Default Storm Brewing Over Dallas Johnson

STORM BREWING OVER DALLAS JOHNSON

July 5, 2007 - 7:59PM

Queensland called it courageous but Melbourne officials claim it was downright dangerous to send knocked out forward Dallas Johnson back into rugby league's toughest arena of State of Origin football.

Johnson has been ruled out indefinitely by his Melbourne NRL club after he was knocked senseless in the opening seconds of Wednesday night's Origin finale at Suncorp Stadium.

The lock was clearly still dazed when he returned after half-time to make 26 tackles as injury-ravaged Queensland lost 18-4 to NSW but still claimed the series 2-1.

The dead-rubber ended with a massive casualty list headed by Brisbane's Brent Tate (knee, season), Cronulla's Brett Kimmorley (knee, 4-6 weeks) and Melbourne's Greg Inglis (knee, awaiting results).

Melbourne officials are fuming over the treatment of Johnson and have issued a `please explain' to the Queensland doctors who gave him permission to re-enter the field of play.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron says Johnson should have been sent to hospital while Queensland and Melbourne teammate Greg Inglis also believes the lock was unfit to continue playing.

"We will be asking for an explanation from the Queensland Rugby League to determine that the correct duty of care was taken with the player," Waldron told AAP.

"If it had of been a boxing match he would have been put on a stretcher and taken to hospital for observation.

"After what was displayed publicly it was clear to all and sundry that he was clearly out (unconscious) for a sustained period.

"Dallas wanted to go back on but of course he's going to want to go back on, that is his personality. But whether that was the right thing I don't know.

"Given he is our player and we employ him I think we have a right to ask the questions when people borrow him on occasion.

"Whether he was playing for Australia or playing for Queensland or playing for Melbourne Storm or anyone there is a duty of care.

"I'm presuming everything was safe but we have an obligation to him, his family and club to ask the question."

Inglis, also hurt with a knee injury that will keep him out of this Saturday's clash with South Sydney at least, said Johnson should not have returned to the field.

Inglis was in the dressing sheds with Johnson during the first half and said it was clear the 25-year-old was heavily concussed.

"Me personally, I don't think he should have gone back on," said Inglis.

"It was a pretty heavy concussion and I was in the sheds with him when I came off and he's one of those people where it's pretty hard to convince him to stay off.

"You can tell he was really concussed. But like I say, he's a tough bloke and he's got to deal with it."

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy weighed into the debate, questioning whether Queensland would have sent Johnson back into battle if he was a family member.

"I'm no doctor so I'm not going to be too critical but at the end of the day I think the people that made that decision, they should be asking themselves if Dallas was their son would they have put him back on," Bellamy said.

"With head injuries, that's the sort of questions you've got to ask yourself.

"The way he collapsed to the ground there in that first minute looked quite ugly to me.

"I think when he went to the bench he nearly fell off the chair again."

Queensland doctor Roy Saunders told reporters after the game it was a tough decision to let Johnson play.

"It's always a very uncomfortable feeling and always a very difficult decision," said Saunders.

However, Queensland legends have praised the courage of Johnson, led by former hardman Chris Close.

"They nearly had to get a security guard to drag him off the field he didn't want to go," joked Close.

"Somewhere in the back of his mind he knew how important it was.

"When you're knocked senseless and you've still got that courage to want to be there ... that is Queensland and will always be Queensland."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

he still got 30 tackles under his belt even though he was knocked out which was great and he looked fine.

What the Storm are saying has merit, it is very dangerous to send someone back onto the field with possible concussion. That fact was constantly on my mind, I was concerned for him.

I am sure they did as much as possible to determine that Dallas was well enough to compete before putting him back onto the field.

You have to wonder, if we didn't have Dallas come back on, it would have been even worse for the Maroons!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

dallas johnson is the mannnn,,,stop *****ing melbourne he played awsome,,,watchin him keep tackling and tackling and that concussion made me soooo proud to be a queenslader

It may have made you proud Tom... but it was very dangerous.. and as much as I applaud Dallas' courage and guts to do it and go out there and help his team... to some extent I can totally understand where Melbourne is coming from.

Imagine if something else had gone wrong... then it would have been even worse.. a person who is concussed should not do anything as if they blackout that could cause severe consquences... but I am sure the QLD Medical staff made sure that every precaution was made to ensure that did not happen.

But I can totally understand where Melbourne are coming from... I would be worried too if I was a CEO of a club and my player was being run out for a match heavily concussed and not sure where he is.

Thats right TJ
    Imagine if something else had gone wrong... then it would have been even worse.. a person who is concussed should not do anything as if they blackout that could cause severe consquences.
    My husband was playing at Moore Park (Sydney) and was concussed, from a heavy knock...He walked from Moore Park to Randwick, and doesn't remember a thing about his journey home....This is a very serious Problem.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

I can see where the Storm are coming from and there are two sides in the argument.