12. Glen Turner,
    13. Alan Tongue (c).

Subs:

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe,
    15. Dane Tilse,
    16. Marshall Chalk,
    17. Michael Weyman,
    18. Joe Picker ,
    19. Trevor Thurling (two to be omitted).

probably one of canberra's stongest line up's with tongue and graham back

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

No campese though even on the bench is a bit suprising.

PHP Code:
    prob jsut get hilder bak to 5/8?
    prob be obvisous one i would think 
    Sounds the obvious to me, seeing he didn't do that bad at 5/8 and they trained him for that position, pre season and he played about 10 games, I thought he went Ok. There's a lot of running defensive 5/8's doing well at the moment. Bird, Smithy Cowboys! Could work well with Lewis who is more kicking 5/8.

Raiders v Titans preview

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:14 AM

You?d think it was crunch time for the Raiders; if not it can?t be far away.

While the Titans are still clinging to eighth spot on the NRL ladder, Canberra enter this match in 14th, four points adrift of the top eight with a woeful points differential (-79) due mainly to four straight losses, the last a 58-16 humiliation at the hands of 2007 strugglers St George Illawarra.

It was Canberra?s seventh biggest ever defeat as they missed a mammoth 65 tackles and produced 46 ineffective tackles ? early casualty Scott Logan was the only Raider not to miss a tackle in the match.

It didn?t get any better in attack as they became the first team this year not to have a single player make over 100 metres, with interchange forward Trevor Thurling the best with 98.

Only four Raiders average over 100 metres this year: fullback William Zillman (139m), centre Colin Best (105m), and forwards Neville Costigan (104m) and Logan (100m).

The Titans have five players who average above the ton (Luke Bailey 154m, Ian Donnelly 127m, Anthony Laffranchi 127m, Michael Henderson 107m and Chris Walker 102m) but only Bailey and Donnelly are part of this weekend?s team.

Neil Henry?s mob need to get things back on track fast or face oblivion as the rounds continue to count down towards the finals.

The green machine is hopeful of having inspirational leader Alan Tongue back from a knee injury, and they may well need him, while they?ll also welcome back try scoring ace Phil Graham who was has had 10 weeks off with a knee injury suffered in the City-Country game.

Michael Dobson has also earned a recall from Premier League to once again team up with Todd Carney in the halves.

Injuries are doing their best to conspire against the NRL?s newest team ? with the Titans losing Michael Hodgson (knee), James Stosic (knee) and Clint Amos (concussion) to their already full casualty ward following their golden point loss to the Broncos and although named, halfback Scott Prince is still in some doubt following a big knock to his collarbone.

The pull-outs give Gavin Cooper the chance to start while Daniel Conn, David Myles and Matt Hilder come onto the Gold Coast bench.

Watch out Raiders: Titans co-captain and prop Luke Bailey loves a challenge and the extensive injury list to his side provides just that.

Backing up from Origin Bailey produced 22 runs for 182 metres and added 34 tackles against the Broncos.

His dedication inspired Mark Minichiello to 23 runs for 190 metres, 27 tackles and 14 tackle breaks while Nathan Friend became only the eighth player this year to make over 50 tackles with 54.

Bailey is one ?Bull? who won?t lie down and the Raiders will need to be wary of his wrath.

Watch out Titans: The Canberra side can get physical when they want to, having rattled off 374 dominant tackles (2nd in the NRL) compared to the last-ranked Titans who have 269 to their name.

The Raiders also lead the league in ?big? tackles with 83 compared to a paltry 16 (15th) for the Titans.

If Prince plays, expect the Canberra forwards to do their best to let him know he?s in a contest.

Where it will be won: It quite simply comes down to how well the home side defends.

The Raiders are able to score points;, they are actually ranked eighth in the league in this area ? but they have real problems stopping others score more. Only the Roosters have had more points put past them in 2007 and until this can be rectified, talk of the finals is premature.

The under-strength Titans are the perfect team for the Raiders to muscle up against.

They are heavily reliant on Scott Prince who leads the NRL with 21 try assists so if they bash him with heavy defence in a week when he may be fragile they could go a long way to stopping the Titans? attack.

The Raiders have more line breaks (74 to 58) and have scored more tries (61 to 52) than their opponents so they certainly have the strike power to win the game. But their right-side defence has become one of the NRL?s biggest target areas, now having conceded a massive 35 tries.

