PDA

View Full Version : Dane Carlaw being looked at by the Titans

Queenslander
05-06-07, 09:18 AM
Titans eye Carlaw

Matt Marshall and Steve Ricketts

June 05, 2007 12:00am
Article from: The Courier-Mail

FORSAKEN Bronco Dane Carlaw could become the latest NRL player to switch clubs mid-season after expressing interest in joining the Titans.

With his future at the Broncos heavily clouded, it is believed Carlaw has sounded out interest from the NRL newcomer through former teammate Brad Meyers, though he is likely to play out 2007 at the Broncos.

Scans taken yesterday confirmed that Meyers will miss the rest of the season with cruciate ligament damage suffered in Sunday's 28-8 win over Canberra at Carrara. The loss of Meyers on top of Michael Henderson (broken leg) and Michael Hodgson (groin) leaves the Titans thin on the ground for props, with Anthony Laffranchi expected to fill the role in the short term.

Laffranchi played front row for Wests Tigers in their 30-16 win over North Queensland in the 2005 NRL grand final, scoring a try and impressing with his workrate.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle last night admitted coach John Cartwright was keen to sign Carlaw, with the club poised to offer the off-contract 27-year-old a deal if Brisbane declines to renew his contract.

The Broncos all but sealed Carlaw's fate by signing Panthers enforcer Joel Clinton on a lucrative three-year deal.

Chief executive Bruno Cullen said: "Unfortunately for Dane, he's been on a contract for four years and hasn't given us a lot at times."

The Titans last night confirmed Meyers had spoken to Cartwright about Carlaw joining their fold ? and if upset by Brisbane's stance Carlaw could seek an immediate release.

"Brad Meyers mentioned his name to us and I've had a chat with the coach about him," Searle said.

"We've said we won't actively poach Broncos players but if Brisbane aren't going to offer him a new deal, we'll sit down and have a chat.

"I will ring Bruno to find out if Brisbane are planning to offer him a new deal. If they are, we won't do anything."

Cartwright ruled out promoting an untried prop from the Queensland Cup, such as former Australian Schoolboys star Will Matthews from Tweed who has been training with the Titans squad.

The Courier Mail

Steve
05-06-07, 09:57 AM
I don't really have an opinion on Carlaw, although a lot of what i've read says he's a bit soft.

Surely there's a decent prop or two in our feeder clubs?

bigjim
05-06-07, 10:13 AM
I think it could be a good buy.

He has all the tools but doesn't always get the job done.

His game depends heavily on focus and attitude, but if his head's in the right place he can be devastating.

As much as I like Thorn, I think Carlew can be more effective and If I had to choose he's the player I would go for.

At the Broncos he has been labeled an underperformer, maybe some truth in that but it still doesn't help his game if he feels everyone has low opinions of his ability and attitude.

Gold Coast could give him new beginnings and new goals. He's only 27 and I think he could have his best years ahead of him if the coast could unleash the Titan within him.

Steve
05-06-07, 11:19 AM
Some good points, bigjim.
A change of scenery could be what he needs to step up.

He's played origin hasn't he? So he's got the talent.

Throb
05-06-07, 01:13 PM
I'd suggest he will be asking for too much money.

Gee
05-06-07, 04:11 PM
I say if he is not good enough for the broncos he is not good enough for us

Capital_Shark
05-06-07, 04:16 PM
He's played origin hasn't he? So he's got the talent.

He's always stepped up for Origin and been a bit of a try scoring freak (for front/2nd rower)

bigjim
05-06-07, 04:35 PM
I say if he is not good enough for the broncos he is not good enough for us

Bit of a sweeping statement.

There are a lot of very good players leave the Broncos for a lot of different reasons. Meyers for one, the player he could likely replace.

Boofhead
05-06-07, 04:36 PM
I think a change in clubs is just what Carlaw needs to fire himself back up. He works hard and has made representative teams before so I think he would be a fantastic buy!

Tamwelg
05-06-07, 04:39 PM
I think it could be a good buy.

He has all the tools but doesn't always get the job done.

His game depends heavily on focus and attitude, but if his head's in the right place he can be devastating.

As much as I like Thorn, I think Carlew can be more effective and If I had to choose he's the player I would go for.

At the Broncos he has been labeled an underperformer, maybe some truth in that but it still doesn't help his game if he feels everyone has low opinions of his ability and attitude.

Gold Coast could give him new beginnings and new goals. He's only 27 and I think he could have his best years ahead of him if the coast could unleash the Titan within him.

Carlaw has been up and down. He has had a pretty good year for the Broncos this year. You make a good point Bigjim a change of clubs might be what he needs to step up a touch.

patskE
05-06-07, 06:00 PM
y wont he play will matthews

Ozdavo
05-06-07, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't feed Carlaw, and now we have signed Cannings I hope all talk of signing Carlaw is dead.

