PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Broncos have a cry over Mondays

DIEHARD
22-06-07, 03:47 PM
Brisbane Broncos don't like Mondays

The biggest-drawing club in the NRL is concerned its first taste of Monday Night Footy could bomb badly as Broncos fans have been slow to embrace the concept.

Monday night matches have been a surprise success for the NRL this season, but ticket sales for the Broncos' match against Wests Tigers on Monday have been worryingly slow.

The Broncos' average home attendance this season has been 32,714 ? far and away the best for any club in the league. The Titans (24,914) and Cowboys (19,589) are the only other sides averaging close to or over 20,000.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen last night admitted the lack of sales for his club's first Monday night foray was a concern.

"At the moment we are on track for a crowd of around 21,000," Cullen said last night.

"That might not sound too bad for most clubs but for us that is extremely poor.

"We make no secret of the importance of crowd numbers to our bottom line. We don't have the backing of a big leagues club, and for us to meet our targets we budget for a crowd of around 31,000.

"If you get 21,000 one week, it means you need 41,000 the week after, and we know we have at least one more Monday night game this year."

The Broncos believe if Monday night's game against the fourth-placed Tigers had been scheduled for a Friday night or Sunday afternoon, it could easily have attracted a crowd of more than 30,000.

Cullen was outspoken earlier in the year about his dislike of the Monday night concept but said its success elsewhere had ensured it would become a permanent fixture and one Brisbane must embrace.

"Monday night games are here to stay so it's a challenge we have to meet and we are working on a number of strategies in that regard," Cullen said..

"We want it to be a success, and I guess with this game falling in chool holidays it is a bit of a blessing, because it is a bit easier for families not having to get the kids off to school the next day."

Courier Mail

DIEHARD
22-06-07, 03:50 PM
What a load of crap and what a disgusting defeatist attitude.

The Monday night concept is a challenge, but a challenge taken up by nearly every other club in the league.

I have no doubt that if the Broncos actually tried to positively promote the fixture they would get over 30,ooo. But they take a negative angle, with a front page sports article in the Courier Mail three days out from the match.

Good one Broncos.

Monday night footy has been a success on the Coast and I can not accept that it wouldn't be a success in Brisbane if given the chance. It is a city of nearly 2 million people! :mad:

They have done a fantastic job of destroying a lot of fans enthusiasm for the match and would have basically burnt several thousand tickets that would have been sold by sucking the good vibe out of it.

mb63
22-06-07, 04:34 PM
Shocking attitude from the Broncos,Bundy night footy has been a great success.

Queenslander
22-06-07, 07:02 PM
Monday night footy will work for select markets. It has failed up at North Queensland but has been a success for teams like the Titans and many of the Sydney based team. After this year the NRL should allocated based on their respective location. If they don't than attendance figures won't increase.

DIEHARD
22-06-07, 08:59 PM
Monday night footy will work for select markets. It has failed up at North Queensland but has been a success for teams like the Titans and many of the Sydney based team. After this year the NRL should allocated based on their respective location. If they don't than attendance figures won't increase.

North Queensland and the city of Brisbane, you couldn't get any more different cases.

In fact there shouldn't be a market more embracive, being the 2nd biggest rugby league city in the world with a population of nearly 2 million and with the Broncos being the sole embedded NRL team.

Cowboy Titan
22-06-07, 10:27 PM
I think the crowds have been quite healthy this year for Monday nights.

The Cowboys game actually did better than expected with 17678 turning up which is only 2300 short of their average for the year.

Here's the crowds so far:

Round 1 - Roosters 24127
Round 2 - Titans 17946
Round 3 - Raiders 13109
Round 4 - Sharks 19137
Round 5 - Raiders 15862
Round 6 - Cowboys 17678
Round 7 - Knights 15453
Round 8 - Titans 17806
Round 9 - Storm 14066
Round 10 - Manly 13493
Round 11 - Eels 11160
Round 12 - Tigers 22245
Round 13 - Dragons 12455
Round 14 - Knights 11349

Social Loafer
22-06-07, 10:59 PM
and Canberra's population is 1/6 of Brisbane's.. and they expect only 3000 more people? Brisbane need less whinging and more promoting.

Brissyboy
23-06-07, 12:39 AM
**** im goin to this game hopefully a couple more tickets get sold before then.lol:hissyfit"

Steve
23-06-07, 01:28 AM
With the easy access to Suncorp, there's no reason it wouldn't be a success. Located pretty much middle of the city, multitude of bus and trains taking people to and from the stadium, they have nothing to worry about.

Typical Broncos though, everyone is out to get them and everything that happens in the world of rugby league is designed to bring about their downfall.

Good to see Wayne's culture of paranoia is still going strong.

travop
23-06-07, 10:12 AM
they'll get more people going to the games during the school holidays with more kids wanting to go to the games

RLfan
23-06-07, 10:15 AM
I am Broncos through and through, but this carry on is bull****, the game hasn't even been played yet. Every team should play 2 Monday Night games.

travop
23-06-07, 10:17 AM
yea the titans have had more monday night games then anyone else i think????

Brissyboy
23-06-07, 02:34 PM
they'll get more people going to the games during the school holidays with more kids wanting to go to the games

Hopefully i want at least 30,000 lol

DIEHARD
23-06-07, 03:51 PM
The Broncos are giving a free junior entry with every adult entry I think.

I saw this in the Courier Mail today, hidden in their usual match advertisement, it didn't stick out or seem special.

So at least they are trying something, but it is just being drowned in a seas of negativity.

You need to big it up. Come on it's a novelty,

Let's take back Mondays! Spread the word to all the schools, unis, tafes and workplaces. We got a cure for Mondayitis and it's Broncos v Tigers at Lang Park....

travop
23-06-07, 04:57 PM
i would go but i have a job interview then footy training then a mates party all in the same night

Hoppy2007Dragons
23-06-07, 06:12 PM
i finish my uni exam in the arvo, if my uni mates ar't keen to go to the city, i'm gonna go and expirece monday night footy first hand at a stadium with plenty of room.

DIEHARD
24-06-07, 09:53 AM
Yea I'm gonna turn up as well.

No thanks to the Broncos marketing department though. :rolf:

Steelers
25-06-07, 09:29 PM
Well, 29364 people turned up despite the rain. The Broncos have no excuses now...

Ryan
25-06-07, 09:35 PM
Well, 29364 people turned up despite the rain. The Broncos have no excuses now...

3350 below average..... :nope:

Cowboy Titan
25-06-07, 10:03 PM
3350 below average..... :nope:
On a cold and miserable night, I'd be happy with that turnout.

Ryan
25-06-07, 10:04 PM
On a cold and miserable night, I'd be happy with that turnout.
Sorry, that was meant to be read in a sarcastic manner :laugh:

DIEHARD
26-06-07, 02:47 AM

A fantastic crowd. Just shows that the Broncos don't give their fans and the city of Brisbane enough credit. They were out of touch.

Now if they took a positive line from the begining and not spat the dummy, I'm sure we would have seen a crowd in excess of 35,000.

But they spent the last 5 days writing it off in the media.

Fantastic crowd, well done Brisbane.

Darren Lockyer
26-06-07, 07:40 AM
some teams don't even get that on a good day

Queenslander
26-06-07, 09:08 AM
It was a good crowd however it was obvious that many officials didn't expect it. There were huge lines for tickets outside the stadium (many not getting in well after kick off). There were in-efficient transport services meaning that many were late to the game which started at 7 (IMO it should start at 7:30). Plus it was raining something could have been done about that ;)

DIEHARD
26-06-07, 04:35 PM
Yea it was raining as well.

I think once again the people of Brisbane have shown their love of rugby league.

Great effort.

shamus
26-06-07, 10:40 PM
some teams don't even get that on a good day

Most teams don't get that on a good day....

Social Loafer
26-06-07, 10:56 PM
Most teams don't get that on a good day....

Most teams don't have a market place of 1.6 Million all to themselves..

DIEHARD
26-06-07, 11:06 PM

Touche.

shamus
26-06-07, 11:15 PM

So where were the other 1,570,636 people.......

P.S. I ain't a Broncos fan...just saying it was a great crowd.....but in hindsight..........maybe it wasn't

Social Loafer
26-06-07, 11:43 PM
So where were the other 1,570,636 people.......

P.S. I ain't a Broncos fan...just saying it was a great crowd.....but in hindsight..........maybe it wasn't

All depends how you look at it, yes it was a very good crowd, it was around double Canberra's average Monday Night crowds..

but Canberra has 1/6 of Brisbane's population....

Steelers
27-06-07, 12:02 AM
All depends how you look at it, yes it was a very good crowd, it was around double Canberra's average Monday Night crowds..

but Canberra has 1/6 of Brisbane's population....

And Canberra folk would have alot less incentive to go out to games because of the conditions (temperature and stuff)

Social Loafer
27-06-07, 12:06 AM
And Canberra folk would have alot less incentive to go out to games because of the conditions (temperature and stuff)

What are you on about, Canberra has beautiful weather!

Just last week it reached -7.5 degrees in the early hours of Friday Morning :laugh:

DIEHARD
27-06-07, 01:05 AM
Just last week it reached -7.5 degrees in the early hours of Friday Morning :laugh:

Are you serious?

Social Loafer
27-06-07, 10:24 AM
Are you serious?

Yep, and today is expected to reach a balmy 7 degrees!! :test:

Ryan
27-06-07, 04:36 PM
Yep, and today is expected to reach a balmy 7 degrees!! :test:

These posts are really doing much for Canberra tourism :nope:

travop
27-06-07, 05:37 PM
These posts are really doing much for Canberra tourism :nope:
lol yea
HEY KIDS COME TO CANBERRA AND SEE SIGHTS SUCH AS THE A.I.S AND PARALIMENT HOUSE WHILE SUFFERING FROSTBITE
:clap: :duh:

PROMETHEUS
27-06-07, 05:46 PM
That probably explains why Frawley was permanantly injured

Social Loafer
27-06-07, 06:47 PM
That probably explains why Frawley was permanantly injured

Now that I think of it would be pretty cold for someone in a Skirt.

Capital_Shark
27-06-07, 08:26 PM
Now that I think of it would be pretty cold for someone in a Skirt.

SNAP!

Hoppy2007Dragons
27-06-07, 09:51 PM
fizzle