Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lockyer out for the Season

Lockyer out for the Season

July 14, 2007

BRISBANE has sustained a devastating blow to its NRL premiership defence with skipper Darren Lockyer ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Scans confirmed the champion five-eighth ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in the Broncos' 24-16 win over North Queensland on Friday night and will require a knee reconstruction.

He is likely to have the operation in about a week and will require a six- to nine-month rehabilitation period, which should allow him back in time to start the 2008 NRL season.

Lockyer said he was disappointed at the outcome, the first serious knee injury in the 30-year-old's career.

"I am disappointed but I can't do anything about it," said Lockyer.

"Sometimes things like this happen. I have seen a lot of my mates have to go through things like this.

"It is going to be a whole new challenge for me, but what is done is done.

"Personally I have moved on and am thinking about being back playing for the Broncos in 2008."

The injury is a potentially crippling blow to the Broncos in their bid for back-to-back premierships.

Brisbane had only just kick-started its 2007 campaign after an inconsistent start to the season.

Two months ago, the Broncos were tied for last on the ladder but, after five straight wins, are now knocking on the door of the top four.

Their pivot had been at his scheming best in the first-half ambush of the Cowboys on Friday night.

He laid on one try with a deft pass to a flying Dane Carlaw, then busted through the home side's defence to put Karmichael Hunt under the posts.

There was confusion as to exactly how Lockyer suffered the injury in the second half.

He first went to ground with no one around him in the 67th minute, before coming off the field after again slumping to the turf five minutes from full-time.

AAP

Bye Bye Broncos

If Panthers weren't so crap I'd bother looking at the odds the Broncos are paying for the spoon. I guess its still mathematically possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

There is no way Broncos could get spoon from here lol!

Anyway, MAASSSSSIVVVVEEEEEE blow for them. They will still be able to string some wins together to make the top 8 but they wont be in the Top 4 imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    There is no way Broncos could get spoon from here lol!
    They're only 10 points from the bottom with 7 matches remaining. No Hodges, Tate, Lockyer.

Their run home is:

Parra (H)
    Sharks (H)
    Manly (H)
    Storm (A)
    Bulldogs (H)
    Raiders (H)
    Parra (A)

The ones in bold they could pull off. The rest will be tough. The amount of home games they have could help. But like I said, Penrith are too rubbish to win enough of the remaining games to even create some doubt over the spooners.

Broncos will not play finals footy this year.

Hunt to 5/8?

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    They're only 10 points from the bottom with 7 matches remaining. No Hodges, Tate, Lockyer.

Their run home is:

Parra (H)
    Sharks (H)
    Manly (H)
    Storm (A)
    Bulldogs (H)
    Raiders (H)
    Parra (A)

The ones in bold they could pull off. The rest will be tough. The amount of home games they have could help. But like I said, Penrith are too rubbish to win enough of the remaining games to even create some doubt over the spooners.

Broncos will not play finals footy this year.
    Nothing is impossible.. remember when Elliott produced 3 wins from his last 15 to almost give Canberra the spoon in 05.. If it wasn't for the Knights and Joey being out for so long we would have got it too.. We only missed the 8 by 6 points as well..

Then again Penrith are diabolical.

As I typed all that, and read Schifty's Penrith bash, they're now running riot over the Dogs. haha I'd love Broncos to go from premiers to spooners. C'MON THE PANTHERS!!

I'd love Broncos to go from premiers to spooners.
    Even without Lockyer, some how I don't think this will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    Even without Lockyer, some how I don't think this will happen.
    Its a long shot but while its still mathematically possible, I can dream

Titan One Clubman

As I typed all that, and read Schifty's Penrith bash, they're now running riot over the Dogs. haha I'd love Broncos to go from premiers to spooners. C'MON THE PANTHERS!!
    They ran over a side minus SBW and Shrek.

then the second half the Dogs had no Mason and ended up with a 1 man bench. I'll still maintain my Penrith bashing for a while yet.

A big blow.... wish it could have happened a week earlier..... he's gone anyway.

Broncos and spoon are two words that don't deserve to be put in the same sentence.

Lockyer is a huge loss (mainly because he is one of the best players in the world!) with his speech to the team a just over a month ago has turning this from pretender's to contenders. The Broncos are playing their best footy now, whilst losing Lockyer is a setback, I am sure the Broncos will be in the finals.

Junior Titan

Possible Lineup
    1. Denan Kemp
    2. Steve Michaels
    3. Darius Boyd
    4. David Stagg
    5. Craig Frawley
    6. Karmichael Hunt
    7. Michael Ennis
    8. Ben Hannant
    9. Shaun Berrigan
    10 Petro Civenoceiva
    11. Corey Parker
    12. Dane Carlaw
    13. Tonie Carroll
    Interchange
    14.Greg Eastwood
    15. Dave Taylor
    16. Brad Thorn
    17. Ian Lacey

I think Ian Lacey would be a good choice on the bench so he can fit into scrum half and berrigan can play anywhere else if needed.
    "Go the Titans"

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    Broncos and spoon are two words that don't deserve to be put in the same sentence.

Lockyer is a huge loss (mainly because he is one of the best players in the world!) with his speech to the team a just over a month ago has turning this from pretender's to contenders. The Broncos are playing their best footy now, whilst losing Lockyer is a setback, I am sure the Broncos will be in the finals.
    Joey Johns for Newcastle was the best player in the (world!) now lets see how the Boncos go without there play maker
    If you were a Dragon supporter you would know what it like to have a team of nobodies nearly every week for the last couple of years. Count yourself lucky you still have half the State of Origin side in you team. :duh: