PDA

View Full Version : Round 12: Gold Coast Titans vs Canberra Raiders

Titanium_BD1103
29-05-07, 01:27 PM
Gold Coast Titans vs Canberra Raiders
Gold Coast Stadium, Sunday 3 June; 2:00PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg v http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx3322.gif

Referee: Gavin Badger

Team Notes:

Titans

- Jake Webster returns on the wing for Smith Samau

- Josh Lewis is named as 5/8th with Matt Hilder going to the bench.

Raiders

- Trevor Thruling is out of the Raiders side replaced by Ryan Hinchcliffe on a 19 man bench

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Richie Mathers
2. Mat Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Matt Hilder

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_11.gif
1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
2. DAVID MILNE
3. MARSHALL CHALK
4. ADRIAN PURTELL
5. BRONX GOODWIN
6. TERRY CAMPESE
7. MICHAEL DOBSON
8. SCOTT LOGAN
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. DANE TILSE
11. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
12. GLEN TURNER
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)

Interchange:

14. JOSH MILLER
15. TROY THOMPSON
16. BEN JONES
17. MICHAEL WEYMAN
18. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS
19. RYAN HINCHCLIFFE

Rage
29-05-07, 03:57 PM
titans to win

Social Loafer
29-05-07, 04:05 PM
19 man bench

That should ensure plenty of fresh legs :D

Raiders 1-12.

Boofhead
29-05-07, 04:21 PM
Titans 13+.

Coaster
29-05-07, 04:41 PM
This is a must win for us,

This is a big game!!!!

We win this we have the bye the week after, we will be sitting on 14 points, and most likely in the 8, and will have Preston and Walker, and O'Dwyer set to return

Social Loafer
29-05-07, 04:44 PM
Who's up for a signature bet?

Capital_Shark
29-05-07, 04:48 PM
That should ensure plenty of fresh legs :D

:laugh: Neil Henry is a genius!

Tough one to call seeing as fox hasn't replayed the Raiders game for me yet. Probably gonna lean toward the Titans though.

Ryan
29-05-07, 04:49 PM
Yeah righto, why not?

I couldn't be bothered making my own, so someone else can have a chop for me........ Any takers?

patskE
29-05-07, 04:55 PM
1. Richie Mathers
2. Mat Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince ?
8. Luke Bailey ?
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange

14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Mat Hilder

patskE
29-05-07, 04:56 PM
iam taking a punt n saying odwyer is 18th n will take bretts spot if he is able 2
would mind him in for swain but
maybe drop him for odwyer if delaney is fit

patskE
29-05-07, 04:58 PM
next week drop mathers(jsut needs more time)
walker for peterson depending on webster game on the weekend
can drop brett or matt, so i rkn move owdeyer to lock for swain

Social Loafer
29-05-07, 05:08 PM
14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Mat Hilder

Canberra can win this game off the bench if we go with the right combination..

Miller
Weyman
TLL
Hinchcliffe

TLL and Hinchcliffe coming in for Turner and Jones would give us 2 big blokes off the bench.. Miller also doesn't take a backwards step to no one.
Titans don't have that devastating big guy on the bench that can cause trouble for the defence. Kahler and Hodgson are better off as 2nd rowers IMO... Was only really an Elliott to thing to make Hodgo and to a lesser extent Kahler front rowers.

patskE
29-05-07, 05:45 PM
14. Kris Kahler
drop him plz imo

Coaster
29-05-07, 07:02 PM
Canberra can win this game off the bench if we go with the right combination..

Miller
Weyman
TLL
Hinchcliffe

TLL and Hinchcliffe coming in for Turner and Jones would give us 2 big blokes off the bench.. Miller also doesn't take a backwards step to no one.
Titans don't have that devastating big guy on the bench that can cause trouble for the defence. Kahler and Hodgson are better off as 2nd rowers IMO... Was only really an Elliott to thing to make Hodgo and to a lesser extent Kahler front rowers.

You guys are favorites!!

Which is a good thing for us, becuase whatever has been working so far for you, has been doing to well.

Big J
29-05-07, 07:25 PM
I never thought I would say this in a million years but I think the key could be how effectively we deal with Campese as well as Dobsons kicking game. I thought Campese was tremendous against the Dragons on the weekend and Dobsons kicking game is A1. Undoubtedly we will struggle to muscle up against the bigger raiders pack but I think if we play smart with plenty of 2 wide of the ruck plays and second phase from Laffranchi as well as limiting their halves attacking chances we can be sitting pretty after the bye.

Titans 1-12.

Titanium_BD1103
29-05-07, 07:36 PM
Referee is Gavin Badger... :)

Chaos
29-05-07, 07:48 PM
I say run our big forwards at Tongue.
I know he's a good defender and he makes about 40 tackles a game but he helps to many other defenders tackle.
He's not big...lets run straight at him and hit him one on one with a big shove, we could punch our nose through the line to start a role.

Costigan's got a few penalties he wants to give away...he's easy to bait and loves to bite...I'm sure Delaney will cop one for the team.

Capital_Shark
29-05-07, 07:58 PM
I say run our big forwards at Tongue.
I know he's a good defender and he makes about 40 tackles a game but he helps to many other defenders tackle.
He's not big...lets run straight at him and hit him one on one with a big shove, we could punch our nose through the line to start a role.

Costigan's got a few penalties he wants to give away...he's easy to bait and loves to bite...I'm sure Delaney will cop one for the team.

I'll agree with Costigan but I reckon the Tongue plan could backfire. Never underestimate a red nut.

Chaos
29-05-07, 08:05 PM
I'll agree with Costigan but I reckon the Tongue plan could backfire. Never underestimate a red nut.

How can it backfire?
You can't run away from him cause he loves to tackle...and if you do, you're just running straight into another defender who doesn't have to move.

Capital_Shark
29-05-07, 08:25 PM
How can it backfire?
You can't run away from him cause he loves to tackle...and if you do, you're just running straight into another defender who doesn't have to move.

He's a red nut mate, he'll fire up and be unstoppable. Not to mention the back breaking tackles - you don't want the injured list to read "Player Name - Indefinite (Quadriplegic)" in next weeks Big League.

Chaos
29-05-07, 08:43 PM
Capital Shark,
What's the go here...I gather your a sharks supporter with red hair, on a Titans forum and living in Canberra...Are you Arthur or Marther?

Capital_Shark
29-05-07, 08:49 PM
Capital Shark,
What's the go here...I gather your a sharks supporter with red hair, on a Titans forum and living in Canberra...Are you Arthur or Marther?

Sharks supporter on a titans forum living in Canberra all correct - not a red nut though.

Chaos
29-05-07, 08:52 PM
Sharks supporter on a titans forum living in Canberra all correct - not a red nut though.

I was close...you love fatty Vautin then?

Future Star
29-05-07, 08:53 PM
I was close...you love fatty Vautin then?

Fatty Vautin is the anti-christ!

Chaos
29-05-07, 08:58 PM
Fatty Vautin is the anti-christ!

Mate...you're going to end up as anti-matter if you don't get rid of that little guy running across your massages.

Capital_Shark
29-05-07, 08:59 PM
Mate...you're going to end up as anti-matter if you don't get rid of that little guy running across your massages.

Fatty - take him or leave him.

That quote however, I do like.

Social Loafer
29-05-07, 10:17 PM
Glad Kahler is on the bench this week. The signing of Lewis has drawn attention from his 5/8 qualities.

I'm looking forward to the Raiders playing their attacking footy on a warm dry track, we have only had 1 other day game this year..

Capital_Shark
29-05-07, 10:26 PM
Glad Kahler is on the bench this week. The signing of Lewis has drawn attention from his 5/8 qualities.

I'm looking forward to the Raiders playing their attacking footy on a warm dry track, we have only had 1 other day game this year..

