Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I find that worrying TBH... ... but that's cause I'm blue and white tonight....

It certainly strengthens the side and having Campbell playing in his more natural position of the halves will mean the Dogs will need to be on their A game, otherwise he might just give the boys a lesson... especially with Lewis beside him.

Walker is a solid competitor at fullback and considering his QLD Cup form, a real threat if he gets it right... this would only be for the benefit of the GC if it was to occur.

Default Round 19: Gold Coast Titans vs Bulldogs

Patten warns teammates over `cornered' Titans

Adam Gardini

20Jul07

BULLDOGS fullback Luke Patten has warned his teammates not to underestimate a Titans outfit with their backs against the wall heading into tonight's blockbuster at Gold Coast Stadium.

Despite the injury crisis threatening to derail the Titans' inaugural season, Patten said the combination of `opportunity' and a chance for the Gold Coast to gain redemption after last weekend's 46-point shellacking by Canberra spelt danger for the visitors.

Patten said he had no doubt the Gold Coast would have endured a week of torture under former Bulldogs fitness guru Billy Johnstone since the loss to the Raiders and would be eager to respond.

He also said the injury toll which had crippled the Titans could also have an upside -- with players often shining when handed an opportunity in the absence of their more high-profile teammates.

"I know what it's like especially with Billy -- they probably had a tough week coming into us," said Patten, who spent a year training under Johnstone before the hard-nosed conditioner left the Bulldogs to join North Queensland in 2002.

"I know they've got injuries but blokes can get that opportunity and rise, sometimes they can be harder to play against than blokes that have been there all year so it'll definitely be a tough game.

"It's an important game for both us and the Gold Coast, we're both on the same amount of points (18 premiership points)."

The Bulldogs too have been hit hard by injuries recently with damaging props Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley both injured in last Saturday night's upset 30-20 loss to Penrith.

The predicament has handed an opportunity to little-known prop Fred Briggs to make his NRL debut off the Bulldogs interchange bench in tonight's clash.

Briggs, 27, had spent the year playing for the Sydney Bulls in the Sydney Premier League before the call-up from Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes.

Patten said the inclusion of Briggs and several other relative unknowns for other clubs this week was the positive side to the major player drain being felt by the NRL, with more than 70 regular first-graders currently sidelined through injury.

"Each year it's getting harder on the body," he said.

"That's just footy these days and instead of having a top-25 you need a top-40 or something.

"I guess that's probably not a bad thing either with players getting a start when they probably might not have got a start.

"So there's a positive to it as well because they get a chance and they can show what they do as well."

Patten confessed he had not known much about Briggs before he joined the Bulldogs this week.

"I know he's a pretty solid guy and got a bit of footwork and a bit of an offload so it'll be interesting to see how he goes," said Patten.
    GC Bulletin

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Default Round 19: Gold Coast Titans vs Bulldogs

Redemption in mind as battle with Bulldogs looms

John Cartwright, Titans Coach

20Jul07

REDEMPTION THAT is what we'll be playing for when we run out at Carrara against the Bulldogs tonight.

Last week's 56-10 loss against the Raiders cut deep for everyone, not just the players but the entire coaching staff and our many proud fans.

Every game we head into we aim to win and we went down to Canberra fully expecting to bring two competition points back to the Gold Coast.

We thought we were ready for everything they could throw at us. We even went down early to prepare for the frosty conditions, but for whatever reason our game imploded.

We lost a few to injury and before we knew it a try would lead to another try and our confidence dropped. We were bitterly disappointed with the way the scoreline blew out down there. But these things happen. This week we are looking for redemption as a way of putting last week totally out of out memory.

This week is not about winning or losing, it is not about the Titans keeping themselves in the top eight.

It is totally about restoring the pride in our jumper, not only in our fans' eyes but in our own.

If we can come off after the Bulldogs game and be totally satisfied with the effort we put in, the hunger we showed and know that each player gave 110 per cent for the bloke standing next to him, I will be happy.

You see, you learn things every week in this competition.

Last week we totally expected to go down to Canberra and beat a side that was below us on the competition table.

But you just can't go into games expecting to win.

What you can expect is to go into every game and give it all you have got and leave nothing left in the tank. If that is enough to get a win than so be it.

* IT WILL be our first game without co-captain and playmaker Scott Prince this week.

We have had a few weeks where he has been in doubt so far this year, so it has been in the back of my mind that one day we will have to run out without him.

Princey is a dominant player and every side which does have a dominant player like that is going to struggle if they lose him.

History shows us that.

You only have to look at what the Broncos can do without Darren Lockyer, or the Knights, who went without Andrew Johns for the season in 2005 and got the wooden spoon. Now that was not long after they won a grand final with him there in 2001.

When players like Lockyer, Johns and Prince get their hands on the ball as often as they do they are hard to replace.

