PDA

View Full Version : Carrara Stadium

Coaster
09-05-07, 12:23 PM
Carrara Stadium strikes back
The Coast is set for a stadium stoush with Robina's $160 million Skilled Park due to be outplayed after plans to radically rebuild Gold Coast Stadium at Carrara were leaked yesterday.
The $110 million proposal to redesign the $900,000-a-year 'white elephant' would see the riverside venue able to seat 25,000 under a signature wave-shaped roof while, in a world-first, patrons could arrive by water in either public rivercats or private craft.
Horseshoe-shaped in design and opening on to the Nerang River, the reborn venue, described as a scaled-down version of an Olympic stadium, would take a number of years to complete with construction undertaken in a series of stages.
After six years of planning, the first sod of the new stadium could soon be turned with a groundswell of support, spearheaded by Mayor Ron Clarke, indicating it's a matter of when, rather than if, an AFL team calls the Coast home.
Despite a 2001 agreement between the Queensland Government's Major Sports Facilities Authority and the AFL that any Gold Coast team must be based in Brisbane until 2016 to justify the Government's $180 million redevelopment of the Gabba, there is growing optimism that decision will be overturned.
While Cr Clarke has argued the Government set a precedent by redeveloping Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium and also paying for a new NRL ground at Robina, AFL sources are quietly confident that if they foot the bill for the new Gold Coast Stadium at Carrara our team will come -- and well before the next decade.
While the political and sporting stoush is yet to be resolved, a source yesterday said the proposals were already crystal clear.
"With the boating aspect of the arena, there really is nothing else like this in the world," he said.
"They've actually designed a marina at the back of the site and opened it up to the Nerang River so that ferries and water transport options can be used. Not only does this make the site unique, but it will also help alleviate traffic congestion.
"I believe this stadium will be a world-leader in that aspect.
"The wave-shaped roof will also make it one of the most recognisable venues in the world.
"It's going to be amazing."
An AFL spokesman yesterday confirmed the plans but refused to release completed images.
"The images we have are concept plans of what a stadium might look like, but there is still a way to go," he said. "We're looking at what we would need to do to increase capacity and improve the experience for customers, but I can't comment on when or if these plans will be realised, nor the future of AFL on the Gold Coast.
"We're committed to three years with the Kangaroos at Carrara and we've said we want to hold more games in southeast Queensland by 2015, but right now we're focused on the present.
"There are a lot of things happening with the Kangaroos board but there is still lots to be done."
Not to be outdone, the NRL's Skilled Park at Robina yesterday showed signs of significant progress, with its roof rafters being installed.
Construction of the 25,000-seat stadium is on schedule and the complex is due to open in December.
Once completed, Skilled Park will have 100 open corporate boxes and 28 closed corporate suites, a 500-seat function centre and 16 food and drink outlets.
The western stand will form the showpiece area of the venue, a 14,000sqm stand that will be the base for season ticket-holders.
Outside the stadium, a retail precinct will be built for fans who arrive by rail at Robina station next door, by bus, car or even by watercraft, up the Mudgeeraba Creek at the back of the complex.
However, the source said Skilled Park's waterfront arrivals would be akin to a dinghy compared with Carrara's 'Queen Mary'.
From being a sporting wasteland since the late 1990s that no national code wanted, the Gold Coast has now become a prized possession.
Since the NRL announced that the Titans would be part of its competition all other codes, especially the AFL, have expressed renewed interest in the region.
The AFL's Kangaroos will play five games at Carrara this year as the league attempts to maintain a major presence here among the fans.
The Titans' debut season is also being played out of Carrara.
Gold Coast Bulletin

CoastSportsFan
07-03-13, 04:05 AM
Interesting to read back on this thread and see how much things have changed on the Gold Coast. It is especially interesting to read the LU thread on the same topic found here (http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=171013). If you go through the comments you can see some predictions came true but a lot didn't.

