PDA

View Full Version : Round 8: Gold Coast Titans vs North Queensland Cowboys

DIEHARD
30-04-07, 12:32 AM
Gold Coast Titans vs North Queensland Cowboys
Monday 7th May, 7pm; Carrara Stadium

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg v http://www.suppawters.com/images/nrl_cowboys.gif

Referee: Ben Cummins

Team Notes:

Titans

Preston Campbell will miss up to six weeks after injuring his knee in the City-Country Origin game in Coffs Harbour.

A Titans spokesman said Campbell tore the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his knee late in the game.

The injury will not require surgery but the foundation signing is expected to be out for four to six weeks.

Meanwhile, English recruit Richie Mathers will make his NRL debut at full-back
Cowboys

Teams:

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx15325.gif

1. Preston Campbell
2. Matt Petersen
3 Mat Rogers
4 Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Clint Amos
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain
Interchange:

14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Josh Graham
17. Nathan Friend
18. Gavin Cooper
19. Lelea Paea
20. Richie Mathers

Cowboys

1 Matt Bowen
2 Brenton Bowen
3 Ben Farrar
4 Paul Bowman
5 Scott Minto
6 Jason Smith
7 Johnathan Thurston (c)
8 Matthew Scott
9 Aaron Payne
10 Ray Cashmere
11 Steve Southern
12 Jacob Lillyman
13 Justin Smith
Interchange:

14 Rod Jensen
15 Sione Faumuina
16 Carl Webb
17 Shane Tronc

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information***

Queenslander
30-04-07, 04:11 PM
Titans on Webb-watch
April 30, 2007 01:50pm

GOLD Coast co-captain Luke Bailey believes Carl Webb's likely return to the Cowboys side will prevent any complacency creeping into the Titans camp.

Queensland Origin prop Webb is expected to return from a broken jaw for the Cowboys' NRL clash with Gold Coast at Carrara on Monday night.

His inclusion would be a major boost to the Cowboys following the loss to injury of Test forward Luke O'Donnell, centre Ashley Graham and Kiwi hooker David Faiumu.

Kangaroo and NSW prop Bailey told AAP he hoped Webb was cleared to play because it would provide the ideal test for both forwards in the lead-up to State of Origin I in Brisbane on May 23.

"I'd rather he did play," Bailey said following a recovery session in the pool today.

"We've had a couple of good cracks at each other over the years.

"It's been a bit of a laugh. If there's any chance of complacency creeping in (for the Titans), there won't be any with Webby there because he inspires their forwards and leads by examples."

The Titans are entitled to be confident after smashing the Eels 38-12 yesterday at Gold Coast Stadium, where they remain undefeated.

Bailey doesn't expect Webb to be anywhere near his best on Monday night but he is still wary of the danger the Maroons forward poses.

Webb, whose jaw was shattered five weeks ago against St George Illawarra, was initially expected to be sidelined for two months.

"Webby will try to fire the boys up about not playing that good while Luke O'Donnell's out and doing it for him," said Bailey, who had a memorable brush with Webb in the 2005 Origin series.

"I think (playing for) Queensland will be in the back of his mind and his main priority will be his safety and getting through a game.

"I know he's a madman but he looks after his body.

"He might be coming back a bit early and his jaw might not be too flash."

Webb told the Sunday Mail newspaper yesterday: "The injury won't spook me. It won't stop me running and tackling the way I want to."

Titans football manager Scott Sattler said defence would be the key against Cowboys dangermen Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen.

"It's going to be an open style of rugby league," Sattler predicted.

"Our preparation will have to be a little more on cue this week because they ask a lot more questions of you defensively."

Country Origin representatives Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi will be expected to back up for the Titans after playing against City in Coffs Harbour on Thursday.

The Courier Mail

Cowboy Titan
01-05-07, 04:50 PM
Gold Coast Titans

Run on team

1. Preston Campbell
2. Matt Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Clint Amos
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Josh Graham
17. Nathan Friend
18. Gavin Cooper
19. Lelea Paea
20. Richie Mathers
(three to be omitted)

Coach: John Cartwright

North Queensland Cowboys

Run on team:

1 Matt Bowen
2 Brenton Bowen
3 Ben Farrar
4 Paul Bowman
5 Scott Minto
6 Jason Smith
7 Johnathan Thurston ?
8 Matthew Scott
9 Aaron Payne (vc)
10 Ray Cashmere
11 Steve Southern
12 Jacob Lillyman
13 Justin Smith

Interchange:

14 Rod Jensen
15 Sione Faumuina
16 Carl Webb
17 Shane Tronc

Coach: Graham Murray

Referee and Match Officials

GAME: Gold Coast Titans V North Qld Cowboys
DATE: Monday 7th May 2007
Venue: Carrara Stadium
NRL Kick Off: 7pm
Referee: Ben Cummins
Colour: Orange
Sideline Officials: Matt Cecchin, Steve Lyons
Video Referee: Tim Mander

Coaster
01-05-07, 04:59 PM
Great news Webb is back so early, but why this week LOL.

I would rather he didnt play, but hopefully he gets though the game ok.

So now that makes 3 Match ups

Thurston vs Prince
Bowen vs Cambell
Webb vs Bailey

This is going to be a dead set cracker.

Carn Titans

Robbie_Dee
01-05-07, 05:01 PM
Good to see Farrar and Minto retain their spots, both played very good for their first matches in cowboys colours!!! But i would like to see Bowman in the forwards, he doesn't offer much in attack these days, and he is just holding out young kids like Mark Henry, who has massive potential! Ty Williams is still yet to come back, so things are looking good in the back line department.

Carl Webb coming back this week would be very handy, up against Bailey!

Can't wait for the game!

patskE
01-05-07, 07:15 PM
ooo mathers on the bench
they prob keep the same team unless mathers sltos in at fb n campbell goes to 5/8

Tamwelg
01-05-07, 08:24 PM
ooo mathers on the bench
they prob keep the same team unless mathers sltos in at fb n campbell goes to 5/8

You never know, looks like Carts likes leaving changes to the last minute.

squirrell
01-05-07, 08:30 PM
every game i get excited at the match ups across the park,the broncos game especially was great to compare the respective numbers play against each other,but this game is positively dripping in high calibre match ups.I would like princey to make thurston look ordinary and give the origin selectors a headache!!! titans by 10

coldhardbitch
01-05-07, 08:43 PM
ooo mathers on the bench

At least we know he is in the coaches mind for the game. If one of the backs gets injured (either now or in the coming weeks), he is first in line.

patskE
01-05-07, 08:53 PM
well i watched him last night on tv vs souths logan, few weeks back i think
saw parts of wat he can do, other then that he was pretty ordinaray
training with the run on squard will help him
he just needs to get use to the game again with good ppl around him i rkn
wouldnt mind to see wat he got
a better defender then campbell so if bowen makes a break i am sure he has more of a chance
then campbell can razzle dazzie the big cowboys forwards with princey boi

just thinking about it
his prob there just incase campbell gets injury on thursday night?
prob the right bet, nfi y u would have paea there anyway lol

Chaos
01-05-07, 09:57 PM
Thats a strong Cowboy outfit with Webb and Jenson sitting on the bench.

Interesting Titans bench though...I can't wait for this one!

Sesenta Nueve
02-05-07, 06:56 PM
Should be a great game and will be one of the best of the season for the neutrals.

Robbie_Dee
02-05-07, 07:03 PM
I'm heavily involved in convincing me dad to take me down to the coast to watch this! :p The Monday night game and all is a shame! Would have loved a Saturday arvo game!!!

The Thurston/Prince Clash will be a classic! Both playing the best footy of their careers! Thurston will be trying to prove to the selectors he IS the man for the job. Also the battle of the magicians :p Presto and Matty! Both excitement machines, and playing great!

Can't wait for the game!!!!!

Come on Cowboys!!!

Chaos
02-05-07, 07:24 PM
I would like to have seen the slow playing Jason Smith up against the zippy Preston at 5/8.

Tamwelg
02-05-07, 07:44 PM
I'm really looking forward to this clash. I think it will be a fantastic game, especially win origin selection just around the corner. I'll pop over and say g'day to those in the legion area :D.

