWBOYS

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

My reasoning was that the conditions would slow down the Warriors big men.

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
    My reasoning was that the conditions would slow down the Warriors big men.
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here yet, but I heard on the radio today that the Cowboys will be wearing their away Jerseys so the Warriors will have to wear their black home jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here yet, but I heard on the radio today that the Cowboys will be wearing their away Jerseys so the Warriors will have to wear their black home jerseys

It was in the Courier Mail today. The home team gets the first choice of jersey. The Cowboys took the obvious choice - their white jersey. The NRL told the Warriors that their silver jersey wouldn't contrast well enough so they'd have to wear black.

Ivan Cleary didn't seem concerned though. He said all the jerseys are alot cooler these days with the materials they use.

Black is scientifically proven to hold more heat than white. It will be a slight advantage, but an advantage none the less.

The white Jerseys will relfect more sunlight and heat, the Black Jerseys will absorb it. I saw Warriors are gonna be wearing icepack vests, will that be durring game time or just on the bench?

Cowboys hot under collar

14 September 2007

THE NRL will consider implementing heat measures for Sunday's sudden-death semi-final in Townsville - but the move has angered the North Queensland Cowboys.

The mercury is expected to soar as high as 31C at Dairy Farmers Stadium by the 4pm kickoff for the Cowboys' semi-final against the New Zealand Warriors.

If the heat is oppressive, doctors from both clubs could introduce a one-minute drinks break midway through each half, an extended 15-minute halftime break and have all three trainers carrying water bottles.

There are concerns for the Warriors players, who are coming from a 13C climate in Auckland and will be wearing black jumpers.

Having home ground advantage, the Cowboys have opted to wear their white away jumpers rather than the blue home strip - forcing New Zealand to wear black.

But North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr said each half should be a continuous 40 minutes.

"We don't get to use heaters over in Auckland after 20 minutes of each half," Parr said. "We do have to consider the welfare of our players but it is a finals game.

"I would have thought we'd play under the same rules as normal, where you play 40 minutes straight through. I don't think the Warriors would be expecting a break either.

"Maybe a bit more is being made about the heat than it should be."

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club's medical staff were best qualified to make the decision over the heat.

"It will be something best left to the medical people," he said. "But if they agree (the heat measures) should be done for the players' welfare, then it should happen.

"There's been a lot of debate about the heat. But the game is on at 4pm, not midday, so hopefully the sun won't be on the field with the grandstands there at Dairy Farmers."

Asked about having to wear black jumpers, Scurrah said: "That's our colour. There are no complaints about having to wear black."

The Warriors are, however, yet to apply to the NRL to have additional water breaks during the game.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said player welfare was crucial.

"We have had rules in place all year that cater for the possibility of extreme heat," Annesley said.

"If the two club doctors agree some relief is required, the heat measures we can introduce are there to make sure everything possible is done to protect player welfare."

The Cowboys are keen to use the heat to their psychological advantage. Hooker David Faiumu said: "Sunday at four o'clock. It doesn't get any hotter than that in Australia."

Cowboys coach Graham Murray added: "It will be a hot day up here on Sunday, no doubt about that.
    GC Bulletin

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Really hope Price doesnt decide to try them diving chargedowns on one of our kickers.
    It is a danger for the safety of kickers.
    Cowboys need to protect Thurston, maybe put our big men in front of him while he kicks or just kick from dummy half with Payne or Bowen.

I've read 2 articles today which quote Price saying if he gets the opportunity to pressure Thurston, he will.

Put the big men in-front of him? What big men? They're all sidelined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Poida View Post
    maybe put our big men in front of him while he kicks
    This isn't Gridiron

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    I've read 2 articles today which quote Price saying if he gets the opportunity to pressure Thurston, he will.

Put the big men in-front of him? What big men? They're all sidelined.
    Lol smartass