Firstly the article states -

The new stadium would seat 25,000 people. Metricon Stadium currently seats 25,000.
The roof would be wave shaped. The roof is currently wave shaped.
Patrons could arrive by water. Patrons do not currently arrive by water.
The venue would be horse-shoe shaped in design and would face the Nerang river. The stadium is currently horse-shoe shaped and does face the Nerang river.
Ron Clarke stated it is a matter of when not if the Gold Coast would have their own AFL team. Four years later the Gold Coast Suns entered the AFL.
Skilled Park would be opened in December 2007. Skilled Park did open in December 2007.
All sports are interested in the Gold Coast. The AFL, A-League and NBL all started Gold Coastteams later on.

Now the comments -

Carrara Stadium is bad to watch sport at and will never be fixed. The stadium was voted the fans favourite in 2011 with fan viewing being a huge tick mark.
A team won't be started. The Gold Coast Suns entered the AFL in 2011.
Skilled Park should seat 35k-40k because of the huge crowd attendances. The Titans averaged 14,405 at home in 2012.
Money down the drain, Titans have the support. The Titans had 6,674 members in 2012 while the Suns had 11,204.
Ron Clarke has lost the support of the community with over spending and will not be re-elected in 2008. Ron Clarke remained Premier of the Gold Coast until 2012 when he stood down.
A redeveloped Carrara Stadium will not seat over 20k. Metricon Stadium currently seats 25k and has since its opening.
Skilled Park is being built with the plan of being expanded. Skilled Park hasn't shown any sign of being expanded since its opening.
The Titans will have lots of games under 15,000 when the novelty wears off. The Titans averaged 14,405 at home in 2012.

CoastSportsFan
07-03-13, 04:07 AM
Interesting to read back on this thread and see how much things have changed on the Gold Coast. It is especially interesting to read the LU thread on the same topic found here (http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=171013). If you go through the comments you can see some predictions came true but a lot didn't.

Firstly the article states -

The new stadium would seat 25,000 people. Metricon Stadium currently seats 25,000.
The roof would be wave shaped. The roof is currently wave shaped.
Patrons could arrive by water. Patrons do not currently arrive by water.
The venue would be horse-shoe shaped in design and would face the Nerang river. The stadium is currently horse-shoe shaped and does face the Nerang river.
Ron Clarke stated it is a matter of when not if the Gold Coast would have their own AFL team. Four years later the Gold Coast Suns entered the AFL.
Skilled Park would be opened in December 2007. Skilled Park did open in December 2007.
All sports are interested in the Gold Coast. The AFL, A-League and NBL all started Gold Coastteams later on.

Now the comments -

Carrara Stadium is bad to watch sport at and will never be fixed. The stadium was voted the fans favourite in 2011 with fan viewing being a huge tick mark.
A team won't be started. The Gold Coast Suns entered the AFL in 2011.
Skilled Park should seat 35k-40k because of the huge crowd attendances. The Titans averaged 14,405 at home in 2012.
Money down the drain, Titans have the support. The Titans had 6,674 members in 2012 while the Suns had 11,204.
Ron Clarke has lost the support of the community with over spending and will not be re-elected in 2008. Ron Clarke remained Premier of the Gold Coast until 2012 when he stood down.
A redeveloped Carrara Stadium will not seat over 20k. Metricon Stadium currently seats 25k and has since its opening.
Skilled Park is being built with the plan of being expanded. Skilled Park hasn't shown any sign of being expanded since its opening.
The Titans will have lots of games under 15,000 when the novelty wears off. The Titans averaged 14,405 at home in 2012.

I am a fan of all sports and I think the Gold Coast should be proud we have two teams in two national leagues. Go Gold Coast!

C-Whiz
07-03-13, 07:17 AM
I think CoastSportsFan and insideword should get together for coffee.

lonegull
07-03-13, 08:13 AM

totally agree :fight:

TITAN PETE
07-03-13, 08:16 AM

:laugh:
I love how the AFL like to talk up their member numbers which are not true :rolleyes:

He should get his facts right about our numbers which is almost 9000 ;)

CoastSportsFan
07-03-13, 09:10 AM
:laugh:
I love how the AFL like to talk up their member numbers which are not true :rolleyes:

He should get his facts right about our numbers which is almost 9000 ;)

I don't speak for the AFL, I'm just speaking the truth. I read on leagueunlimited that the Titans had that number this year and around 6,700 right now. I'm not sure where you got 9,000 from? Are you talking about something other than memberships?

