Default NRL ditches Monday game for final round

NRL ditches Monday game for final round

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 7:25 PM

The NRL has decided to shelve Monday night football for the final round of the competition to offer all clubs an even playing field ahead of the finals.

The final match of the 2007 regular season will now be held at 7pm on Sunday evening with Melbourne to host newcomers the Gold Coast in a game that could decide both the final eight and the minor premiership.

Fox Sports have enjoyed record success with Monday night football this year and while it will continue in the future, the broadcaster accommodated a change in schedule to not adversely impact on the finals.

With several teams still in contention for the finals, picking a Monday night fixture was impossible without negatively affecting one club's NRL finals chances.

"This is a positive outcome all round," said NRL chief executive David Gallop.

"Fox Sports have seen the difficulties in filling the Monday night program and they have agreed to allow the Melbourne v Titans game to move to Sunday evening.

"We've received a lot of support from all our broadcast partners.

"We certainly appreciate the flexibility that has been shown by all parties."

Fox Sports said it had been keen to ensure the best possible finish to the minor premiership race.

"This decision was made in the best interests of everyone involved in the game including the fans and the eight teams that will qualify for the finals series," said Fox Sports chief executive David Malone.

"This move acknowledges the importance of giving all eight teams that qualify for the finals equality in their preparation."

Source: AAP

QLD Cup Titan

Commonsense decision,Storm v Titans on a Sunday night at 7pm.

Well done to Fox Sports for being so accommodating. I wonder how Channel Nine would have reacted if they were asked to change one of their games?

Finally, there will be some great viewing on a Sunday night. I can't wait to see the Titans topple the Storm to secure their spot in the finals (I hope).

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Which probably means we will be playing them the week after!

So it's okay for there not to be an even playing field all year?

QLD Cup Titan

call me a sceptic but if Fox is doing this then Monday Night games aren't doing as well statistic wise as Fox TV expected otherwise their wouldn't be any changes.

I know I miss alot of them due to work or the young fella's footy training. Maybe the pubs and clubs aren't getting the revenue, who knows.

I think Monday night still could be a TV sports tradition but it needs promoting same as in the States! Hit the clubs & pubs and make a night out of it! (damn wish I was 20 again!)

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

I think the effect of playing on monday then backing up later in the week has been shown,not many teams have won after playing on mondays.
    With the finals a big money spinner for the NRL,they would want the teams in the top eight to be close physically to ensure a tight,exciting game.

QLD Cup Titan

is that the death knell of Monday night footy then... Can teams be expected to play on a Monday next year and then back up the following Friday night in 2008..Maybe the solution is no game until the following Sunday at best.

Turn around time between games hasn't changed. No team that played Monday was required to back up any sooner than the next Saturday, which is the equivalent of a team playing Sunday then the next Friday, which has happened for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo