PDA

View Full Version : Round 11: Gold Coast Titans vs South Sydney Rabbitohs

DIEHARD
20-05-07, 03:39 PM
Gold Coast Titans vs South Sydney Rabbitohs
Gold Coast Stadium. Saturday 26th May; 7:30pm

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg v http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx15369.jpg

Tickets - http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TITANGC07&searchId=3e4062b4-6a11-4d6b-a078-6c55cb27e715

Referee: Tony De Las Heras

Team Notes:

Titans

Luke Baily returns after Origin duty, Clint Amos is suspended and Preston Campbell is still out due to injury.

New signing Josh Lewis gets a run this week
Rabbitohs

Reece Simmonds will line up at fullback with Paul Mellor returning to the wing. Scott Geddes has been named as 18th man.
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Richie Mathers
2. Matt Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince ?
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. James Stosic
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain
Interchange:

14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Josh Lewis
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_10.gif

1. Reece Simmonds
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Shannon Hegarty
5. Paul Mellor
6. Jeremy Smith
7. Joe Williams
8. Peter Cusack (c)
9. Daniel Irvine
10. Roy Asotasi (c)
11. Luke Stuart
12. David Fa?alogo
13. Dean Widders
Interchange:

14. Shane Rigon
15. Joe Galuvao
16. Manase Manuokafoa
17. Jaiman Lowe
18. Scott Geddes

Queenslander
22-05-07, 01:30 PM
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Richie Mathers
2. Matt Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince ?
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. James Stosic
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain
Interchange:

14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Josh Lewis

Steve
22-05-07, 01:42 PM
Is Meyers injured, or relegated to the Qld Cup?

Good to see Lewis is going to get a run. I'm happy for him to start on the bench, build him up to getting used to the team, and could come on to add impact.
If Hilder moves to lock and Lewis into 6, Hilder can still take some pressure off with kicking, leaving Prince and Lewis to attack the line and put runners through.

patskE
22-05-07, 01:54 PM
Meyers > kahlar tbh lol
i wnana see friend play 80 min's, when lewis goes on slot hilder to the pack
i want webster bak :( i rkn its unfair to drop him he wasnt playing poorly just didnt do anything special :(

Steve
22-05-07, 02:03 PM
i want webster bak :( i rkn its unfair to drop him he wasnt playing poorly just didnt do anything special :(

He wasn't putting effort in though. In pressure situations he was jogging back for the ball. Hopefully a stint in the Qld Cup will give him a bit of hunger and desire, because he IS a great player.

Coaster
22-05-07, 02:20 PM
Thats a good side!!

Any idea on time for Presto and Walker?

Tamwelg
22-05-07, 03:50 PM

I haven't heard or read anything about him being injured, so I'd take a guess at QLD cup. He doesn't really have the sting he used to.

Good to see Lewis is going to get a run. I'm happy for him to start on the bench, build him up to getting used to the team, and could come on to add impact.
If Hilder moves to lock and Lewis into 6, Hilder can still take some pressure off with kicking, leaving Prince and Lewis to attack the line and put runners through.

Yep, I'm happy with him starting on the bench as well. I can't wait to see him play though.

TITAN FOREVER
22-05-07, 04:30 PM
Looks a winning side to me. Going to be interesting to see. Good luck Fellas.:)

Tamwelg
22-05-07, 06:11 PM

Heard on the news that he has a hamstring injury.

Hoppy2007Dragons
22-05-07, 06:13 PM
Wheres peachey???

The titans should fire up for this game and souths will be a little scrathcy after the bye and losses from prior to this bye.

Titans by 14.

Big J
23-05-07, 11:53 AM
Don't mind this side at all. When Friend goes off for a blow Hilder moves to hooker and Lewis slots in at 5/8. Unfortunate for Meyers but Stosic is a more then capable replacement. Any danger of us having a fully fit pack? Apart from Henderson of course.

patskE
23-05-07, 01:38 PM
didnt friend come here wanting to be a 80 min player? i say when lewis comes on, put him on for a 2nd rower n slot hilder in there with lewis 5/8 n friend still hooker, we still need the go forward friend/amos offers

Big J
23-05-07, 01:50 PM
That is a distinct possibility but the reason I said that was because Amos is taking a liitle holiday for the next 2 weeks and I think Friend is a much more dangerous player when he has a spell or two throughout the game.

TITAN FOREVER
23-05-07, 03:00 PM
Think Hilders utility skills will come in handy for next couple of weeks with Amos out. Whats the go with Laffrani and court case??

Social Loafer
23-05-07, 03:18 PM
Souths Couldn't score in a brothel,

Titans by 13+

Rage
23-05-07, 03:25 PM
Thats a good side!!