CoastSportsFan
07-03-13, 09:15 AM
I don't speak for the AFL, I'm just speaking the truth. I read on leagueunlimited that the Titans had that number this year and around 6,700 right now. I'm not sure where you got 9,000 from? Are you talking about something other than memberships?

I meant to say they had that number last year and around 6,700 now.

DIEHARD
07-03-13, 10:40 AM
Oh look it's an AFL troll. The only thing that makes the Gold Coast Suns (A rejected GCNRL mocker) look good is GWS.

Unfortunately we aren't backed by a huge pipeline of AFL slush fund money and have to earn our money. Our stadium was also one of the most expensive in the league to attend. Which David May has worked hard to cut a new deal which will benefit the fans.

In 2013 the Titans will prosper. On and off the field.

Toads
07-03-13, 10:50 AM
The thing is, Gold Coast Suns will face similar hurdles in time. Especially when the AFL funds dry up. They themselves will have to face low crowd numbers, exorbitant fees put on them by Stadiums Queensland and so on. So I wouldn't be beating your chest too much just yet.

With the Titans, we've already endured such obstacles, and things are looking positive towards the future.

Six years on, we're still around. Where will GCS be in 2017 is probably the more prominent question here..

TITAN PETE
07-03-13, 11:27 AM

I suggest u stop reading rubbish & note we are a Rugby League Club & do not care what any AFL supporters have to say about our game as they usually have no idea what they are talking about.

The 9000 members is something Titans members are aware of.

Troll's will be Exterminated ...

Titanic
07-03-13, 12:43 PM
That was truly an interesting thread ... interesting in the fact that some fumbleball clown took the time to put it together.

TITAN PETE
07-03-13, 03:35 PM
That was truly an interesting thread ... interesting in the fact that some fumbleball clown took the time to put it together.

He had to dig deep too :laugh:

Tamwelg
07-03-13, 03:44 PM

My eyes hurt.

Coaster
07-03-13, 08:54 PM
I didn't read it. And apparently I started the thread

Titanic
07-03-13, 10:08 PM
I didn't read it. And apparently I started the thread
There aren't any pictures :laugh:

CoastSportsFan
09-03-13, 10:01 AM
This is the problem with sport on the Gold Coast and why we have never had any team last ten years. It's either one sport or the other up here, everyone is so segregated. The moment anyone brings up AFL it's straight into the gutter talk with your "gAyFL", "fumbleball" etc. comments. Why can't residents of a city actually support all sports teams that represent them? I'm not asking you to attend the games, just be proud of your city's teams. But no, I am instantly branded an "AFL troll" because I want to support something else along with league. I have no doubt almost every one of you want to see the Gold Coast Suns fail and continue this cycle of teams perishing.

Look at all this BS you are all spouting:

Oh look it's an AFL troll. The only thing that makes the Gold Coast Suns (A rejected GCNRL mocker) look good is GWS.

Six years on, we're still around. Where will GCS be in 2017 is probably the more prominent question here..

I suggest u stop reading rubbish & note we are a Rugby League Club & do not care what any AFL supporters have to say about our game as they usually have no idea what they are talking about.

Both the Titans and the Suns can benefit heavily from the whole community embracing both teams. The teams themselves have come together at stages to co-promote so why can't the supports comprehend the concept? Call me what you will but you know deep down what I am saying makes sense. Ask your saviour David May if he sees the benefits of associating the two teams and I guarantee you he will say yes.

If anyone is wondering I attend every Titans home game and have done so for the last four years.

CoastSportsFan
09-03-13, 10:01 AM
This is the problem with sport on the Gold Coast and why we have never had any team last ten years. It's either one sport or the other up here, everyone is so segregated. The moment anyone brings up AFL it's straight into the gutter talk with your "gAyFL", "fumbleball" etc. comments. Why can't residents of a city actually support all sports teams that represent them? I'm not asking you to attend the games, just be proud of your city's teams. But no, I am instantly branded an "AFL troll" because I want to support something else along with league. I have no doubt almost every one of you want to see the Gold Coast Suns fail and continue this cycle of teams perishing.