All good points - especially the warm, dry track bit. The other day game of course they put 30 odd on the competition leaders, Manly.

Steve
30-05-07, 07:44 AM
With the weather we've been having lately, it could be a bit slippery, not the warm dry track you're hoping for.

Social Loafer
30-05-07, 10:11 AM
With the weather we've been having lately, it could be a bit slippery, not the warm dry track you're hoping for.

Ah well, I guess a slippery track could suit us as well as we have played a lot of games in those conditions. I'm predicting big games for Withers, Tongue and Goodwin.

Future Star
30-05-07, 07:49 PM
And Purtell.

Origin Bolter people, you heard it here first.

:test:

Capital_Shark
30-05-07, 08:52 PM
And Purtell.

Origin Bolter people, you heard it here first.

Provided you ignore Schifty and yourself mentioning it in the Origin thread, of course..

Tamwelg
30-05-07, 09:02 PM

Good call.

Tamwelg
30-05-07, 09:04 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Kahler's myself and I think he will struggle to keep his spot on the bench with a lot due back from injury after the bye. He isn't a bad player, but he is very predictable and doesn't have enough size.

Future Star
30-05-07, 09:17 PM
Provided you ignore Schifty and yourself mentioning it in the Origin thread, of course..

Well...

you heard on the titans forums first!

also, Withers For Emperor :test:
(read the Origin thread to know what im on about)

lonegull
31-05-07, 07:37 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Kahler's myself and I think he will struggle to keep his spot on the bench with a lot due back from injury after the bye. He isn't a bad player, but he is very predictable and doesn't have enough size.

cant agree more, he gets smashed everytime he runs, got a big heart though but lacks a bit of size and i dont think i have seen him offload yet

Steel Dragon
31-05-07, 11:19 PM
I think we should smack 'em, but you just never know with the Raiders. They're a reall Jeckyl and Hyde team.

Jason

patskE
01-06-07, 12:17 PM
Webster expecting kick test from Raiders

Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:18 PM

Gold Coast winger Jake Webster expects Canberra to launch an aerial assault on the Titans' back three in Sunday's NRL clash at Carrara.

The Titans have noted the resurgent Raiders have scored about half their tries from kicks this season and are preparing for an all-out attack from the boots of halves Terry Campese and Michael Dobson.

Webster said the pressure will be heaped on himself, fellow winger Matt Petersen and fullback Richie Mathers to handle any pinpoint kicks near their own line.

"They're scoring a lot of tries off their kicks so that puts the pressure on me, Richie and Matty P," the Kiwi international said.

"We've done a lot of video work this week and work out on the field and we're pretty confident we can defuse a lot of their kicks."

Dropped after the Titans' round-nine loss to Sydney Roosters on May 13, Webster is back in first-grade following a hamstring injury to his flatmate Smith Samau.

A wrist injury prevented Webster from playing for Ipswich in the Queensland Cup last week but he's prepared to deal with the pain to take on the Raiders, who are in seventh spot following back-to-back victories over Souths and St George Illawarra.

Asked what it was like to play for New Zealand in April and then get relegated to the state league, Webster replied: "It was tough but it was more a kick up the butt than a kick in the guts.

"I know that I'm good enough to be playing here and I've just got to get back to the form of last year (playing for Melbourne)."

Webster said he was more relaxed this week and enjoying training.

"My attitude around the place is a bit more positive and I'm starting to enjoy myself a bit more," the 23-year-old said.

"That's a big thing in my game - I have to enjoy myself.

"I was worrying too much about doing something wrong and then you don't want to back that up by doing something else wrong.

"You become very wary of what you do and how you do it.

"Now it's head down, bum up, work hard and just be positive in everything I do."

Titans centre Brett Delaney trained strongly on Thursday and showed no ill-effects from the concussion he suffered due to Jaiman Lowe's punch which earned the Rabbitohs prop a four-week suspension.

"He's pretty chirpy," said coach John Cartwright.