Any idea on time for Presto and Walker?

Prestons back in round 12

is it a mistake or is Luke Bailey not co captain anymore

Tamwelg
23-05-07, 05:28 PM
Whats the go with Laffrani and court case??

Old news, it's in another thread that is closed until we have an outcome.

patskE
24-05-07, 12:09 PM
souths have the forwards to run over us but nothing in the backs
if we spread it n shizzle, put some plays on should score easy
gubber at mellor he old n find it hard to bend down
u guys remember souths 1st game i think, went right pass him casue he couldnt bend over in time to pick it up lead to a try
latter on that much got pulled off for back trouble, just keep testing him

Capital_Shark
24-05-07, 11:46 PM
The next 2 weeks is the opportunity for the Titans to get their season back on track with the Rabbits and Raiders at home leading into the bye. If they pull off a win this weekend, take the confidence into the Raiders game and knuckle down and prepare for the 2nd half of the season with the weekend off, they'll be looking good. First off though they need a clinical 80 minute display against Souths. Anything less and the top 8 will looking quiet a way off.

Titans 13+

Tamwelg
26-05-07, 08:16 AM
Source: www.gcbulletin.com.au

Lewis gets chance to claim No.6 jersey

Luke Turgeon

26May07

FUTURE Titans five-eighth Josh Lewis has backed himself to 'make an impact' when he makes his NRL debut against Souths at Carrara tonight and stake his claim for the No.6 jumper.

The 21-year-old is tipped to start the match at five-eighth in No.17, less than two weeks after arriving on the Coast following his mid-season split with the Sydney Roosters.

Regarded by the Titans as the man to add much needed attacking spark to the backline, Lewis is confident he can live up to the hype.

"Hopefully I make an impact," he said. "I am a confident guy.

"I love playing first grade and I love being out there.

"I will give it my best shot."

Incumbent pivot Matt Hilder has been solid for the Titans but as a natural backrower/hooker, was never considered a long-term solution outside Scott Prince.

The Titans had been hunting a new five-eighth for next season since the early rounds, before Lewis approached the club at the start of this month after being demoted to premier league with the Roosters.

Lewis played 11 NRL games under Ricky Stuart last season before new Roosters coach Chris Anderson forced him to the outer in favour of 18-year-old whiz kid Mitchell Pearce this year.

"I came up here for an opportunity and hopefully I play a good game this week," said Lewis.

"A big reason I left was I wasn't enjoying myself. I am just looking for a fresh start I guess."

All eyes will be on Lewis when the cloak is lifted tonight, giving Gold Coast fans their first real glimpse of the Titans new recruit.

He comes into the side at a tough time, with the Titans on a three-match losing streak and looking to get their season back on track with a win over the Rabbitohs.

"I will try and help Princey (halfback Scott Prince) out with the kicking game, hopefully that will help us out a bit.

"It would be good to play outside Princey and get a combination going and hopefully I can make No.6 my own."

Cartwright will make the final call on whether Hilder or Lewis will start today.

"You can't expect too much, he has only had half a dozen training sessions with us," said Cartwright.

Supergoose
26-05-07, 02:58 PM
Saw news report that suggest big red Brad Meyers will be starting tonight. I hope this doesn't mean Stosic has been dropped from the side but rather Hodgson.

Tamwelg
26-05-07, 03:17 PM
Saw news report that suggest big red Brad Meyers will be starting tonight. I hope this doesn't mean Stosic has been dropped from the side but rather Hodgson.

I can't see them dropping Stosic.

Robbie_Dee
26-05-07, 06:13 PM
i was listening to the coverage of storm/manly game, and during half time they said Meyers was going to play tonight.

Robbie_Dee
26-05-07, 06:44 PM
MARK MINICHIELLO IN ALREADY!!!!!! ROGERS CONVERTS!! after 4 minutes!!!!

Titans - 6
Souths - 0

Robbie_Dee
26-05-07, 06:55 PM
Jeremy Smith in for Souths, Joe Williams converts...

Titans - 6
Souths - 6

15 minutes in!

Queenslander
26-05-07, 08:26 PM
Another Titan Victory

Gold Coast Titans 25
Tries: Mark Minichiello, Brett Delaney, Scott Prince (2)
Goals: Mat Rogers (4/4)
Field Goal: Josh Lewis
South Sydney Rabbitohs 18
Tries: Jeremy Smith, Fetuli Talanoa, Reece Simmonds
Goals: Joe Williams (3/3)

Rage
26-05-07, 08:28 PM
titans are back

patskE
26-05-07, 09:06 PM
Josh Lewis was a good buy

Social Loafer
26-05-07, 09:08 PM
The South Sydney Slide continues..

Congratulations to the Titans, sets up a very interesting clash against Canberra who have won 3 of their last 4 as well as their last 2 on the road....

Parra Petty
26-05-07, 10:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I really enjoyed that game, and I can tell you that Jason Taylor was pretty emotional in the press conference after the match!

I think coach Cartwright has finally found the perfect foil to the attack of Scott Prince, with Josh Lewis not wasting anytime in slotting into the Titans backline with ease.

I will be interesting what 'Carty' will do when Campbell is fit and ready to return, with Mathers solid and mistake free, without being flashy.

Anyway, to find out why Taylor is steaming, click on the below link -

http://www.league.net.au/titans-victory-marred-by-send-off/

Cheers,

Parra Petty

patskE
26-05-07, 11:02 PM
unless mathers does something n the next games i think presto will go back to number 1

Titanium_BD1103
27-05-07, 08:24 AM
Well done to the boys that was a great victory... which I got to watch as I was at the pub last night... :)

Josh Lewis looked good, I like him in the backline and I think Hilder might struggle to keep the 6 if he keeps that up... it wonders how he wasn't playing in the Roosters FG side... then again, it is the Roosters.. :p

Scott Prince was simply brilliant, superb performance from him, had the troops playing as a team last night and executed brilliantly.

I was pleased to see the boys play as a team, that is how we will win matches... not the best side individually but as a team, we can achieve anything.

This is a good sign, it was only one win, but there were plenty of positives from it, and adding to those was Rogers back to his best.... lets hope it can continue, because we aren't too far away from top 5, and we can make it if we can get some consistency.

As for Jaiman Lowe, that was LOW.... and he deserves to get a fair amount of time for it, Delaney wasn't grabbing at the jatz on purpose and Lowe had no right to throw a punch for it... if Danny Williams gets time for his, I agree with Scotty on this one, Jaiman had a brain explosion, but he will have to do some similar time.

RLfan
27-05-07, 09:06 AM
Josh Lewis looked alright in lat night's match. Scotty Prince was brilliant in the 2nd half. Can someone tell me how Jeremy Smith was given a try, he never grounded with his torso, he grounded it with his dick. Hopefully Broncos win today and make it 4 in a row for QLD.

Steve
27-05-07, 12:10 PM
Huzzah for the win!
I enjoyed the game, but thought it was a little flat for a while, neither team really doing anything with the ball.

The first bunnies try, well, not even the bunny supporters around me thought it was one.

Lewis had a great first game for us, looks like he'll be making the 6 his own.
Can't wait for Preston to be back in the 1, should be a lot of points coming through with him back in the side.

dee13
27-05-07, 12:18 PM
Hey there guys,

Im back,

I must apologise for my absence from the game last night. I hope the Legion coped without me and my swords.

I was a little busy last night. You know... normal stuff like, Went to the P!NK concert and proposed to my girlfriend just as P!nk was coming on stage.

The answer "YES"

I was a pretty happy guy last night walking out of the concert with a new Fiance and learning that my beloved Titans beat The Rabbitohs:)

Its great to be back online and talk to you all soon

Ryan
27-05-07, 03:42 PM
Another nomination for "Most Poorly Referee'd Game".......

The better team still won, an important win too, to keep in touch with the top 8.

TITAN FOREVER
27-05-07, 04:15 PM
Good to get a win. Scotty Prince back to form had a blinder. Noticed Scotty played a bit of 5/8 for part of the game. Hope Preston gets back next week we need him, and we need to muscle up against the Raiders.:)

Coaster
27-05-07, 04:34 PM
Hey there guys,

Im back,

I must apologise for my absence from the game last night. I hope the Legion coped without me and my swords.

I was a little busy last night. You know... normal stuff like, Went to the P!NK concert and proposed to my girlfriend just as P!nk was coming on stage.

The answer "YES"

I was a pretty happy guy last night walking out of the concert with a new Fiance and learning that my beloved Titans beat The Robbitohs:)

Its great to be back online and talk to you all soon

Well done mate,
What was the concert like?
I had tickets and a hotel in brissy, went to Brisbane with my misses, had dinner, was getting ready to catch the train to the concert, she had a change of mind, so i drove home just in time to catch the titans on the telly.

I had to leave my tickets to Pink with reception see if they could sell them.

Complete waste of money, but the game made it worth it

patskE
27-05-07, 06:53 PM
barnes froms the look of things had a good game for his feeder team
maybe he get the call up
depends on how webster played on the w.e

Tamwelg
27-05-07, 07:47 PM
Went to the P!NK concert and proposed to my girlfriend just as P!nk was coming on stage.

The answer "YES"

Congratulaions

Tamwelg
27-05-07, 07:53 PM
Good win by the Titans.

