Default NRL: St George to unload Matt Head to Melbourne? Impact on Titans?

NRL: NRL: St George to unload Matt Head to Melbourne? Impact on Titans?

I heard today at my favourite cafe that the Dragons may be looking to unload Matt Head to the Melbourne Storm if they are forced to keep Lance Thompson. I am sure Melbourne would be over the moon to get a player the calibre of Matt Head given they are losing Matt Orford.

Matt Head as you know done his knee last season where Ben Hornby filled in as if he had played halfback all of his career.

Clinton Greenshields signed a one year deal with the Dragons and is a more than capable replacement for Hornby as he showed in 2005 which is good and bad news for the Titans.

Good news? Yes, we get to see perhaps a full season of Greenshields which leaves him in a great position for 2007 IF we can sign him. Another year under his belt in the top grade will do wonders for his confidence.

Bad news? Another solid season will ensure there is plenty of interest in him which makes our chance to sign him alot harder.

DeeGan

Personally, I feel that we HAVE to keep Matthew Head, at just about all costs.

Titan CEO

yeah i read this in the sunday telegraph this morning...i was happy at first but then that means cronk wont get a go. And i think cronk has alot of potential and im really looking forward to seeing how he goes. Good news but we will see what happens.

super cronk, I have to ask a Melbourne fan (who just so happens to be a Cronk fan ), do you think Cooper Cronk is up week in week out NRL rugby level at halfback?

I agree, the potential is apparent, though would that potential be enough to convince Bellamy Matt Head (with one questionable knee) is not needed?

Look forward to your reply.

DeeGan

As a Dragon fan I am in two minds. Hornby and Greensheilds both did extremely well and freeing up Head would give us salary cap room. Having said that Head was awesome.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    super cronk, I have to ask a Melbourne fan (who just so happens to be a Cronk fan ), do you think Cooper Cronk is up week in week out NRL rugby level at halfback?

I agree, the potential is apparent, though would that potential be enough to convince Bellamy Matt Head (with one questionable knee) is not needed?

Look forward to your reply.

DeeGan
    From what i have seen of cronk at QLd cup level and 1st grade level i think he is capable of being up week in week out (mind you orford couldnt play more then 2 good games in a row) What i am impressed with is his kicking game...it was by far better then orfords in my UNBIASed opinion. He also has a good passing game esp short passing game close to the line, he runs the ball well and defence is very strong.

But for those doubting cronk and his inexperince(not saying you are deegan) i just have to remind you what tim smith has done in his debut year. Tim Smith had no prior 1st grade exeprince from what i know of, Cooper has had 15+ games of experince and has learnt a fair bit from orford. I dont think he will be a great halfback straight of the bat and i relise it may take time for him to adapt to a fulltime halfback spot, but im willing to give him a chance as i know bellamy is. Also the storm have got matty johns in to help cronk out.

I also wouldnt mind head at the club...he has plenty of experince and is a good solid player. So i dont know what bellamy will do....a very VERY hard choice IMO.

Junior Titan

Default i am not suprised

that rumour has been thrown around alot.. melbourne has placed alot of interest in matty head.... he is a star.....it is such a shame for the dragons... i would have loved to have seen him in action with the remaining 6 this year since they hit form.. esp with wes and colin best...... oh well as ned kelly said such is life....... :emp:

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    From what i have seen of cronk at QLd cup level and 1st grade level i think he is capable of being up week in week out (mind you orford couldnt play more then 2 good games in a row) What i am impressed with is his kicking game...it was by far better then orfords in my UNBIASed opinion. He also has a good passing game esp short passing game close to the line, he runs the ball well and defence is very strong.

But for those doubting cronk and his inexperince(not saying you are deegan) i just have to remind you what tim smith has done in his debut year. Tim Smith had no prior 1st grade exeprince from what i know of, Cooper has had 15+ games of experince and has learnt a fair bit from orford. I dont think he will be a great halfback straight of the bat and i relise it may take time for him to adapt to a fulltime halfback spot, but im willing to give him a chance as i know bellamy is. Also the storm have got matty johns in to help cronk out.

I also wouldnt mind head at the club...he has plenty of experince and is a good solid player. So i dont know what bellamy will do....a very VERY hard choice IMO.
    Cheers mate.

The only action I have seen of Cooper Cronk is his NRL games and he has potential written all over him and deserves a shot at securing the 7 jersey.

As for Matt Head, before the knee injury I would encouraged ANY club in the NRL to make a play for him, though after the injury, I am not so sure.

Any injury to knee is devastating to the professional athlete and we know how much extra work it takes to get the knee back to surviving the rigours of NRL rugby league.

Whoever has Matt Head on board for 2006 will need to be patient, he will not be firing until at least 10-12 weeks into the competition and that in itself is a prediction that could be way off.

IF I was Craig Bellamy, I would take the gamble on Cronk. He will have Scott Hill outside him (though poor injury record might suggest otherwise) and Cameron Smith delivering him the ball. If he is ready for the NRL as a halfback, the potential will take care of itself.

DeeGan

One of Slippery Steve Morris' sons, Brett Morris, is coming through the grades and is expected to be the next big thing at Fullback.

He played in the Dragons dominant Flegg side this year and was impressive all season.

He might see a little bit of first grade in '06, will most likely be the Dragons fullback in '07.

Still can't see us losing Head though.

If Head heads down to melbourne then st geogre dont have a good goal kicker. Ennis is gone and i dont trust the winger that kicks for the dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend
    If Head heads down to melbourne then st geogre dont have a good goal kicker. Ennis is gone and i dont trust the winger that kicks for the dragons.
    Wes Niaqama has the team record for most points scored in a match. he kicked 9/9 that day i think