Titan CEO

Default King to leave the Storm?

His focus remains State of Origin III, but NSW winger Matt King will use his week in camp with the Blues to make what he describes as "the biggest decision of my life".

King is weighing up his rugby league future with offers on the table from both Melbourne and two English Super League clubs, believed to be Wigan and Bradford.

The 26-year-old has been given a two week extension by all parties involved and hopes to make a decision in the days before or just after the Storm's clash with South Sydney on Saturday week.

"These two weeks, even though my focus might be on Origin, it will give me some time away from Melbourne, time away from a lot of things to clear my head and have real good think about it," King told AAP.

"The biggest thing in my footy career at the moment is game three on Wednesday night so I'll get through that and let everyone know pretty soon after that what's going on.

"I've got an inkling of what I want to do ... but it's the biggest decision of my life.

"I've been playing my cards pretty close to my chest for a long time now and I just have to weigh up a lot of things."

King has stated on many occasions that his first preference would be to remain in Melbourne, but he also knows he has to do the right thing financially.

He was somewhat of a late bloomer, spending his early years battling away in reserve grade at North Sydney and Cronulla.

He was even forced to supplement his football income with a job as a garbo and only became a regular first grader at the Storm in 2005.

The inauspicious start to his career means King has never been one of the game's bigger earners, which makes his next contract all the more important.

But for King, who quit football in 2002 citing a lack of interest, money is not the be all and end all.

"I'm not an out and out footballer and I realise that happiness is a pretty big part of life," he said.

"I'm pretty happy in Melbourne and if I'm going to be there after footy I might be stupid to move away."

Another issue tugging at King's heartstrings is representative football.

In the prime of his career, King knows if he moves to the UK his days in the sky blue of NSW and the green and gold of Australia would be over.

That would mean Wednesday night's Suncorp Stadium dead rubber would be King's Origin farewell.

"As soon as the English offers came up, I knew straight away that would be the end of Australia and NSW," King said.

"It was always going to play a part in my decision process but it was never going to be the deciding factor.

"It means a lot to me playing for the Blues and the Kangaroos, if this was to be my last game I would cherish it.

"But in saying that I love Melbourne and I could easily sign down there next year and hopefully it won't be my last Origin game."
    NRL.com

Weighing up between the Storm and two English clubs? Seems a no brainer to me. Go to England if you want the money Kingy, we wont have any trouble replacing you. I hope he stays coz he is a good player and a top bloke but he will ruin his career by going over there.

Hope he goes dont like him.

Same here, and he can take his cheap shots with him.

totally agree. even if i do support NSW I hate King and I hope he leaves and never comes back. :woot:

If it means he will no longer be on the NSW wing...then he has lost all interest from me...as a Queensland supporter. :woot:

GO THE MAROONS!

QLD Cup Titan

I can only say that when Mat King played those half a dozen games for Norths Devils a couple of years ago he seemed one of the happy go luckiest blokes you could imagine - always had a big grin. And he was well liked also apparently.

I think he's unluck that he has been picked out of position in this years' Origin Series, he's a centre not wing and playing against Greg Inglis who is one of the most gifted athletes in the game.
    By the by I think Greg Inglis is played out of position at wing (& 5/8 for storm)- because he's a better fullback or centre (fortunately for Greg he's that good he plays wing brilliantly anyway!)

I'm glad NSW are losing him because he's not that old and if he actually got picked as a centre instead of Lyons (or Gaz when he's available!), it would be tougher for Qld.

Heard a rumour from a mate of mine back in London that he will sign for Quins!! Very pleased if he does,although it would be a massive shock as Wigan,Leeds and a couple of the other big clubs are chasing him.
    We had his brother Andrew King play a couple of seasons with us and Matts old Melbourne team mate Scott Hill is there,plus another one of our old players is back at Storm now in some capacity,Danny Williams.Maybe we have pulled off a shock signing,will believe it when i see it though!:eyebrow:

Junior Titan

who gives a sh!t about the super league....

Quote Originally Posted by Titanz01 View Post
    Matt King??

European RL fans?
    The numerous Australian players playing over there?

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Sucked in Melbourne..

QLD Cup Titan

I watch it on Fox as it's of good quality just as I watch NRL----I've never made any secret that I don't give too much of a sh!t about the Sydney based comp as it's not my first love but I still watch most games (Super Saturday with a few beers -terrific!)and same with Super League!

Enjoy your footy locally !

Junior Titan

600 k a year i think he's being offered
    "Go the Titans"