Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Russell Crowe advocates free love at Souths

Crowe advocates free love
    By Bernie Pramberg
    August 02, 2007 12:00am

GLADIATORIAL movie star Russell Crowe introduced a "love-in" to South Sydney's early-season training in an attempt to inject passion to the battling team.

Crowe, part-owner of the club with multi-millionaire businessman Peter Holmes a Court, told the players "love will make the difference" and then singled out forward Dean Widders for a hug.

"I love you, Dean Widders," said Crowe, who went on to extol the virtues of the footballer.

"I totally, fundamentally believe this (love) is my core," the actor told the players.

"The thing that will make the difference is love . . . actually accepting the family environment, the brotherhood. I don't see everything has to be about crash, bash and negativity. We're going to achieve a lot more if you actually have higher ideals."

The Rabbitohs bonding session makes interesting viewing in the second episode of the ABC documentary South Side Story that debuts on Tuesday night. The six-part series follows behind-the-scenes developments within the famous club as it reinvents itself under private ownership.

Holmes a Court yesterday admitted he and Crowe had "taken some risks" and used unconventional methods to revitalise the club.

"We were prepared to talk to the players about some things that were relatively unconventional," he said. "You mention the word 'love', and it's a pretty charged word.

"But it's the best word for what these guys feel for each other after playing together and going through what they do. We had to establish bonds and build attitude quickly to become competitive."

Holmes a Court ? who admitted the first year of ownership had been much more difficult than he envisaged ? said the players had responded well to a cultural change.

"It has been an extraordinary experience in that regard, when you think about the clash of cultures that has come. We've dressed our guys in Italian suits and they've embraced that whole concept," he said.

"Their involvement in the community has increased dramatically, and we've not had an incident of misbehaviour off the field.

"We think the players are the stars and should be celebrated.

"It's giving them respect as sports people and they've embraced that. We started the ball rolling, but now it's in the hands of the players and coach.

"Only yesterday the players had a function with 50 former players for a few beers and a chat on what it means to play for Souths. That initiative came from the present players."

Holmes a Court, Souths executive chairman, said the club had been operating on an annual budget of about $9.5 million until this season, when almost twice that much was needed to be successful.

"To be a really top team it's probably closer to $20 million," he said.

Souths has a strong supporter base in Queensland (22 per cent of club membership), but Holmes a Court said relocation was not an option.

"Our club has a real sense of place. It's about the heart of South Sydney around Redfern."

The Courier Mail

Someone throw a phone at this kiwi imbecile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

FFS... Crowe might be doing a good for Souths, but he's also doing a lot of bad.. imagine what the likes of Sattler and Piggins must be thinking, would make them sick...:duh:

Souths are officially the new pretty boys of the competition, and that is a sad thing to say... Souths were once the tough, fight hard club, but after this season, I have to say and sadly, they have taken the mantle from the Roosters as the pretty boys of the NRL.

Armani Suits, trips of ships, stylish clothing for after training, boutique food and now all in love ins.. they are well headed toward the metrosexual point of no return...

I agree with Coaster... As much as I applaud Crowe and PHC for their works in ressurecting a struggling club.. they need to HTFU and have a phone thrown at them... this is a football club, not a hollywood bunch of actors... I'm surprised we haven't see an tantrums yet..

First they fire the cheerleaders because they upset the fans.
    Now this...

Titan One Clubman

FFS Get a room Rusty, then you and your bunnies can have all the love ins you want..

Junior Titan

that is just lame lame lame............ :eyebrow:

Souths are the new Roosters. Whilst Crowe has improved the business aspect of the organisation, a dramatic change in culture like this does more harm than good. What matters to a club is the on-field performance. Whilst trust and friendships help this, having a "love in" and hugging players is a bit out there even for a person who throws phones to get someones attention.

I wonder what is going through Russells head. Being a fan is one thing, an owner another, but trying to be a self-help guru should best be left to the experts. I think Russell should stay on the receiving side of that advice. I wonder how much "advice" he takes from the players when they help him prepare for his movie roles?

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Its hard to separate whats truth and whats acting with Crowe,most of his actions are contrived..

They can have as many LOVE INS as they want..long as they keep going...

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Souths hardmen snub Russell Crowe's hugs
    By Ray Chesterton

August 04, 2007 12:00am

SOUTHS tough men headed by John Sattler say they were stunned by Oscar winner Russell Crowe's attempt to revive the club by telling players he loved them.

"It's a lot of bull . . . t," Sattler said.

Crowe singled out forward Dean Withers for a hug at a player love-in early in the season.

"I love you mate because I feel when I shake your hand that I am somehow touched by your heart," he says in a television documentary beginning next week.

Souths stars who lived through eras when physical force rather than love was the weapon of choice, were stunned.

"Imagine me walking up to John O'Neill (another Souths iron man) and saying I loved him and giving him a hug.

"He'd run. We had coaches like Clive Churchill and Bernie Purcell.

"They never said they loved us even when we won four premierships."

Crowe's speech to the players is part of a six-part series called South Side Story starting on the ABC at 8pm on Tuesday.

It details the tumult at Souths as Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court secured 75 per cent of the votes to win control of the foundation club.

Sattler, former team manager Alan Jones, players, coaches and supporters of the takeover all have their say.

Jones, opposed to the deal, says the $3 million paid was too cheap.

Another Souths legend George Piggins, who led the fight to get the club reinstated in the premiership, declined to be interviewed. "I was uncertain of how it would be edited so I said no.

"I've heard about Russell Crowe saying he loves Dean Widders. He's an actor."

Test forward Gary Stevens said he met Crowe this week for the first time and found him very genuine.

"It's probably harmless to be saying 'I love you' but it seems strange," he said.

Crowe says his support of Souths dates back decades and his push to take over the club was sparked by a request for $100,000 to pay club wages.

SOurce: Daily Telegraph

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Piggins says it best..
    "I've heard about Russell Crowe saying he loves Dean Widders. He's an actor."

Nuff said.

Titan CEO

I really enjoyed the first episode of this show. Not too sure about all this loving and hugging stuff tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cronk View Post
    I really enjoyed the first episode of this show. Not too sure about all this loving and hugging stuff tho.
    Yeah, it was interesting. I just hope it spends more time with the team and less time with Russel. BTW, did anyone see the American Chopper Australia where they spent time out at Rusty's farm? This guy is getting more air-time than Eddie McGuire!

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Yeah, it was interesting. I just hope it spends more time with the team and less time with Russel. BTW, did anyone see the American Chopper Australia where they spent time out at Rusty's farm? This guy is getting more air-time than Eddie McGuire!
    The previews actually show some inside the dressing room footae and behind the scenes stuff, and according to some reviews they do look at the team (players etc) more so then focus on Crowe. And yeah i saw the American chopper episode, HUUUGE farm.