PDA

View Full Version : Round 10: St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans

Queenslander
14-05-07, 04:09 PM
St George - Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans
WIN Stadium, Friday 18th May; 7:30PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx3300.gifvshttp://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg

Referee: Tony Archer

Team Notes:

Dragons

Ashton Sims will return from a knee injury for the Dragons in their Round 10 clash with the Titans at WIN Stadium this Friday.

Sims will start in the backrow, replacing Chris Houston and Wes Naiqama will replace NSW Origin representative Matt Cooper in the centres.

Corey Payne, Ben Ellis and Sam Isemonger have all been named on the interchange for their NRL return. Dan Hunt will play Premier League along with Houston.
Titans

Last Played Dragons: Round 1: LOST 18-20

Co-Captain Luke Bailey is out due to Origin commitments

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_06.gif

1. Ben HORNBY (c)
2. Jason NIGHTINGALE
3. Chase STANLEY
4. Wes NAIQAMA
5. Josh MORRIS
6. Dean YOUNG
7. Mathew HEAD
8. Justin POORE
9. Simon WOOLFORD
10. Jason RYLES (c)
11. Ashton SIMS
12. Beau SCOTT
13. Ben CREAGH
Interchange:

14. Adam PEEK
15. Danny WICKS
16. Corey PAYNE
17. Ben ELLIS
18. Sam ISEMONGER

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Richie Mathers
2. Mat Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince ?
8. Kris Kahler
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain
Interchange:

14. Michael Hodgson
15. James Stosic
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Clint Amos

Steelers
14-05-07, 05:04 PM
This is going to be a good game. Both teams need a win, and if the Dragons can show up in front of their home fans, this will be a real contest. I am tipping Dragons by 4, but if the Dragons don't turn up to play, the Titans will romp home.

Hoppy2007Dragons
14-05-07, 05:20 PM
if the dragons don't slack off like they did in the last 15 against the tigers it should be a decent contest, provided the titans show up to play as well.

saints by 8.

dan the man
15-05-07, 07:43 AM
yes i have my tix.. dragons will be tough at WIN especially @ night time. I am sure that they are ready to bounce back similar to titans.. and it will be special to see Bull back at his home turf......

Teegy
15-05-07, 08:46 AM
should be a very interseting game if Coops and Bull get picked for NSW as that means they will be out this weekend. in terms of quality backups id think dragons have the edge with lulia, wes and Bmoz looking to get back into the starting team

Hoppy2007Dragons
15-05-07, 01:01 PM
With the loss of bailey up front, if our forwards turn up with good discipline, i think the titans may struggle against our big bopper pack.

Queenslander
15-05-07, 03:09 PM
Titans Squad:
1. Richie Mathers
2. Mat Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince ?
8. Kris Kahler
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

14. Michael Hodgson
15. James Stosic
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Clint Amos

Hoppy2007Dragons
15-05-07, 03:24 PM
Dragons Squad

Local Junior Ashton Sims will return from a knee injury for the Dragons in their Round 10 clash with the Titans at WIN Stadium this Friday.

Sims will start in the backrow, replacing Chris Houston and Wes Naiqama will replace NSW Origin representative Matt Cooper in the centres.

Corey Payne, Ben Ellis and Sam Isemonger have all been named on the interchange for their NRL return. Dan Hunt will play Premier League along with Houston.

The Dragons will be looking to repeat their Round 1 efforts where they defeated the Titans 20-18 at Suncorp Stadium.

Unavailable Dragons are Mark Gasnier (pectoral), Brett Morris (shoulder), and Tom Hewitt (Hamstring).
NRL
v Gold Coast Titans
7.30pm Friday 18 May
WIN Stadium
Coach: Nathan Brown

1. Ben HORNBY (c)
2. Jason NIGHTINGALE
3. Chase STANLEY
4. Wes NAIQAMA
5. Josh MORRIS
6. Dean YOUNG
7. Mathew HEAD
8. Justin POORE
9. Simon WOOLFORD
10. Jason RYLES (c)
11. Ashton SIMS
12. Beau SCOTT
13. Ben CREAGH

14. Adam PEEK
15. Danny WICKS
16. Corey PAYNE
17. Ben ELLIS
18. Sam ISEMONGER

Rage
15-05-07, 04:18 PM
Titans to win if they play like they did against parra
should be good game either way

Steelers
15-05-07, 04:19 PM
Great, Ashton Sims is back :|

TITAN FOREVER
15-05-07, 04:40 PM
Going to be tuff at WIN with Preston & Bull out ouch! But I'll back the Titans.

squirrell
15-05-07, 08:29 PM
i would have kicked a cpl of titans into qld cup and give a few young blokes a run from the feeder clubs.They might show a bit more passion than the handful that didnt bother switching on for the 80 mins last week,embarassing display from at least 3 players.tipping titans but if they dont turn up to play this week end im going to snub the next home game regardless of my family"s gold memberships at carrara.not happy jan.

Hoppy2007Dragons
15-05-07, 09:01 PM
now now steelers i'm sure he has had time to reflect upon his actions and will clean up his act, i discipline is getting better by the week, so lets hope it stays this way.

Steelers
15-05-07, 09:49 PM
now now steelers i'm sure he has had time to reflect upon his actions and will clean up his act, i discipline is getting better by the week, so lets hope it stays this way.

I hope so, for our sake. He is a player who I think hasn't really stepped up to NRL standard yet, and he has had a while to do so. All it takes though is a good game to change my opinion though ;)

Social Loafer
15-05-07, 10:52 PM
Carty should throw a curveball, make Browny rethink his tactics an hour before kickoff

1. Richie Mathers
2. Mat Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
8. Kris Kahler
7. Scott Prince ?
15. James Stosic
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
14. Michael Hodgson
6. Matthew Hilder

Interchange:

13. Luke Swain
12. Mark Minichiello
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Clint Amos

lonegull
16-05-07, 06:50 AM
wonder if theres an 18th man travelling with the squad

Big J
16-05-07, 07:32 AM
i would have kicked a cpl of titans into qld cup and give a few young blokes a run from the feeder clubs.They might show a bit more passion than the handful that didnt bother switching on for the 80 mins last week,embarassing display from at least 3 players.tipping titans but if they dont turn up to play this week end im going to snub the next home game regardless of my family"s gold memberships at carrara.not happy jan.

My my. How fickle we can be. Sounds like somebody is a bandwagon supporter. More then happy to share in the spoils of victory but unable to accept that a new franchise may have an off week or two.

squirrell
16-05-07, 08:25 AM
Hmmmm maybe thats how it came across,but as someone whos attended training sessions,every game at carrara,2 at suncorp and all the trials incl lismore,i think i am am more than aware of the potential and ability that this squad possesses.If you could have read carty"s comments last week in our local rag,he said it was the worst game of football hed ever witnessed.Bear in mind thats the coach, and most times they tend to find positives out of defeats.memberships arnt cheap and you expect them to switch on for the 2 hrs a week that theyre paid for.Also its just my opinion and i know what were capable of when we click so im still tipping top 8.

Hoppy2007Dragons
16-05-07, 11:32 AM
Josh lewis is travelling as 18th man due to a few injury concerns, including hilder, so i wouldn't be suprised if josh gets a run.

Tamwelg
16-05-07, 06:42 PM
Josh lewis is travelling as 18th man due to a few injury concerns, including hilder, so i wouldn't be suprised if josh gets a run.

I'd love to see that happen.

Tamwelg
16-05-07, 06:44 PM
Wow just realized Friend has the number 9 on his back, about time :D. Amos has been awesome, I'm just a big fan of Friend.

League Lover
16-05-07, 06:45 PM
matt hilder is 5/8 this week

Tamwelg
16-05-07, 06:50 PM
matt hilder is 5/8 this week

Not necessarily. Carty has to name a team every Tuesday, but it can be changed before the game, which has happened on a number of occasions.

Capital_Shark
16-05-07, 07:34 PM
No Bailey I think the Titans will struggle for momentum and with Woolford back should help the Dragons get on a bit of a roll.

Dragons 1-12

Hoppy2007Dragons
16-05-07, 08:37 PM
Coudn't agree more CS, i think our big pack will just tire the smaller titan pack out.

Capital_Shark
16-05-07, 09:12 PM
Coudn't agree more CS, i think our big pack will just tire the smaller titan pack out.

I got bad news champ, whenever I instill logic into my footy picks, as I've done this week, I usually get caught out big time. I do my best when 6:30 Friday rolls around and I'm rushed into shooting 'em out. Titans and anyone else I tipped against by a ton :p

Tamwelg
17-05-07, 05:49 AM
Source www.gcbulletin.com.au

Webster Jets off in fallout from defeat Pat McLeod

17May07

THE fallout from Sunday's loss to the Roosters descended on the Titans yesterday with Kiwi international Jake Webster axed for exciting youngster Smith Samau.

Samau, 21, will make his debut for the Gold Coast tomorrow night against St George Illawarra in Wollongong.

"Jake has been off his game for the last few weeks and it was just a case of Smith going well," explained Titans coach John Cartwright.

"These decisions are never easy. We don't have a lot of internationals and for Jake to be playing for the Ipswich Jets, well I would much rather him be playing well and to be playing for us.

"He just might need a bit of confidence.

"It has worked wonders for the players who have gone down to Q Cup. They have come back and played much better."

Webster's axing is a non-too-subtle warning to all Titans players following two losses on the trot, the last a woeful 24-18 performance against the Roosters, which left Cartwright seething.

"The message is the same to everyone in the squad, we need a bit more desperation," said Cartwright.

"Smith is only 21 years old and is having his first game for us and he will want to stay in the top grade.

"He will be desperate and I want desperate blokes out there."

Ironically Samau and Webster share a unit, but according to the rookie Samau, his elevation at the expense of his more experienced roomie won't cause a conflict on the home front.

"We are both sweet about it," said Samau. "Of course he is disappointed, but he is really happy for me."

Samoan-born Samau played for Brisbane Norths before making his sole NRL appearance, for the Melbourne Storm, last season.

He came back to Queensland and to the Titans in the wake of the Steve Turner contract fiasco, when Melbourne traded him to the Coast in order to keep Turner.

"I wanted to come here for the opportunity and now that I have it I want to hang on to it with both hands," said Samau.

Cartwright has a high opinion of Samau.

"Smith is a great kid," he said.

"He works very hard at training. The conditioning staff are over the moon with him. He is a delight to have around and deserves his chance."

Webster will be relegated to the Ipswich Jets, the same team Samau played for last weekend after being out for three weeks with a hamstring injury.

Although faced with a limited pool to select from in the Titans debut season, the fact that Cartwright has shed some blood after the Roosters loss surprised few.

He remains annoyed that in their rookie year, when wins are like rare gems, his team let a priceless two points slip through their fingers.

Most worrying for Cartwright is that the Dragons will be at home and desperate to prove to their fans they are not a lost cause for 2007.

Despite boasting quality players throughout their lineup, St George Illawarra sit second last on the competition ladder on six points, with two of those from a bye.

"They are a star-studded side and the danger signs are there," he said.

Big J
17-05-07, 09:41 AM
Heading down for the game on Friday and can't wait to see Smith Samau play. Being a New South Welshmen I haven't seen him in action but if he is half as good as some of the posts on this forum have previously suggested then i should be in for a real treat!

Steve
17-05-07, 10:22 AM
Good to see Samau get a chance.
Webster definitely seemed to lack urgency against the roosters, trotting back for the ball and being trapped in goal instead of running hard for it.

Will be interesting to see if Lewis gets a run, they may want him to train with the team another week before he gets a shot.

squirrell
17-05-07, 02:00 PM
i called for at least 1 change a few posts back,good luck to smith on friday andheres hoping webster gets back in the groove in qld cup.

RLfan
17-05-07, 03:01 PM

Hey when did we get him? Because I know he was a Roosters player in round 1?

Coaster
17-05-07, 03:04 PM
Hey when did we get him? Because I know he was a Roosters player in round 1?

Last Sunday

Steelers
17-05-07, 03:10 PM
Hopefully this week the Titans won't see the spoils of their deal with the Storm and Steve Turner. Save Samau's great performance for next week ;)

tom91
17-05-07, 05:05 PM
titans can win without campbell and bailey,,,they still got prince,rogers and laffranchi

Titanium_BD1103
17-05-07, 07:23 PM
Look forward to seeing how Samau goes... big wraps here, hopefully he doesn't get too overawed and can put in a solid performance, as this is his chance to cement a first grade spot.

Having that sort of speed on the wing should prove to be very useful against the speed of the Morris brothers... :)

Just hoping Webster can regain form soon, he's too good a player for us to have out for more than a week or so.

Tamwelg
18-05-07, 05:44 AM
Source www.gcbulletin.com.au

Lewis heads south, this time as Titan

18May07

AFTER only three days on the Gold Coast new recruit Josh Lewis yesterday packed his bags and headed back to Sydney in a good way.

The highly touted 21-year-old, who walked out of a two-year deal with the Roosters mid-season to join the Titans on Monday, was named by coach John Cartwright as 18th man for the Gold Coast's clash with St George Illawarra in Wollongong tonight.

Speculation has been rife the young five-eighth, who played 11 NRL games for the Roosters last season under Ricky Stuart, would slot straight into the starting side after inking the whirlwind deal just last Sunday.

As he prepared to board the plane yesterday at Coolangatta Airport, Titans coach John Cartwright rejected suggestions Lewis would slot straight into No.6 tonight ahead of Matt Hilder, but hinted it was not out of the question.

"He is very sharp and the sort of guy that we were looking at in the halves to give us strength and depth in that area," said Cartwright. "Matt Hilder can cover a lot of spots.

"It is just a matter of getting him in with the guys and making him feel comfortable.

"We will take him down and get him used to the routine when we travel. Then we will get him on the paddock next week somewhere."

Rookie Smith Samau, who played one game with the Melbourne Storm last year, will debut for the Titans on the wing after impressing in the Queensland Cup with Ipswich.

Samau's selection relegates New Zealand International and flatmate Jake Webster to the state league.

"Jake's form has been down a little bit over the past few weeks and Smith was going well," said Cartwright.

"I just think we need a bit of spark at the back of the field and I think he can provide that for us.

"We were flat last week and I haven't been happy with the back of the field work for the past few weeks so we need a bit of a change."

DIEHARD
18-05-07, 07:02 PM
Game is on!

What a fantastic surprise to see the Titans wearing their blue primary jersey!

I guess the Dragons wanted to wear Illawarra colours, which is great, so we choose to wear our primary as there would be no clash. Fantastic!

I'm back off to watch the game, I'll check in.

Boofhead
18-05-07, 07:24 PM
Peterson evens up the scores. Good run by Laffranci helped the cause.

Dragons really should have posted more points in the first 20. WE ARE COMING INTO THE GAME!

DIEHARD
18-05-07, 07:24 PM
6-4 Dragons.

Petersen just scored, you called it Coaster!

Come on boys!

Boofhead
18-05-07, 07:25 PM
Cooper... FFS.

DIEHARD
18-05-07, 07:26 PM
Oh we just blew a great scoring opportunity, but as you said, we are coming for them...

Titanium_BD1103
18-05-07, 07:45 PM
Halftime... we are down but we are not out yet... :D :D

It's frustrating watching this game as we are the better side IMO, we are carving them up on the left hand side and without Naiquma they are really struggling.

The Titans can't hold the ball ATM, 4 bombed tries and one lost ball that cost us and it's making the team frustrated and give away cheap penalities, which in the wind are getting the Dragons downfield.

I know we can win, we have shown we can in the 2nd half, the key is ball control and patience, it's a great game and it will be greater if we do that, because then the real entertaining footy we are showing can really shine.

Titanium_BD1103
18-05-07, 08:38 PM
**FULL TIME**

St George Illawarra Dragons 28

Tries: Peek, Payne, Nightingale, Sims, Naiqama
Goals: Naiquma 1/1, Head 3/4

Gold Coast Titans10

Tries: Petersen, Prince
Goals: Rogers 1/2

I have to say, I enjoyed the game tonight, but it was very frustrating... and overall I am disappointed we didn't win.

The Titans really were their own worst enemy tonight, when we had great chances we blew them with dropped ball and poor passing or kicking options and that lead to frustration, penalties and easier metres for the Dragons, and you can't gift teams like that.

Ball handling skills really need to improve and we have to start marking up in defense, too often tonight the Dragons ran through the middle and it was lucky we were tenacious and didn't let them get away.

Top stuff from Rogers and Samau who both impressed me tonight, as did Mathers and Minichiello... the rest were good, but overall the team didn't gel tonight and when it did, the final execution was lacking. There are some really positive signs there, but ATM, we need to do the basics right, get that sorted and we could once again be a really strong force to be reckoned with.

Hoppy2007Dragons
18-05-07, 09:04 PM
The best part of that game were both sides battling it out till the end, the dragons i thought bar some silly errors near the back end and some poor kicking decisions, put in one of their best performances.

The best part was our discipline, i only remember hornby giving a penalty on the play the balls.

We possibly could have put plenty more points on with head and woolford breaks falling short, but then the titans did the same early in the first half a good game overall and one both coaches should find very good positives from.

The dragons could be a future titans bogey team :)

Steve
18-05-07, 09:56 PM
It was a bit disappointing.
A few too many silly penalties given away, and if a couple passes had stuck, could have been a lot different.
The whole team seemed a little flat, I think Bailey's mere presence inspires them, and that was missing tonight.
On the upside, Mathers is starting to look more comfortable and more dangerous, and Samau I thought had a good first game.
Rogers is still looking dangerous aswell as Petersen.

Looking forward to Lewis coming into the side. Hopefully a week training with the team will help him slot in, tonight would probably have been too early and not have done much good.

Coaster
18-05-07, 10:00 PM
My side next week

1. Rogers
2. Walker
3. Mathers
4. Delenay
5. Peterson
6. Lewis
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10 Myers
11 Lanfranci
12 Kahler
13 Swain

14 Minochello
15 Amos
16 Cooper
17 Stosic

Or Rogers again at Center and Mathers at the wing

Also i thought Samau looked awesome

Chaos
18-05-07, 10:39 PM
I liked the look of Samau..he has the Benji step but with a lot more strength....I say keep him in the side.

I also liked the size of Stosic in the middle even though he was replaced on the 11th minute of the game. Todays game has a lot of interchange options so we may as well use them with a big boy like him.

I'd change the 5/8 before changing Rogers from Centre to Fullback.
I'm not saying he can't play fullback but lets move Hilder out and give us a ball playing 5/8 first. We can tweak the outside backs after that needed change.

Coaster
18-05-07, 10:42 PM
I'd change the 5/8 before changing Rogers from Centre to Fullback.
I'm not saying he can't play fullback but lets move Hilder out and give us a ball playing 5/8 first. We can tweak the outside backs after that needed change.

Agreed

Supergoose
18-05-07, 11:22 PM
Hilder had his best game for the Titans tonight (evidenced by how well Rogers, Delaney and the wingers played outside him), but I reckon Josh Lewis will prove a better option long term. Hilder seemed to play a lot of first receiver though tonight with Prince getting the ball to the outside backs. Maybe we've seen a precursor to Prince playing more five-eighth and Lewis coming into halfback. Backline is not the problem though and they played well tonight without Presto eventhough they failed to finish off some good lead up work.

I also think we need Hilder in the pack. The forward pack tonight lacked go forward when Stosic wasn't on and there were no big hits. The Dragons just rolled down the field with ease. To my way of thinking the Dragons are the least disciplined side in the league but we were worse tonight. Stosic has to stay when Bailey comes back (they could alternate on the field to ensure we're always going forward!) Bailey also plays 70 min and Stosic 20 so that would work out. Hodgson and Kahler are just not hitting hard enough, we need someone to put on some shots and make the opposition forwards think twice before hitting it up. We are tenacious in 'D' but not ferocious. I thought Cooper was good apart from a couple of dropped balls with the line in sight. His wide running proved a bit of a handful and we looked likely with Rogers running off him. I'd be starting Stosic and Meyers at prop, with Bailey and Laffranchi in the 2nd row with Cooper at lock. I think we look better with Amos at hooker to start with Friend playing significant minutes off the bench. The other option is to start with Hilder at lock who is impressing at the moment with Cooper in the 2nd row and Bailey at prop with Stosic on the bench. Minichello, Josh Graham should join Stosic on the bench with Swain when Walker and Presto are back.

The good news from my point of view is we're not that far away, we're just lacking a little fire power in the forward pack that could be solved with a bit of a reshuffle. IMO too many workhorses (which is an admirable quality) and not enough impact to strike fear into the opposition.

Dakink
19-05-07, 04:56 AM
WooHoo!!!!

Parra Petty
19-05-07, 05:13 AM
Hey all,

It was always going to be tough for th eboys after being on the orad for the past fortnight, and especially without Bailey and Campbell there as well.