Gee
02-05-07, 10:59 PM
So what is the obstruction rule now? I?m going to the game on Monday night and I can see it being 6 all 5 to go on the clock and we score the ref goes to the 3rd ref no one will know what is going on. Need to know so I can boo :)

Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
03-05-07, 09:27 PM
Great news Webb is back so early, but why this week LOL.

I would rather he didnt play, but hopefully he gets though the game ok.

So now that makes 3 Match ups

Thurston vs Prince
Bowen vs Cambell
Webb vs Bailey

This is going to be a dead set cracker.

Carn Titans

Don't forget the almighty clash of scott minto and the titans... Minto will Pwn EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE

Or maybe he'll just not :p

Queenslander
04-05-07, 09:00 AM
With Campbell most likely out, I would expect Richie Mathers to make his NRL and Titans debut at fullback.

coldhardbitch
04-05-07, 11:29 AM
With Campbell most likely out, I would expect Richie Mathers to make his NRL and Titans debut at fullback.

It's great for Richie, but sad that the Titans lose one oftheir best players in the process. Hopefully there will be a day not too far away where both will be playing off each other, which would be great to watch.

patskE
04-05-07, 01:27 PM
rkn lafannci will play? or we will we see cooper in?

Cowboy Titan
04-05-07, 04:04 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200705/s1914647.htm

Campbell faces lengthy spell on sideline

Gold Coast Titans star Preston Campbell will miss up to six weeks after injuring his knee in last night's City-Country Origin game in Coffs Harbour.

A Titans spokesman said Campbell tore the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his knee late in the game.

The injury will not require surgery but the foundation signing is expected to be out for four to six weeks.

Meanwhile, English recruit Richie Mathers will make his NRL debut at full-back for the Titans to replace Campbell against the Cowboys on Monday night.

TITAN FOREVER
04-05-07, 04:38 PM
Good Luck Richie I am sure you will fill the spot. This will test the sides versatility. Go Titans, Best wishes to Preston & Anthony you'll be back on board soon.:)

Hoppy2007Dragons
04-05-07, 05:47 PM
I reckon Laffranchi will play, hes a tough cookie and the swelling should be down by monday.

Just depend how bad the break is.

Tamwelg
04-05-07, 10:57 PM
I reckon Laffranchi will play, hes a tough cookie and the swelling should be down by monday.

Just depend how bad the break is.

Laffranchi will be there :D

~lee~
05-05-07, 02:38 AM
Looking forward to seeing Richie play, a bit of a tough game to start out with for him. I hope people give him time to get up to speed with the NRL.

lonegull
05-05-07, 11:17 AM
good to see mathers get a go he s a class player, bad luck on preston half

redback71
07-05-07, 03:52 PM
is laffranchi out

patskE
07-05-07, 04:40 PM
Richie's ready to roll filling in for Preston

Luke Turgeon

07May07

IN England Richie Mathers could not even do the grocery shopping without being swamped by adoring fans.

Now on the Gold Coast, the former Leeds Super League star is known simply as `that bloke' who is going to fill in for Preston Campbell at the Titans.

But if things go to plan, that is all about to change when he makes his National Rugby League debut against North Queensland at Carrara tonight.

"This is the chance I have been waiting for," said 23-year-old Mathers.

"It is the reason I came out here, it was a massive decision to leave family and friends and a contract at Leeds that I could have stayed with.

"But the opportunity to come out and play and test myself in the best competition in the world it was just too good to resist."

Fullback Mathers was a key member of the Rhinos' 2004 premiership and 2005 World Club Challenge winning sides.

A born-and-bred Leeds lad, Mathers was a crowd favourite and had a similar profile in the game as Titans stars Scott Prince, Mat Rogers, Luke Bailey and Campbell enjoy on the Gold Coast.

The Titans have received nearly 60 letters and emails from Leeds supporters wishing Mathers the best of luck for his NRL debut.

"One of the main reasons why I came over here was because I have pretty much played in all of the big games back home and this (the NRL) is the last one to crack," said Mathers, who played two Tests for Great Britain in 2005.

