PDA

View Full Version : QLD: Prince reigns but no hope of Origin crown

Tamwelg
30-04-07, 08:30 AM
Source: www.gcbulletin.com.au

Prince reigns but no hope of Origin crown

Adam Gardini
30Apr07

TITANS coach John Cartwright last night conceded he felt sorry for brilliant halfback Scott Prince being stuck in the same era as dominant Australian halves Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston.

Prince confirmed his standing as one of the most dangerous ball players in the NRL at Gold Coast Stadium yesterday with another untouchable display for the Titans.

The former Queensland State of Origin halfback guided the Titans to their fourth win of the season, setting up five of their seven tries in yesterday's 38-12 hammering of Parramatta.

It has been a similar story all season for Prince and the Titans and despite the 27-year-old's stellar form, he faces the almost impossible task of dethroning Lockyer and Thurston for another crack at Origin football for Queensland.

Lockyer and Thurston have formed a formidable combination for the Maroons during the last two Origin series' and also for Australia at international level since last year's Tri-Nations.

"Halfbacks over decades, there always seem to be a good crop of halves," said Cartwright. "But at the moment you'd have to say he's definitely unlucky to be caught behind them.

"If Lockyer wasn't there Princey could play half and Thurston to five-eighth but they're not going to move Locky from No.6 and Thurston's the heir apparent so he's got to go in as well.

"You definitely feel for him but he's got over that stage.

"I think if he was a bit younger it might worry him a bit but he's done everything in the game and wants to do well for the club.

"You never know, opportunities may arise -- I saw he was on standby (for Australia) last week if anything happened and footy is a funny game, things can change from week to week."

Prince played for Queensland in all three matches during the 2004 Origin series before the emergence of Thurston as a top-class halfback after switching from five-eighth in his first season with the North Queensland Cowboys.

While admitting it was difficult knowing he was stuck behind the Australian halves combination, the Titans' co-captain said he was gaining endless amounts of satisfaction out of his leadership role for the Gold Coast during their historic first season.

"It is hard. Once you've had a taste of that sort of footy (Origin) you definitely want more but at the moment it's a difficult situation playing behind two Australian halves," said Prince.

"But at the end of the day, what I'm satisfied with is playing well for my team, and I'm happy with that. If I concentrate on things outside of what I can control I think it takes the focus off your football and what you're doing here at the club.

"All I can do is play good, consistent football and every player will tell you that, but you've just got to wait.

"Injuries do happen. You don't wish them on anybody but there's a chance of that happening throughout the series.

"Both Thurston and Locky are playing outstanding footy so all I've got to do is sit and wait."

In a scary thought, Prince added that his drive to perfect his game was also providing him with motivation every week in the NRL.

"I know I can improve and that's what I want to do," he said.

"The coaches want a perfect game of football and as a player I want the perfect game of football, with no missed tackles and all the rest of it.

"I work on my game every week and I want to get better."

Cartwright said Prince had been leading by example on and off the field since joining the Titans.

"I'm really happy with the responsibility he's taken on his shoulders," he said. "He's a real leader and you need that. Not just being a new club, you need that at any club.

"The way he's come through that ankle injury, he's a thorough professional and the blokes are really feeding off him."

Tamwelg
30-04-07, 08:31 AM
You've got to feel for Prince a bit, he is a brilliant player in brilliant form, hopefully he can earn a spot on the bench.

Cowboy Titan
30-04-07, 12:26 PM
Qld just have too many quality backs at the moment.

If I was the selector, I'd have Prince & Thurston in the halves. I think both have outclassed Lockyer this year.

Lockyer won't get dumped so hopefully he'll retire from rep games in a year or 2 so that Prince & Thursty can become a dominant force for a few years.

Tamwelg
30-04-07, 12:31 PM
Qld just have too many quality backs at the moment.

If I was the selector, I'd have Prince & Thurston in the halves. I think both have outclassed Lockyer this year.

Lockyer won't get dumped so hopefully he'll retire from rep games in a year or 2 so that Prince & Thursty can become a dominant force for a few years.

How about Prince and Thurston at 5/8 and half back and Lockyer at fullback.

Tamwelg
30-04-07, 01:44 PM
Source: www.nrl.com.au

Prince hungry to play Origin: Bailey

Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:17 PM

Test forward Luke Bailey has revealed Gold Coast teammate Scott Prince is desperate for another crack in the State of Origin arena.

Prince has been one of the form halfbacks in the NRL this season but he's unlikely to be included in the Maroons squad for the opening Origin in Brisbane on May 23 while Kangaroos halves Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston remain injury-free.

"I was talking to him yesterday and he said he just can't wait to get another crack (at Origin)," Bailey said on Monday about fellow Titans co-captain Prince.

"I know Johnathan Thurston's the talk of the town and he's playing good footy but Prince is a tough character and he's a good defensive halfback.

"He really demands the respect of his players.

"Hopefully he does get a call-up. Surely you can fit him somewhere in the side."

Prince was again the spearhead for Gold Coast's attack on Sunday at Carrara where he was involved in five of his side's seven tries in their 38-12 hammering of Parramatta.

Titans dual international centre Mat Rogers marvelled at Prince's sill with the ball in hand.

"He mesmerises me when I'm watching him, just the way he dances around," Rogers said.

"It's almost like the ball disappears and that's why his dummy works so well.

"It's a pleasure to play with him."

Asked about Prince's likely omission from the Maroons squad, Rogers said: "I'm not disappointed with that because I want him to play for us every week.

"I feel for the guy. He's done it before and played well at Origin level (three games in 2004).

