PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Gold Coast rugby league sides

J T
26-04-07, 03:38 PM
Hey, Im new to this forum, and i was just wondering a few questions:

1) Is Carrara Stadium a good place to watch rugby league at?
2) What was the old Seagulls Stadium like?
3) Do you believe that the Titans will make the top 8?
4) Did you support the Gold Coast Chargers/Seagulls when they were in the comp?
5) Was it true that before the Gold Coast got kicked out of the comp the first time, they had all their games televised on NBN?
6) Does anyone here have any old rugby league games here (circa 1992-96), imparticularly the one where the Seagulls beat the knights on the siren in 1994 (12-10) and when they upset the Broncos that same year 25-12?

Thanks

Queenslander
26-04-07, 03:44 PM
First off welcome to the forums J T.

Im sure there are many Gold Coast rugby league fans who will be able to answer some, if not all of your questions.

I will answer:
1) Cararra Stadium is the best option for the Titans at the present time......However Robina Stadium can't come soon enough ;)
3) It is possible however it will be a close call and probably coming down to for and against to decide whether or not the Titans will make the finals.

Coaster
26-04-07, 04:24 PM
I answered this question the LU forums

Steve
26-04-07, 05:18 PM
1. No, no round ground is, but other than that, I do like that there's gen admin, I prefer that over allocated seating.
3. Possible! And I certainly hope so. Doing okay so far, if things start to gel, and we stop the constant parade of injuries, we should get some consistency and string together some wins.
4. Nope. I didn't live in SEQ then. I'm a Panther fan first and foremost, so with all the ex Panther staff on board, it was tempting to jump on the Titans ship, even more tempting to have a local team I can go watch. So here I am.

k-unit
26-04-07, 06:55 PM
1) Not the best view, as it is round like Steve said but the atmosphere can be just as good as Telstra at times! :D

travop
26-04-07, 07:22 PM
yea welcome jt
ill answer ur question about the top 8
yes i think we can if we keep playin to the standed that we have seen in the past few weeks its ironic that we're beatin the preimers at the moment on the tally board

Old Diehard
26-04-07, 10:14 PM
(1) Crap - the field is designed oval for aussie rules..But hang in there-next years stadium is purpose built for league (thanks you old easts tigers fan Mr Macenroth!)
(2) Yeah it was a good stadium - right beside the Tweed Seagulls (LOTS OF POKIE MONEY in NSW whilst they were banned across the border) - it's now a housing estate and the Twee d Seagulls play in this terrific little valley field about 10mins drive from it! I mean it is very scenic at Piggenden (owned by the Tweed Council- I think!)
(3) Yeah I did - Wally played there and Bags (Geoff Bagnell!)..wally i think use to live in the tall apartments on the corner of second ave and the old pacific hwy at Burleigh! I stayed around the corner on the Esplanade! Me - I can't say enough about about him! Watched him from straight out of State High as a lock at Valleys until where he was finally acknowledged as the best player in league! Got into a fight in the Lang park outer against some Broncos fans when he played his first game there for the Gold Coast... Spent sometime at a end season footy trip with a mate and his team from North Sydney at Surfers Paradise ...When Wally came on TV in an advert the cat calls etc where fair dinkum venerous almost ! They thought he was crap!
(4) North Rivers TV played a lot of Gold Coast games!
(5) What was it again!

Steel Dragon
26-04-07, 10:22 PM
Hey, Im new to this forum, and i was just wondering a few questions:

1) Is Carrara Stadium a good place to watch rugby league at?

Last time I was there was 1998 (Steelers beat the Chargers 32-10), and I didn't think it was too bad. Nice and relaxed atmosphere, plenty of room to spread a blanket on the hill (though I'm sure there won't be this year).

2) What was the old Seagulls Stadium like?

Well, it was a rectangular ground, seated about 14,000, and put you right on top of the action. I personally liked the place, although my beloved Steelers had a habit of turning in shockers there (like being beaten by a 12-man outfit in 1992, the first game I ever went to).

3) Do you believe that the Titans will make the top 8?

They might just scrape in at the bottom. I don't really believe we have the cattle to push for a premiership, but we'll continue to surprise a few pundits.

4) Did you support the Gold Coast Chargers/Seagulls when they were in the comp?

They were my second team behind the Steelers, so naturally I jumped back on the bandwagon with the Titans, particularly since the Steelers have been swallowed by St. George.

5) Was it true that before the Gold Coast got kicked out of the comp the first time, they had all their games televised on NBN?

