North Queensland Cowboys
    vs Bulldogs
    Dairy Farmers Stadium; Saturday 8th September, 6:30pm

vs

Referee:
    Paul Simpkins

Team Notes

Cowboys (3rd Place)

- North Queensland coach Graham Murray has today named the same side which beat the Bulldogs 38-32 last Friday.

Bulldogs (6th Place)

- Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes has named forwards Mark O'Meley and Lee Te Maari in the seventeen to meet the Cowboys on Saturday evening

- O'Meley returns from a quadricep injury and will start in the front row, with Willie Mason shifting to the back row replacing the suspended Sonny Bill Williams

- Te Maari makes his return to first grade after a knee injury in round 12 replacing Fred Briggs who returns to the Bulldogs Premier League side for the finals.

Teams:

1. Matt Bowen
    2. Ty Williams
    3. Ashley Graham
    4. Paul Bowman
    5. Ben Farrar
    6. Justin Smith
    7. Johnathan Thurston (c)
    8. Matt Scott
    9. Aaron Payne
    10. Carl Webb
    11. Sam Faust
    12. Matthew Bartlett
    13. Mark Henry

Interchange:

14. David Faiumu
    15. Jason Smith
    16. Jacob Lillyman
    17. Ray Cashmere
    18. Neil Sweeney (one to be omitted)

1. Luke Patten
    2. Hazem El Masri
    3. Daryl Millard
    4. Willie Tonga
    5. Matt Utai
    6. Ben Roberts
    7. Brent Sherwin
    8. Mark O'Meley
    9. Corey Hughes
    10. Chris Armit
    11. Willie Mason
    12. Andrew Ryan (c)
    13. Reni Maitua

Interchange:

14. Adam Perry
    15. Nick Kouparitsas
    16. Lee Te Maari
    17. Jarrad Hickey
    Last edited by Queenslander; 05-09-07 at 10:08 AM.

Titan CEO

Really looking forward to this one, Last weeks game close but i think the Doggies defence isnt upto it and the Cowboys will win this one by 12 or more pts.

And the war of words has begun... not surprisingly over SBW... and it's good to see, give this game plenty of spice come Saturday and get our boys to FIRE UP...

From: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001023,00.html

Sonny Bill has to be charged
    By Steve Mascord
    September 02, 2007 12:00am

IT will be "open slather" in the finals if Sonny Bill Williams is not charged for his controversial shot on Cowboys star Johnathan Thurston.

That is the assertion of North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr. In the first salvo of the finals series, the Cowboys boss said the match review committee had no choice but to charge the Bulldogs forward for his challenge on halfback Thurston on Friday night, which looked high and late.

And Andrew Johns could be in the headlines for another reason this week. Williams' tackle on the Newcastle skipper earlier this season has given the New Zealand international a previous offence which could lengthen any ban.

"If he's not charged, then I think the NRL match review committee will be sending a message to players that it will be open slather in the finals,'' Parr said last night.

"... a message that that sort of thing is obviously legitimate and legal. That would be very dangerous on the eve of the finals.

"From the pictures I saw, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't charged.

"It was late ... we weren't very happy with it.''

It may be only a co-incidence that as of yesterday the Cowboys and the Bulldogs could be tangling again next weekend but Parr's outburst has the potential to create significant bad blood between the clubs.

"I'd suggest the match review committee will have a very, very close look at it,'' he continued.

"We had a guy (Sione Faumuina) suspended for seven weeks earlier this year and he hit the football first.'' Parr also made light of Thurston's claim there was nothing in the incident, which occurred in the fifth minute after he had kicked downfield.

"Johnathan, he's going by the players' code there and the fact he played with Sonny Bill, I'd imagine,'' added Parr.

While Williams is under a cloud, the Dogs do expect to have prop Mark O'Meley (quadriceps) back for their first qualifying final.

Coach Steve Folkes saw his side score four tries in 13 minutes late in the Dairy Farmers Stadium match, turning a 38-10 deficit into a 38-32 loss.

