PDA

View Full Version : What do Manly fans think?

Dakink
10-11-05, 02:38 PM
Manly to play one game at SCG next year
Written by: Sea Eagles media

Manly will move its NRL round eight home game against Parramatta to the Sydney Cricket Ground next season.

The match will mark 30-years since the two clubs clashed in a grand final decider which Manly won 13-10.

Manly has not played at the SCG since its 1987 grand final victory against Canberra.

DIEHARD
10-11-05, 03:46 PM
Sounds great, should be well received!

DIEHARD
10-11-05, 03:47 PM
Manly v Parramatta at the SCG

The Sydney Cricket Ground will be the venue for a special celebration NRL blockbuster fixture when Manly-Warringah plays Parramatta in round eight on the weekend of April 28-30 next year.

The Sea Eagles-Eels match will mark 30 years since the two clubs clashed in a thrilling Grand Final decider which saw Manly victorious by 13-10.

The match is Manly?s home game and the club has agreed to play the match at the Rugby League?s legendary headquarters, the SCG.

It will be the first time Manly has played at the SCG since the last Grand Final was played at the ground in 1987 ? one year before Aussie Stadium (formerly the Sydney Football Stadium) was opened.

Parramatta?s last game at the SCG was a year earlier when Mick Cronin landed two goals for the Eels to defeat Canterbury-Bankstown 4-2 in a tryless decider.

Manly Chief Executive Mr Pat Wilson said the SCG match will stir great memories for fans of both clubs as well as provide younger fans with a taste of Rugby League?s great tradition and heritage.

?The SCG holds a special place in Rugby League,? said Mr Wilson.

?Everyone aspires to play sport on the SCG and it will be a very special day for all Manly and Parramatta players and fans as we celebrate 30 years since the 1976 Grand Final,? he added.

In attendance at today?s announcement at the SCG were Manly?s long serving international forward Steve Menzies and NSW Origin second-rower Anthony Watmough.

Menzies has played over 200 games for Manly since making his debut in 1993 but has never played a match at the SCG.

?It has always been an ambition to play at the SCG and now the opportunity is coming,? said Menzies.

Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust Chief Executive, Mr Jamie Barkley, paid tribute to Manly for playing this home match at the SCG.

?This is a great opportunity for the fans to experience the SCG?s wonderful Rugby League tradition and we anticipate a 30,000 crowd to attend.

?It will be the only Rugby League game played on the SCG in 2006 and it will be must see game for supporters of both clubs and the game in general,? he added.

Source: http://www.NRL.com

SaRaH...
10-11-05, 03:47 PM
I reakon it's crap cause i'm only 16 and I can't drive yet so i can't get there unless i spend half a day on public transport to get there....and i don't really want to be doing that with my 7 year old brother...but if i really wanna see them play Parra then i'll get there some how...

Ipswich Fan
10-11-05, 03:56 PM
I think it's a great idea as it's one of rugby league's great rivalries & they played some great games there including 3 GF's.

Cliffy GC
10-11-05, 06:17 PM
i hate it
for one reason its celebrating 30 years of the 1976 GF
and me be born in the pre season of 76 means i will be 30 when that game is played and i bloody hate that thought

The Original Idiot
10-11-05, 08:15 PM
Take a leaf from football (the round ball kind) and NEVER play in an oval. The supporters are much too far away from the action and less of an atmosphere is created.

Dakink
11-11-05, 10:27 AM
Mind you the Souths v Dragons games played there have had an awesome atmosphere because of the history of the place.

Eel 33
14-11-05, 12:16 AM
Remembering here ppl that when the 76 gf was played, no one complained about the game being played at an "oval" ground, you just went and supported your team. We are spoilt these days with the modern stadiums that the games are played at. I wasn't born when this game was played but I appreciate what Manly are trying to do, relive a little piece of the past. I'll be going if I can. And Sarah, don't whinge about the public transport, it maybe another 30 years before they play there again. I'm sure your little bro would appreciate the occaision. And who knows, if you don't go, you may kick yourself and regret your decision.

Ipswich Fan
14-11-05, 12:39 AM
I feel old, i was 3 going on 4 when that game was played.