Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

haha thanks for the tip. but im sure they'll do the job.

Default Titans coach confident Rogers will play

Source: www.nrl.com.au

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright is confident Mat Rogers will play against South Sydney at Telstra Stadium but the former Wallaby star isn't so sure.

Rogers has missed the Titans' past three matches - defeats to Brisbane, Canberra and the Bulldogs - after fracturing his knee during a 22-6 NRL loss to the New Zealand Warriors on June 30.

The 10th-placed Titans are walking a tightrope in their quest to make the NRL finals and Rogers is desperate to come back a fortnight early from a knee injury which medical staff initially said would sideline him for six weeks.

"He's confident and the doc says there no reason why he shouldn't play," Cartwright said about Rogers, who trained with the team on Friday in a sharp, 90-minute session.

"We'll ice him up, get him down to Sydney and see how he is (Saturday).

"We're hopeful. He's come through the session and he's had a good week outside of that."

Cartwright said he wouldn't risk playing Rogers if he feared the 31-year-old dual international would break down again.

The coach said he had learnt his lesson after rushing back Titans co-captain Scott Prince against Canberra two weeks ago only to see the classy halfback suffer a recurrence of a collarbone injury that ruled him out for another three weeks.

"We've got six games to play and anything can happen," Cartwright said.

"The medical staff are pretty confident that he'll get through."

A cautious Rogers didn't exactly share that confidence when he spoke to reporters after training on Friday.

"I feel a little bit sore at the minute but if I wait until I'm not sore at all, I could be waiting until next year," he said.

"Fingers crossed I'll be able to play but I'm not holding my breath.

"The knee probably isn't moving as freely as I'd like. It'll probably break again if I get whacked on it.

"Whether the coach wants to risk that against a player who's fit and can play and possibly risk me hurting myself again, it's up to him."

The Titans will welcome back key forward Anthony Laffranchi from a knee injury against the Rabbitohs, who are equal with Gold Coast on 18 competition points.

Rogers admits the lure of an early comeback to help out a team low on confidence has played on his mind.

"It does have some impact (on my decision) but we still have five games after this one so winning or losing this game isn't the be-all and end-all of our season," he noted.

"You have to weigh up the risk versus reward factor I suppose and I haven't played for three weeks.

"I could go out there and play terrible."

Rogers will replace Luke O'Dwyer in the starting line-up if he's passed fit to play against the Rabbitohs.
    Source: AAP
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Reading into matty"s comment i think give him another week so at least we have him fit instead of a repeat of the princey saga.Id rather have a fit matt for 5 games than not ready for 1 then out for another 3.lukes doing ok in centres at the mo anyway.

'Squeeze' still haunts Titans' Delaney

Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:59 PM

It's been two months since Brett Delaney was accused of squeezing an opponent's testicles - and the Gold Coast centre is still constantly reminded of the controversial incident.

South Sydney prop Jaiman Lowe delivered a knockout punch to Delaney in a round 11 NRL match at Carrara on May 26, claiming the Titan had grabbed his testicles nearing fulltime.

Lowe was sent off for the offence - later described by Titans coach John Cartwright as a "gutless cheap shot" - as Gold Coast won the match 25-18.

He copped a four-match suspension for the king-hit while Delaney escaped any charge due to a lack of evidence but was left with concussion and a deep gash to his head.

The Titans will take on the Rabbitohs at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night but Lowe (hand injury) won't have the chance to exact revenge on Delaney, who has denied any wrongdoing.

"I've been copping flak every week," Delaney said.

"I just laugh so it doesn't get to me. The crowds down in Sydney might say a couple of things.

"It's quite funny sometimes when there's a break in play and you can hear it."

Rabbitohs fans are certain to send Delaney some vitriolic barbs but he isn't fazed.

To his credit Delaney hasn't shied away from the issue, waiting patiently to answer questions from the media after his teammates had left training.

"I knew this would come up, let's not beat around the bush," he said.

"That was a bit of hiccup but I played the next week and he (Lowe) didn't so it's his loss.

"I've got a little scar there. I'll just get on with things."

Delaney said he had cleared the air with Rabbitohs coach Jason Taylor, who had accused the Titans three-quarter of deliberately targeting Lowe's testicles to ensure he reacted.

"I spoke to JT a couple of days afterwards," recalled Delaney, who knows Taylor from their days together at Parramatta.

"He rang me and sorted it all out. I understand now why he said what he said.

"We've cleared it all up."

When asked whether he still held a grudge against Lowe, Delaney was less diplomatic.

"Well, I didn't hear from him and that was a bit disappointing," he commented.