That was much closer than the previous week's flogging by Melbourne but Folkes said: "We were probably more committed last week, I thought.

"We didn't produce the sort of performance I thought we would have in a situation and an occasion like that.

"We couldn't control the ball ... we didn't seem capable of sustaining any pressure.

"The fact is, we've got a semi-final next weekend and we need to pick ourselves up and be positive and come out and play close to the capability we've got in the side because we were way off tonight.

"We need to get out and start doing it rather than talking about it.''

Aside from lauding the performances of returning Matt Utai and Willie Mason, Folkes said: "Luke Patten was pretty strong again.

"But outside those three, we just weren't on our game at all.''

and the response...

From:http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-10389,00.html

Just a push, say Bulldogs
    Dean Ritchie and Steve Mascord
    September 03, 2007 12:00am

BULLDOGS coach Steve Folkes has described Sonny Bill Williams's controversial hit on Johnathan Thurston as "a push".

Folkes also accused North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr of trying to influence the judiciary.

Williams' finals series is under a cloud after he was booked for a challenge on Cowboys captain Thurston five minutes into NQ's 38-32 win at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Friday night.

The Daily Telegraph understands could be facing a grade two striking charge and miss the Bulldogs' clash with the Cowboys on Saturday night in Townsville.

And with loading and carry-over points, Williams could be looking at a two match suspension.

Parr said over the weekend it would be "open slather" in the finals if Williams was not charged – a contention Folkes described as "clearly ridiculous".

"It smacks of trying to influence the judiciary," he said yesterday. "Given that we might be playing them next week, it looks like that's what he's trying to do.

"Officials saying things like that normally doesn't happen. When they make comments like that about referees, it's usually designed to put pressure on them.

"I don't know Peter Parr but officials should stick to running what they are responsible for."

Folkes said on Friday night he had not seen the incident but after careful examination over the weekend, he reckoned: "It doesn't look like there is any significant contact.

"I watched it a few times and it looks like the arm comes off the top of the shoulder first. It was more like a push.

"The guys saw Johnno (Thurston) after the game and he didn't seem to be too worried about it."

Bulldogs boss Malcolm Noad said the club had no formulated any defence for Williams and would wait to see if a charge arose.

Noad said Williams showed remorse for Thurston.

"Sonny was disappointed after the game but more by the way we played," Noad said.

"'We didn't talk about the incident. Sonny showed a lot of remorse on the field toward Johnathan."

Folkes said prop Mark O'Meley (quadriceps) was "likely" to make a return for the opening week of the finals. Fred Briggs would then be forced out of the Dogs line-up but the coach admitted: "There's the judiciary to consider too.

"We won't have many changes – depending on what happens there."

North Queensland rested Thurston, Justin Smith and Carl Webb late in the contast and promptly conceded four tries in 13 minutes. They went perilously close to being the first side in premiership history to score 38 points and be run down.

The Cowboys players want SBW and a fully fit Bulldogs there...

From:http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-10389,00.html

We want 'SBW' in final, say the Cowboys
    Matt Marshall
    September 03, 2007 12:00am

A CONFIDENT Cowboys pack has declared "give us another crack at Sonny Bill Williams" this week.
    As a nervous Bulldogs camp awaited today's verdict from the NRL match review committee, the Cowboys were preparing for the qualifying final at Dairyfarmers Stadium.

After humbling the star-studded Dogs pack on Friday night to roll into September with five straight wins, the Cowboys say they couldn't care less if the Kiwi international avoids suspension for a late and high charge-down attempt on skipper Johnathan Thurston.

The unsavoury incident, in which Williams led with his forearm ****ed, saw the Bulldogs superstar reported by referee Shayne Hayne and it is expected the NRL match review committee will today charge him – potentially ruling him out of Saturday night's third versus sixth semi-final.

Williams faces a grade-two striking charge, and with loading and carry-over points, could be slugged a two-week suspension that will end his season unless the out-of-sorts Dogs advance to the preliminary finals.