"If he got the opportunity to do it, he'd kill it again I've got no doubt.

"I think Princey's in career-best form."

Former Kangaroos halfback Prince, 27, will go head-to-head with Thurston on Monday night when North Queensland travels to the Gold Coast.

Titans football manager Scott Sattler said on Monday Prince had rediscovered his form of 2005 when he guided Wests Tigers to their maiden premiership.

"He had a lot playing on his mind last year at the Tigers knowing he was moving on," said Sattler, who played alongside Prince at the joint venture club in 2004.

"He's held in the highest regard in rugby league and he's now one of those marquee players.

"When any team prepares to play the Gold Coast ... he is the player they try to concentrate on, like we will with Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen.

"I think he's up there with that echelon of player.

"He's won a premiership, played for his state and his country.

"He's done everything you can in rugby league and his next priority would be to make sure the Gold Coast is a formidable team."

It's fair to say he's already achieved that.

Source: AAP

Steve
30-04-07, 02:29 PM
Looks like a lot of quality players will be missing out on both sides of the border.

I'd probably pick Prince over Lockyer, leaving room for Bowen instead of Hunt, making it a much stronger team.

As a blues supporter though, please, select Lockyer, Hunt, Tate, most definitely leave out players like Bowen and Prince. ;)

Robbie_Dee
30-04-07, 03:28 PM
How about Prince and Thurston at 5/8 and half back and Lockyer at fullback.We got enough fullbacks as it is so no need. But Lockyer/Thurston is an awesome partnership, one that shouldn't be broken. But when Locky does retire, Prince and Thurston will be just as good! Things are lookin good for QLD in the future!!!

Ryan
30-04-07, 03:31 PM
Looks like a lot of quality players will be missing out on both sides of the border.

I'd probably pick Prince over Lockyer, leaving room for Bowen instead of Hunt, making it a much stronger team.

I agree, but being realistic, can't see anyone being picked over Lockyer. I'd choose Slater and Bowen over Hunt, but Tate is still worthy. I was hoping Thurston was going to have a real crap start to the season to increase Prince's chances of selection, but looks like injury is going to be his only hope. I just don't see Prince as a bench player like Berrigan.

patskE
30-04-07, 04:06 PM
qld have enough backs to field 2 teams

Steelers
30-04-07, 06:08 PM
All it takes is an injury to Johnathon Thurston...... hmmm....... And he's going to be on the Coast this weekend..... hmmmmmm

;)

But seriously, all it takes is for Thurston to have a bad season this year, a bad start to next season as well, while Princey plays the house down, and hopefully you will see him in the 2008 SOO squad and possibly the WC squad. All he needs to concentrate on is performing like he is, and hopefully his rewards will come, because he deserves them! (He would be a certain starter for NSW ATM I reckon)

Chaos
30-04-07, 07:20 PM
Prince has outplayed Thurston in the last two games I've seen and the Titans vs Cowboys will be an interesting game next week.

If Thurston and Lockyer are going to be the QLD halves...I'd throw Prince in Lock. We could attack both sides of the ruck at once...would be very effective, especially with the quality of outside backs the Queensland side has.

jake86
30-04-07, 08:11 PM
Bit too much of a risk to throw him in at lock though, especially in origin.

The only way i can think to play all three, is to put lockyer at fullback (his best position still), but that will not happen. Unless Thurston/Prince takes Berros spot on the bench, but even then, the only postions they cover are the halves.

Unfortunately, I think Prince will only get a chance through injury.

Chaos
01-05-07, 05:42 PM
Bit too much of a risk to throw him in at lock though, especially in origin.

Every decision has an element of risk...what risk are you referring to?

Steelers
01-05-07, 05:58 PM
I think throwing Princey at lock wouldn't be a good idea, as QLD haven't exactly have the abundance of forwards available that NSW have. We need all the forwards we can squeeze in there. The backline however, is another thing altogether. We are struggling to keep them out of there :p

Chaos
01-05-07, 08:36 PM
I think throwing Princey at lock wouldn't be a good idea, as QLD haven't exactly have the abundance of forwards available that NSW have. We need all the forwards we can squeeze in there. The backline however, is another thing altogether. We are struggling to keep them out of there :p

The idea is to play an attacking style instead of smashing one up the middle into NSW big forwards.
Prince is as tough as a forward with the extra football brain and skill of a halve.
Try and picture it...the NSW forwards wouldn't know which way to defend.

Capital_Shark
01-05-07, 08:55 PM
The idea is to play an attacking style instead of smashing one up the middle into NSW big forwards.
Prince is as tough as a forward with the extra football brain and skill of a halve.
Try and picture it...the NSW forwards wouldn't know which way to defend.

I see what your saying but its not gonna happen. QLD usually opts for the riskier selections than NSW but Prince at lock I cannot see.

And to the people who reckon they'd pick Prince over Lockyer this year: get your head checked. Same goes for people talking Lockyer to fullback to make way for Prince in the halves. Regardless of how the Ponies are performing, Lockyer is a champion and will perform and lift the team when they need it. Not to mention the incumbent WINNING AUSTRALIAN and QLD Captain does not get dropped for an inform, unproven halfback who hasn't worked up any combination with the other bloke playing in the halves.

Its tough luck for Prince but thats the price thats paid for having a strong competition. We're gonna have a couple disappointed and unlucky halves and a truckload of unlucky fullbacks. Lockyer will probably hang the rep boots up after Australia wins the World Cup, if Prince keeps up his form, he'll most likely be welcomed into the QLD, and probably Australian, halves spot.