Titan CEO

Default Breaking news: Thompson quits Dragons

Rugby League's St George Illawarra forward, Lance Thompson has quit the club after a mutual agreement was reached.

Following a meeting with the club's board that lasted almost two and a half hours, he said he was happy with the decision.

The players lawyer says Thompson's contract has now been terminated and he's free to search for a new club next year.

Skynews.com.au

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/story.asp?id=78562

great,give it till the end of next week and he will be a Sharkie!
    Steve Rogers- A True Immortal!

Junior Titan

Default why not timmins?

i am still of the opinion that lance is better to hold on to and timmins causes greater dramas off paddock.....and is on old knees... anyway could they have afforded to keep ennis now seeming lance has left??? it is such a shame that the dragons are not as crooked as teams such as the roosters.. then they could keep all their players... anyway on a brighter note matty head will be staying... hornby staying.. and greenshields tempted at a cheaper price for the titans.. woo hoo!! :afro:

Mixed feelings about this decision for me. I am still unsure if it is the right decision.

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    Mixed feelings about this decision for me. I am still unsure if it is the right decision.
    Depends on thing i guess..

-Who replaces him?

I wont go as far as saying that Thompson is a great player,but he is a good player that plays his heart out.He has lost some games for The Dragons,but he has won them a few too.Quite obvious that someone has it in for him on the St George board,only a matter of time before all is exposed.
    Steve Rogers- A True Immortal!

Titan CEO

The way i saw thompson at the dragons was he would always give his best and never give in. He loved the club and was never going to put in a below par effort. Sure sometimes he didnt play to his best ability (he isnt superman!) but he was always putting in. Dont think you will see him like that at any other club tho. I expect him to go over to england and rack up some big bucks.

I am glad that both parties can now move on and get on with rugby league, this was becoming tiresome to say the least.

If I am looking at this purely on what who was the ideal guy to release from Lance Thompson or Shaun Timmins focusing on longevity and health, Thompson would of been kept as Timmo is running on two dodgy knees with a maximum of one or maybe two years left in the tank. Lance on the other hand has 3-5 years left.

As we know, this runs deeper than than that and Thompson could be seen as a 'cancer' to the team which is why an agreement to part ways has been reached.

The Dragons have so many good youngsters coming through, replacing Thompson won't be an issue. You have Poore, Creagh, Young, Sims and Willie Tupou amongst the ranks, Nathan Brown will be excited by the prospect of blooding yet another boom rookie in 2006.

DeeGan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    The Dragons have so many good youngsters coming through, replacing Thompson won't be an issue. You have Poore, Creagh, Young, Sims and Willie Tupou amongst the ranks, Nathan Brown will be excited by the prospect of blooding yet another boom rookie in 2006.

DeeGan

Not just them though.. there is still Ryles and Bailey who can support these youngsters and also they have bought Andrew Price.. he is a player who if he can hit his straps would be perfect to fill the position that Thompson has left..

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Not just them though.. there is still Ryles and Bailey who can support these youngsters and also they have bought Andrew Price.. he is a player who if he can hit his straps would be perfect to fill the position that Thompson has left..
    Not aware I suggested it was just those youngsters on the roster for the Dragons, I am suggesting the younger players on the roster i.e. the guys I mentioned, will be able to cover the slack left by Lance.

Thanks, though fully aware Luke Bailey and Jason Ryles are on the roster as is Shaun Timmins

DeeGan
    Last edited by DeeGan; 16-11-05 at 09:37 AM.

LOL.. nah no probs at all.. just pointing out to everyone that Lance was always going to go.. and that is why they bought Andrew Price.. I wonder for how much though considering Lance's contract will only get them just under the salary cap for 2006...

Good question, though I am certain it ensures Matt Head is able to be kept.

We will hear more about their salary cap management

DeeGan