"He's only worried about his looks now so he'll be alright."
Source: AAP

patskE
01-06-07, 12:17 PM
Raiders have plenty to prove: Dobson

Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:36 PM

Pre-season wooden spoon favourites Canberra are sitting pretty in the NRL's top eight after eleven rounds, but halfback Michael Dobson says they still have plenty to prove to their doubters.

The Raiders have won three of their last four games to move to seventh spot, where they sit ahead of a stack of teams which were tipped to shine in 2007 including premiers Brisbane, the Bulldogs, Penrith and New Zealand Warriors.

But despite their early-season form, the Raiders are still well in the wooden spoon market - although St George Illawarra have firmed into favouritism for the dreaded gong.

And while Dobson, 21, believes the Raiders may not be getting the credit they deserve, he admits their form so far is nothing to crow about.

"People are going to have their opinions and we've just got to prove them wrong," Dobson said.

"But that comes with winning football games.

"We're very confident in our ability and not too worried about what other people say, so we'll just keep going about our own business.

"It's a bit of a boost (being in the top eight), but there is only four points between last and fourth so you can't get too complacent and you've got to keep winning week in, week out or you'll find yourself down the bottom of the ladder."

The Raiders were finally able to string back-to-back wins together with last Friday's 30-6 win over St George Illawarra following their round-nine win over Souths, and Dobson said maintaining consistency would be the key to the Raiders staying in the top eight.

"We had a lot of inconsistency early in the season so it was good to go back-to-back for the first time this year," Dobson said.

"But we've still got a lot of improvement to go if we want to keep winning ... there's a long way to go."

Dobson and 22-year-old five-eighth Terry Campese have been left to steer the Raiders around in the absence of Todd Carney, who this week was placed in rehabilitation by the club following his alleged involvement in a police pursuit two weeks ago.

While Dobson was disappointed to see Carney out of action, he also saw it as an opportunity to cement his place in the team.

"From a teammate point of view, I'd love to have him back in the team," said Dobson.

"But I suppose it gives me an opportunity to play.

"I got dropped to Premier League (three weeks ago against Souths) so I've got to take the opportunity now and hopefully, when he does come back, I can hold a spot in the team somewhere."
Source: AAP

patskE
01-06-07, 12:19 PM
Virus won't stop Rogers from facing the Raiders

Luke Turgeon

01Jun07

TITANS coach John Cartwright is confident star centre Mat Rogers can shake off a virus in time to be right for Sunday's match with the Canberra Raiders at Carrara.

Rogers lasted less than 20 minutes into the Titans field training session at Runaway Bay yesterday, leaving the pitch in obvious discomfort. But Cartwright was quick to pour cold water on fears surrounding his fitness.

"He is all right," said Cartwright. "He will play.

"It is just a bit of flu."

The loss of Rogers would be a big blow to the Titans backline, with the dual international in sizzling form so far this season.

Homegrown Titan Luke O'Dwyer trained in Rogers' place yesterday, showing he was not far off a return to first grade after being sidelined for the past three months with an ankle injury.

Fellow centre Brett Delaney cruised through the training run, confirming he would line-up against the Raiders despite suffering concussion and a gash to his upper lip after being king hit by Souths forward Jaiman Lowe last Saturday.

"He (Delaney) is only worried about his looks now, so his brain must be all right," quipped Cartwright.

He said he was wary of the young Raiders side and would not be taking them lightly. Tipped to take the wooden spoon at the start of the year, Canberra have surprised many of their critics to sit seventh on the NRL ladder after 11 rounds.

The Titans are currently 11th.

"I watched those guys every week (last year) and that is probably why I am not surprised at all," said Cartwright.

"Just because we don't see their names in the paper every week, you probably tend to think they can't win games. But they are good quality young players."

Cartwright called for another bumper crowd at Gold Coast Stadium, following last week's win over Souths.

The Titans have had more than 17,000 spectators at each of their home games so far this season.

"It is always good coming off a win," said Cartwright.

"We are coming off a hard patch there after losing three in a row.

