Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Prince hurt in thrilling loss to Broncos

July 6, 2007 - 11:09PM

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has called for urgent changes to protect kickers after star Gold Coast halfback Scott Prince was rushed to hospital after being injured in Brisbane's thrilling 19-18 golden-point win.

The victory came at a high price for Brisbane who have lost centre Justin Hodges (hamstring) for four to six weeks while Titans forward Michael Hodgson (knee) is gone for the season and James Stosic has torn his medial ligament.

Prince, crunched in a tackle late in the game after making a kick, was put on a drip and transported by ambulance as concerns grew for his health.

Unconfirmed reports said Prince's collarbone in his left shoulder may have broken and gone into his airway.

Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer kicked a spectacular field goal in the first minute of golden point which bounced off both uprights to snatch a 19-18 win in front of a massive crowd of more than 48,000.

Minutes before Lockyer's match-winner - his 16th field goal in his record equalling 274th premiership game - Prince was assisted from the field in agony.

Titans coach John Cartwright was concerned about Prince's health but did not want to speculate on how serious his injury may be.

He said he knew Prince had injured his collarbone and that there was a complication that it could have been putting pressure on his sternum or spine.

Bennett, who lured Prince from North Queensland to Brisbane where he suffered three serious leg injuries before going to the Tigers, called on officials to immediately introduce a "no contact" rule to safe-guard kickers from serious injury.

Cronulla halfback Brett Kimmorley is facing a long stint on the sidelines after being injured in Wednesday night's State of Origin when brought down by Queensland forward Steve Price.

While Bennett didn't see the incident which led to Prince being hurt, he said it was high time kickers were better looked after.

"The game doesn't protect the kickers enough," said Bennett.

"I get sick of seeing him (Darren Lockyer) getting knocked over week after week and the game has to do something about it.

"There has to be better protection for the kickers.

"My heart goes in my throat every time I see him kick and someone comes through late and I believe they deserve protection.

"It's up the game to say 'hey, this is not going to be acceptable' and I don't think contact after the kick has gone is acceptable.

"I don't believe in any shape, whether it's your legs or your head or whatever, it doesn't matter.

"That's their most vulnerable time and they need to be protected.

Teenage forward Dave Taylor, making his fifth appearance for the club, saved the game when he dived over off a Michael Ennis pass in the 78th minute but his victory salute in the air did not impress Bennett.

"Yeah, we're going to talk about that, me and Dave," said a stern-faced Bennett.

"And I'm going to do all the talking.

"The last thing we need is an 18 year-old lair on our hands."

Lockyer was relieved his match-winner fell over the cross bar.

The captain admitted he was feeling guilty after one of his penalty kicks failed to find touch.

"That woke them up and they scored two tries," said Lockyer.

"I started to kick off to the right, there was a bit of luck," he said.

Cartwright said his players were "shattered" after the loss.

"They're not in there (dressing room) partying."
    Telegraph

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by jenny View Post
    Really?? poor buggar...
    Hehe its what you get when you put your head where others are scared to put there foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Was about to post that Jenny.. thanks for that...

Prince, crunched in a tackle late in the game after making a kick, was put on a drip and transported by ambulance as concerns grew for his health.

Unconfirmed reports said Prince's collarbone in his left shoulder may have broken and gone into his airway.
    Titans coach John Cartwright was concerned about Prince's health but did not want to speculate on how serious his injury may be.

He said he knew Prince had injured his collarbone and that there was a complication that it could have been putting pressure on his sternum or spine.

I now hope we are right and the unconfirmed reports are wrong, because if there is any ounce of truth to what is said here, which it sounds like it is...Scott might be in more trouble than just a stint out on the sidelines..

I hope Scott is ok and no matter what, that he recovers fully, I mean it will be bad if we lose him for the rest of the season, but his health should always come first, and he needs to recover fully for his future football career and life.

rkn he move campbell to halfback, or lewis to halfback with hilder number 6?

because if there is any ounce of truth to what is said here, which it sounds like it is...Scott might be in more trouble than just a stint out on the sidelines
    God i hope not!! We're all thinking and praying for him TJ.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Junior Titan

i passed on that u all said get well to scott

if u got get well messages 4 scott pm me with it

i will pass it on

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Message sent..Thanks jen.
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 07-07-07 at 12:00 AM.

Junior Titan

i just got it then thanks

i think players who actually hurt others should really stay around to see if there ok , i think they should worry more about the person who is hurt as its still another humen. when i saw that charge down those guys just p!ssed off , if it was me i would be around helping the poor buggar up

Junior Titan

i agree mate

Sigh.

Source: Channel 9 Friday Night Football

Ok Andrew Voss just commented on the match and some good news, if there is good news from an injury...

Scott Prince has dislocated his shoulder, he is in a lot of pain, they put him on the drip as a precaution, but he will be assessed tomorrow in full.

Lets hope there is no rib damage and it's only the shoulder.. and it's not in a dangerous position... all the best Scott.

and wen that happen i tore up my hat now its in pieces sniff

Junior Titan

he sure is in pain

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_BD1103 View Post
    Source: Channel 9 Friday Night Football

Ok Andrew Voss just commented on the match and some good news, if there is good news from an injury...

Scott Prince has dislocated his shoulder, he is in a lot of pain, they put him on the drip as a precaution, but he will be assessed tomorrow in full.

Lets hope there is no rib damage and it's only the shoulder.. and it's not in a dangerous position... all the best Scott.
    Poor Guy....yes defineately,,,,get well and rest well...what a player...gives it his all.
    Thanks TJ i have to go to bed...But i really wanted to hear some news on his injury. Alot of people are thinking of him.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY