PDA

View Full Version : Round 13: Burleigh Bears vs Central Comets

DIEHARD
08-06-07, 05:44 PM
BURLEIGH v CENTRAL
Pizzey Park, Saturday June 9, 2pm.

LIVE ON ABC, SATURDAY.

http://www.qrl.com.au/images/q_cup/teams/bears.gif http://www.qrl.com.au/images/q_cup/teams/vs.gif http://www.qrl.com.au/images/q_cup/teams/commets.gif

Referee: Justin EASTWOOD

Winners for the first time last week, the Central Comets have taken a hit, losing Mick Esdale for two weeks due to suspension. Scorer of two tries and man of the match in the club?s 20-16 win against Souths Logan, Esdale received 299 points for a grade two dangerous throw and existing carry-over points, narrowly escaping three weeks on the sidelines. Steve Farrelly moves to lock and Todd Titmus slots into the second row. Yet another CQ youngster will make his debut, with 18-year-old Jeremy Halls included on the interchange. Burleigh is hoping to avoid a fifth straight defeat, which would be the club?s worst ever run in the Wizard Cup. Plenty of talent is at the Bears? disposal, with Josh Graham, Clint Amos and Ryan Gundry all named to return. Kale Burton was players? player on debut last week.

BURLEIGH BEARS

1. Nick PARFITT
2. Trent PURDON
3. Lelea PAEA
4. Jordon ATKINS
5. Aseri LAING
6. Alex GLENN
7. Ben BLACK
13. Clint AMOS
12. Josh GRAHAM
11. Martin GRIESE
10. Kale BURTON
9. Ryan GUNDRY c
8. James GRIFFITHS

Interchange:
14. John FLINT
15. Wayne PHILLIS
16. Stacey KATU
17. Travis SIMPSON

Coach: Jimmy LENIHAN

CENTRAL COMETS

1. Junior AURU
2. Ray GARRETT
3. Tyron HAYNES
4. Guy WILLIAMS
5. Cody GRAY
6. Nat BOWMAN
7. Yoren MAJOR
13. Steve FARRELLY
12. John BIDGOOD
11. Todd TITMUS
10. Luke FATNOWNA
9. Pat DALL
8. Wayne BARNETT c

Interchange:
14. James MUNNS
15. Brent WILLIAMS
16. Jeremy HALLS
17. Kristian MENE

Coach: Steve ANDERSON

DIEHARD
08-06-07, 05:45 PM
Remember guys, this game is on ABC QLD this Saturday!

So make sure you tune in and support our feeder club and our up and coming talent.

Old Diehard
09-06-07, 09:40 AM
Burleigh Bears are a marvellous club! And have had a bad run in the last few rounds. They'll be hoping to turn it around. Central Queensland Comets had a good win over the Magpies last week-end...What can you say about the Rockhampton based CQ Comets- great Rugby League area and Queensland needs a strong club up there for its fans. The Comets need more wins on the board.
Damn I have a soft spot for both teams (can't lose that way can I !)

Cowboy Titan
09-06-07, 12:21 PM
Titan gets dream game for Bears

Graham Callaghan
09Jun07

TITANS' hard-working hooker Clint Amos will be living the dream of his youth when he lines up for the Burleigh Bears in their must-win game against Central Comets at Pizzey Park this afternoon.

Amos has completed a two-match suspension for a dangerous throw charge and as the Titans have a bye this weekend he will pack down at lock with his former club Burleigh Bears.

"This is something I dreamed about when I was growing up because I played all my junior football with the Bears and a few under-19 games, but this time I will be playing with the boys I grew up with and respected when I was younger so its going to be a good day," said Amos.

"Hopefully I can play some good footy and we can get back on the winning track again.

"There are players at the Burleigh Bears like Ryan Gundry, Shane O'Flanagan and Robert Apanui who I respected and looked up to when I was young.

"I know Flash (O'Flanagan) and Apanui are out this week but it will be a good day to be running around in the same side as captain Ryan Gundry, because I have looked up to him for many seasons.

"It's awesome to be home and playing with the Titans in front of a Gold Coast crowd where I grew up. It's sensational. I'm living the dream.

"I had a dream when I was younger to play first grade with the Burleigh Bears in front of my family and friends and now to do it and also be with the Titans is awesome and really means a great deal to me.

"The suspension was a low point for me but I'll work my way back to the Titans and it may mean having a few weeks with the Bears."

Amos joined Norths Devils after leaving Burleigh and then moved to the North Queensland Young Guns where he was a vital part of their Queensland Cup winning side in 2004, and was voted the Young Guns Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005 before winning his way into the Cowboys ranks.

Burleigh coach Jimmy Lenihan is more than happy to have the Titans hooker returning to the NRL through his ranks saying Bears needed to win today and get back on track after four consecutive losses.

"This is a must win match for us and we have to go out with all guns blazing like there is no tomorrow because a loss would present a diabolical situation," said Lenihan.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2007/06/09/5656_sports.html

Coaster
09-06-07, 04:27 PM
Amos was put on report :(

patskE
09-06-07, 05:06 PM
did GRAHAM have a good game?
i wanna see this guy bak in the titans colours
n coaster he got put on report again :S wat for this time?
does that mean he cant play for the titans n the bears or jsut the bears

patskE
09-06-07, 05:12 PM
Players:
1. Nick PARFITT
2. Trent PURDON
3. Marty PAULSON
4. Jordon ATKINS
5. Aseri LAING
6. Alex GLENN
7. Ben BLACK
13. Clint AMOS
12. Leigh COGHILL
11. Martin GRIESE
10. Kale BURTON
9. Ryan GUNDRY c
8. James GRIFFITHS

Interchange:
14. John FLINT
15. Wayne PHILLIS
16. Stacey KATU
17. Travis SIMPSON

Coach: Jimmy LENIHAN

i took that from the qld cup site
is this a good thing? means he got picked for 1st grade? or injury still?

DIEHARD
11-06-07, 09:05 AM
Amos on report tarnishes win

BEING placed on report for a dangerous tackle has overshadowed a powerful display by Titans hooker Clint Amos in helping Burleigh Bears beat Central Comets 28-10 at Pizzey Park, Miami, on Saturday.

Ironically, the former Bears junior was playing his comeback match after serving a two-week NRL suspension on a dangerous throw charge.

Now Amos is facing an allegation of being a repeat offender.

Referee Justin Eastwood placed Amos, 23, on report with teammate Stacey Katu for a dangerous tackle and the club will be told the result of the report on Tuesday.

Hopefully the tribunal will not wish to take it any further, said a remorseful Amos who played 30 minutes in each half.

The new-look Bears returned to the winning list after four consecutive losses with coach Jim Lenihan pleased with the win despite losing the second half 10-nil.

"It was disappointing that they scored 10 points in the second half but when we led 28-nil at half-time I used the second half as an opportunity to teach a few lessons," said Lenihan. "I rested Kale Burton and Leigh Coghill because more people have to take responsibility for how we are going."

"I restricted the playing time of other senior players during the second half because we are a team with plenty of new faces. We have to start blooding younger players.

"It was hard and we knew it was going to be tough in the second half but I didn't want to make any replacements. The best way to learn is to be out there on the paddock.

"While we have our seasoned first-graders we also have plenty of players who are just stepping into the top grade this season.

"We have had injuries to our leading players which opens the door of opportunity for our younger footballers. But they have to be out on the field to gain the necessary experience because we just can't rely on our older players all the time.

"It's more about our fringe players improving. That is the lesson I tried to teach against the Comets.

"We are just trying to teach our fringe players that mediocrity is not an acceptable standard and they must always be striving to improve."

Comets coach, Steve Anderson, who was at Tweed Heads Seagulls in the early 1990s, said he had a young squad who had to learn to mature and he was pleased with the manner they finished against Burleigh.

"We must learn to accept the referees decisions, even if we think sometimes they are questionable, and control our discipline and attitude," said Anderson.

Burleigh centre Trent Purdon, who moved from his usual wing position to replace injured Lelea Paea, showed some quick hands to slip a short inside ball for second rower Martin Griese to cross for Burleigh's first try after just eight minutes.

This set the tone for the first half with fullback Nick Parfitt, prop Kale Burton, second rower Coghill and lock John Flint all crossing for tries and Parfitt landing four conversions.

Source: http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

patskE
11-06-07, 03:32 PM
hope he dont
need friend n him to counter robbie farah, tbh if we shut him down from dummy half we got the game, his the new benji