But North Queensland's forwards have welcomed another showdown with Williams and fellow marquee forwards Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan, Reni Maitua and Roosters-bound enforcer Mark O'Meley, who returns from injury after missing Friday night's match.

"My attitude is, and I'm sure all the boys feel the same, give us what you've got," Cowboys hooker David Faiumu said. "Whatever team you've got, come and play us in Townsville, we'll be ready.

"We've prepared for everything they want to throw at us. They've a class outfit, it doesn't matter if they've got Sonny Bill or not, they're still a gun side and we'll be ready for them."

The development came after Cowboys CEO Peter Parr declared a failure to cite Williams would lead to "open slather" in the finals.

Dogs coach Steve Folkes yesterday described Williams' controversial hit on Johnathan Thurston as nothing more than "a push" and accused Parr of trying to influence the judiciary with "clearly ridiculous" claims.

"It smacks of trying to influence the judiciary," Folkes said. "Given that we might be playing them next week, it looks like that's what he's trying to do.

"Officials saying things like that normally doesn't happen. When they make comments like that about referees, it's usually designed to put pressure on them. I don't know Peter Parr but officials should stick to running what they are responsible for."

Folkes said on Friday night he had not seen the incident but after careful examination over the weekend, he reckoned: "It doesn't look like there is any significant contact.

"I watched it a few times and it looks like the arm comes off the top of the shoulder first. It was more like a push.

"The guys saw Johnno (Thurston) after the game and he didn't seem to be too worried about it."

Former Queensland five-eighth and Channel 9 commentator Ben Ikin believes Williams will be suspended. "It was an elbow straight to the side of the head," Ikin said. "It doesn't look very good and I think he will suffer the consequences."

Why not want him there too?
    We should somewhat take confidence into the fact we beat the Dogs which contained Mason and Sonny Bill. Anyone who can beat that side has done mighty well.
    If the Cowboys play smarter and more patiently AND not take Webb or even JT off too early then the Dogs will struggle to contain us. We play our best footy in the finals.

If the Dogs are full strength and anyone bothers to review the game from last week the Dogs should win. Or like I said, take out Thurston and you've got it in the bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Kiwi pair facing NRL finals wipe-out

The Bulldogs appear set to contest the grading of Sonny Bill Williams' striking charge in a bid to free the Kiwi superstar for an appearance later in the NRL finals series.

Williams and fellow New Zealand Test forward David Fa'alogo both felt the wrath of the NRL match review committee on Monday with their hopes of playing any part in the finals left up in the air.

Williams was hit with a grade two striking charge for his late and high tackle on North Queensland skipper Johnathan Thurston on Friday night and faces a two match ban with an early guilty plea.

Fa'alogo's predicament is far more dire with the Souths backrower looking at a minimum five-match ban for his king hit on Braith Anasta in Saturday night's fiery local derby at Telstra Stadium.

Bulldogs officials were tightlipped as to whether they would contest the charge but it is understood they feel the grading may be too high.

But the officials are also wary of challenging the charge with a three-week ban on the cards if they are unsuccessful at the NRL judiciary.

They will pore over video tape of similar examples before lodging their plea, contesting the grading the most likely outcome.

"We're reviewing all options. Obviously finals is an important time of the year so it's a fairly big decision," a Bulldogs official said.

Williams caught Thurston in the head with his forearm just three minutes into Friday night's match with the Bulldogs set to argue that the Kiwi juggernaut had no hope of pulling out of the collision.

St George Illawarra prop Adam Peek was given a similar grading for his elbow to the head of Cronulla playmaker Adam Dykes in round 13, the Bulldogs believing Peek could have pulled out of the tackle whereas Williams could not.

The Cowboys refused to enter into a slanging match ahead of their rematch in the second qualifying final on Saturday night after initially claiming a failure to cite Williams would lead to "open slather" in the finals.

