Default Round 16: Bulldogs vs Sydney Roosters

Bulldogs vs Sydney Roosters
    Telstra Stadium, Monday 2nd July, 7:00PM

vs

Referee: Jarrad Maxwell

Team Notes:

Bulldogs

- Jarrad Hickey moves from the interchange bench to starting prop in place of the suspended Mark O'Meley.

- Kane Cleal and Nick Kouparitsas move from the interchange bench to the starting side in place of Willie Mason and Andrew Ryan who are away on State of Origin duty.

- Brad Morrin, Adam Brideson and Aaron Wheatley have been promoted from Premier League to the bench.

- Hazem El Masri has been called into NSW SOO team to replace Jamie Lyon, Heka Nanai has been named as the replacement winger.

- Corey Hughes has been named as captain.

Roosters

- Amos Roberts has been named at fullback for the Roosters Monday night clash with the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium.

- The only other change to the team that took the field against the Eels last week is Mitchell Aubusson who comes in at lock for Ashley Harrison who moves back to the bench.

Teams:

1. Luke Patten
    2. Heka Nanai
    3. Daryl Millard
    4. Willie Tonga
    5. Cameron Phelps
    6. Ben Roberts
    7. Brent Sherwin
    8. Jarrad Hickey
    9. Corey Hughes (c)
    10. Kane Cleal
    11. Sonny Bill Williams
    12. Nick Kouparitsas
    13. Reni Maitua

Interchange:

14. Adam Perry
    15. Brad Morrin
    16. Adam Brideson
    17. Aaron Wheatley

1. Amos Roberts
    2. John Williams
    3. Joel Monaghan
    4. Iosia Soliola
    5. Sam Perrett
    6. Setaimata Sa
    7. Mitchell Pearce
    8. David Shillington
    9. Craig Wing
    10. Danny Nutley
    11. Anthony Tupou
    12. Craig Fitzgibbon
    13. Mitchell Aubersson

Interchange

14. Frank-Paul Nuuausala
    15. Lopin Paea
    16. Danny Williams
    17. Ashley Harrisson

I am happy.... not only because I picked this side as the side to run out, minus Green and Wheatley on another forum... but because we were able to field a competitive side for this weeks clash...

I reckon the bench will be Holdsworth, Morrin, Brideson and Perry... which is good as we have some variety, but I would have liked to have had a power forward up front... someone to replace Hickey and Cleal.

This is a decent side considering what we have available though, and more than capable if their minds are on the job of getting the Roosters...

GO BULLDOGS GO...

I'll go the doggies on this one.

I'd mark it on my calendar but I can't seem to find July 2th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    I'll go the doggies on this one.

I'd mark it on my calendar but I can't seem to find July 2th.

LOL thanks for pointing it out CS.. I didn't create the thread, Queenslander did... and he did a great job today doing 3 rounds worth of them.. so yeah I'll change it now... :duh:

*CONFIRMED *

Heka Nanai will take the place of Hazem El Masri who was called up for Origin Duty.

18-year-old Heka Nanai will debut and take El Masri's place on the wing.

Aaron Wheatley will also make his debut for the 'Dogs off the bench while Daniel Holdsworth and Jon Green drop off the six-man interchange bench.
    I don't know much about Heka... but the Doggies forums are full of good word for this guy and I wish him all the best if it does happen.

*Final Score*

vs

Bulldogs:38

(J Hickey 2, S B Williams 2, C Phelps 2, D Millard tries; B Sherwin 5 goals)

Roosters

(L Paea try; C Fitzgibbon conversion)

Great effort by the boys tonight, especially SBW... he gets better every game, he keeps this up, we will have a wrecking ball for the finals...:woot:

The young guns really did stand up tonight and impress, the likes of Koups, Cleal, Luva, Wheats, Brideson and Hanai did a very solid job and helped make the game of the more established stars a lot more easier.

Sherwin is looking good, sure he still made some not so great decisions, but him and Benny get better every week together and Shifty is starting to run, always a promising sign...

