PDA

View Full Version : Injuries troubles for Country Titans

Titanium_BD1103
04-05-07, 08:50 AM
Well this is not good news at all for me coming out of City vs Country. I am super happy City won, but the injuries to both key players in Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi is not good... :(

Preston Campbell has a suspected cruciate knee ligament damage which if confirmed could put him out for 4-6 weeks, and Laffranchi has a suspected broken nose.

I am not surprised if the GC go on the war path about City vs Country today, they have every right to after last night.... shame that it had to happen, as both did really well and it should be their performances and not their injuries that are making back page headlines.

Section of article from: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21669171-5006066,00.html

Bush warfare takes heavy toll
By Steve Mascord in Coffs Harbour
May 04, 2007 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

PRESTON Campbell suffered suspected cruciate knee ligament damage and Brett Kimmorley was knocked senseless in an injury-strewn City-Country battle at Coffs Harbour last night.
NSW selector Bob McCarthy strongly suggested the experience of Anthony Minichiello and Braith Anasta would win them selection for the opening Origin game while Country's Brett White and City's Ryan Hoffman could have played themselves into the Blues line-up as Tim Sheens' men won 12-6 at Coffs Harbour's BCU Stadium.

But even McCarthy's revelation that rugby union-bound Timana Tahu would be strongly considered and Craig Fitzgibbon's announcement that his representative career was likely over were overshadowed by a Country casualty list headed by halfback Kimmorley (concussion), replacement Campbell (knee), winger Josh Morris (hip flexor), second-rower Fitzgibbon (cheekbone) and fellow forward Anthony Laffranchi (nose). City's Jason King also suffered a rib injury.

Kimmorley, knocked out trying to tackle Ryan Hoffman in the 37th minute, hopes to play for Cronulla against the Warriors tomorrow, but Country sources late last night said Campbell had probably damaged the posterior cruciate in his left knee, meaning four to six weeks on the sidelines.

"I was crawling on the ground and someone's come along and whacked me on the back of the calf," Campbell said.

"We're not sure what's wrong with it. I felt something click in the back of my knee.

"I've got full movement and everything there . . . I'll see how it pulls up in the morning and take it from there. If it's still sore I'll definitely have to get a scan or something done."

Queenslander
04-05-07, 08:58 AM
I have no idea why you New South Welshman hold onto a game which is useless as it doesn't do what it was originally intended to do......decide who will be in the NSW side.

If a player can't prove themselves in a NRL season than they can't in a single game.

Titanium_BD1103
04-05-07, 09:03 AM
I have no idea why you New South Welshman hold onto a game which is useless as it doesn't do what it was originally intended to do......decide who will be in the NSW side.

If a player can't prove themselves in a NRL season than they can't in a single game.

Queenslander, we hold onto the game because of it's tradition and the fact of what it is.... a chance for the players of the game to go to the country and for the country folk to see a game of rugby league and to meet with their idols, something they would normally not get to do.

The crowd at Coffs of 8000 in a 17 000 seat stadium illustrates that perhaps this is starting to wane though, and it is time for a rethink... but Country vs City is a piece of tradition and for the NSW public, something we all, even if we don't like to admit it, would see saddened to be removed from the landscape. It is important part of getting Country fans interested in Rugby League too.. and it has been the selling point for many juniors playing league over the years.

QLD has the QLD cup to call it's own and that is the pride of QLD, back in the day, that same pride was shown to City vs Country and there is hope in every New South Wales supporter that the game could one day get that pride back and be the spectacle it deserves to be... but as long as the selectors keep treating it as second rate, it will be second rate.

Queenslander
04-05-07, 09:14 AM
Queensland used to have its own 1st grade City vs Country but soon realized that it was useless. But we still have a version of it in the Queensland Cup if I remember correctly but only serves as an extra game in the Queensland Cup....nothing more.

The NSW city vs country game only bolsters Queensland in the long run and hurts the individual clubs. As all you do is knock yourself silly and go back to your clubs all worse for wear.

Plus if the game is to show off the game in the "country" then the game should go to the country not Coffs Harbour ;) It appears that the people at the top don't want it, and if fans don't turn up to it, then the people at the top will assume that the fans don't as well.

Steve
04-05-07, 11:06 AM
I saw Preston drop the ground when running, but he got up and kept going, so I thought he was okay. I guess not. :/

Bad bad news, two of our best players this year.

coldhardbitch
04-05-07, 11:26 AM
I think the game is a joke, and now we we have lost our best player for up to 6 weeks, and Laffranchi probably for a week or 2 also.

Why do NSW persist with this so-called 'Origin trial'. Queensland don't need a trial.

If NSW are so worried about promoting bush games, they should have some of their 10 Sydney clubs go and play home matches out there.

Boofhead
04-05-07, 11:39 AM
**** sakes... New South Wales and their ****ty tradition. I didn't even watch the game because I have no interest at all. 2 of our best players gone for a while... GFG.

Coaster
04-05-07, 01:20 PM
Even if the game is tradition, its a joke.

Why call it City vs Country, when every player was in the NRL.

At least give Country players a chance at the side.

What a pathetic game of football also, was painfull to watch. Add the fact Nine::: showed a 80 minute game over 2 1/2 hours with a full hour of adverts, please!!

Cowboy Titan
04-05-07, 01:25 PM
Campbell knee injury a blow to Titans

04May07

Preston Campbell look set to miss up to six weeks following a injury to his knee during the City v Country match this week.

THE Gold Coast Titans dynamic fullback Preston Campbell looks certain to miss Monday night?s showdown with the Cowboys at Carrara.

Campbell damaged his knee in last night?s City v Country match in Coffs harbour and could be out of action for for the rest of the month.

Campbell will meet with doctors to day to determine the extent of the injury.

Anthony Laffranchi who also played in the same match suffered a broken nose. The other Titan to have also played in the clash, Mark Minichiello, is believed to have escaped injury.

It is believed Campbell's posterior cruciate ligament injury could keep him from playing for up to six weeks.

His exit will cause a reshuffle of the Titan backline.

Centre Mat Rogers will no doubt be one player coach John Cartwright will consider to fill the fullback position.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2007/05/04/4919_sports.html

Social Loafer
04-05-07, 01:29 PM
But even McCarthy's revelation that rugby union-bound Timana Tahu would be strongly considered and Craig Fitzgibbon's announcement that his representative career was likely over were overshadowed by a Country casualty list headed by halfback Kimmorley (concussion), replacement Campbell (knee), winger Josh Morris (hip flexor), second-rower Fitzgibbon (cheekbone) and fellow forward Anthony Laffranchi (nose). City's Jason King also suffered a rib injury.

No mention of Phil Graham?? Disgraceful journalism.. Then again he plays for Canberra so it isn't worthy of news in the precious Sydney Media.

Capital_Shark
04-05-07, 01:54 PM
Laffranchi is gonna b*tch out of a match because of a broken nose? John Sattler is up there on the coast, get him to teach Laffranchi a thing or two about toughness and playing with injury.

Tamwelg
04-05-07, 02:01 PM
Centre Mat Rogers will no doubt be one player coach John Cartwright will consider to fill the fullback position.

Roger is an option, with Graham moving into the centers, but I'd prefer to see what Mathers has to offer.

DIEHARD
04-05-07, 02:02 PM
OMG!

I didn't even see the game and I'm shattered reading this news!

Bloody City v Country, people love to talk about our over burdened players we'll I will tell you what the weakest link in the schedule is....THIS.

And it is all for nothing, it isn't even a fair dinkum match.

Related the CVC to QLD Cup is silly. Especially considering if you want to look for pride and history, at least the NRL is based off the old NSWRL competition.

This is just a gimmick and it hasn't bothered me much if Blues want to bash Blues until I started to support a team with a large number of New South Welshmen. But most fans of other clubs would have to feel the same.

This is terrible, terrible news...

Coaster
04-05-07, 02:14 PM
Lafranci wont miss a game, surely.

He seems alot tougher than that

patskE
04-05-07, 02:38 PM
if rogers goes fb, i rkn u see webster to center n paea to wing
i rkn give mathers a go

patskE
04-05-07, 02:40 PM
just goto say
good feeling knowing we got 2nd choice english fullback, ex australia union fullback n a few young kids in qld cup dieing for a chance to claim this spot as their own
i rkn when campbell comes back
he have to move to 5/8 cause the fullback will be going great i rkn

patskE
04-05-07, 02:48 PM
"Campbell's exit will cause a reshuffle of the Titans backline with coach John Cartwright deciding to blood Richie Mathers in the fullback position in his debut NRL match for the Titans."

taken from http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2007/05/04/4919_sports.html

Robbie_Dee
04-05-07, 04:39 PM
What a shame! That is horrible news!!! 2 of Titans best players, now gone!

That will make a lot easier for the oppositions with 2 players of such a high caliber gone!

