8. Clifford MANUA
Interchange:
14. Adam SIMON
15. Wiremu RATANA
16. Luke BROSNAN
17. Michael GREEN

DIEHARD
19-05-07, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure of the score, but the Jets went down, I think it was a close game, about a converted try in it.

No idea of the scorers.

Tamwelg
20-05-07, 07:33 PM
Source www.qrl.com.au

Walker Magic Not Enough to Halt Broncos Stride

A DEFLECTED kick off the goalposts has given Aspley rookie Galu Te’o the winning try in a nail-biting 24-18 win against Ipswich at North Ipswich Reserve.

Not for the first time in the match, Broncos half Ben Green aimed his kick at the uprights and came up with a fortuitous bounce, breaking an 18-all deadlock inside the final 10 minutes.

The fortunes of debutant fullback Te’o, an Edens Landing junior and AIS graduate, told the story for a maligned Aspley side missing a host of players through Broncos and junior representative commitments.

With their backs to the wall and up against an Ipswich team coming off four straight wins, the Broncos dug deep, defied the odds and won a top five spot.

“The boys did a great job under some very tough circumstances,” praised coach Mark Gee.

“In fact the whole club was up against it today. Our Colts ran out of players and had to call on Second Division players, while the FOGS Cup team only had 13 fresh men.

“A fair few of the guys did a job for us last year in similar circumstance and I was confident they could get another good result for us.”

The signs were ominous before kick-off. Ipswich pummelled Aspley’s second-placed Colts 36-26 and then ran rampant 64-6 in the FOGS Cup.

The Jets also lined up in the Wizard Cup with New Zealand Test star Jake Webster and former Queensland Origin player Chris Walker in their backline.

Still, Aspley had the composure to lead 12-4 at halftime and, despite the best efforts of a dangerous Walker, maintained possession long enough to come up with the decisive play.

“Our main focus was ball control today and we held our first 12 sets, which we needed to, because Ipswich was at us,” noted Gee.

“I thought Walker was a standout for them. He looked classy every time he touched the ball.

“I put Jamie Simpson out there to mark him, but Chris kept bobbing up all over the place. He was moving from side-to-side. He was probably a class above every other player out there to be honest.”

Of his own players, Gee reserved special note for both Green and another fresh face in Adam Simon. The club’s best in FOGS Cup last year, Simon played prop for the Broncos as they carried a lightweight pack into the match.

Both sides are at home next Sunday. Aspley hosts Tweed Heads at Suncorp Stadium at 11.30am, while Ipswich welcomes Souths Logan to the Reserve at 3pm.

ASPLEY 24 (Galu Te’o, Gideon Mzembe, Derricke Watkins, Ian Lacey tries; Ben Green 4 goals) d IPSWICH 18 (Jason Bulgarelli, Jake Webster, Todd Riggs, Joel Reithmuller tries; Chris Walker goal) at North Ipswich Reserve.

Future Star
20-05-07, 09:29 PM
why are quote 'New Zealand Test star Jake Webster and former Queensland Origin player Chris Walker' end quote, playing in the Wizard Cup :/

I DEMAND AN ANSWER!

Capital_Shark
20-05-07, 09:46 PM
why are quote 'New Zealand Test star Jake Webster and former Queensland Origin player Chris Walker' end quote, playing in the Wizard Cup :/

I DEMAND AN ANSWER!

Demotion and rehabilitation

Social Loafer
20-05-07, 10:15 PM

Why isn't Jason Bulgarelli at halfback?

I DEMAND ANSWERS!!!

lonegull
21-05-07, 06:39 AM
great to see i hope john cartwright reads this article becuase the titans need chris back sooner rather than later

Future Star
21-05-07, 09:19 AM

oh, ok.

why was Jake Webster demoted?

even the bad games he's played this year, he's been solid...

lonegull
21-05-07, 09:32 AM
oh, ok.

agree but when has jake made a clear brake this year or even beat the first man

Tamwelg
21-05-07, 04:21 PM
oh, ok.

Disagree, he had a few shocker leading up to being dropped, he made lots of mistakes, he was often out of position a lot and was not switched on in attack, e.g. one game Laffranchi was being driven toward the side line, just before going over he threw what would have been a perfect offload and most likely a Webster try, if he came in from the wing rather then stand there and watch it happen.