Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackWillie View Post
    Didn't hear how Walker went on his return. Can anyone enlighten me?
    He didn't get alot of opportunity with the ball. He went close to making a line break. Hopefully next week he'll get to play fullback or wing for the whole game.

PHP Code:
    Hey Coaster,

The Titans dominated possession for the opening twenty minutes of the gamebut could not coem up with tries due to al ack of options in attack had Rogers or Prince been there than tries probably would have resulted

Exactly! Why is it that ever time we seem to get some combination nearly cracking it we have positional changes?? It starting to give me the Sh**ts
    can't we hold and see what happens. I thought we looked pretty sharp in the first 20 tonight. Our defence killing us. Can Lewis do anythng but kick?? Thank god for Bails tonight experience makes the diff.

I liked what I saw from the Titans tonight.
    We were never going to win that one without Prince, Laffranchi and Rogers.
    We created some good roll around the ruck but couldn't capitalise without Prince.
    Josh Graham showed some good signs, even though he was caught out a few times in the centre defending beside the inside men also not reading the play.

I can't say Preston played well but at least he had a go this week.
    Walker and Preston looked lost swapping roles at the back.

One thing I have to say to Preston if your reading this...don't think your big enough to defend on the defensive line next to the ruck.
    Push your forwards in and start reading the outside play. No defender outside you will mark their man, they know they have to help you.

Bulldogs bag comfortable win over Titans

July 20, 2007 - 11:17PM

Damaging back-rower Reni Maitua pleaded with his fellow forwards to continue to carry the workload of injured stars Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley following the Bulldogs' comprehensive 36-12 NRL victory over Gold Coast at Carrara.

Despite missing Mason (wrist) and O'Meley (hamstring), the Dogs consolidate their top-eight spot while consigning the injury-ravaged Titans to their fourth straight loss after man-of-the-match Maitua, Sonny Bill Williams and replacement props Chris Armit and Jarrad Hickey all stepped up.

Bulldogs pair Luke Patten and Daryl Millard bagged two tries apiece in front of a healthy 15,873-strong crowd, while halves Ben Roberts and Brent Sherwin controlled the game with their clever kicking.

"It's very important, especially for the rest of the year, that the forwards stand up and really take control of the pack," said Maitua, also voted players' player after scoring a try and making several crucial breaks.

"We are missing a lot of size up front with Willie and Ogre (O'Meley) being out.

"It goes without saying that there's more responsibility on the back-rowers and guys like Chris Armit and Jarrad Hickey who are starting up front."

The Titans looked a bit lost in attack without injured playmaker Scott Prince (collarbone), relying on prop Luke Bailey to score the home side's only tries, although Josh Lewis tried hard to spark things for his team.

"There's still a fair way to go in this competition - we're not losing sight of that - but at the moment we're in a little bit of a hole," coach John Cartwright admitted.

The Titans' dreams of securing a finals appearance in their inaugural season are evaporating with every loss but Cartwright remains optimistic.

"Maybe we're focusing a bit too much on the play-offs," he said.

"We've still got a long way to go. I think there's a lot of twists and turns left in this competition yet.

"Take a picture of the eight now, I think it's going to be a little bit different come round 25."

The Bulldogs, who have now won four of their past five matches, raced to a commanding 24-6 half-time lead following tries to Millard, Maitua, winger Heka Nanai and Patten, who came off late in the match with a pinched nerve in his shoulder.

Williams lifted his team-mates with some bone-rattling hits on the Titans, who were coming off a demoralising 56-10 loss to Canberra.

Bailey gave the home supporters a glimmer of hope in the 51st minute when he crossed for a soft try - his second for the night - to leave the Titans trailing 24-12.

But the Bulldogs dominated the rest of the half, scoring through Patten (55m) and Millard (59m).

Sharp-shooting goal-kicker Hazem El Masri was again flawless, booting six goals from six attempts.

Cartwright said he was pleased with the comeback of winger Chris Walker, who came off the bench in his first NRL match since round one.

"I thought he was very sharp and slippery," Cartwright noted. I thought he went really well."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Well what can I say but GOOD WIN BOYS...

They didn't play at anywhere near 100% last night, but the boys did the job needed and they put together some very promising signs for the Blue and White fight to the finals...

I think in the last 20 we did slacken off a little and we need to improve on that aspect... however we always did enough to ensure the GC weren't going to get a point from it... and we definitely didn't play at 100% tonight... there is a lot of room for improvement there.

However in saying that, we made lots of opportunities last night and had Ryan and El Magic held the ball when they got theirs, we could have scored 50 easily.

Top effort by SBW and Reni last night, superb and they just took the leadership role to a whole new level... and they were well supported by Armit and Hickey, especially Luva who played a large part of that first half and who just kept going hard... I am sure he doesn't normally play such long spells.

Briggs was impressive in his debut, as you said, didn't put a foot wrong, didn't drop the ball, wasn't awed by the situation and was quite damaging off the kickoff... he made lots of metres and worked hard, and that is what you ask for a front rower... definite first grader there...

The backs were in tune and gave great support, Shifty and Benny, after starting quite poorly got it together and seem to be improving the combination every week and it's starting to look quite ominous.

Overall, there are some very positive signs there, plenty of improvement, but the signs are starting to look good...hopefully as players come back they can slot into the roles that are there and we can keep improving and growing...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok and now putting my GC hat on and I must say a gallant performance considering the injuries but as many have said on this forum, just not good enough.

