View Full Version : Round 10: Manly Sea Eagles vs Brisbane Broncos

Queenslander
16-05-07, 12:28 PM
Manly Sea Eagles vs Brisbane Broncos

Monday 21st May, 7pm; Brookvale Oval

Referee: Jared Maxwell

Team Notes:

Sea Eagles

Des Hasler has been forced to make wholesale changes in his line-up. With Lyon and Bell selected for Origin and Matai suspended Shane Neumann and Nick Bradley-Qualilawa have been given their shot in the centres. Mark Bryant comes in for Brent Kite and Adam Cuthbertson has been added to the bench.
Broncos

The Broncos have managed to name only two debutants in a 19-man squad that will take on competition leaders Manly at Brookvale Oval on Monday night.

While a Brisbane team without Origin stars normally means a ?Baby Broncos? outfit, only winger Denan Kemp and reserve Mick Roberts have not played in the NRL.

But Gold Coast product Kemp played a full-scale trial against Melbourne back in March and at 27 and as one of the best hookers in the Queensland Cup, Roberts could hardly be called a rookie.

Nick Emmett returns from State League duty with Redcliffe, while Mick Ennis and Ben Hannant are in the starting side.

Former Cronulla forward Clifford Manua, who played two NRL games in 2005, is also on the six-man bench.
Teams:
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_13.gif

1 Brett Stewart
2 Michael Robertson
3 Shane Neumann
4 Nick Bradley-Qualilawa
5 Chris Hicks
6 Travis Burns
7 Matt Orford (c)
8 Jason King
9 Michael Monaghan
10 Mark Bryant
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Glenn Stewart
13 Luke Williamson
Interchange:

14 Matt Ballin
15 Glenn Hall
16 George Rose
17 Adam Cuthbertson
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_03.gif

1 Darius Boyd
2 Steve Michaels
3 David Stagg
4 Nick Emmett
5 Denan Kemp
6 Joel Moon
7 Shane Perry
8 Dane Carlaw
9 Mick Ennis
10 Ben Hannant
11Corey Parker
12 Brad Thorn (c)
13 Greg Eastwood
Interchange:

14 Dave Taylor
15 Clifford Manua
16 John Te Reo
17 Nick Kenny
18 Ian Lacey
19 Mick Roberts

RLfan
16-05-07, 03:01 PM
I will taking the Broncos on the upset here, especially if Stewart is called in to cover Minichello. If you QLD Cup, you would know Denan Kemp is a speed machine.

Future Star
16-05-07, 03:12 PM
Travis Burns starting 5/8?
Manly win...

Its hard for Monaghan, hes a brilliant half, but becuse of Travis Burns, matt Orford, and To My disgust, jamie Lyon (HES A CENTER GODDAMIT!) he plays hooker...

Future Star
18-05-07, 01:36 PM
i can't wait until this match!

i wanna see Dave Taylor play :)

Steelers
18-05-07, 03:12 PM
Manly will romp home IMO. The only way that I can see the Broncos winning is if the replacements of the so-called 'superstars' that are currently playing Origin play better than the players they are replacing, which isn't that hard actually ;)

DIEHARD
20-05-07, 04:59 PM
I am a fool! I thought this was a Sunday game, just worked out it is Monday night football!

Queenslander
21-05-07, 09:47 AM
Redcliffe pair to show way
Matt Marshall
May 21, 2007 12:00am
Article from: The Courier Mail

THE Broncos will turn to the chemistry of Queensland Cup stalwarts Shane Perry and Mick Roberts to revive their premiership fortunes against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

With the premiers on the brink of finals extinction Brisbane will be hoping for another "Baby Broncos" miracle. It hopes that Roberts and Perry can deliver after being the driving force behind Redcliffe's dominance of the state league for the best part of a decade.

Perry was the Cinderella story of 2006 but his long-time state league teammate has remained in the shadows ? until now. A three-time Queensland Cup Player of the Year winner, Roberts will debut tonight alongside 20-year-old flyer Denan Kemp and the full-time schoolteacher has promised to make up for lost time.

"I don't want to be a passenger, I want to try to do something special if I can," said Roberts, who will slot into dummy-half from the interchange bench, said. "I want to make an impact while I'm out there. I'll be trying things.

"It's an opportunity I've been waiting a long time for. I've been playing at Redcliffe for 10 years now. It's been hard at times seeing a lot of other players make the switch up to NRL while I've been there."

Perry expect his 27-year-old teammate to thrive in first grade after serving a seemingly ageless apprenticeship.

"We've played plenty of footy together so we know how each other plays, it's good to have him around," Perry said. "It's a great challenge for the blokes getting their opportunity. They have to step up and show what they can do."

Normally second fiddle to Darren Lockyer, the much-maligned halfback must control Brisbane's attack alongside novice pivot Joel Moon.

"There's more responsibility, I'm going to be calling the shots out there," Perry said.

Brisbane is a rank outsider tonight without eight topline stars, but assistant coach Ivan Henjak said the premiers will exit fortress Brookvale with no excuses.

"There's an expectation at the Broncos to perform no matter what adversity we're under, that's just a culture of this club," he said. "We're expecting to get the job done."

Centre David Stagg added: "Hopefully the young guys bring a different feel to the side, a bit more enthusiasm."

Despite being named on the wing, Broncos rookie Kemp is expected to fill Maroons fullback Karmichael Hunt boots with Darius Boyd to play right wing.

If the Broncos are beaten it will be the second consecutive week that all three Queensland-based clubs have lost.

Queenslander
21-05-07, 08:58 PM
FINAL SCORE

Manly Sea Eagles 18
Tries: Nick Bradley-Qualiwawa (2), Jason King, Anthony Watmough
Goals: Matt Orford (1/4)
Brisbane Broncos 6
Tries: Denan Kemp
Goals: Corey Parker (1/1)

Hoppy2007Dragons
21-05-07, 09:22 PM
I haven't watched the game, but for the baby broncos to keep manly to just 18 points and for manlys tries to be on the fringes of the park thus orfords diffucult kicks to slot, wayne must be very proud.

Also the broncos ended up with a 31/34 completiton rate, at one stage i think it was 20/20 when i was followign the score on the net, so a tidy effort by a origin depleted pack.

Still manly winining hleps my tips a little.

k-unit
21-05-07, 09:24 PM
Kemp looked great for them. I hope to see more of him in first grade this year. He was the light in the dark performance by Brisbane. Lets hope he is thier next week :)