What can we say about the Roosters but pathetic, inept and a sad image of a performance, were completely outgunned and should have never taken an injured number 7 into the game... Pearce didn't miss those kicks for touch because he wasn't good enough, he missed them because he wasn't 100% fit.

But the Bulldogs are back, the Kennel is barking and if we keep this up, we will make the 8 for sure, then look out, because no team does it in September like we do...

Sizzling Bulldogs trounce Roosters
    By Chris Paine

Strong performance ... Bulldogs back rower Sonny Bill Williams pushes past Roosters skipper Craig Fitzgibbon. (Getty Images: Ezra Shaw)

The Bulldogs consolidated their push towards the NRL top eight with a relentless 38-6 display to dispose of the Roosters in their Monday night clash at Telstra Stadium in Sydney.

Sonny Bill Williams and Brent Sherwin fired as the Bulldogs showed no mercy against their 2004 grand final combatants, piling on seven tries to one to condemn the Roosters to their 10th loss of the season.

Williams starred for Steve Folkes' side, the New Zealand international back rower scoring a try either side of the break in a dazzling individual display while Sherwin announced his return to peak form with a commanding performance at half-back.

Williams combined with Sherwin to produce both of his four-pointers, the first from a switch play in the 12th minute before pouncing on a trademark Sherwin grubber to grab his second eight minutes into the second stanza and capitalise on the home side's 16-6 half-time advantage.

The gifted lock forward - who also set up a brilliant first-half effort for Bulldogs centre Darryl Millard - made a forthright apology to fans during a post-match interview with television network Fox Sports for his recent off-field behaviour.

"To all my fans - I know I have been in trouble the past few weeks but I'm working really hard to make amends," man-of-the-match Williams said.

Bulldogs winger Cameron Phelps posted a second-half brace, while young prop Jarrad Hickey took the opportunity to highlight his credentials to succeed Mark O'Meley in the Bulldogs starting front row next season with a double of his own.

The home side toyed with the Roosters' left-edge defence, scoring five of their seven tries down that side with Sherwin combining a selective kicking game with his ****nal of short and long passes to orchestrate the 32-point win.

Sherwin was also on song with the boot, kicking five conversions from seven attempts in the absence of regular goal-kicker Hazem El Masri who missed the clash after earning a call-up to the New South Wales State of Origin side.

Roosters half-back Mitchell Pearce laboured during the first-half with a back injury that kept him off the field for the remainder of the match, his absence throughout the second stanza left Chris Anderson's side without direction and impetus in attack.

First half

The Bulldogs scored three tries to one to lead 16-6 at the break, with Hickey and Williams scoring inside the opening 12 minutes to push the hosts out to an early 12-0 lead.

The Roosters had several opportunities to bridge the gap, and reduced the deficit to a converted try when interchange player Lopina Paea touched down in the 29th minute.

Video referee Chris Ward was in the thick of the action during the first stanza, penalising burly Roosters five-eighth Seitamata Sa for a double movement before denying Williams what would have culminated in a hat-trick, judging the ball to have been placed shy of the tryline.

But Williams made amends in the shadows of the half-time siren, picking up a pass from young five-eighth Ben Roberts and using sizzling footwork to attract two defenders before popping a one-handed basketball-style flick to Millard to cross for his side's third of the half.

The results lifts the Bulldogs to 10th place on the ladder just one win outside the top six while the Roosters remain in 15th spot ahead of the Penrith Panthers.

Bulldogs: 38 (J Hickey 2, S B Williams 2, C Phelps 2, D Millard tries; B Sherwin 5 tries)

Roosters: 6 (L Paea try; C Fitzgibbon conversion)

yay doggies

wheatley played well for his debut, and i pretty much knew he would because im his myspace buddy

haha.

sherwin played awesome, i hate to admit sbw played good.. damn i hate him

can't wait to have mason, ryan and hazem back though to see how we really are going and put everything into proper perspective

i dont want o'meley back though

hes been nothing but crap this year.