"The match review committee obviously agree that he has a case to answer which we agree with, they have made their decision and it is in the hands of the NRL," Cowboys boss Peter Parr said.

Fa'alogo issued an apology to the South Sydney club and their fans but it carried little weight with the match review committee who came down hard on the Bunnies backrower.

His five-match ban would be extended to seven games if he challenged and lost at the NRL judiciary, though it appears the Rabbitohs feel there was provocation from Anasta due to an alleged grapple tackle in the lead-up.

"I felt like I was getting choked, that's why I got up and did what I did," Fa'alogo said.

"I couldn't breathe.

"I've been thinking about it a lot since and I feel terrible about what I have done and I regret doing it.

"It really didn't help when the fans yelled out that Braith Anasta got what he deserved, that made me feel even worse.

"I want to apologise to the fans and my team-mates for what I have done."

The Bunnies are believed to be furious that Anasta wasn't charged for his part in the incident.

"As a club in no way do we condone what David Fa'alogo did," chief executive Shane Richardson said.

"We are not a club that wants to be associated with actions or incidents like those. We expect better of our players and David understands that.

"Having said that we believe there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to David's actions and everyone associated with rugby league agrees this type of tackle needs to be stamped out of the game for the good of the game."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

I love finals time. Its always when North Queensland get written off. Not saying anyone here is but just general media thing
    Love the joys of being the underdog which no doubt we are for this finals series.

From: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Bulldogs roll the dice
    By Dean Ritchie
    September 04, 2007

THE Bulldogs will take their biggest finals gamble in years tonight, in the hope of clearing Sonny Bill Williams at the judiciary and saving their faltering season.

The New Zealand star was charged with grade-two striking after hitting North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston late and high in Townsville last Friday night.

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad admitted his club would be forced to "roll the dice" and attempt to have Williams exonerated.

"It's a major game and we feel we have to roll the dice," Noad said.

"Sonny Bill's presence is extremely important to us."

Williams is facing a minimum two-game suspension, but the penalty will increase to three games if he loses his fight against the charge.

"Sonny plays the game hard," Jim Hall, who will represent Williams, said.

"There's no way he would have intentionally tried to strike Thurston."

The Bulldogs and North Queensland meet again in a qualifying final at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night.

South Sydney player David Fa'alogo will also fight a grade-four striking charge arising from his king hit on Roosters five-eighth Braith Anasta at the weekend.

If Williams is found guilty tomorrow night, any prize he captures at the Dally M awards will be stripped due to it being his second suspension.

Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah is favourite to win the Dally M medal, ahead of Cowboys stars Matt Bowen, Johnathan Thurston and Melbourne captain Cameron Smith.

Well really, the club didn't have any choice on this one. Considering everyone who knows RL has said he would be unlucky to get charged for the thing, and all the media speak so far by the staff at the Bulldogs... he has to try and fight it and get it downgraded... it's not that we want him off scot free, it's a downgrade.

The judiciary is made up normally of ex players, who in their time wouldn't have even flinched if something like this happened when they were playing, so I don't think getting a downgrade would be too difficult, and TBH with Jim Hall there, I am confident we can get the right result...

I don't think Sonny can get off, there's too much against him, but I do think he can get the charge down to 1 week, and that is a much better result than 2.

Glad to see our boys realise what all the fans realise.. all the talk is equalling NOTHING... time to work hard and get the pride of the blue and white back on track...

From:http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Bulldogs all bark and no bite
    By Dean Ritchie
    September 04, 2007

THE Bulldogs have become a finals myth, with club captain Andrew Ryan declaring "the time for talk is over".

Many pundits believe the Bulldogs are a dominant team in August and September, but statistics suggest this is not he case.

Since 2005, the Bulldogs have won only nine of 21 matches from round 20 and into the finals.

This season, the Bulldogs have lost their past two games - conceding 38 points in both matches.

The task in the qualifying finals this weekend is no easier, as the Bulldogs play North Queensland in Townsville a weeke after losing 38-32 in the final round of the minor premiership.