I cringe at how wafer thin the defense up the middle is.. I mean Briggsy made 10m running back off every kickoff and SBW and Reni were having a field day carving up the centre of the field... when you allow that you don't just allow a player to get through, but you also set up a quick play the ball on the next play which as the Doggies showed last night, gives quicker ball movement, forces more players in the tackle and leaves the wings wide open.

Speaking of which, I think as a side, GC defend way to much in a cramped sort of style, compacted to the centre of the field... and there is too much running from the outer edges to help out when there should be one on one defense... I mean Graham left his side of the field wide open last night by doing it and the Bulldogs capitalised big time.

Well done to Josh Lewis last night, he had a solid game and really tried hard, creating some nice plays but I don't think he got any support last night besides from Bull Bailey, who once again gave a 10/10 captains performance and who made me smile when he confused the defense of the dogs...

To finish off, Preston needs to get more leadership... he is way off confidence ATM and he needs to find it quickly or it could be a long season... as he is really struggling and without his leadership the whole side seems to be devoid in where to go once it creates an opportunity.... there were so many there last night, however the finishing was atrocious... and had the Bulldogs been the Storm, there may have been 60 scored against.

The Titans are going to have to dig deep to come back, but there were some good signs there... however, the team will need to fix the defensive issues and strengthen the middle of the field if they have any chance of getting it back in the groove this season.

Titan Club Captain

Woot go the wounded bulldogs

I only seen the first half, as since the basketball was on I didnt get to see the game till 11:30pm, and fell asleep at halftime lol.

In the first half, Maitua, Sonny Bill, Tonga and Patten all really stood out for me, and it was great to see Heka score woot. Oh Millard was good too.

6th now, lets hope results go our way.

Titans 'too focused' on making finals

July 21, 2007 - 11:56AM

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has urged his players to focus on their individual performances rather than securing an NRL finals berth.

The pressure is mounting on the Titans following their fourth consecutive defeat on Friday night - a 36-12 mauling at the hands of the Bulldogs at Carrara.

The NRL newcomers must defeat South Sydney at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night to not only snatch a valuable two points but to help restore confidence in the injury-ravaged squad missing a swag of players, including halfback Scott Prince (collarbone).

They need to win four of their remaining six games to secure a top eight spot and face daunting trips to Auckland and Melbourne in the next few weeks.

"The pressure is there every week to perform but we are getting down to the wire now," Cartwright noted.

"It is a big focal point - the finals series coming up - but we just have to worry about improving our individual performances and that'll help our team performance.

"Maybe we're focusing a bit too much on the play-offs.

"We've still got a long way to go. I think there's a lot of twists and turns in this competition yet.

"Take a picture of the eight now, I think it's going to be a little bit different come round 25."

The Titans were completely outclassed by the Bulldogs on Friday night but there were a few positives to emerge from the wreckage, in particular the efforts of inspirational prop Luke Bailey.

The skipper's impressive stats read two tries, two line breaks, 49 tackles, 16 hit-ups and 171 metres.

Battling back from a knee injury and a lengthy in-house suspension for a drunken incident in April, Chris Walker returned to first grade off the bench but he had few opportunities to make an impact.

The Bulldogs held an 18-0 lead before Walker even touched the ball.

"I thought he showed some really good signs," Cartwright said.

"He just couldn't break free there a couple of times but then again when we're going well he's away and scoring tries.

"He'll improve from that. He's been out of the game at first grade level for a while (four months) and he's coming off the back of a knee injury.

"He's done everything asked of him."

Walker played at centre before interchanging with Preston Campbell at fullback in the second half against a rampant Bulldogs.

Asked whether Walker had won back the confidence of his teammates, Campbell replied: "I don't think he had any problem in the first place.

"When he's around the boys he's right. He's a top trainer and he gives his all when he's out playing."

Cartwright said he expected workhorse back-rower Anthony Laffranchi and possibly Mat Rogers (both knee) to return against the Rabbitohs, although former Wallaby star Rogers is more likely to play against Wests Tigers at Carrara on August 4.

The coach said he was concerned about the team's defensive lapses, with the Titans conceding a massive 92 points in their past two matches.

"It's something we were pretty good at doing early in the year but the last two weeks, it's gone away from us," he said about the Titans' defence.

"It's a big confidence factor at the moment and something we just have to turn around."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

a couple of my personal views on the match, thankgod we had bailey in our side he gave 110% great game from the bull, our defence down the short side was terrible they killed us down the shortside with great passes hitting the guys in the hole, also of every scrum we didnt try onre thing different delaney just took the ball up maybe one time the team could have worked a move or something maybe a cut out ball or an inside runner, preston is not a fullback once again he is very non commital to the ball and got caught out in defence at the back and also when defending in the line i think a bench spot is the best, maybe briniging him on in the hooker role remember he carved the panthers up in the trial match coming of the bench. also webster is missing his spark from melbourne looks to me he is just happy to get tackled and play the ball, jake is a great footballer but is alcking either confidence or is carrying a injury which is limiting him in running
    they are just a couple of views i have

sdfdgertre

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Whether Josh Lewis handles half back or not...he will definately benefit by the experience and once Prince is back, the best halve combination in the NRL will be even stronger.

I don't know how many points we need to make the top 8 but if Prince is out for the next 3 games...I'd be happy to win 1 game.

Anyway...we do have a good chance in this clash if the Bulldogs start using their brains.
    yeah , and i think what you have said is so good , and i like play the silkroad game , and i think it is a good game , and it can give me so much pleasure ,