Default Round 19: Cronulla Sharks vs Manly Sea Eagles

Cronulla Sharks vs Manly Sea Eagles
    Toyota Park, Friday 20th July, 7:30PM

vs

Referee: Shayne Hayne

Team Notes:

Sharks

- Misi Taulapapa, Anthony Watts and Paul Gallen are all suspended for this match

- Dane Nielsen replaces Taulapapa on the wing, Brett Seymour replaces Watts at halfback, Cameron Ciraldo replaces Gallen in the second row

- Kevin Kingston replaces Issac De Gois at Hooker, with De Gois on the bench

- Dayne Weston replaces Lance Thompson in second row

- Greg Bird is injured and replaced by Henry Perenara at five eighth

- Eddie Su'a and Paul Stevenson go onto bench

- Jacob Selmes is injured, with Luke Covell returning early from injury to go onto the wing and be captain with Dane Nielsen going onto the bench.

Sea Eagles

- Mark Bryant replaces Jason King at Prop.

- Travis Burns is out with an ankle injury and there is doubts about the fitness of Watmough, Orford, Lyon and Matai.

Teams:

1 David Simmons
    2 Mitch Brown
    3 Ben Pomeroy
    4 Fraser Anderson
    18 Luke Covell (c)
    6 Henry Perenara
    7 Brett Seymour
    8 Luke Douglas
    9 Kevin Kingston
    10 Craig Stapleton
    11 Cameron Ciraldo
    12 Dayne Weston
    13 Reece Williams

Interchange:

14 Eddie Su'a
    5 Dane Neilsen
    16 Paul Stephenson
    17 Isaac De Gois

1. Brett Stewart
    2. Michael Robertson
    3. Steve Bell
    4. Steve Matai
    5. Chris Hicks
    6. Jamie Lyon
    7. Matt Orford (c)
    8. Mark Bryant
    9. Michael Monaghan
    10. Brent Kite
    11. Anthony Watmough
    12. Glenn Stewart
    13. Luke Williamson

Interchange:

14. Glenn Hall
    15. Steve Menzies
    17. Jack Afamasaga
    18. Adam Cuthbertson

Default Cronulla Sharks recall Seymour

Cronulla Sharks recall Seymour

July 17, 2007 - 7:57PM

Cronulla halfback Brett Seymour's whirlwind season came full circle on Tuesday with the out-of-favour Shark named to make his long-awaited return to the NRL against Manly this Friday.

Playing park football only weeks ago after being told he was unwanted by the club, Seymour was Tuesday rushed in as halfback for the injury-and-suspension ravaged Sharks as the chronic player shortage deepened further at the club.

Already missing up to a dozen NRL-class players worth more than $2 million, the sinking Sharks were dealt another crippling blow with veteran backrower Lance Thompson ruled out for up to two weeks with a knee injury.

He joins Greg Bird (thumb), Paul Gallen, Misi Taulapapa and Anthony Watts (one-match suspensions) as casualties from the Sharks' loss to Sydney Roosters last weekend, their fourth straight defeat and sixth loss in seven games.

The likes of Brett Kimmorley (knee), Ben Ross (suspension), Adam Dykes (quad) and Luke Covell (ankle) were already out, leaving coach Ricky Stuart to select a vastly inexperienced and understrength line-up to face the might of a Sea Eagles side sitting second on the ladder, and coming off a pair of big wins.

Utility Henry Perenara, who has spent the majority of season in Premier League, was promoted from the bench to starting five-eighth as coach Ricky Stuart made six changes to his side.

Manly coach Des Hasler, however, rejected suggestions the Sharks' player woes would make Friday's clash at Toyota Park any easier.

"It's always tough playing down there. The injuries and suspensions makes it even tougher," said Hasler.

"Adversity does a great thing to the human spirit.

"It's a great challenge for them. They'll turn up and they'll play out of their skins."

Seymour arrived at the Sharks this season hopeful of resurrecting his NRL career after being dumped by Brisbane midway through last year for disciplinary reasons.

He featured in the early rounds, but has not played in the NRL since round seven, instead forced to bide his time in Premier League and park football while trying to find a new deal for 2008.

Injuries have also forced the Gold Coast and Bulldogs into some interesting moves for their clash on Friday.

The Titans, missing 11 out of 29 recognised first graders, on Tuesday shifted Josh Lewis to halfback and named Matt Hilder at five-eighth to fill in for the injured Scott Prince (collarbone).

While the Dogs have drafted in 27-year-old park footballer Fred Briggs to make his NRL debut from with the club missing front-row enforcers Mark O'Meley and Willie Mason.

The Dogs, though, have been boosted by the return of former Test centre Willie Tonga and Kiwi international Sonny Bill Williams from injury.

