Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Round 24: Cronulla Sharks vs Gold Coast Titans

Cronulla Sharks vs Gold Coast Titans
    Toyota Park; Saturday 25th August, 5:30PM

vs

Remember join the Southern Legion for the battle in the Shire: http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10593

Referee: Jason Robinson

Team Notes:

Sharks

- Bryson Goodwin replaces David Simmons on the wing. Simmons moves to the centres to replace Fraser Anderson.

Titans

- John Cartwright has named an unchanged lineup to the one that played on Sunday and ended the Roosters 4 game winning streak.

Teams:

1. Mitch Brown
    2. Bryson Goodwin
    3. Ben Pomeroy
    4. David Simmons
    5. Luke Covell
    6. Greg Bird
    7. Brett Seymour
    8. Ben Ross
    9. Isaac De Gois
    10. Craig Stapleton
    11. Reece Williams
    12. Luke Douglas
    13. Paul Gallen

Interchange:

14. Eddie Su’a
    15. Dayne Weston
    16. Paul Stephenson
    17. Kevin Kingston
    18. Cameron Ciraldo (one to be omitted)

1. Chris Walker
    2. Jake Webster
    3. Mat Rogers
    4. Brett Delaney
    5. Matthew Petersen
    6. Preston Campbell
    7. Scott Prince(c)
    8. Luke Bailey (c)
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Michael Hodgson
    11. Anthony Laffranchi
    12. Mark Minichiello
    13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Daniel Conn
    15. Ian Donnelly
    16. Gavin Cooper
    17. Luke O'Dwyer
    Last edited by Queenslander; 19-08-07 at 07:20 PM.

Bailey sees road to glory

By Daniel Pace
    August 20, 2007

CO-captain Luke Bailey is confident Gold Coast can overcome its horrible away record to sneak into the NRL finals.

The Titans have won just two out of their 10 games on the road this year and need to beat the Sharks and Melbourne Storm away to secure an historic finals berth.

Boosted by a home crowd of 17,423, the NRL newcomer kept its finals hopes alive with a 22-18 victory over Sydney Roosters at Carrara yesterday, but an no longer rely on that vocal support.

"Every road trip has been tough for us," said Bailey.

"We know the importance of the games. If you can't play your best for 160 minutes then you might as well not turn up.

"We've got to leave nothing in the tank over the next two weeks."

Bailey was again a stand-out for the Titans in their last match at Carrara before the club shifts base to Skilled Stadium at Robina.

The bullocking prop made 45 tackles, 14 hit-ups and gained 159 metres.

"The support has been great up here," said Bailey about Gold Coast Stadium, where the Titans boast an 8-4 record.

"We need to take that on board, go down to Sydney and come back with a win.

"We might have three or four fans in Sydney. It's going to be a lot harder going down to Melbourne."

Titans halfback Scott Prince denied his team is feeling the heat ahead of away games.

"The way I'm thinking is that no one gave us a shot from the word go," said Prince, who directed play superbly against the Roosters.

"We go away for two road trips and no one will be picking us to win. As far as pressure is concerned we're just going down there to play some football.

"We'll put it all on the line and see what happens."

Coach John Cartwright hopes the Titans can maintain their impressive home record at Skilled Park, but concedes the new stadium - which some claim will be equal in stature to Suncorp Stadium - will be missing an intimidation factor for opposition teams.

"I think sides are going to be really looking forward to playing there as much as Suncorp so we might lose a bit of an edge there," he said.

"But we're really looking to going out there. It'll be great for the side and great for the city."

Bailey said he is expecting "fireworks" against the Sharks, who boast a pack featuring aggressive back-rowers Paul Gallen and Greg Bird.

"They'll go out hard and live up to their reputation," he said.

"We've got a great pack of forwards here but it feels like halfway through the season because we're still gelling.

"A lot of blokes got injured (early this year). We've still got a lot to learn but there's only two weeks left in the competition so it feels pretty weird."

The only injury concern for the Titans is winger Matt Petersen (hamstring), but he should be fit to face the Sharks.

AAP

i would like to see swain dropped for grahman tbh

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Good to see Bailey try and drum up support in Sydney...

i'm one of the 3 or 4 fans in Sydney

Junior Titan

Will be doing my best to get out there but to be honest it will be quicker for anyone coming down from QLD to get there then it will be for me!!!!!!!!
    Will be doing my best to talk the missus into it with dinner afterwards as a sweetener. And a few celebratory drinks after we cane the sharks of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    i'm one of the 3 or 4 fans in Sydney
    Uh... I think you have underestimated by about 20... The Southern Legion has around 9 or 10 people on average... and I know there are a lot of fans from the Sydney area.. I reckon it's more around 20 ATM and growing... there are some who don't come on here as well...

1 or 2 points either way, hopefully Cronulla's, but who knows. Have to wait and see the team to comment, we've probably lost another 3 if the trend continues, I'm fairly sure Dyke's is gone. Someone else too I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titans by 2

Junior Titan

titans will take a 1 point lead win with a 75th minute luke bailey 50 metre drop goal, Covell will then have the chance to win the game for the sharks in the last minute with a penalty goal attempt from 30 metres out straight in front of the posts, but like covell usually does when it comes to taking important kicks at goal he choke's and misses it. Titans win

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_BD1103 View Post
    Uh... I think you have underestimated by about 20... The Southern Legion has around 9 or 10 people on average... and I know there are a lot of fans from the Sydney area.. I reckon it's more around 20 ATM and growing... there are some who don't come on here as well...
    Under-estimated by both of you - we actually get anywhere between 15-30 at games, plus the randoms... Will need to re-educate Bailey

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackWillie View Post
    Under-estimated by both of you - we actually get anywhere between 15-30 at games, plus the randoms... Will need to re-educate Bailey
    I think it may have been a challenge to all Southern Titan fans to get to the game and show their support.

I'll be there this weekend to cheer on the Titans.

I think we have a very good chance of winning.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

lol i know i know
    it was just a poor joke in ref to the article :P

altho i didnt see alot of fans at the rabbitohs game

That's cool.. lets hope you can re-educate Bull and myself this weekend by giving the Southern Legion it's biggest attendance this season...:woot: