View Full Version : Round 11: Brisbane Broncos vs Newcastle Knights

Queenslander
21-05-07, 12:29 PM
Brisbane Broncos vs Newcastle Knights
Suncorp Stadium, Sunday 27th May; 2:00PM

Referee: Ben Cummins

Team Notes:

Broncos

Bennett has reshuffled his back-line with Darius Boys moving into the centres, Brent Tate going into the wing and Ennis at half.
Knights
Brian Smith has named an extended side to face Brisbane this Sunday at Suncorp Stadium, preparing for the possibility of Origin players Kurt Gidley, Jarrod Mullen, Danny Buderus and Steve Simpson being injured in Wednesday night's opener.http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_03.gif

1 Karmichael Hunt
2 Steve Michaels
3 David Stagg
4 Justin Hodges
5 Darius Boyd
6 Darren Lockyer (c)
7 Shane Perry
8 Dane Carlaw
9 Shaun Berrigan
10 Petero Civoniceva
11 Tonie Carroll
12 Brad Thorn
13 Greg Eastwood
Interchange:

14 Joel Moon
15 Ben Hannant
16 Mick Ennis
17 Corey Parker
18 Denan Kemp
19 Brent Tate

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_08.gif
1. Kurt Gidley
2. James McManus
3. Adam MacDougall
4. Brad Tighe
5. Stephen Gordon
6. Marvin Karawana
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Josh Perry
9. Danny Buderus
10. Clint Newton
11. Steve Simpson
12. Mark Taufua
13. Kirk ReynoldsonInterchange:
14. Michael Young
15. Cory Paterson
16. Kade Snowden
17. Adam Woolnough
18. Daniel Tolar
19. Riley Brown

Queenslander
22-05-07, 01:35 PM
Newcastle has named their squad and it can be found in the first post

Queenslander
26-05-07, 02:40 PM
Ennis to play at halfback for Broncos

Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Coach Wayne Bennett has turned to scrum utility Michael Ennis as a last resort to solve Brisbane's halfback headache against Newcastle on Sunday.

Ennis suffered a major knee injury last season and has taken time to find form and confidence but Bennett thinks he's ready to tackle the No.7 duties and take some pressure off skipper Darren Lockyer.

Bennett has used a number of players at halfback this season including Test and Origin fullback Karmichael Hunt, Shane Perry, who played in last year's grand final, youngster Joel Moon and even Lockyer.

He's allowed Ennis to find his feet off the bench and starting at hooker, but Sunday's assignment against rookie NSW Origin half Jarrod Mullen is a chance to grab a permanent starting spot.

"I just think he can bring some things to us that we probably need right now," said Bennett, who said his Origin players had come back in great condition after a few days rest.

Bennett has reshuffled his back-line with Darius Boys moving into the centres, Brent Tate going into the wing and Ennis at half.

"Michael is a good organiser, a good talker and he played all his junior football at half.

"He's got a good kicking game and defensively his sound. It's all designed to get a bit of pressure off Darren (Lockyer) if we can."

Bennett said Ennis had started the season poorly which was to be expected following a knee reconstruction.

He played him at half late in Monday night's loss to Manly and liked what he saw.

"I realised the game was lost and I put him in at half and saw some things I liked at different stages and I thought 'we've got to do something' so he gets a chance," Bennett said.

"He's a talker, a communicator and an organiser which is all part of that role."

Asked if it could be permanent, Bennett said "I'm sick of making the temporary ones".

With three wins from 10 games two points on Sunday is critical for Brisbane but Bennett again dismissed concerns about the Broncos form.

"We're not out for form, which is pretty important," he said.

"Sometimes you're battling different demons but this is not a football team that is out of form if you look at the performances of the 17 guys who are going to go out and play tomorrow."

Ben Hannant's strong performance starting against Manly has earned him another start against the Knights.

"I'd never realised that last week was the first time he's ever started for us in his NRL," said Bennett.

"He had a wonderful game for us in Sydney and we need some momentum so I'm trying to keep it going."
Source: AAP

Robbie_Dee
27-05-07, 03:49 PM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRONCOS - 65
Knights - 6

That is insane!!!!!

Robbie_Dee
27-05-07, 03:50 PM
wait a minute...that was the score in the 79th minute! FINAL SCORE:

71 - 6!!!!!!!!

Social Loafer
27-05-07, 03:51 PM
Lmao.

Coaster
27-05-07, 03:56 PM
That was a dead set hiding.

Believe it or not, i dont think Brisbane played that well, they played well, but not 71 points well. They have heaps of improvement left

Wow what a flogging

Robbie_Dee
27-05-07, 03:59 PM
That was a dead set hiding.

Believe it or not, i dont think Brisbane played that well, they played well, but not 71 points well. They have heaps of improvement left

Wow what a floggingThats not saying much for the knights then! omg i thought that origin would bring some new life into the broncos, but not that much!!!! Jeez that is a spanking and a half!

Social Loafer
27-05-07, 04:00 PM
Mullen must be feeling great now........

DIEHARD
27-05-07, 04:11 PM
Wow I just got done watching that game on Fox Sports, stunning.

A club record win for the Broncos and a club record THRASHING for the Knights.

A good crowd considering as well at 27k.

Ryan
27-05-07, 04:49 PM
Ha ha, theres one for the critics.

DIEHARD
27-05-07, 04:57 PM
The match also highlights how extremely bad the Reds were when they got thrashed by 90 points.

hugebrianfan
27-05-07, 05:17 PM
wait a minute...that was the score in the 79th minute! FINAL SCORE:

71 - 6!!!!!!!!

OMG are you serious?? 71-6?

Capital_Shark
27-05-07, 05:38 PM
My multi bet this week was Cowboys, Raiders, Titans and Broncos at $9.02 - After the first 3 got up and since I missed the Broncos game, I was hoping they hadn't let me down. They certainly didn't.

Have to wait till I see the replay to comment, but I couldn't see the Knights traveling too well without Buderus and Gidley.

RLfan
27-05-07, 06:44 PM
71-6!!!!!!!!! We are coming back....hopefully. My Broncos (& Titans too) wow, and some people in my tipping comp took the Knights. Stupid me I only had the broncos at 18 points in my margian betting, should have had 65.

Also this is 5 games in a row that we have had an odd number score in a game. (and 6 if we count Origin)
Also glad the Cowboys won. All 4 QLD teams, good week.

Steelers
27-05-07, 07:34 PM
Good effort by the Broncos, but it was against very substandard opposition. Oh and one good match doesn't make up for 10 weeks of p!ss poor form ;)

Chaos
27-05-07, 07:43 PM
My multi bet this week was Cowboys, Raiders, Titans and Broncos at $9.02 - After the first 3 got up and since I missed the Broncos game, I was hoping they hadn't let me down. They certainly didn't.

Have to wait till I see the replay to comment, but I couldn't see the Knights traveling too well without Buderus and Gidley.

Nice bet Sharkey...I had a similar multi but had Tigers instead of the Cowboys.

Picking the Broncos this weekend in the footy tipping was the first tip all year where I was totally confident of getting the points.
The final result showed why.

Tamwelg
27-05-07, 08:44 PM
WOW

what a score line, it's about time they started playing.

J-Storm
27-05-07, 11:14 PM
Good effort by the Broncos, but it was against very substandard opposition. Oh and one good match doesn't make up for 10 weeks of p!ss poor form ;)

Wasn't that substandard in the 1st half, the Broncs jus' made them tackle & tackle & tackle, the Knights were never gonna compete properly in attack being so tired. And while it doesn't make up for the Broncs slow start, it could lead to a streak a'la Wests-'05...

And Ennis played pretty DAMN well I thought at HB. If I was playing the Broncs in the next few weeks, & I'm jus' ahead o' them on the ladder atm, I'd have 1 eye over my shoulder watching them...

RLfan
28-05-07, 07:48 AM
Yep I think Ennis should play halfback on Friday as well. I hope he makes the spot his.

Queenslander
28-05-07, 09:27 AM

A dragon fan should know that ;)

This win won't solve the fact that the broncos have been playing poor. Only a time machine can solve that. If this game can be a catalyst for the Broncos 07 campaign than things are looking up.

Besides I was disappointed with the Broncos yesterday....they could have got to 100 :laugh:

hugebrianfan
28-05-07, 09:57 AM
I was devastaded about the knights loss...im still getting over it:(

Capital_Shark
28-05-07, 10:56 AM
I was devastaded about the knights loss...im still getting over it:(

With Gidley out for 12 weeks and Mullen going for scans or something today, I'd suggest getting used to it, rather than over it.

Queenslander
28-05-07, 12:26 PM
With Gidley out for 12 weeks and Mullen going for scans or something today, I'd suggest getting used to it, rather than over it.

Yeah the Knights are looking like a sad bunch now. Most teams would not be worried when the Roosters are you next opponent however I expect that they will be very very scared....

Capital_Shark
28-05-07, 01:04 PM
Yeah the Knights are looking like a sad bunch now. Most teams would not be worried when the Roosters are you next opponent however I expect that they will be very very scared....

I was worried about the chooks. Only cause I know my teams uncanny ability to shoot themselves in the foot. Makes Knights v Roosters a tough one to pick.

hugebrianfan
28-05-07, 01:11 PM
I was worried about the chooks. Only cause I know my teams uncanny ability to shoot themselves in the foot. Makes Knights v Roosters a tough one to pick.

yeah its scarey..but i will stick to the knights

RLfan
28-05-07, 02:37 PM
At least you are a true fan. Do Knights get there players back for next week.

hugebrianfan
28-05-07, 03:01 PM
At least you are a true fan. Do Knights get there players back for next week.

yeah im a loyal fan..even if they lose every game i will still love them..i will never go for another team :):)