Ryan said the Bulldogs players must perform for themselves, their fans and for the club's reputation.

"The fans want success because of the competitions we have won over the years," Ryan said yesterday.

"But we shouldn't keep hoping things will turn around. We've got to do it now.

"Over the past few months, people have been talking us up and saying we are about to come alive. But at this stage we haven't done it."

The Bulldogs, however, may face the Cowboys without star forward Sonny Bill Williams, who was charged yesterday with striking Cowboys halfback Johnathan Thurston last Friday.

But Cowboys coach Graham Murray said his side would not underestimate the Bulldogs.

"They might be talking themselves down but we don't believe it," Murray said.

"We respect their football team as a lethal outfit.

"They're a very balanced side. They have big forwards, two clever halves who can kick (Brent Sherwin and Ben Roberts) and a backline that can score tries.

"They also have their backs to the wall."

Williams seeks charge downgrade

September 04, 2007

BULLDOGS kingpin Sonny Bill Williams is to contest the grading of his striking charge, risking an extra week's suspension in the hope of missing only one NRL finals match.

Williams today entered an early guilty plea to striking North Queensland star Johnathan Thurston, but will argue before the judiciary tomorrow night that the grade two charge should be reduced to grade one.

The New Zealand international forward would have received a two-match ban if he accepted the grade two striking suspension which stemmed from a high tackle on Thurston in Friday night's loss in Townsville.

If he's successful in getting a downgrade, he'll miss only one game – Saturday's qualifying final which is again against North Queensland.

If unsuccessful he'll be ruled out for three matches, meaning the Bulldogs would have to make the grand final for Williams to play again this season.

After finishing the regular season in sixth place, the Bulldogs could be eliminated from the finals on Saturday if they again lose to the Cowboys in Townsville and one of the two lower-ranked teams – Brisbane Broncos and South Sydney – are able to win their qualifying finals.

AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Bulldogs have announced their side, see first page...

I am happy along I am sure a with a lot of people that Willie Mason is in the second row... that works better for us...

Great to see Lee Te Maari is back too.. shame for Briggs that he missed out, but Lee T gives us so much more potency... it's great to have him back...

If this team can be on their game for a full 80 minutes this week, I am confident... it's got a lot of potency and attack if they get it right.

Well Mason second row is gonna be a true test for our second row.
    Faust has been very good so far this season, him and Lillyman need to really step up plenty to try to stop Masons damaging runs. And ffs stop giving Bowen so many players to have to tackle, friggin tighten up in defence.
    Really need someone like Rauhihi
    Wish we didnt let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_BD1103 View Post
    Bulldogs have announced their side, see first page...

I am happy along I am sure a with a lot of people that Willie Mason is in the second row... that works better for us...

Great to see Lee Te Maari is back too.. shame for Briggs that he missed out, but Lee T gives us so much more potency... it's great to have him back...

If this team can be on their game for a full 80 minutes this week, I am confident... it's got a lot of potency and attack if they get it right.
    Cowboys defense is atrocious, even more so for a top 4 side. Most any side in the comp could beat them with a decent well stuck to game plan and a pro-active defensive line that shuts them down rather than wait and see what JT and Bowen are gonna do, by which time its too late.

Apparently Folkes isn't much into video and tailored game plans, so maybe the Dogs aren't the right team to be facing the Cowboys. Having played them last week though should play in their favour. But no SBW will make it tough. Sherwin needs to step up 10 fold on the last month or so though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

If the Dogs play like they did last week (apart from last 20) Cowboys will belt them.
    The defence is awful I agree and I dunno wtf happened after the knights game as both that and the Saints game we defended awesome. I think the game last week better be our wakeup call.
    Tbh Im still surprised we are 3rd considering our shoddy defence most of the season. If not for our attacking strength we would be as low as 13th or even 15th.
    Last edited by Poida; 04-09-07 at 03:52 PM.