"The crowd at Carrara have been great for us and really helped us lift in areas of our game that we were struggling a bit."

qld power
03-06-07, 03:09 PM
the raiders are going well 28-0 down at half time
peterson 2 lewis rogers webster tries rogers 4/5

Coaster
03-06-07, 03:54 PM
That second half was the worst half of football i have seen.

Defensivly we were great, but Kahler really needs to have a long look at himself, His nickname should be Mountain, becuase he just doesnt move, unless its backwards.

Great first half, less said about the second the better, but we did what we needed to do, and thats win the game.

Social Loafer
03-06-07, 04:03 PM
Good old inconsistent Raiders, let's play like tripe in the first half and give a 28 point start... 2nd half was woeful but at least we didn't do a Newcastle

We had enough ball to score 5 tries in that second half, but we really really really missed Todd Carney...

Ryan
03-06-07, 04:17 PM

Defensivly we were great, but Kahler really needs to have a long look at himself, His nickname should be Mountain, becuase he just doesnt move, unless its backwards.

Great first half, less said about the second the better, but we did what we needed to do, and thats win the game.

Couldn't agree more......

Yeah righto, why not?
You gonna be sporting a new sig next week?:D

Rage
03-06-07, 04:54 PM
titans finally back in top 8 and rightfully so :D

Social Loafer
03-06-07, 05:07 PM
Couldn't agree more......

You gonna be sporting a new sig next week?:D

Choose a picture :D

Ryan
03-06-07, 05:19 PM

Give me 24hrs, now I have to make one......:rolleyes:

Capital_Shark
03-06-07, 05:40 PM
Bugger it. Bloody Raiders. Bloody Gavin Badger too, how bad is this twit?!

I don't think Campese to centre in replacement of Purtell was the right move. Then to back it up with moving Withers from hooker to 5/8 was a compound error. For the hat trick - revolving dummy halves, too inconsistent for the runners. Apparently the Raiders only tripped up on Saturday, don't see why they couldn't have grabbed a replacement centre. I think they could have benefited from a couple more days preparation on the GC, but I understand you don't want to let a footy team (from Canberra of all places) lose on a party Mecca - especially some of the more 'troubled' members.

Obviously Raiders got off to a shocking start and it was always gonna be near impossible to get back, but honestly for that first 15 minutes with some of the calls I wouldn't have been surprised if someone told me DIEHARD and DeeGan were running the lines. It did even out to just rubbish both ways after that though.

RLfan
03-06-07, 06:43 PM
All refs apart from Ben Cummins & De Le Heras are rubbish in my opinion. Archer and Badger would be the worst.

I was enjoying the first half with the titans, but that 2nd half geez. Josh Lewis has been a great pick up too, really helping Princey out on the park. I also thought Cooper played well again.

Ryan
03-06-07, 06:45 PM

Will this do? :laugh:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/RD012/howard_john.jpg

Do the 'sig betting rules' specify what type of sig you have to use? :D

Coaster
03-06-07, 06:45 PM
All refs apart from Ben Cummins & De Le Heras are rubbish in my opinion.

Did i read that wrong?

Capital_Shark
03-06-07, 06:51 PM
All refs apart from Ben Cummins & De Le Heras are rubbish in my opinion.

Cummins I can agree with but De Le Heras had a shocker in Gosford last night.

Steve
03-06-07, 07:16 PM
Couldn't have been happier with the first half, but that second was a shocker.
Lucky the defence held on.

Gotta say, Zillman is slow for a fullback.
When he made that bust, even Swain was making ground on him.

Caps a good weekend for me.
Titans and Panthers wins.
Broncos and Roosters loses.

It don't get any better than that. :D

RLfan
03-06-07, 07:18 PM
I agree De La Heras had a shocker in Gosford but he is a good ref generally in the games I see. Ben Cummins is so far ahead of every other ref though, it is not funny.

travop
03-06-07, 08:31 PM
hey who had the huge blue white and yellow flag at the game today?????