"Obviously Preston is an icon amongst the fans already, so for me to step into his shoes adds a little bit of pressure but I am just going to go out there and play my own game.

"These occasions are not there to get bogged down in the pressure.

"They are something to relish and something to really step up and enjoy."

Campbell, who will miss the next six weeks with knee ligament damage, yesterday backed Mathers to fire in the NRL.

"He goes good," said Campbell.

"It actually fazed me for a while how he wasn't in the first grade squad in the first place.

"He is a skilful boy."

All eyes will be on Mathers, who has been playing with feeder club Burleigh in the Queensland Cup, to see how he performs opposite the form fullback of the competition in Cowboy Matt Bowen.

Titans coach John Cartwright warned fans not to expect too much or judge Mathers by Campbell's standards, saying they were two completely different players.

"Richie is not Preston and Preston is not Richie," said Cartwright.

"He has come a long way for this moment and as a coach it is one of the most pleasing things to do to hand a guy his jumper for his first game.

"It was good seeing the look in his eye when I told him he was playing.

"He is not going to be overwhelmed by the occasion.

"He has played in front of 80,000 at Wembley.

"He is just going to get out there and play his own game."

And co-captain Luke Bailey has recovered well from a virus and will take his place in the starting side, as will Mat Rogers, who has been struggling with the bulging disc in his neck.

Country representative Anthony Laffranchi and City representative Mark Minichiello will back up from Thursday night's NSW State of Origin selection trial in Coffs Harbour.

Cowboys enforcer Carl Webb has been passed fit and will make his return from a broken jaw.

Another capacity crowd is expected at Gold Coast Stadium for the clash.

"We just have to try and limit their opportunities," said Cartwright.

"But if we are turning the ball over and giving them cheap shots at us, they are going to belt us.

"It is just about getting our game on, being disciplined. We have thrived here so far and the boys are really looking forward to it."

gcbulletin

patskE
07-05-07, 04:41 PM
yeh mathers will need a few games to get settle in, not excepting wonders from him right away
i rkn a few weeks in he find his feet n celement his spot forcing campbell to 5/8

titansroostersfan
07-05-07, 07:02 PM
Going to be a great game tonight...good luck boys

Also going to be in sydney this week...going to titans v roosters game.

Hard to pick who to follow that day both my teams but followed roosters longer but titans are really doing well.

Who do i choose?????

titansroostersfan
07-05-07, 07:03 PM
Kick Off time people

Gooooo Titans

titansroostersfan
07-05-07, 07:12 PM
Sell out game of course

Wet surface....a little rain

3 min till kick off

titansroostersfan
07-05-07, 07:18 PM
Finally kick off titans with the ball.

Cowboys on the defence

titansroostersfan
07-05-07, 07:20 PM
stuff up by the cowgirls titans with the ball.

18 metres out

titansroostersfan
07-05-07, 07:24 PM
cowboys score..matty bowen scores

cowboys 4

titans 0

titansroostersfan
07-05-07, 07:25 PM
cowboys 6

titans 0

titansroostersfan
07-05-07, 07:37 PM
titans score

titans 4

cowboys 8

Ryan
07-05-07, 09:13 PM
I missed the first 30min of the game, but it was a good game to watch. There were alot of handling errors, understandably, but the boys looked to be trying pretty hard. Good to see Rogers finally get abit more ball and he looked pretty good with it. His agility was pretty impressive especialy considering conditions, even noticed him outstep Bowen a couple of times.
I thought Rogers might be more valuable in 5/8, at least while Preston is out to make up for abit in attack. Hilder doesn't seem to be doing much and without Preston there, Prince needs someone else more capable with the ball to back him up.

Robbie_Dee
07-05-07, 09:23 PM
Lucky I didn't end up going, it pissed down rain!

I'm so happy about cowboys winning! Thurston and Bowen were outstanding! Bowen just can't do a thing wrong ATM!

Mat Rogers is back and firing! He had an awesome game! 2 tries and NEARLY 3!

Ref was really dodgy to both teams. Some pretty stupid calls. Good to see the obstruction rule changed but. Much better! There were probably about three occasions where last week it would have been pulled up. Defense wasn't effected, play on, all good.