"It's sweet for this week, my ribs pulled up a bit sore after the Cronulla game, there was a chance of it getting worse (against Penrith last week) but the doc said if I had one week off I should be 100 per cent for this week, it's feeling really good," Williams said.

Newcastle named Danny Buderus to play the Sydney Roosters on Saturday despite reports he picked up a knee injury - to go with his ongoing achilles tendon problem - in the Knights' 44-0 loss to Melbourne on Monday night.

Storm sensation Greg Inglis has been named for his first game since injuring his knee in the third State of Origin match, with the Queensland star slotting straight back into five-eighth and Matt Geyer shifted to the wing to play Canberra on Saturday night.

Wests Tigers youngster Shannon Gallant, 21, will make his NRL debut at fullback against the New Zealand Warriors on Sunday.

Nathan Merritt will start at fullback for South Sydney against North Queensland with retiring fullback David Peachey rested.

Brisbane has named Tonie Carroll at five-eighth for injured star Darren Lockyer to face Parramatta on Monday, with the Eels boosted by the return of centre Ben Smith from a knee injury.

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Default Bouncer gets call-up for Sharks

There you go Sharkey
    Bouncer gets call-up for Sharks

By Dean Ritchie and Josh Massoud

July 18, 2007 12:00am

HE usually spends Friday nights on the door of a western Sydney nightclub, but this week 115kg bouncer Eddie Su'a will be packing down for the Cronulla Sharks.

An injury crisis yesterday prompted coach Ricky Stuart to call on the unknown giant to help get the Sharks' season back on track against Manly at Toyota Park.

A part-time footballer on a $5000-a-year contract, Su'a works six nights a week as a bouncer and once survived getting shot at work.

The sudden elevation of Su'a, 24, came on a day when NRL clubs across the board were struggling to fill their player rosters due to mounting injuries.

The Bulldogs also called in a park footballer yesterday - thrusting 27-year-old carpenter Fred Briggs into the side to tackle the Titans at Carrara on Friday night.

But Su'a's sudden rise to an NRL star is the most remarkable story.

The big Shark works the door at Mounties club and P J Gallaghers in Parramatta, often not finishing until 3.30am.

"It's a hectic life, I don't know how I do it," Su'a told The Daily Telegraph.

"Not many players work and play these days but prayer gets me through and I take this as a blessing that I have achieved first grade.

"I am still living with my parents in Liverpool, it's a bit of a struggle but I have to keep disciplined and I know there are things I have to sacrifice."

As he reflected on his sudden rise to league fame yesterday, Su'a told of the night in 2002 a crazed patron shot him in the leg at Revesby Workers Club.

"A fight broke out on the dance floor and I went to break it up," Su'a said.

"He shot at me five times, one got me in the leg. It certainly put back my football plans."

Sharks coach Stuart is confident Su'a will cut it in the NRL big time.

"He was a park footballer with Helensburgh and also played Premier League this year and I'm just asking him to come in and do himself proud with his performance," he said.

Briggs, the Bulldogs' new recruit, started the season on match payments with Jim Beam Cup side Sydney Bulls.

Currently working on a house in Matraville, the qualified carpenter has been given the rest of the week off to prepare for his NRL debut.

"It's pretty quiet at work, so the boss has given me a bit of time off," Briggs said.

Two other players in Stuart's injury-hit Sharks squad for Friday night are also on humble contracts - Dayne Weston is on an annual $10,000-a-year deal while Henry Perenara signed for just $20,000 a season.
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Jesus Christ I better dust off the boots - at this rate anyone with a Sharks jersey is a possible call up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    Jesus Christ I better dust off the boots - at this rate anyone with a Sharks jersey is a possible call up.
    And with that attitude of yours...you will kick Ass :woot:

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Baby Sharks' greatest test

By Dean Ritchie

July 20, 2007 12:00am

IT is the night when two great Sydney rivals have been asked to prove themselves.

At Toyota Park, a batch of Cronulla rookies - led by reject halfback Brett Seymour - have been issued the enormous task of kick-starting their career.

Because of injury and suspension, Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart has been forced to name Seymour, Eddie Su'a, Dane Nelson, Dayne Weston and Henry Perenara to take on Manly.

They are the five players chosen to protect one of the game's great hoodoos - it has been a staggering 21 years since Manly beat Cronulla at Toyota Park.

The Sea Eagles also have an assignment this evening - to win handsomely or have questions raised about their premiership credentials.

Cronulla will field a team without stars Brett Kimmorley, Paul Gallen, Adam Dykes, Ben Ross, Greg Bird, Lance Thompson and Brett Kearney.

The injury toll has prompted former Test captain Laurie Daley to claim Manly should win by 30 points.