The History: Played 1; Raiders 0, Titans 1. The only match-up between the two teams was in round 12 earlier this year where the Titans got away with a 28-8 victory at Carrara Stadium.

Conclusion: The Raiders will be desperate and this game at home against under-strength opposition couldn?t have come at a better time for them.

A loss will make their run home to a possible finals berth very difficult with Melbourne in Melbourne their next assignment.

For the Titans this represents a true test of character.

Their backs are against the wall but a win will give them an incredible boost to their own finals dream.

Match officials: Referee ? Paul Simpkins; Sideline Officials ? Jason Walsh & Allen Foster; Video ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Foxsports 3 ? Live 2pm

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Junior

At least we have a decent ref!!!! lol. We are in with a good chance.
    GO TITANS !!!!! GO TITANS !!!!!!!
    :test: :test:

Cartwright says semis start now

Adam Gardini

11Jul07

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright has declared his side will be treating their eight remaining matches like semi-finals as the Titans fight to keep their playoffs dream alive.

Starting with Sunday's road trip to the nation's capital to take on Canberra, the eighth-placed Titans will play the majority of their remaining matches away from home and against sides equally as desperate to salvage their finals ambitions.

As the mad scramble for finals spots begins over the last two months of the competition, Cartwright said yesterday the Titans' destiny was in their own hands.

In order to qualify for the finals, the Titans need to record at least four wins from their remaining matches against Canberra (away), Bulldogs (home), Rabbitohs (away), Wests Tigers (home), Warriors (away), Roosters (home), Sharks (away) and Storm (away).

"They're all real semi-final type games leading into the real semis," said Cartwright.

"We're playing a lot of sides that we're jostling for positions with on the table as well.

"That can be a good and a bad thing but we'd like to think of it as a good thing.

"If we can go down there (to Canberra) and take the two points away we can probably put the nail in Canberra's season.

"If we can beat them this week then that's one less club we've got to worry about, so that's a start."

The Titans will head to Canberra on Friday, giving them two days to adjust to the near-freezing conditions.

The early trip down mirrors the Titans' away preparation against the West Tigers in round 14, a match they went on to win at the notoriously tough Campbelltown after previously losing four from five on the road.

It is a formula the Titans hope will work well for them again when they run out at Canberra Stadium.

"It'll be a tough trip down there, they've got a pretty good record at home and they'll be desperate," said Cartwright.

"We have to depart out of Brisbane as well so we are getting down there a day earlier to adjust to the conditions and get over the travel.

"They are never easy in Canberra.

"They are a totally different side when they play down there."
    GOLD COAST BULLETIN

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

We just got away with a 28-8 victory

whoever wrote doesn't know the awesome side that is the Titans.

Bring on the snow Raiders you will need it.

Gold Coast coming you teach you who is the real capital of Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by jenny View Post
    [B][B]
    "If we can go down there (to Canberra) and take the two points away we can probably put the nail in Canberra's season.

"If we can beat them this week then that's one less club we've got to worry about, so that's a start."
    I love Carty's thinking going into this game...I can't wait for Sunday afternoon to arrive.

Canberra have a good side named with Carney slotting back to the 5/8 position where he is suited.

Come on big Donnelly...you've been great for us so far...we need a big one from you this weekend!

myles is on the titans site as a 5/8
    we will see him in there? who is 18th man?

Man carty is doing a great job as a coach, not only is he a new coach putting together a new side, hes doing a great job of sticking up for his players

Prince in limbo on Canberra raid

GOLD Coast linchpin Scott Prince returned to training for the first time yesterday but is still no closer to knowing if he will recover from his collarbone injury in time to take on the Raiders on Sunday.

Running kicking drills with Titans football manager Scott Sattler and then later with teammates, Prince avoided contact and stood on the sideline as the team ran attacking plays.

Prince, who was taken to hospital as a precaution after being injured during the Titans 19-18 golden point loss to the Broncos on Friday, will travel with the team to Canberra today.

Prince, Titans coach John Cartwright and team doctor Paul Ohmsen will decide if he will play following their final training run in the nation's capital tomorrow.

"At the moment (the injury) is still sore and I am getting physio treatment every day," said Prince.

"I have still got a few more days to recover from it but it is looking all right so far.

"I will know a lot more on Saturday after we train down in Canberra."

When Prince was flattened by teenage Broncos prop David Taylor in a forceful kick charge-down in the dying minutes of the game, initial fears put him out for the season with a broken collarbone.

Scans cleared Prince of a break but revealed damage to his sternoclavicular joint (where the collarbone meets the sternum).

