PDA

View Full Version : Titans sign Eel Aaron Cannings

Cowboy Titan
05-06-07, 01:09 PM
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21852221-5003409,00.html

June 05, 2007 11:45am
Article from: AAP

PARRAMATTA prop Aaron Cannings has signed a three-year deal with the Gold Coast Titans.

Titans coach John Cartwright said New Zealand-born Cannings was the big front-rower the club was searching for to help shore up the key position. Cannings, 25, is expected to join co-captain Luke Bailey in the front row for the 2008 season.

"I've been impressed with Aaron's form this season and I'm confident his style of play will complement the hard-working pack that we have already assembled at the club," Cartwright said.

"He is built strong, runs low to the ground and is very mobile for a front-rower. Basically, he is a very good fit for us."

After missing the 2006 season through injury, Cannings has worked hard to play his way back into the Parramatta side and has been instrumental in the Eels' surge up the NRL ladder.

Cannings said he was confident Titans strength and conditioning coach Billy Johnstone would help take his game to the next level.

"Personally my partner Brenda and I are looking forward to relocating to the Gold Coast where we will be closer to our family who are based in Lismore," he said.

The Titans have only two fit front-rowers, Bailey and James Stosic, in their top squad following season-ending injuries to Brad Meyers (knee) and Michael Henderson (broken leg).

Capital_Shark
05-06-07, 01:57 PM
Good signing, finally a big fella! Cannings had a great game last night I thought. Struggled to tell him and Fui Fui apart.

patskE
05-06-07, 02:03 PM
that still dont fix our prob we have now :S

DIEHARD
05-06-07, 02:22 PM
Cannings is coming!!

http://www.titans.com.au/images/articles/cropped/070605121251-Cannings.jpg

Parramatta Prop Aaron Cannings has signed a three year deal with the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans and will join the club for the 2008 season.

An exciting, ball running Front Rower, Cannings will provide Coach John Cartwright with a perfect partner for workaholic Prop and Co-Captain Luke Bailey.

Cartwright said "I have been impressed with Aaron's form this season and I am confident his style of play will complement the hard working pack that we have already assembled at the club. At 110kgs he is the big front rower that we have been searching for."

"Aaron has been one of the competition's form Props over the last month and again played strongly for Parramatta during their win over the West Tigers last night. He is built strong, runs low to the ground and is very mobile for a Front Rower, basically he is a very good fit for us." Cartwright said.

After missing the 2006 season through injury, Cannings has worked hard to play his way back into the Parramatta side and has been instrumental in the Eels recent surge up the NRL ladder.

While committed to the Eels cause for 2007, the 25 year old is already looking forward to the new challenges which await him on the Gold Coast.

Cannings Said " I have been really impressed by the way things have gone for the Titans this year, they look to be a thoroughly professional Club on and off the field."

"I'm looking forward to playing under John Cartwright, and I am confident that the Titans strength and conditioning Coach Billy Johnstone will help take my game to the next level."

"Personally my partner Brenda and I are looking forward to relocating to the Gold Coast where we will be closer to our family who are based in Lismore."

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Tamwelg
05-06-07, 04:40 PM
Woot we have another big bopper :D, don't know a great deal about him, I'll have to keep an eye on him for the rest of the season.

DIEHARD
05-06-07, 04:47 PM
Woot we have another big bopper :D, don't know a great deal about him, I'll have to keep an eye on him for the rest of the season.

Yea I might actually have to watch a Parra game for once.

I wonder how he went last night?

Capital_Shark
05-06-07, 05:01 PM
Yea I might actually have to watch a Parra game for once.

I wonder how he went last night?

He went well. Like I said in another post, had trouble telling if it was Moi Moi or Cannings thrashing through the defense.

Massive_Weno
06-06-07, 03:19 PM
Never been the biggest Cannings fan but he is playing well this year. Will add depth and competition to the Titans front row next year.

Big J
06-06-07, 03:24 PM
Never been the biggest Cannings fan but he is playing well this year. Will add depth and competition to the Titans front row next year.

As a devout Parramatta hater I would have to agree but along with the great Fui Fui, Cannings seems to have really improved his fitness and committment to rugby league this year and the results speak for themselves.

Titanium_BD1103
06-06-07, 07:41 PM
Cannings is going from strength to strength at Parra this year... and I hope he can do well at the Titans in 2008... :)

He is a great long term signing, tough as nails, good strong player who will only improve and provide a great support for Bailey and Hendo, and he is also a great bloke... I've been lucky to meet him a few times around Parra and at their alternate training facility and he has always been good to have a chat about his footy and his desire to get into the big time... :)

If you think Dean Widders type thinking but with a bit more size and power, then you have Cannings... a fantastic signing for the Titans... :D :D