Look at all this BS you are all spouting:

Both the Titans and the Suns can benefit heavily from the whole community embracing both teams. The teams themselves have come together at stages to co-promote so why can't the supports comprehend the concept? Call me what you will but you know deep down what I am saying makes sense. Ask your saviour David May if he sees the benefits of associating the two teams and I guarantee you he will say yes.

If anyone is wondering I attend every Titans home game and have done so for the last four years.

Toads
09-03-13, 10:20 AM
Excuse me, Champ. Care to point out the bull**** that I posted. It appears you failed to comprehend my question correctly.

Thing is, you're the square peg trying to fit into a round hole here. You are the odd on out with both AFL and NRL fans. The majority doesn't care for the other code. It's as simple as that.

If you want prove me wrong. Show some facts to how many Gold Coast Suns supporters have turned up to a Titans Home Game?

I personally used to support Gold Coast Blaze and Gold Coast United when they were around. I even tried with the Suns in their inaugural year. But I just don't appreciate the game enough. As someone mentioned to me years ago, it resembles a bunch of seagulls fighting over a hot chip, I just don't get it.

CoastSportsFan
09-03-13, 10:38 AM
Excuse me, Champ. Care to point out the bull**** that I posted. It appears you failed to comprehended my question correctly.

With bull**** remarks like what you mentioned. I do now believe you are indeed the troll here. Do me a favour 'n give yourself an uppercut..

Your comment seemed to suggest that the Suns won't exist in 2017. Perhaps I read it wrong but when you preface a statement with "Six years on, we're still around" it's hard not to read the comment the way I did. Aside from your comment, the rest of them clearly show posters branding me a troll or abusing the sport of AFL in some way.

I know David May comes on this forum and I would really like to see him respond to my notion that the teams and their supporters should be working together. You may not want to listen to me but perhaps your CEO can enable you to see the point.

Toads
09-03-13, 10:45 AM
Did you give yourself that uppercut yet?

Toads
09-03-13, 11:16 AM
Your comment seemed to suggest that the Suns won't exist in 2017. Perhaps I read it wrong but when you preface a statement with "Six years on, we're still around" it's hard not to read the comment the way I did. Aside from your comment, the rest of them clearly show posters branding me a troll or abusing the sport of AFL in some way.

I know David May comes on this forum and I would really like to see him respond to my notion that the teams and their supporters should be working together. You may not want to listen to me but perhaps your CEO can enable you to see the point.

If you weren't one of these hit 'n run posters. That logs out, trawls a thread until there's a reply, then logs back in to reply, then logs out again. You would've seen I edited my comment some 3 minutes before you posted.

I've been there and done that with the Suns. It's just not for me. I to was a proud Gold Coaster for 30 odd years as well that tried to support all of our National Codes.

But even if David wanted us NRL fans to unite with AFL fans. It's just not going to happen. You know why, I'll spell it out for you. It comes down to each individuals personal choice. No CEO in this country is going to change that.

On the flipside, does the Gold Coast Suns have a forum that we can put forward your very own questions that you're asking here? Let's try the very same experiment you're trying here, but with the Suns fans instead. Or don't they have a forum?

EDIT: ****in' Hell. 656 views to this thread. How many times have you hitting the refresh tab?

Titanic
09-03-13, 11:41 AM
You forgot to add Australian Fairy League and Victardmania into your very apt list of descriptions of that hybrid game. My comments in particular were about the totally inappropriate nature of your posting in this forum rather than an attack on your "other" passion ... I'll save that for another day but nice of you to pop in.

DIEHARD
09-03-13, 11:54 AM
Come off it CoastAFLTroll. Dont pull this carebear Coastal sport bullcrap when you come here on the attack from the get go. You are what you do. Hence you have been tagged a troll by all here.

And you are a troll. We are all very comfortable with how our sport and club is performing and we don't get any favours and slush fund pipe line from the NRL like the Suns do from the AFL.

If anyone here is disputing the viability of the Suns, it comes down to how will they cope when they have to compete on a level playing field in several years time.

I think the Suns should survive and hope they will for the sake of brand GOLD COAST. But I also think that you are a drop kick.

Toads
09-03-13, 01:44 PM

So you're a member. What's your name and membership number?
You'd be a twit not being a member and purchasing tickets to every home game for four years straight.

Here's mine..

Dale Watson
Membership number: 12701

Out yourself.