"Melbourne showed that they are the clear front-runners in the NRL with their dominant performance against Newcastle on Monday night," Daley told The Daily Telegraph. "If Manly are to be genuine challengers, they should be able to take care of the depleted Sharks.

"Cronulla will field a team of virtual no-names while Manly have scored 90 points in the past two games and conceded one try. This match will show whether Manly have that ruthless edge it takes to win a premiership."

The Sharks are given no chance but Stuart's side has trained strongly and give themselves a chance of a boilover win.

Asked should Manly win the match easily, Stuart said: "I think their fans would be disappointed in regards to the rest of their season if they didn't.

"They are the second favourites to win the competition.

"But we are preparing to win the match, as we do each week. "

Manly have their own troubles with Matt Orford (flu), Jamie Lyon (ankle), Anthony Watmough (ankle) and Steve Bell (corked thigh) in doubt.

Five-eighth Travis Burns has already been ruled out and prop Jason King is unavailable.

Manly coach Des Hasler refused to comment on Daley's opinion, but earlier in the week said: "It doesn't matter who they put on the park, they always turn up to play and are a very tough side."
    Telegraph

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Seymour desperate to impress

Greg Prichard | July 20, 2007

BRETT Seymour has doubted himself. He has worried that other clubs might not be interested in him. He has faced the possibility his NRL career might be just about over at the age of 23. But tonight, out of nowhere, he finds himself back in first grade for Cronulla. It's just as well he takes things in his stride.

Seymour says that his sudden return - on prime-time television in the game against Manly at Toyota Park, as Sharks coach Ricky Stuart tries to cover for an extraordinary injury toll by pulling players from here, there and everywhere - represents a massive opportunity.

The former Brisbane halfback is searching for a new club for next year after being told by Cronulla he can look elsewhere, despite being in the first year of a two-year deal. But, first things first. Seymour has to make sure his game is right, because a bad night against the Sea Eagles will only make things harder for him.

Asked yesterday what Stuart was looking for from him, Seymour replied: "Plenty. I've spoken to Ricky and he's obviously looking for me to do things in a certain way. It's not the best way to get an opportunity, when so many other guys are having bad luck with injuries, but I'll still be giving 100 per cent. The chips are down, and I'm just trying to give Ricky a hand."

Seymour made his first-grade debut for the Broncos at 17, following Allan Langer into the No.7 jumper. But, gradually, things began to go downhill and, last year, he was cut by the club for repeated, alcohol-related infringements.

Former Broncos teammate Neville Costigan was shown the door at the same time, for the same reason, but, while Costigan's career is back on track, with Canberra and Queensland, Seymour's has entered the twilight zone. It's either going to come back to light or fade to black from here.

To Seymour's credit, he has rolled with the punches, which has impressed Stuart. "He's a good bloke and an honest character," Stuart said yesterday. "He understands it isn't a personal thing."

The coach said that if Seymour did not find another suitable option and was still at Cronulla next year, he would still be paid - but Seymour has been around. He is well aware that he needs to find a new club sooner, rather than later if he hopes to survive in the competition over the long term.

The lowest point for Seymour came when he was dropped to the local A-grade competition, two months ago. "I was supposed to play for Engadine, but I never actually did," he said. "I was injured the first week and then the competition got rained off for five weeks. They like to look after their ovals down here. But I was still training with Cronulla.

"I was pretty sure I wasn't going to play first grade again, even after I got back in the premier league side a couple of weeks ago, but things happen. I'm still contracted to the Sharks for next year, but I don't think my situation would change even if I played well in first grade.

"It's like an audition for me, tomorrow night's game. People tend to forget you and you wonder what other clubs think of you. [Manager] George Mimis is on the prowl for me, but it isn't easy, finding another club.

"I don't think I've got the quota of first-grade games up to get a start in England, so it's a hairy one. But we'll keep looking. The best thing, when you're going through something like this, is that the players know it could happen to anyone, so we stick together.

"I thought the world was open to me when I made first grade at the Broncos. It's been a learning experience since. It makes you think twice about yourself and your ability, but at the end of the day, I'm a pretty confident sort of guy. I know I can do it."
    AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Well that result helps the Titans cause!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Manly just beat Sharks

SEA EAGLES 29 SHARKS 22

MANLY coach Des Hasler last night earned the ire of Cronulla rival Ricky Stuart by jokingly calling for a "cement mixer" to deal with the referee after his side's unimpressive 29-22 win at Toyota Park.

Angry about Shane Hayne's latitude around the ruck during Manly's come-from-behind victory over Cronulla's part-timers, Hasler echoed Sea Eagles great Bob Fulton's fury at the same venue 20 years ago when he said: "I've got to be critical of the referee. I thought his handling of the ruck was very poor.

"At one stage there we might have been calling for a cement mixer . . . but we got away without it."