Tamwelg
04-05-07, 04:44 PM
"Campbell's exit will cause a reshuffle of the Titans backline with coach John Cartwright deciding to blood Richie Mathers in the fullback position in his debut NRL match for the Titans."

taken from http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2007/05/04/4919_sports.html

Can't wait to see what Mathers has to offer in the NRL

Hoppy2007Dragons
04-05-07, 06:00 PM
While every one is happy to bag the city v country fixture, ask any player that participated injuried or not whether the regret playing the answer will be no, ignore the tradition and the passion and the advantage it brings to certain rural parts of nsw(dubbo absoulutly love this fixture, they go mad, as my grandparents inform me when it is on there)

the game is all about stepping up, true it may not be state of origin or international, but its a step up for all the players, the are thrown in the deep end without the familiairty of club mates and conditions and they have to gel as best they can to help their possible future rep claims and to help futhur themselves as players.

And by the way NSW has the city vs country origin trial but,

Did it ever occur to anyone why the cowboys, titans and broncos all asked and aranged schedules to play each other once before origin. :)

The game means somethign to the players and to cetain parts of the community so it should stay, also u can blame channel 9 for the thursday night scehdule, they wanted to keep theri 2 friday night games and all the viewers that arn't interested would have been forced to watch it on friday night, where their are other good quality programs on thursday nights i'm sure on some other channel.

tom91
04-05-07, 06:05 PM
Man thats a real drag about Campbell, i think Lafranchi should still play (think about it Shane Webcke played a grand final with a broken arm),,, i watched that game last night for like 20 mins,,it was soooo boring, there was no atmosphere or anything,, i rekon they should scrap city vs country, no one really gives a **** about it anyway. I think they should leave Rogers in centre while hes still getting used to league & move in a new fullback.

Sesenta Nueve
04-05-07, 07:04 PM
If Mathers starts he won,t let us down, he rarely had a bad game in the uk games i used to watch him in and can read the oppositions tactics well.

RobJ
04-05-07, 07:17 PM
City vs Country is a game I've never taken any interest in at all in any year and never watched a game of it...and being a diehard Queenslander I guess thats why.

Surely now though, after the injury toll, they have to rethink the reasons for this game.

As for our guys injured.....BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIEHARD
05-05-07, 04:07 AM
Injured Preston sorry for the Titans fans

GOLD Coast Titans matchwinner Preston Campbell was more concerned yesterday about letting his teammates and fans down than the knee injury which could sideline him for up to six weeks.

"I have been feeling really bad, disappointed, even depressed," he revealed moments after visiting Titans head medico Dr Paul Ohmsen yesterday.

"I am not feeling sorry for myself, but for the team, the fact that I will not be out there doing my best for them.

"I want to help so much, as much as I can.

"I just hope the fans understand. I would love to be out there. And they, the fans, have been so unbelievable for this team so far.

"We would not be doing so well if it wasn't for them."

Campbell, the Titans first signing who as fullback has formed a brilliant attacking partnership with halfback Scott Prince, injured his left knee playing for Country on Thursday night.

He will find out results of scans today, but Dr Ohmsen confirmed there had been some damage to the posterior cruciate ligament.

Early indications are that he will be sidelined for between four and six weeks.

Yesterday Campbell was ruing his run of bad luck since signing with the Titans early last year.

In his final game for Penrith in 2006 he injured his ankle, which required surgery. Then on Thursday night he came off the bench in the City v Country game in Coffs Harbour only to be injured in the last two minutes of that clash.

"I just went into a tackle (with the ball) and went down on my hands and knees when someone came in from behind and went 'whack' into my leg," he explained.

"First it felt like a cork and I just jumped up and played the ball. Then we put a kick down field and I went to chase and couldn't move my leg.

What is most frustrating for Campbell is that he had found his niche in the team.

Despite early concerns about his ability under the high ball, the 29-year-old has proven in recent weeks what a potent weapon he can be with the Number 1 on his back.

Preston's injury blow has highlighted his close bond with partner Lee, who was at Coffs for the game.

"I am the sort of bloke who will probably go home and mope about this," he said.

"But Lee will snap me out of it. She has been doing that for a while.

Source: Gold Coast Bulletin

lonegull
05-05-07, 11:20 AM
real shame preston could have been a bolter for the nsw bench

redback71
07-05-07, 01:38 PM
so is Anthony Laffranchi deffinatley out tonight

Dakink
07-05-07, 03:49 PM
Anthony is playing according to the latest radio news.

Old Diehard
07-05-07, 06:19 PM
A couple of themes a go I joked about seeing the NSW players get stuck into each other in that trial rep. match last thursday...But with kick off soon I'm sorry to see Preston won't be playing....Please NSWRL, next year play your trial game, but don't pick any players out of Qld based clubs!