PDA

View Full Version : Defence

Coaster
21-05-07, 09:17 PM
Why has our defence dropped so much in the last few weeks?

The biggest shining light of the Titans has been our defence, and it seems to be slipping quickly. I felt confident in the first few games that we could hold a team out on our try line, and the last 2 games we have opened up quicker than a cold beer on a hot day.

After watching our feeder clubs play on the weekend where the score was 44-40 or something i have started to get worried there is a bigger problem then just bad execution on the gameday.

Are we concentrating to much on the "wrestle" and not enough on good old fashion speed and determination?

Tamwelg
21-05-07, 09:48 PM
Good point

After the first few round I commenting to my dad how solid we looked in defence, but I have also noticed a dramatic drop over the pat few weeks. We had 58 missed tackles in Friday nights games and that's not good enough to be competitive in the NRL.

patskE
21-05-07, 10:52 PM
yeh teams are getting very quick trys vs us
manly, dragons, then it screws with ur mind set

DIEHARD
22-05-07, 12:30 AM
I have to agree, defence has been our corner stone. Which has really dropped off in the last weeks. We can't let them in for soft and easy tries.

I think we will see a marked improvement this weekend against Souths.

Big J
22-05-07, 12:26 PM
I don't think i am at the stage where I am questioning our committment in defense just yet but it is more obvious now then ever before that we simply can not match sides in the forwards especially without Bailey. Yes Minichiello and Laffranchi are playing well, Stosic when fully match fit could be an influence, Cooper has found his role running hard out wide and Meyers is as solid as ever but when faced with a pack containing big boppas like Danny Wicks or Mark O'Meley we are made to look very second rate. Wicks, Sims, Creagh were all making 7-8 metres per hit up before being confronted by our defence and then they carried us an extra 5 just for good measure AND got away a quick play the ball. I don't care how good your goal line defense is or has been, when you allow huge packs to get on a roll with good metres and quick play the balls blokes like Matthew Head then have a very easy job. Until we can inject not only a few bigger forwards but some forwards with agro like a Costigan or a Webb then our defense may continue to be questionable because we simply can not stamp any authority on a game.

Steve
22-05-07, 01:40 PM
Like our attack is lacking a lot without Campbell, our defence lacked sting without Bailey.

Laffranchi gets through a mountain of work, but that probably doesn't lift the team like Bailey has been.

Hopefully Gilly will be giving them a good workout this week and we'll see some stronger defence against the bunnies. Because we'll need it!

ozynorts
22-05-07, 09:22 PM
I don't think i am at the stage where I am questioning our committment in defense just yet but it is more obvious now then ever before that we simply can not match sides in the forwards especially without Bailey. Yes Minichiello and Laffranchi are playing well, Stosic when fully match fit could be an influence, Cooper has found his role running hard out wide and Meyers is as solid as ever but when faced with a pack containing big boppas like Danny Wicks or Mark O'Meley we are made to look very second rate. Wicks, Sims, Creagh were all making 7-8 metres per hit up before being confronted by our defence and then they carried us an extra 5 just for good measure AND got away a quick play the ball. I don't care how good your goal line defense is or has been, when you allow huge packs to get on a roll with good metres and quick play the balls blokes like Matthew Head then have a very easy job. Until we can inject not only a few bigger forwards but some forwards with agro like a Costigan or a Webb then our defense may continue to be questionable because we simply can not stamp any authority on a game.
spot on!!! now more than ever another big boppa would be a huge help. when bailey is away we don't have a leader in the forwards. a player that can lead the way with big hitup's and punishing defence.