Bailey looked like a man on a mission, every hitup and tackle he made early could be heard in the crowd.

Laffranchi worked his but off all night like usual and was supported well in the second row by Minichello.

Prince is a magician and with Lewis next to him, he looked like he had a little more room to move the he has done the past few weeks.

Lewis good solid debut, he looks dangerous with the ball and has a great kick.

Friend was solid, made a mountain of tackles. I'd like to see him run with the ball more. He ran across the line twice in one set of 6 and had the defence guessing both times.

Myers, I've been a doubter, but that was his best performance yet, he looked really hungry to get involved.

We still have a lot of room for improvement, we gave away good field possession too often, with mistakes.

patskE
01-06-07, 11:20 AM
Winning certainly relieves the build-up of pressure

John Cartwright

01Jun07

THE ADAGE about `winning not being everything' is quaint but a tough one to live by in professional sport.

It doesn't matter how well you are playing, if you are still losing then pressure builds.

That pressure descends on everyone, from the players, the coach, right through to the people who run the club.

I could feel the pressure valve release after our win over Souths last Saturday night at Carrara.

The Titans were a different group of players at recovery the next day.

Although the game the previous night was hardly discussed there was a renewed vibrancy within the squad. The players were chirpy, there was a spring in their step.

It just reminded me of how important a win is and how fine a line we tread.

We were on three losses in a row and that had sapped the enthusiasm out of us.

No matter how hard you try, losing does affect the way you play.

Confidence is a cornerstone to winning and if the confidence is gone, the players are trying not to lose as opposed to trying to win.

When you are losing it feels like you are on a slippery dip. Every loss makes the slide steeper, so it is harder and harder to climb back out.* AS I have mentioned in previous columns, injuries will always be a part of a rugby league season, so there is no use whinging when they come along.

There is also no denying the fact that those same injuries will have an impact on how you are playing.

With the addition of Josh Lewis and a couple of young players, our top squad numbers 28. So far we have used 25 of those players.

Being a young club we have a shortage of ready-to-use players outside the squad.

There is plenty of quality in our three Queensland Cup feeder clubs but that quality is still a bit raw at NRL level.

What that means is that our depth has been tested. I have to admit we were getting short on options.

That also has its obvious effects. The more fit players you have on your books the more positive pressure there is on players to perform. They know there are people breathing down their neck.

Fortunately we were able to get through against the Rabbitohs and now things are starting to look brighter on the injury front.

Fingers crossed we will get through this weekend unscathed against the Raiders, then we will have a bye and be back to almost a full squad.

Returning will be Luke O'Dwyer and Daniel Conn from long-term injuries, so the only players still on the 'sick list' will be Smith Samau (hamstring) and Michael Henderson (broken leg).

* THE LONGER we are in the Queensland Cup the more valuable our three feeder clubs will be.

Already Burleigh, Seagulls and Ipswich have proven to be invaluable.

I have been impressed with the quality of the Q Cup and the professionalism of their organisations.

One suggestion I would make is for as many Q Cup games as possible be played as curtain-raisers to the Titans, Broncos or Cowboys.

There are plenty of potential NRL players in Q Cup and the more they can taste the atmosphere at the top level, the better.

Just to run out in a curtain-raiser before the main game would still be helpful. Getting used to bigger crowds and a stadium atmosphere is all part of the learning curve.

* MY FINAL word on the Jaiman Lowe incident.

The NRL judiciary has now set the benchmark of four weeks for a king hit.

The one positive I took out of this was the discipline shown by our players.

While an even uglier situation could have evolved, our players could see that Souths were on the attack after the punch was thrown, and there was a possibility that the ref and touchie could have missed Lowe's brain explosion and a try could have resulted.

However our blokes shut down the Rabbitohs before coming back and supporting their fallen comrade.

Social Loafer
02-06-07, 04:57 PM
Well Adrian Purtell is now out, looks like Campo will become the new centre due to the fact we have no one left.. Injured backs now read

Adrian Purtell
Phil Graham
David Howell
Colin Best
Brett Kelly

Then there's Steve Irwin...

If one more back gets injured I'll have to throw on the jersey..

coldhardbitch
06-06-07, 03:59 PM
Cumon man, John Howard above the Raiders cheergirls on ur sig. Priorities wrong.

Ryan
06-06-07, 04:40 PM
Cumon man, John Howard above the Raiders cheergirls on ur sig. Priorities wrong.

:laugh: Yeah, he's gone a little 'patriotic' - (Lost a signature bet)

* This has been by far, the most rewarding bet I've won...

k-unit
06-06-07, 07:40 PM
Damn! We are good! :D And I love it....:) We are going great.

*Titans Chant*