I'm so happy about Cowboys winning that! Good game, in bad conditions!

Parra Petty
07-05-07, 09:37 PM
Hey all,

Just logging my report from the dry confines of the media box here at Carrara - what bloody atrocious conditions for a game of footy!!

Don't worry too much Titans fans - Carty is not too disapointed with the guys, instead preferring to praise the Cowboys for handling the conditions smarter than his boys.

I thought Mathers was solid given limited opportunities and weather conditions (he should be used to it!), and Prnce, Bailey and Laffranchi tried hard as always.

Rogers was the standout for mine - I cant beleive how much speed those dodgy knees have!!

Anyway, if anyone wants to read my report - than click on the link below -
http://www.league.net.au/cowboys-prevail-over-titans-in-the-wet/

Cheers,

Parra Petty

Titans Rock
07-05-07, 09:38 PM
Disappointing performance 2nite by the Titans. Matt Rogers was our best player by far with a couple tries and a couple of good runs. The rain didnt really help with both teams having lots of turnovers and Jonathan Thurston was by far best on ground. Here we come Roosters!!!

Titanium_BD1103
07-05-07, 09:43 PM
Good game... played in attrious conditions... but well done to the boys for not giving in even though they were outclassed tonight... :)

I thought Rogers had a fantastic game... he was back to his best and the signs are good for the future... I also thought Mathers was solid in his first game and will improve with time, which is exciting... ;)

The difference tonight was Thurston and Bowen, who had a whale of a game out in the wet... they were at their scheming best and I guess it's a lesson for the Titans to always be on your game and always stay focused on what needs to be done... I thought tonight the boys clocked off a bit here and there and paid the ultimate price.

Full credit to them though for never giving in and for producing some stylish footy for the fans... :)

Overall, it was a good lesson in playing against the best, sad that we lost but not disappointed in the effort and the boys will be raring to go and hopefully can give the Roosters a football lesson at Aussie... :D

Finally, the less said about the ref the better... Cummins had an ordinary night in ordinary conditions and both sides were disadvantaged, but overall the game provided a nice spectacle for the crowd who braved the elements and who gave their all throughout the night...:)

Steelers
07-05-07, 09:48 PM
That sort of form would earn Rogers a spot in the Origin side IMO. Keep it up mate, fantastic work. Hopefully you decide to make yourself available and get picked for Game 2 and 3 if you keep up the good form ;)

Cowboy Titan
07-05-07, 09:53 PM
Just got home from the game. Great win by the Cowboys with Thursty & Bowen having a fantastic game.

I thought that Rogers was close to best on the ground behind Thurston. He's an awesome talent and it's great to see him getting back to his best. I'd love to see him back in Origin, although I'm not sure if he's made himself available.

Well done to the crowd for sticking around until full time (most of them). We were lucky enough to be undercover. Everyone else got drenched.

Coaster
07-05-07, 10:23 PM
Good win by the Cowboys,

Congrats!!

Ill discuse the Titans tommorow, but we can work with that.

Chaos
07-05-07, 10:42 PM
I love Minichello but please don't play him in the wet.

Two things can control a slippery game like that...The ref and Chaos.

Tamwelg
07-05-07, 10:43 PM
Hey all,

Just logging my report from the dry confines of the media box here at Carrara - what bloody atrocious conditions for a game of footy!!

Don't worry too much Titans fans - Carty is not too disapointed with the guys, instead preferring to praise the Cowboys for handling the conditions smarter than his boys.

I thought Mathers was solid given limited opportunities and weather conditions (he should be used to it!), and Prnce, Bailey and Laffranchi tried hard as always.

Rogers was the standout for mine - I cant beleive how much speed those dodgy knees have!!

Anyway, if anyone wants to read my report - than click on the link below -
http://www.league.net.au/cowboys-prevail-over-titans-in-the-wet/

Cheers,

Parra Petty

I agree with these comments 100%.

Lucky bugger keeping dey in the media area :D.

Mathers looked very solid at the back and was marching the troops into position well in defence. Roger, man what a game, give the man a Maroon jersey again :D.