"At the end of the day he got four weeks (suspension). Someone told me he's not playing now so it doesn't really bother me."

A hand injury is keeping Lowe on the sideline.

Delaney - who is friends with Souths trio Dean Widders, Ben Rogers and Jeremy Smith - said he had put the saga to bed.

"After a couple of weeks I was over it. It's long gone now," he added.

But the Rabbitohs faithful, and most likely the players, aren't going to let him forget it that easily.

Titans vow to lift for Rabbitohs clash

Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:29 PM

With Gold Coast's NRL season virtually on the line against South Sydney on Saturday night, the players formed a huddle after training on Friday and vowed to plug the holes in their leaking defence.

Having conceded a massive 92 points and missed 81 tackles in their last two matches, the Titans have their backs against the wall heading into the round 20 clash at Telstra Stadium.

"It's win at all costs for us," said inspirational prop Luke Bailey, who made a passionate address to the players after a sharp, 90-minute training session.

Key forward Anthony Laffranchi (knee) returns from a four-week lay-off but it's uncertain whether dual international Mat Rogers (knee) will come back two weeks earlier than expected.

"The knee probably isn't moving as freely as I'd like," a cautious Rogers told reporters.

"It'll probably break again if I get whacked on it.

"Whether the coach wants to risk that against a player who's fit and can play and possibly risk me hurting myself again, it's up to him."

Bailey revealed the players spoke about turning around their woeful defence to help set them back on course for an historic NRL finals berth following four straight losses.

"It wasn't a big heart-to-heart, just mentioning a few basics that we need to do," said Bailey, adding he was looking forward to confronting outstanding Rabbitohs prop Roy Asotasi.

"Looking at last week's game (a 36-12 defeat against the Bulldogs) it looked pretty ordinary but watching the video, it wasn't too bad.

"It was just three or four defensive lapses that let in easy tries.

"We've addressed them at training during the week and it's just a matter of having confidence in each other.

"Everyone seemed pumped over there (in the huddle) so it's a good feeling."

Rogers said the Titans were frustrated that people were claiming they had overachieved in their inaugural season.

"We feel like we've underachieved," said Rogers, who has been sidelined for three matches.

"The frustrating thing is that people don't think we're as good as what we think we are.

"When you get criticised and people say we've overachieved, that's what burns inside and that's what fires players to succeed."

In a bid to add attacking spark to an outfit missing playmaker Scott Prince (collarbone), coach John Cartwright has shifted fullback Preston Campbell to five-eighth and handed Chris Walker the No.1 jersey.

Cartwright defended the form of Campbell, who has lacked confidence since returning from a serious knee injury four weeks ago, blaming the Titans' form slump on the inability of the forwards to muscle up.

"Our forwards have been under the pump and we haven't had any domination," said Cartwright, whose team has a horrible 2-6 away record.

"You can't expect a bloke who's five foot four and 75 kilos to do a job for us. He needs a bit of a platform to work from but I can see improvement in him every week."

On the flip side the little men have been in superb form for the Rabbitohs, with hooker Issac Luke, fullback Nathan Merritt and rookie halfback Eddie Paea terrorising their opponents.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Souths'n'Titans View Post
    No...you guys are now seeing the REAL Mini.

He is a disgrace of a player.
    Maybe you should reconsider if you want to be on this site,considering your forum name you dont seem to be a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
    Maybe you should reconsider if you want to be on this site,considering your forum name you dont seem to be a fan.
    well said prometheus

it will be a shame if matty is forced to play, he is obviously not confident about his knee so that will affect his playing style i believe.

my first live titans game! :woot:

Quote Originally Posted by Souths'n'Titans View Post
    No...you guys are now seeing the REAL Mini.

He is a disgrace of a player.
    I've just found your real name WAYNE CAR
    #itaintweaktospeak

Bad start. Hope we get better.

What's happening with kick chase? What's happening with Smith Samua? Very slow start..... where's the urgency?

Not even 10 minutes in and I bet Coaster is throwing furniture around watching this defence....

Half time, Titans have turned it around, and lead 10-8!!! Luke Bailey and Mat Rogers both scoring!!!

Come on Titans!!!!!

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee View Post
    Half time, Titans have turned it around, and lead 10-8!!! Luke Bailey and Mat Rogers both scoring!!!

Come on Titans!!!!!
    Man, I'll take the 2 point half time lead, but I seriously doubt if we really deserve it. We have certainly straightened up a bit from a VERY shaky start, and some of the refereeing has been a bit suspect.... but hey, 2 points ahead is heaps better than 8- nil after 10 minutes!

Go the TITANS!!!!