WIN Stadium is one of the tougher games to jag a win at, and I am sure coach Cartwright can't wait get vack to Carrara this Saturday.

I thought Samau. Petersen. Laffranchi and Prince all tried hard, but we really need to bring in Lewis or Kaiffman to take some pressure of Prince as cheif playmaker. Hilder is solid without being exciting, and the opposition know that the majority of last tackle plays will be ignited by Prince.

Anyway here is the report that will be logged on the site soon, so feel free to check it out and leave your comments -

http://www.league.net.au/fiery-dragons-slay-titans/

Cheers everyone,

Parra Petty

RobJ
19-05-07, 06:32 AM
Whilst solid, Hilder should be moved an replaced with someone who can give us more in attack.
We need that extra zip in attack when sometimes we look flat and go no where.
Sideshow is looking good.....give him more work.

Errors cost us dearly, but I guess they always will.

Old Diehard
19-05-07, 08:41 AM
Hilder's kick across to Peterson resulted in a try. That was a positive. I also saw Mat Rodgers pass back inside once where the receiver Anthony Minchiello was mowed down quickly but I wish it had been to some one like Preston Campbell instead ..And Stosic needs to be on the field more for the Titans (he's a big bloke!)
But no Luke Bailey in the forwards and no Preston Campbell spark and it showed..Smith Samau looked isolated and nervous on a couple of those kicks that resulted in tries but have patients - he does have a bit of the electrifying in him and Walker is out - I've always thought he was talented.
It's a shame that all these guys aren't available or quite playing at their best yet (Jake Webster is out of sorts too!) When they all fire the Titans will scare the opposition, just right now they depend too much on Scott Prince to do something (he's playing real well) - I wouldn't be surprised to see Preston back as 5/8 before the end of the season and with Smith Samau, whose position is more fullback that could make a great combination. Some one said they thought Smith Samau looked like Benji Marshall- very accurate even the side step which is more of a jump to the side is similiar. His kick returns are often dangerouse when he's played fullback in the past. He's 20 and a quite shy bloke by nature! Give him the opportunity and once he's built his confidence then he's the man that will allow Preston to move to 5/8 and still have a fullback with zip. I'm sure the coaching staff know that and will work to built his confidence in himself.

But remember- even the Broncos who had a stack of Australian Players in their very first line-up didn't go all the way in year 1

meter maid
19-05-07, 09:57 AM
It's very nice to hear everyone being positive about the game but come on, they were BAD. It was almost embarrassing to watch at times. There seems to be no cohesion there at all, no running hard onto the ball from the forwards,and not enough passing.
I thought the comentary was very interesting re: Rogers not passing to Peterson, it was mentioned several times. If there's a problem there it needs to be addressed, move Matty over to the other wing outside Delaney. Then if Rogers wants to play ball hog and refuse to pass Matty won't be unfairly blamed.
Hopefully the boys will get their act together soon and get a few more wins in. Maybe the coaching needs a bit more bite. Only time will tell....

Old Diehard
19-05-07, 04:39 PM
Meter Maid- it wasn't that Mat Rodgers hogged the but instead of passing to the wing Petersen , he passed back inside.. Probably costed at least 1 try! I'm sure Mat Rodgers will watch the replay and shake his head too! But as I said the pass back inside to Minchellio with a zipper man should have resulted in a try (was just watching the replay on Fox- sorry don't wish to seem smarty pants!)

Steelers
19-05-07, 06:19 PM
I don't care about the positives and negatives of the Dragons performance, all I care about is the WIN!!! :D

Oh and I am in love with the Dragons away strip this year. It really brongs back memories of the Steelers with the red shorts and socks with the red jersey this year.

Old Diehard
20-05-07, 07:23 PM
I don't care about the positives and negatives of the Dragons performance, all I care about is the WIN!!! :D

Oh and I am in love with the Dragons away strip this year. It really brongs back memories of the Steelers with the red shorts and socks with the red jersey this year.