Tamwelg
03-06-07, 09:03 PM

Sure was, we made way to many mistakes and gave away too much ground.

Lucky we had a blinder of a first half and wrapped the game up.

Doesn't matter how or by how many a win is a win :D

Tamwelg
03-06-07, 09:04 PM
De Le Heras had a shocker in Gosford last night.

and the week prior.

Capital_Shark
03-06-07, 09:24 PM
hey who had the huge blue white and yellow flag at the game today?????

Sounds like DIEHARD

patskE
04-06-07, 01:12 AM
Gotta say, Zillman is slow for a fullback.
When he made that bust, even Swain was making ground on him.

tbh man his faster then mathers...
thats 1 bad thing about his game, i havnt seen him in open field yet but by the way he runs the ball out n ****, dont look that fast at all
few times in the game if he did a in n away he could of got on the outside of the chase's, which he did try to but not enough past

u dont have to be fast to be good
zilly is a good fullback still young n finding his feet but knows how to score

DIEHARD
04-06-07, 11:21 AM
Sounds like DIEHARD

Nah actually for once it wasn't. I was running so late I didn't bother bringing my pole, I was lucky to even make the game.

That flag is C-Whiz's and it's a beauty, so we have two now. :D

patskE
04-06-07, 12:59 PM
pics?
anyone have any banners these days?
if so wat they say?

Social Loafer
04-06-07, 01:04 PM
Will this do? :laugh:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/RD012/howard_john.jpg

Do the 'sig betting rules' specify what type of sig you have to use? :D

I was assuming it would be a titans one :laugh:

Anyway I'll use that pic, even though it is almost as bad as having a Brett Finch picture there :nope:

p.s. Did you browse my myspace to get an idea on something I would totally hate? :laugh:

Ryan
04-06-07, 06:11 PM

Anyway I'll use that pic, even though it is almost as bad as having a Brett Finch picture there :nope:

p.s. Did you browse my myspace to get an idea on something I would totally hate? :laugh:

Your a good sport :laugh:
Brand new computer atm, haven't loaded many programs on yet so I couldn't make a Titans one. I noticed your backing Rudd, so I googled a pic of 'J-Ho' :p
Just had a quick sqiz at yourspace, love the cheerleader, will look in detail later........

Titanium_BD1103
04-06-07, 07:43 PM
What can we say about this game but good to get two points... :)

I can't believe I am saying this, but we need to go back to basics this week... the boys struggled to catch the ball and complete sets, the simple things that win games in that second half...it wasn't great to watch at all.

I was very happy to see us capitalise on the mistakes Canberra made and Prince is a legend, he kept us in the game and gave us that win with some very smart play.

I reckon Bailey showed yesterday why he should be in SOO2, he was dominant again and gave his all, you can't ask for anymore than that and Lewis was impressive.

Shame for Meyers, hate to see a player out with injury for the season.

Not much else to say, glad we got two points, plenty to work on over the next two weeks and hopefully we can come back firing and showing that great Titans spirit... :D :D

C-Whiz
05-06-07, 07:43 PM

Surely you could simply cut and paste the "kick the ....... out of Canberra" from one sig to the other and it would all make sense! :)

travop
07-06-07, 04:35 PM
That flag is C-Whiz's and it's a beauty, so we have two now. :D

ohh dammit
i should of came up and intrduced my self but then i agian i didnt wanna freak u out
well anyways if u saw a guy bout 180 cm tall wif a shortish lookin guy while u were at the bar well that was me

DIEHARD
15-06-07, 04:48 PM
ohh dammit
i should of came up and intrduced my self but then i agian i didnt wanna freak u out
well anyways if u saw a guy bout 180 cm tall wif a shortish lookin guy while u were at the bar well that was me

We are all gonna have to meet up at the next game. We'll exchange mobile numbers so we can zero in on each other.

travop
17-06-07, 04:33 PM
alrighty
im goin to da broncos titans game ill have my two other mates wif me