PDA

View Full Version : Titans Silence Their Critics

Boofhead
04-06-07, 09:18 AM
Titans silence their critics

By Dean Ritchie
June 04, 2007

GOLD Coast Titans coach John Cartwright can remember what the cynics said and what the critics predicted. His side would be 2007 flops.

"They said we would be lucky to win five games," Cartwright said.

Gold Coast has already surpassed that figure - and it's only early June.

At Carrara Stadium yesterday Gold Coast won its second successive match, a 28-8 win over Canberra.

Victory puts the Titans inside the top eight halfway through the season.

It also puts Cartwright in line for coach-of-the-year honours in his first season as head coach.

"I'm really happy we've won six matches so early in the season," Cartwright said.

"People didn't think we could win more than five games. But having said that we're not getting carried away. We've got the bye next week so we'll stay in the top eight. Someone then has to knock us out."

Gold Coast has been competitive all season, Cartwright building a strong culture and instilling character.

"We're in the top eight (and) we have plans to stay there," Titans co-captain Scott Prince said.

This was a horrible match to watch - one of the worst in years. There were fumbles, bumbles, silly penalties, poor defensive reads and penalty kicks not finding touch.

It was only the sheer class of Prince that enabled his side to win yesterday. His kicking game was superb and he contributed to four of his side's five first-half tries.

Gold Coast led 28-0 at half-time but could not bury Canberra in the second half.

"If you look for a negative you can always find it," Cartwright said. "But I thought we tackled our butts off."

Gold Coast lost forward Michael Hodsgon with a groin injury during the warm-up and then Brad Meyers for the season with a knee injury.

Cartwright believes his side is capable of defeating any of the NRL heavyweights. "No doubt. We've got to play well and be at our best and if we're not we'll get touched up," he said. "But if we do the little things we speak about I think we can compete with anyone."

Gold Coast's prop Luke Bailey revealed his side was forced to complete 185 tackles in the second half - an extraordinarily high amount.

"Canberra have one of the biggest packs in the competition so to defend like we did was unbelievable," he said.

The Raiders gave Gold Coast great field position in the first half by conceding several dumb penalties.

It gave Gold Coast momentum - and took the game away from Canberra.

The Daily Telegraph

bigjim
05-06-07, 10:21 AM
The second half wasn't as good as the first. It rarely is for one of the teams.

Okay, the Titans didn't bury them in the second half, but you have to give a lot of the credit to the Canberra team. They didn't just roll over, they made a real effort in the second half and got up in the Titans faces.

Sure they didn't score in the second half, but they did restrict one of the biggest packs in the competition to just 8 points with incredible defence.

I for one thought it was a mighty effort.

Well done Titans :D