"It is definitely an injury you can play with but it is pretty uncomfortable in certain movements with the arm," said Prince. "It obviously depends on things like being able to take a hit from passing or running with the ball or even tackling somebody.

"At the end of the day from a medical point of view the doc will have some advice for me and then I guess for the coach and myself, all three of us will sit down and decide what is the right thing to do for me long term.

"But if I can't do any more damage to it and it is feeling all right and I can play with the uncomfortable feeling that you get from it then I should be right to go around.

"But we will have to wait and see."

Should Prince fail the fitness test, pivot Josh Lewis will move to halfback while Preston Campbell will shift from fullback to five-eighth.

Rookie winger Smith Samau will most likely go to fullback with Kiwi international Jake Webster returning from a shoulder injury to take his place on the wing.

"They are more than capable," said Prince.

"Whoever steps up to the halfback position will do a fine job and I have got all the faith in the world in them."

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Like a Bull at a gate

TITANS hardmen Luke Bailey and Ian Donnelly have promised to stand and deliver in the Gold Coast's time of need when they go head-to-head with a hulking Raiders forward pack in Canberra on Sunday.

The props yesterday vowed to lead from the front against a desperate Canberra side who have lost their past five games and need to win in order to keep their finals dream alive.

The last time they clashed in round 12, a match the Titans won 28-8, Bailey rated the Raiders pack as 'awesome' and was quoted as saying 'they've got some big mongrels in there'.

"Going down there it will be (a massive test), especially going to the freezing cold from the beautiful weather up here," said Bailey.

"I was rapt with what I saw from our guys against the Broncos last week.

"The Broncos are a pretty big pack and even though they had a couple of blokes missing they were still a world-class forward pack.

"I thought we matched them up for 81 minutes.

"I think the boys can do the same this week.

"Not only have we got some size we have got agility, so hopefully we can make those blokes tired a bit.

"If we hold on to the ball and control it we can move them around and do what we want to do and play through them."

The Raiders huge pack boasts the likes of Troy Thompson (105kg), Scott Logan (109kg), Dane Tilse (112kg), Michael Weyman (113kg), Glen Turner (100kg) and Nigel Plum (99kg).

The injury-ravaged Titans will field one of their smallest packs all year, after injuries to forwards James Stosic (knee) and Michael Hodgson (knee).

The Titans will head into the Canberra clash with no recognised props on their bench, with Matt Hilder, Kris Kahler, utility David Myles and rookie Daniel Conn all more at home in the backrow.

"Everyone rates us as one of the smallest packs in the comp but I think we showed against the Warriors and the Broncos that we can handle big packs," said Donnelly.

"Canberra are definitely a big side.

"They have got the likes of Dane Tilse and Michael Weyman who are big boys.

"But as a team I believe we can go forward, with Bull (Bailey) and me leading the boys from the front."

Donnelly said he was expecting a forward orientated battle with or without halfback Scott Prince, who faces a race against time to prove his fitness from a collarbone injury.

"Down in Canberra it is normally a bit dewy on the ground so you normally play a lot down the middle, you don't really go to the edges," he said. "We're expecting a lot of bodies down the middle of the ruck."

After two consecutive losses, the gloss has started to fade on the Titans exciting run home, with the Gold Coast needing to win four of their remaining eight games to stand a real chance of finishing in the top eight.

But Bailey remains confident the Titans will qualify for the playoffs and get their season back on track with a victory over Canberra.

"We were gone from the start of the year from most peoples point of view," said Bailey.

"I think we are going to go all right.

"If Princey misses this week he will be playing next week and we have got Boof (Anthony Laffranchi) and Matty Rogers coming back soon (from knee injuries).

"So if we can hang in there and win two or three games between now and then I have got no doubt at all in my mind that we can still finish well and finish in the top eight."

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

got to agree with the bull, canberra have some big boppers maybe we can move them around the field a bit to tire them out, interesting reading where samau will play fullback, i think its a great move he looks like he needs the open spaces and i think this will be great for the team

Quote Originally Posted by Late Mail from LeagueHQ.com
    Titans halfback Scott Prince is expected to play against Canberra on Sunday despite his potentially serious collarbone injury last Friday night against Brisbane.
    He took part in kicking practice yesterday, and while he is "not out of the woods yet", according to football manager Scott Sattler, he is still confident the co-captain will play. Jake Webster will travel with the team as a shadow player.
    Canberra are expected to be as named.