Good on ya! But hey I'm not for Rockdale or Caringbar! BORN & BREED!

lonegull
21-05-07, 06:48 AM
there was only two positives to come out of the match laffranchi was great and smith samau was great he really looked dangerous great move to bring him into the top grade
the negatives there were quiet a few but just mention a few
Hilder- why is he kicking yes we did score a try from one of his kicks but gee scotty prince is rated one of the best kickers in the game, hilders vision he is very predictable hardly takes the line on and defence he dropped of that many tackles i lost count
Mathers- just seems to be lacking confidence,
Kahler-easy target for the dragons they got some great tackling practice every time kahler run the ball he was smashed

the overall team seemed one up no creativity very predictable footbal and we have to remever st george played with only 15 men for a lot of the second half, carty might have to bite the bullet and make some changes

Steelers
21-05-07, 08:23 AM
Hilder- why is he kicking yes we did score a try from one of his kicks but gee scotty prince is rated one of the best kickers in the game, hilders vision he is very predictable hardly takes the line on and defence he dropped of that many tackles i lost count

He honestly can't win. He has people telling him that he needs to take more pressure off of Scotty, while he also has people telling him that he should let his halves partner do all the work. Why can't everyone get off his back, remember the players read the forums and all of this extra pressure on his back isn't going to help his confidence.

Steve
21-05-07, 09:15 AM
He honestly can't win. He has people telling him that he needs to take more pressure off of Scotty, while he also has people telling him that he should let his halves partner do all the work. Why can't everyone get off his back, remember the players read the forums and all of this extra pressure on his back isn't going to help his confidence.

Amen!
People on the forum have gotten an idea in their head and it sticks, no matter what.
Why is he kicking? Because every man and his dog are calling for him to kick and take pressure off Prince.
If he's setting up tries with his kicks, so what if Prince has one of the best kicking games in the league? And it's not the only good kick i've seen from Hilder this year either.

It's like watching Campbell take a bomb at fullback and hearing someone comment, "about time he caught one" when he's only dropped one all year.
These are probably the same people who are calling for Rogers to be in the 1 jersey, but suffer amnesia about his dropped bomb when he moved to fullback.

Sure, Hilder's not setting the world on fire in the 6, but he's going okay.

I'm certainly not going to blame the loss on him being in the halves. This was more a game lost up front and the stupid penalties given away.

lonegull
21-05-07, 09:35 AM
i am not blaming hilder for the loss, i just cant understand that scotty prince isnt the go to guy for kicking, dont forget hilder has never played 5/8th before so i understand he is still finding his feet in the 6 jumper but how long does he need we are lacking a bit of spark i would love to see hilder with the 13 on his back

Steve
21-05-07, 10:13 AM
i am not blaming hilder for the loss, i just cant understand that scotty prince isnt the go to guy for kicking, dont forget hilder has never played 5/8th before so i understand he is still finding his feet in the 6 jumper but how long does he need we are lacking a bit of spark i would love to see hilder with the 13 on his back

And Prince does do the majority of the kicking, but there are more options than just one kicker in a team, and this weekend's wasn't the first try off a Hilder kick. It takes some pressure off Prince and can cause some confusion in the defence who'll be watching to see what Prince does.

I think he'd be great at lock aswell, or off the bench. There's some big wraps on this Lewis kid, so i'd like to see him in the side.

lonegull
21-05-07, 10:34 AM
got to agree with lewis gives the titans another option in attack and the kid has a great kicking game and is a master of the 40 20 but hilder has to be in the side somewhere so i think lock would be good

Steve
21-05-07, 01:00 PM
I think having Hilder involved with the kicking is only going to help in the long term.
With Lewis at 6, Preston back in the side and Hilder at lock or the second row, there's three backs all capable of setting up something off a kick, and Hilder has shown he's handy with the boot too.
Rogers and Walker I think aren't too shabby either. With all those options it will ultimately reduce pressure on Prince, and if the defence is coming down hard on him there'll be plenty of people to turn to, they won't be able to cover them all.

patskE
21-05-07, 09:54 PM
i wanna see rogers have a kick, he had a big boot in union, i know ball is easier to kick, but wouldnt be to shabby

Chaos
21-05-07, 10:57 PM
Prince should be making the majority of kicks in general play so he can get control of the game. If he is pressured...you do need a back up kicker and it looks like Lewis will be playing 5/8 and he's apparantly got a big boot on him.
Hilder showed he too can kick also.

but

If you want to add another demension to your teams kicking...spend a few weeks teaching your hooker how to punt the ball.
It's a lot easier kicking a 40-20 from the advantage line and these days the markers hover backwards unless it's the 5th tackle.