Not that I am aware of. I know their Saturday night home games were usually televised by Channel 10 in Brisbane, commentary from Billy J. Smith (despite living in NSW, we got reception for Brisbane TV - weird).

6) Does anyone here have any old rugby league games here (circa 1992-96), imparticularly the one where the Seagulls beat the knights on the siren in 1994 (12-10) and when they upset the Broncos that same year 25-12?

Thanks

Wish I did mate, but alas, I do not. I remember both games you mention, as well as the 32-6 thumping of Balmain that handed them the spoon. The Seagulls had a good record against the Knights. In 1993, their one and only win was against them (although they put in a very good show against the Broncs in front of 58,000 at ANZ).

Jason

J T
27-04-07, 11:32 AM
yeah, I asked about the NBN thing, cause I do remember one game in 1996 between Canterbury and Gold Coast Chargers at Belmore was televised on NBN on a Sunday arvo and Mike Rabbit (the sport reporter from NBN) was the caller. But, I only faintly remember seeing the Knights game thing on Boots 'n' all. Alan Kempnich kicked a ball from the sideline to beat the Knights on the siren. And also the 25-12 win, one of the biggest upsets of the 90s (Wendell Sailor had a shocker in that game). Did the Chargers/Seagulls get given a fair go on Ch9 back then, in comparison to the teams today that dont (like Melbourne, Nth QLD etc)? Why did the Seagulls move up to Carrara?

J T
09-08-07, 01:16 PM
(1) Crap - the field is designed oval for aussie rules..But hang in there-next years stadium is purpose built for league (thanks you old easts tigers fan Mr Macenroth!)
(2) Yeah it was a good stadium - right beside the Tweed Seagulls (LOTS OF POKIE MONEY in NSW whilst they were banned across the border) - it's now a housing estate and the Twee d Seagulls play in this terrific little valley field about 10mins drive from it! I mean it is very scenic at Piggenden (owned by the Tweed Council- I think!)
(3) Yeah I did - Wally played there and Bags (Geoff Bagnell!)..wally i think use to live in the tall apartments on the corner of second ave and the old pacific hwy at Burleigh! I stayed around the corner on the Esplanade! Me - I can't say enough about about him! Watched him from straight out of State High as a lock at Valleys until where he was finally acknowledged as the best player in league! Got into a fight in the Lang park outer against some Broncos fans when he played his first game there for the Gold Coast... Spent sometime at a end season footy trip with a mate and his team from North Sydney at Surfers Paradise ...When Wally came on TV in an advert the cat calls etc where fair dinkum venerous almost ! They thought he was crap!
(4) North Rivers TV played a lot of Gold Coast games!
(5) What was it again!

Where abouts is this that youre talking about? Tweed Heads (when you talk about Burleigh and the Esplanade)?

Old Diehard
09-08-07, 04:01 PM
Where abouts is this that youre talking about? Tweed Heads (when you talk about Burleigh and the Esplanade)?

Question1 - was I thought Carrara was crap. Sorry it's a Aussie Rules field but I do notice temp stands nearer the field now but bring on the Robina Stadium.

Question 2 - was did I follow the Old Gold Coast teams- yes because of the King playing there. I haven't seen a better player and I make no secret of that. But sorry to confuse the issue- I believe Wally lived not to far from me when he played on the Gold Coast...His place was in the big tower corner of second ave and the old Gold Coast hwy at Burleigh Heads. I stayed on The Esplanade at Burleigh.

The confusion with Tweed is that the Gold Coast sides in those days played out of a good football stadium right beside the Tweed Seagulls Leagues Club... It's long been replaced with a housing estate.

Finally the new Tweed Seagulls field at Piggenden is a very scenic field in a valley about 5 mins drive from the Tweed seagulls club...

Do yourself a favour get along on Saturday Arvo to watch Tweed play Burleigh in the Qld Cup...It's a becoming a terrific derby...And congulations to the Titans Feeder Clubs who are all performing so well this year - Ipswich & the Tweed both look like making the final four , but Burleigh is not far out of the four , fighting with Easts to get there!

Burleigh need a win and must be praying Norths get up over Easts on Sunday!

The other question relating to NBN - is well I think as they are owned by Channel 9 and they are dictated too in what they can show now (but I seem to remember seeing games on NBN that I couldn't see on Channel 9 Brisbane ). As you know on the Coast you see both stations on telly. And if NBN was smart they would start to broadcast the Tweed Seagulls and Burleigh Bear games because I sure the Northern Rivers and Gold Coast people would love to view them !