PDA

View Full Version : Dragons may pay for Luke to go

Grimmace
28-05-07, 12:11 AM
Dragons may pay for Luke to go
May 27, 2007 12:00

ST GEORGE Illawarra may be about to pay another player to leave, with winger Luke MacDougall considering a mid-season switch tojoin brother Adam at Newcastle.

Hot on the heels of news thatthe Dragons are still paying former captain Trent Barrett while he plays for Wigan comes the latest attempt by the joint venture tofree up salary cap space.

Meanwhile, MacDougall, 25, could sign with the Knights as soon as today.

"It's difficult for me to comment on that one,'' said MacDougall's agent, George Mimis.

"He's contracted until the end of 2008 soI think it would be better forthe club to comment on that one. I'm not really in a position to say anything.'' But Knights acting CEO Steve Crowe said:

"We certainly haven't made an offer to Luke ... ''

It is uncertain if the Dragons would continue to pay MacDougall if he followed the lead of Sydney Roosters' Josh Lewis, who has joined Gold Coast, in changing clubs mid-season.

He has previously played with Cronulla and South Sydney.

The Knights have already turned down the chance to sign a third MacDougall, Scottish rugby star Ben, after his contract with the 15-man game expired.

Source: Sunday Telegraph

Steelers
28-05-07, 12:40 AM
Why the hell should we pay for him if he isn't playing for us? And why are we still paying for Baz? He decided to go and earn some big bucks in England, so why in the world are we paying for him to play this season when he isn't even playing for us? It doesn't make any sense, seems like management are throwing money away, alot like we are throwing games away.

Hoppy2007Dragons
28-05-07, 08:52 AM
Don't pay luke and grant him a release i say, hes been playing very poorly and with the young talent coming through i doubt he will play for us this season again.

Social Loafer
28-05-07, 10:45 AM
Why the hell should we pay for him if he isn't playing for us? And why are we still paying for Baz?.

Because as stupid as it is, you still have to honour the difference in his contract, now when a player is forced out due to salary cap it is fair enough, but when it is just piss poor attitude they shouldn't get a cent from the club...

Anyway say he was signed for 200k a year and signs with the Knights for 125k,you would still have to pay 75k a year to top up the contract... I remember at one point Todd Payten was getting paid by the Tigers, Roosters and Raiders.

Hoppy2007Dragons
28-05-07, 11:42 AM
Because as stupid as it is, you still have to honour the difference in his contract, now when a player is forced out due to salary cap it is fair enough, but when it is just piss poor attitude they shouldn't get a cent from the club...

Now in the case of luke i think it is the latter, Saints are struggling and he is unalbe to crack the side due to the promising young talent in nightingale, stanley, lulia and the morris twins. So he wants out.

But ur dead right schifty, with why were paying players.