Darren Lockyer
05-06-07, 08:29 PM
He would be good for the rest of this season and could add some much needed size to the forward pack and would be a good bench/second rower next year for the titans

Chaos
06-06-07, 12:15 AM
As a Titan...I hope the Broncos re-sign him

RobJ
06-06-07, 07:29 AM
Dane is a powderpuff.....hasn't done anything consistent of note for ages.

I hope the Broncos re-sign him .....anyone but us, we can do better than that and have done.

Big J
06-06-07, 01:47 PM
I have to agree with the majority of the posts and say that unfortunately despite his size Dane Carlaw seems to be in the Jason Ryles category of forwards whose muscles seem to be attached to their unbelievably small hearts. I know there are a lot of Dragons and Broncos supporters on here but seriously, the only time either of them seem to have a dip is when it is time for contract negotiations. Early Tip:Carlaw to head to England and boost his retirement fund.

Tamwelg
06-06-07, 08:01 PM
y wont he play will matthews

He will get his day, but he's not quite ready yet.

ozynorts
06-06-07, 08:28 PM
I have to agree with the majority of the posts and say that unfortunately despite his size Dane Carlaw seems to be in the Jason Ryles category of forwards whose muscles seem to be attached to their unbelievably small hearts. I know there are a lot of Dragons and Broncos supporters on here but seriously, the only time either of them seem to have a dip is when it is time for contract negotiations. Early Tip:Carlaw to head to England and boost his retirement fund.
he has missed his chance what with the Titans signing Donnelly for this year and Cannings for next. Off to England with you jane!!!

PROMETHEUS
06-06-07, 10:43 PM
Cannings and Donnelly along with Bails will make our forwards look like TITANS!

TITAN PETE
07-06-07, 08:57 PM
Maybe he wants to relocate to help Burleigh or Seagulls premiership quests because he's far to soft to wear the TITANS COLOURS :mad: !

Dirtydog
12-06-07, 01:41 PM
That's a bit harsh TITAN PETE , When he played for the maroons he was one of the best players on the field, The support staff at the Broncos don't seem to want to help out guys who one season has a great year and then next the a quiet year ( look at Brad myers). If he came to The Titans or any other club i bet we would see a much better player.:argue:

bigjim
12-06-07, 02:24 PM
All players have good games and bad games.

As far as Dane is concerned, I think he's had a great 2007 and just needs a little more encouragement and effort to be back at his career best.

The vast majority of team players are as good as the players around them allow.

Apart from those few moments of individual brilliance by some, the game is about the team as a whole rising to a level greater than their opposition.

On those occasions where Dane has looked very ordinary, I would suspect the rest of the team has looked very ordinary as well.

Just a thought.

patskE
12-06-07, 02:41 PM
i hear his qld 18th man?

DIEHARD
20-06-07, 12:22 PM
Titans to talk with off-contract Bronco Carlaw

TITANS chief executive Michael Searle believes off-contract Bronco Dane Carlaw 'fits the mould' but concedes the club may not have the finances to make a serious play for him.

Former Test and State of Origin forward Carlaw will meet with Titans coach John Cartwright for talks this week as he weighs up his future.

The Titans view Carlaw, 27, as a perfect fit for the club, believing a change of environment after nine seasons at the Broncos may help the former representative regular rejuvenate his career.

But the Gold Coast's claims of snaring his signature are likely to rest with Carlaw, who would have to agree to a pay cut from his existing contract with the Broncos -- believed to be worth about $250,000 a season.

"Dane was 18th man for Origin, so that's how highly thought of he is, and he fits the mould," said Searle. "He's got good leg speed, is a big man and has got experience in premiership-winning teams.

"He's got all the ingredients you'd love to have in you're players.

"(But) from a financial point of view, Dane's an established first grader, so I don't know whether we would be able to meet his expectations with an offer we made. In saying that, if both parties are keen to do a deal, stranger things have happened."

Following the mid-season recruitment of five-eighth Josh Lewis and prop Ian Donnelly, along with the signing of Parramatta prop Aaron Cannings for next year, Seale said the Titans had room under the salary cap for a backrower and an outside back.

However, he said the money available to spend on a backrower was more fitting of an emerging player as opposed to Carlaw, who has played 12 Origins for Queensland and five Tests for Australia.

"The hurdles we've got to overcome are that we've got an allocation of resources for an outside back and emerging young backrower," he said.

"We've always had a budget line there for an emerging backrower, so it just depends on whether or not we could come to terms."

If the Titans are unable to come up with an attractive offer, it is likely Carlaw could join fellow Broncos veteran Shaun Berrigan in the English Super League next season.

Berrigan, also in his ninth season with the Broncos, last week signed a four-year deal with English club Hull.

The pair made their NRL debut in the same game together for the Broncos against Balmain at Leichhardt Oval in May, 1999.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/

Chris_Walker_Rules
22-06-07, 11:20 AM
i think dane will be a great pick up

Titan John
22-06-07, 11:39 AM
As i've said in another thread, pick him up as a wide running back rower and he'll work wonders for us. Bronc's have had to play him out of position which has rendered him less effective than he could be. A worthwhile pickup if we can get him.

Regards, T-J.