Add to it the fact they just feel comfortable with the guys around them, their entire surrounds and that they are confident in their own ability and it is easy to see how just one player can transform a side.

It is very hard when they are forced out for someone to come in and feel just as confident, and have the players around him know him as well as they did the bloke before.

Actually, it is near impossible.

We are going to have to change our game up a little bit to accommodate a new pairing in the halves in Josh Lewis and Matt Hilder.

But at the end of the day they are first grade footballers and they will adapt to it. But how we adapt to it will probably determine the result.

* A LOT of clubs don't like the short turnaround but it has been good for us coming off such a bad loss.

We have had only two training sessions since last Sunday, but it has allowed us to focus on the job ahead of us, work really hard in pursuit of that and put Canberra out of our minds.

You are what you do on the field.

These guys are professional footballers and everywhere you go people want to know about the side, people want to talk about your last game.

And people want to talk about how you were last seen, and we aren't happy with how we were last seen.

The plan this week is to go out and redeem ourselves.
    GC Bulletin

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Another great article from Hoss.

Hopefully the players feel as inspired as I do now, and get out there and rip into the dogs, Prince or no Prince.

any word on walker?

Half Time: Titans 6 Bulldogs 24

Some very poor defensive efforts there. Hopefully Carty can convince them to maintain a straight line of defence. Their one out defensive runs are opening up too many holes.

Great work from Bailey with his late try.

I think Walker should be playing full back in defence rather than Preston. Preston hasn't seemed too interested in trying to make the try saving tackles.

Bugger...........too many missed tackles...couldn't get momentum at all.....

Another great game from Bailey

Some stupid penalties to give away any hope we had of a roll.....

Some defence......appalling......Gilly will kill them at training..

hang in there guys........

Junior Titan

Hey everyone,

I don't think that the Titans played that badly considering the talent that was sitting on the sidelines - I thought that Walker should have started at the back from the kick-off, so as Preston could move into the halves to help out poor Lewis.

Bailey was once again an inspiration, but even though the 'Dogs scored six tries, I beleive that the Titans have too many defensive players, and not enough try creators. Delaney and Graham don't offer that much in attack for mine, but I guess 'Carty' is just biding his time until Mat returns.

Anyway, here is my match report of anyone is interested -

http://www.league.net.au/bulldogs-thrash-titans/

Cheers,

Parra Petty

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

I think weve done exceptionally well this year, considering:
    1.Injuries
    2.New team

Hopefully next year,with 12 months of playing together,depth in the forwards and injury free we can really shake the comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Parra Petty View Post
    Hey everyone,

[COLOR=#000000]I don't think that the Titans played that badly considering the talent that was sitting on the sidelines

I beleive that the Titans have too many defensive players, and not enough try creators.
    http://www.league.net.au/bulldogs-thrash-titans/

Cheers,

Parra Petty
    Hmmm

That doesnt make sence to me, are we too defensive, did we get thrashed, did we play well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I am not happy about another flogging.

I dont care who we send out there we shouldnt be defensivly weak.

There is not one tackle a game we dominate imo, we are constantly pushed over, forever being penalised for holding becuase we have let them land on the belly. and always on the back foot.

There has to be a time in a young clubs life that they say we are not going to be pushed around any more. And if it doesnt come in the next 6 weeks, then we can settle back and kiss 2008 good bye also.

Teams come to play us with the mentality of smashing us, look at SBW tonight, and the half time game plan from Folkes.

We are the softest team in the comp, and there is no reason for it.

I can handle losing a game, i just hate being man handled by a bunch of 18 year old kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Way too many stupid mistakes. Very disappointing.
    I thought Preston started well, but then seemed to get a bit quieter. I really don't think he's 100% fit. He made a couple great tackles, but didn't even try on Patten. He'll normally throw himself infront of anyone, which is why I think there's a problem.

Bailey put in a real captain's knock, but as hard as he tried, couldn't do it all himself, especially with the guys out wide doing their best to open up the try line for the dogs.

i thought preston was doing good as welll in the begining

i miss the team that won 4 in a row

the finals are slipping further and further away

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post

That doesnt make sence to me, are we too defensive, did we get thrashed, did we play well?

Hey Coaster,

The Titans dominated possession for the opening twenty minutes of the game, but could not coem up with tries due to al ack of options in attack - had Rogers or Prince been there than tries probably would have resulted.

If the Titans convert their chances into points by having centres that can create tries or score them, than they tke an early lead, and thus have the Bulldogs (who I beleive weren't a 24 point better side on the night) chasing points.

Simple mistakes cost the Titans the game, but also their inability to convert pressure into points through a lack of craetivity cost them.

Cheers,

Parra Petty

How great was Bailey. I was on NRL Live watching the stats and figures go though and look at his hit-ups, tackle count and all! Lead by example...

Didn't hear how Walker went on his return. Can anyone enlighten me?