Hasler's quip was a clear reference to an infamous barb launched by Fulton in 1987.

The then-Manly coach, Fulton said he hoped referee Bill Harrigan would be "hit by a cement truck" after a controversial 16-13 loss to Cronulla.

Just as they were two decades ago, Cronulla officials were appalled last night.

While savouring his side's brave performance, Stuart shot back: "Des Hasler is talking about cement trucks, but we got penalised on a number of occasions for wrestling in the ruck.

"We also had five tries from five penalties tonight . . . if anyone should be critical of the referee it's me. I would be looking for excuses too if my side played like that."

For the record Cronulla won the penalty count 11-6 - and also the hearts of a small but vocal crowd of 6494.

Despite facing a team missing nine topliners, it took second-placed Manly 75 minutes to snap their 21-year hoodoo in the Shire.

With the scores locked at 22-all, replacement forward Adam Cuthbertson crashed over to save his bumbling side a red-faced trip home. Skipper Michael Monaghan sealed the result with a late field goal, but things might have been very different had revived Cronulla half Brett Seymour's attempt not struck woodwork eight minutes earlier.

Adding to tensions between the two beachside clubs, a proud Stuart chirped: "I don't think the better side won.

"If that field goal went over, we win."

Stuart nominated Manly fullback Brett Stewart as the difference, and the NSW star was instrumental n two tries that brought the visitors back from a 20-12 deficit.

Before Stewart's cameo, Cronulla's eclectic team of rejects, bouncers, storemen and Mormons somehow orchestrated the Sharks' best attacking performance in seven weeks.

The part-timers enjoyed the upper hand for the best part of the game as Manly struggled to tolerate their opponents' niggling tactics.

Hasler later agreed Cronulla had intended to stifle his star-laden team, but added: "We gave them plenty of help as well."

Indeed, the unbackable favourites imploded several times as events failed to go to script.

Two kick-offs were sent out on the full, while international centres Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai missed regulation one-on-one tackles that led to Cronulla tries and a 14-12 lead for the despised underdogs.

MANLY 29 (A Cuthbertson, G Hall, C Hicks, B Stewart, L Williamson tries; S Matai 4 goals, M Monaghan field goal) CRONULLA 22 (F Anderson, H Perenara, R Williams tries; B Seymour 5 goals) at Toyota Park. Referee: S Hayne. Crowd: 6494
    Telegraph

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Stuart happy despite fifth straight loss

July 21, 2007 - 10:35AM

You get the impression Ricky Stuart is the type of guy who would find it hard to crack a smile on his own birthday - which is why it was strange to see him in such an upbeat mood after Cronulla's 29-22 loss to Manly on Friday night.

The defeat - the Sharks' fifth in a row - was just about the final nail in the coffin for his side's NRL finals hopes and ended a 21-year home winning streak over the Sea Eagles.

Yet Stuart remained positive - pointing to the fact his injury and suspension depleted side pushed one of the competition favourites all the way.

They went within the width of an upright of a famous win after Brett Seymour's field goal attempt found metal instead of fresh air, but the only thing not indicating a win in the Sharks dressing room after the game was the two competition points.

"What we've got here as a group of players, it might not be this year or next year ... but I can honestly say we've got the platform and it's a very healthy platform to work with," Stuart said after the game.

"We're not getting any breaks at the moment - I think that's our tenth game we've lost where we were in it and we could have won, but we're just not good enough yet.

"I'm so proud of the guys in their effort there tonight with what we had."

He reserved special praise for Seymour, the former Brisbane halfback who was told only a matter of months ago he didn't have a future at the club.

He was deemed not good enough even for Premier League and was banished to park football - but on Friday night answered Stuart's SOS with a performance which in all probability would have won him the man of the match award had his side got up.

With none of his injured brigade due back next week Stuart said Seymour would be given another chance in the No.7, but as far as a long-term future at the club goes, the Test coach was non-committal.

"That's purely up to the performance and the consistency of Brett showing what he did tonight," Stuart said.

"Tonight he played like a first grader that a club would be happy to have as a No.7.

"It's never been a personal thing with Brett, but it's very hard balancing the salary cap and the roster.

"We've always said that we will honour Brett's contract."

While no doubt happy with his side's win, Des Hasler would probably like to consign the tape of Friday night's game to the scrapheap and just move onto next week's monster clash against Parramatta.

The Sea Eagles were nowhere near the clinical machine which steamrolled past Wests Tigers last week - the performance most probably a result of a virus which swept through the club during the week and cost them skipper Matt Orford for Friday night's game.

"We're usually much more disciplined than that," Hasler said.

"How the discipline can turn around in the space of seven days is a bit concerning and is something I probably need to take up with the referee officialdom."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY