PDA

View Full Version : Walker confident of NRL return

DIEHARD
06-06-07, 03:24 PM
Walker confident of NRL return

Chris Walker believes he has conquered his demons and will make a comeback to the NRL this year. The Gold Coast star is close to completing an eight-week rehabilitation program as part of his fight against anxiety disorder and alcohol problems.

Walker was banished to the Queensland Cup after coming perilously close to being sacked from Titans over an alcohol-related incident at a Surfers Paradise nightclub on April 7.

Asked whether he was confident of playing in the NRL again this season, Walker said: "Yeah I think I will.

"My form in reserve grade (for Ipswich) has been unreal.

"I just have to keep on doing what I'm doing in reserve grade and more importantly off the field because it's never been about my ability on the field.

"I can play the game and I'm one of the best strike weapons in the comp. It's more off the field stuff that I'm pleased with."

Gold Coast opted to throw Walker a lifeline after discovering his erratic behaviour was due to a psychological disorder which was only recently diagnosed.

The NRL newcomers fined Walker 25 per cent of his contract and imposed strict conditions on the talented winger, including an eight-week suspension from training with Titans and a ban on alcohol and gambling.

Walker said he hadn't touched a drink since the embarrassing incident at Melbas nightclub where he became involved in an altercation with a patron.

"That's largely due to the things I've been doing and the people that I've been seeing," the former Queensland State of Origin rep said.

"Everything's perfect for me. I've been as positive as what I have been.

"I wish I had of done it five years ago to be honest."

Walker credited his partner, Gold Coast hairdresser Courtney Hammond, his family and a personal mentor appointed by Titans managing director Michael Searle for helping him through the darkest stage of his troubled life.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Big J
06-06-07, 03:28 PM
It has well and truly been a good news day!! Can't wait to see Chris back in the top flight as I truly believe he is the best winger at the Titans. As for the off field stuff, actions speak louder than words and I truly hope he continues with his successful "rehabilitation". Maybe Rogers would pass outside him if he saw Walker there!!!!

Dakink
06-06-07, 03:35 PM
My hat goes off - though the real test will be when he gets back to playing and the temptation is around him again.

Tamwelg
06-06-07, 07:59 PM
He's full of confidence and why not, he is playing great footy for the Jets. Can't wait to see him back in first grade, as soon as the eight weeks are up, slot him straight back in the starting side on either wing.

TITAN PETE
07-06-07, 09:09 PM
I spoke with Chris last week & he's very confident he'll be back very soon & i think he may play in the same position he currently plays with Ipswich in the Centres , he will be far dangerous inside Rogers & Sideshow on the wing which will be 1 quick backline:)

PROMETHEUS
07-06-07, 10:20 PM
Would make for an interesting "dilemma"..fitting in both Walker and Presto into our backline..if only we had the same luxury in the forwards! :hissyfit"

Social Loafer
07-06-07, 11:25 PM
I can play the game and I'm one of the best strike weapons in the comp

Good to see the ego is still there........

DIEHARD
07-06-07, 11:39 PM
Good to see the ego is still there........

He also wraps his own form as being UNREAL.

But I think his form has been great and he can at best be one of the best and exciting weapons in the game.

But he shouldn't really be saying this type of thing, he is adding pressure to his own back that he doesnt need.

DIEHARD
10-06-07, 03:15 AM
Chris Walker had another great game for the Jets this weekend in their 36-6 win over Easts Tigers, scoring 12 points with one try and four goals!

patskE
10-06-07, 02:02 PM
i rkn they prob slot him right bak in due to his foam
i would prob move webster to center n drop delaney tbh
but thats just me

BringBackWillie
10-06-07, 09:56 PM
So therefore on my calculations it will mean both Walker and Presto will return for the game against Wests???? ***confused***