Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Round 17: Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans

Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans
    Suncorp Stadium, Friday 6th July, 7:30PM

vs

Referee: Steve Clark

Team Notes:

Broncos
    WAYNE Bennett is banking on his seven Origin stars coming through tomorrow night’s third match to be ready for the Gold Coast Titans.

But Brad Thorn (pictured) has said if the Broncos’ young guys are called on again to play in the NRL, it would be ‘a pleasure’ to play with them.

Bennett today named his ‘magnificent seven’ in a 19-man squad to take on the south-east Queensland rivals at Suncorp Stadium on Friday.

Ian Lacey and Nick Kenny are the extra two men on the bench, but Kenny and David Taylor are also due to play tomorrow night.

Brent Tate is out of this match and possibly the season with suspected cruciate and medial ligament damage in his left knee after SOO3, replacement to be named in next few days.

Dane Carlaw is out of this match as well due to injury, with replacement to be named tomorrow.

Karmichael Hunt (corks) and Justin Hodges (ankle) are in extreme doubt.

Titans
    Luke Bailey returns for Origin duty at prop, with Stosic going back to a 5 man bench.

Luke Swain returns to Lock, with Hilder going to the bench and Hodgson dropped from the bench.

Mat Rogers has been ruled out of the game and the next 6 weeks after fracturing his knee in a training incident on Tuesday, he has been replaced by Luke O'Dwyer at centre.

The Titans beat the Broncos 28-16 in round five
    Teams:

1. Karmichael Hunt
    2. Steve Michaels
    3. Darius Boyd
    4. Justin Hodges
    5. TBA
    6. Darren Lockyer (c)
    7. Michael Ennis
    8. Ben Hannant
    9. Shaun Berrigan
    10. Petero Civoniceva
    11. David Stagg
    12. TBA
    13. Tonie Carroll

Interchange:

14. Greg Eastwood
    15. Corey Parker
    16. Brad Thorn
    17. Dave Taylor
    18. Ian Lacey
    19. Nick Kenny
    (two to be omitted)

1. Preston Campbell
    2. Matthew Petersen
    3. Luke O'Dwyer
    4. Brett Delaney
    5. Smith Samau
    6. Josh Lewis
    7. Scott Prince (c)
    8. Luke Bailey
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Ian Donnelly
    11. Michael Hodgson
    12. Mark Minichiello
    13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Matthew Hilder
    15. James Stosic
    16. Gavin Cooper
    17. Clint Amos
    18. Kris Kahler
    (one to be omitted)
    Last edited by Queenslander; 03-07-07 at 08:48 AM.

Big test ahead, Titans warned

By Steve Ricketts
    July 03, 2007

BRISBANE skipper Darren Lockyer says Gold Coast is about to face its acid test, with its ability to finish the season well to determine the fate of its inaugural NRL campaign.

Lockyer said his focus was on guiding Queensland to victory over New South Wales in tomorrow night's third Origin match at Suncorp Stadium, but he was also excited about the prospect of a second derby clash with the Titans at the same ground 48 hours later.

The Titans beat the Broncos 28-16 in round five, with the NRL newcomers shifting the game from their home base at Cararra to Brisbane.

The gamble paid a healthy dividend with a crowd of almost 50,000 for the inaugural southeast derby.

The Broncos are hoping for another 40,000-plus crowd on Friday night.

The Titans are sixth on the NRL ladder on 18 points, two points clear of Brisbane. But a fourth straight win from the Broncos would see them leapfrog the Titans thanks to a superior for-and-against record.

Lockyer said yesterday the Titans had done extremely well in their first season but he had some reservations about their ability to maintain momentum.

"I think the competition being so close ... yeah they've done well," Lockyer said.

"I guess with a new team and the fact with the salary cap now - players change clubs all the time -- everyone at the start of every season has to start afresh with their players. The Titans have come into the competition and done extremely well but I guess the back end of the season will give them a gauge on how their first season really went."

Lockyer said the Broncos could not afford to relax despite winning four from six matches since the Origin series started.

The Titans received some positive news yesterday with star centre Mat Rogers avoiding suspension for a high shot.

The Courier Mail

I really hope we take it right up to the Broncos.

In reality, though, after the last game at Suncorp where they were made to bus it to the ground, use the away sheds, and then to get beaten to the bargain, they are going to spank us big-time.

The Broncos are on a roll, have a full strength team and are hopefully coming off a SOO win. If they beat us, they leap-frog into fifth or sixth spot.

What more motivation do the Broncos need.

Then again, St George did beat Manly last week. Where there's hope, there's a chance.:woot:

I honestly see the Titans as favourites. Before the Warriors game, they were on a roll, and they can easily play better than that. The Broncos barely beat the last placed team on the table. They aren't back and blazing like the media has been making out. Titans 1-12 in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    I honestly see the Titans as favourites. Before the Warriors game, they were on a roll, and they can easily play better than that. The Broncos barely beat the last placed team on the table. They aren't back and blazing like the media has been making out. Titans 1-12 in this one.
    Wish I could be that confident.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    Wish I could be that confident.

i wish i could be to, i think this will i am sorry to say it our first big loss, i hope i am wrong but the broncos are going to be tough and with laffaranchi out gee its going to be hard bronco's by 30 sorry

Gold Coast Titans

1. Preston Campbell,
    2. Matthew Petersen,
    3. Luke O'Dwyer,
    4. Brett Delaney,
    5. Smith Samau,
    6. Josh Lewis,
    7. Scott Prince (c),
    8. Luke Bailey,
    9. Nathan Friend,
    10. Ian Donnelly,
    11. Michael Hodgson,
    12. Mark Minichiello,
    13. Luke Swain.

Subs:

14. Matthew Hilder,
    15. James Stosic,
    16. Gavin Cooper,

17. Clint Amos,
    18. Kris Kahler (one to be omitted).

Still no Chris Walker. I'd love to see him back in the side. Hopefully he'll have a great game for the Qld Residents side tomorrow.

no matty rogers

Sorry guys but I am a Broncos supporter 1st, Titans 2nd team. I will be cheering on the Broncos. With the Origin boys & Sam Thaiday coming back, hopefully they will get on a roll leading into the finals.

I am happy about Matty Rogers playing, didn't deserve to be suspended.

Tough assignment.

Without Rogers and lanfranci i dont know about this one.

We need to hold it together and no matter what be competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

would of thoguht jake webster would of been bak in the team

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    would of thoguht jake webster would of been bak in the team
    I think he's still injured... so he has been given another week to recover... at least we have depth in the backs... because the team needs it ATM...:duh:

Junior Titan

We may have depth in the backs but replacing someone as scintillating in attack as Rogers with a very good defensive centre like O'Dwyer (who I am a big fan of) will do nothing to ease our point scoring issues. This coupled with the form Tonie Carroll and the boys are in and the fact we towelled them up last time makes me a little sceptical as to how we are going to conjure up a win. If I was a betting man I would be outlaying some big biscuits on the broncos 13+.

Our players are always injured damn titans , how can i go 4 a team when they keep getting injured..