No match for the Thurston and Bowen show, full credit to them, they had great games. I can't wait to see the game on t.v., because I thought the ref had a shocker. I don't think it would have altered the result, but the score line would have been a tad closer IMO.

Well done Cowboys

Chaos
07-05-07, 10:48 PM
I think Webster is in for a flogging next training run...poor read in defense letting in the first Bowen try.
Carty said they trained against that play all week.

Steve
07-05-07, 10:57 PM
I didn't get to see the game, but looking at the stats it seems some dropped ball and penalties killed it for us. Three tries to two isn't so bad, the missed goal and 3 penalty goals for the Cowboys bumped up the margin.
Always disappointing to lose, but it certainly wasn't a flogging.

I haven't heard it was a problem in this game, but, it has been in every wet game this year. The logo on the ball has to go.

Looks like Rogers had an awesome game too!

Chaos
07-05-07, 11:02 PM
Normally the stats tell a different view then the one I see but the was a lot of balls dropped and there seems to be in every wet game.

We'll need to at least have a close look at this ball there using at present.

TITAN PETE
07-05-07, 11:12 PM
Rogers & Bowens game were both outstanding in very poor conditions the Refereeing was an absolute joke which should be looked closely at by the officials.

Minichello had a great chance to become a star when Webb put 1 on his chin he should have unloaded on the over rated meat head because the penalty had already be given & Webb threw the 1st punch, ah well theres always a chance we'll meet again in September.

Tamwelg
07-05-07, 11:12 PM
I didn't get to see the game, but looking at the stats it seems some dropped ball and penalties killed it for us. Three tries to two isn't so bad, the missed goal and 3 penalty goals for the Cowboys bumped up the margin.
Always disappointing to lose, but it certainly wasn't a flogging.

I haven't heard it was a problem in this game, but, it has been in every wet game this year. The logo on the ball has to go.

Looks like Rogers had an awesome game too!

There was alot of dropped ball, not to much could be done anout that, but the penalty count shouldn't have been that high.

Chaos
07-05-07, 11:23 PM
The worst bit of referreeing was when Prince was denyed a chance to ask a question because Mnichello gave a penalty away...what the f^ck is that?

Social Loafer
07-05-07, 11:34 PM
What was with Prince slapping Thurston?

Coaster
08-05-07, 12:22 AM
What was with Prince slapping Thurston?

He was trying to explain to him he shouldnt make the rep side becuase he is Aboriginal.

Throb
08-05-07, 12:23 AM
Thurston is a long haired git. He is like school on a saturday.... no class

Bernster
08-05-07, 01:22 AM
I reckon Scotty was lucky not to be sent to the Sin Bin when he got double whammied.

Ryan
08-05-07, 06:48 AM
The worst bit of referreeing was when Prince was denyed a chance to ask a question because Mnichello gave a penalty away...what the f^ck is that?
Yeah, I agree. But Minichello should have kept his mouth shut and let the captain(s) do their job, it wasn't his place. I dunno what Minichello said, but the ref was pretty quick to march them 10. Prince should have slapped the ref aswell.......

lonegull
08-05-07, 07:37 AM
referee was terrible he seemed he couldnt keep up, also scotty had a off night with the kicking in general play we kicked poorly, also i think the titans panicked a bit and took some wrong options early in there sets, it was good to see rogers at 5/8th late in the match

Throb
08-05-07, 12:55 PM
ref was confused all game

Kingytek
08-05-07, 01:09 PM
i reckon he did a piss poor job that guy last night.....
he needs to be dropped to some type or reserves comp... not even qld cup deserves that tripe

qld power
08-05-07, 02:50 PM
di anyone have some piccies from the game

Cowboy Titan
08-05-07, 03:01 PM
di anyone have some piccies from the game

Here's some from League HQ

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/photogallery/2007/05/07/1178390221750.html

Robbie_Dee
08-05-07, 04:28 PM
The worst bit of referreeing was when Prince was denyed a chance to ask a question because Mnichello gave a penalty away...what the f^ck is that?yep. equally up there with the Thurston knock on??? I still don't see the sense in that call. Bu very poor reffing to both teams. In the end it was evenly crap.

TITAN FOREVER
08-05-07, 05:06 PM
I really enjoyed the game. A few calls were a bit ify. But the Titans let themselves down with poor ball handling and penalities. The Cowboys forwards and Thurston made the difference. Like to get them in dry conditions next time and boy I think it will be some game. The potential is difinately there the titans improving all the time. Could of blown out to a big score but they once again held in there and bombed a few tries. Better luck next time.

Throb
09-05-07, 10:03 AM
I watched the game again last night and I counted 5 occasions when inept reffing cost the team opportunities to either put points on the board, or place the cowboys under pressure. this is versus only 2 occasions where the cowboys were denied by dodgy calls. 5 vs 2 does not even up a game. Titans fans also need to be more vocal at this stadium. the cowboys should have been intimidated at our home ground but that did not look the case to me...

Tamwelg
09-05-07, 10:23 AM
I watched the game again last night and I counted 5 occasions when inept reffing cost the team opportunities to either put points on the board, or place the cowboys under pressure. this is versus only 2 occasions where the cowboys were denied by dodgy calls. 5 vs 2 does not even up a game.

I've been waiting to watch the game on t.v. for this exact reason. It appeared to be like that at the ground as well, but you can't really tell sometimes until you watch it back on t.v.

Coaster
09-05-07, 12:10 PM
I watched the game again last night and I counted 5 occasions when inept reffing cost the team opportunities to either put points on the board, or place the cowboys under pressure. this is versus only 2 occasions where the cowboys were denied by dodgy calls. 5 vs 2 does not even up a game. Titans fans also need to be more vocal at this stadium. the cowboys should have been intimidated at our home ground but that did not look the case to me...

Hard to be vocal when your so far from the action, you cant tell if it was a bad decision or not.

I dont want us gold Coasters like Parramatta fans, booing every time a desicion goes against us either. But i do agree we need to get more involved.

Just listen to the crowd when Mathers kick the ball into them, they went crazy, they want to get more involved, but we either need a strong supporters base to start them, or a ground announcer starting something other then a 10 second chant.

Chaos
09-05-07, 12:13 PM

Half the reason a home game is so advantagous is because the refs decisions are invluenced by the crowd.
Supporters at the home games need to be bias and need to make a lot of sound against any play against the Titans.

I've seen the Newcastle crowd referree the game many times.

Parra Petty
09-05-07, 01:16 PM
[quote=Coaster;184582]

I dont want us gold Coasters like Parramatta fans, booing every time a desicion goes against us either. But i do agree we need to get more involved.

Just listen to the crowd when Mathers kick the ball into them, they went crazy, they want to get more involved, but we either need a strong supporters base to start them, or a ground announcer starting something other then a 10 second chant.

You reckon it's only Parramatta supporters that do this? You have to be kidding - every home crowd does it, including the Titans crowds - that was more than apparent on Monday night!

Cheers,

Parra Petty

christian
09-05-07, 01:57 PM
Minichello had a great chance to become a star when Webb put 1 on his chin he should have unloaded on the over rated meat head...

What? A star in the intensive care ward?

Throb
10-05-07, 11:17 PM
Monday night's crowd were not the most parochial mob I have seen at a Titans match though. I thought there were a lot more "opposing" supporters than usual. This would no doubt be due to the Cowboys following here on the coast. The Cowboys were once the only QLD team to support for those who don't like the way the Broncos play, act etc...

The cowboys do play an open exciting style of Footy that can be good to watch - it is just that I cannot stand Thurston. He is nothing but a grub - esp off the field (maybe at Coffs harbour perhaps - most will know what i mean, and I have heard it from too many people in the know for it just to be rumour...)

Throb
10-05-07, 11:18 PM
I got off topic there for a bit... sorry about that.

What I meant to post was that it was great to hear the boos when he was lining up a kick though --- not that it helped :(

patskE
13-05-07, 10:42 AM
man word has it webster might be drop... like come on, he hasnt done anything wrong to be dropped, sure he isnt doing anyhtign special, but his solid

qld power
13-05-07, 02:54 PM
dam 10-0 down at half grr

Boofhead
13-05-07, 03:05 PM
Zzz...