PDA

View Full Version : Papua New Guinea upset over World Cup draw

DIEHARD
25-04-07, 11:52 AM
PNG upset over World Cup draw
By HENRY MORABANG

PAPUA New Guinea Rugby Football League will officially lodge a protest with the International Rugby League board over its 2008 World Cup draw which was launched recently in Sydney, Australia. And pulling out altogether from the World Cup next year was an option which may be considered.
PNGRFL chairman Sir Bob Sinclair said yesterday that PNG as a permanent member of the international board was not consulted when the draw was done.

Sir Bob said this clearly showed that IRB had no respect for PNG rugby league.
The draw was done by a three-member committee representing Australia, New Zealand and England. Even France, another permanent member, was not consulted even though Frenchman Tas Baiteri is the IRL board development officer.

?There is no meeting whatsoever on how the World Cup draw was put together. It?s a complete joke,? a disappointed Sir Bob told The National yesterday.

Sir Bob said there were still outstanding qualifying rounds matches for the three remaining spot in the draw therefore it was premature for IRLB to finalise the draw.

?It is like sending the lamb to the slaughter house,? Sir Bob said of the draw which pitted PNG against the super powers of the game ? Australia, New Zealand and England ? in Pool A.

Sir Bob said PNG may pull out of the 2008 World Cup, but this decision would come from the PNG Rugby League Board and all its stakeholders.

?The fact remains that Papua New Guinea as permanent member was never consulted and IRLB treated us with disrespect. We might as well start our own on World Cup, involving New Zealand Maori, Australia Aboriginals, Pacific Islanders and Wales,? he said.

?We received no assistance from the super powers. How do they expect the game to be developed and they show no respect at all to PNG as member country on the international board?? Sir Bob said.

PNG Kumul assistant coach Marcus Bai told The National from Gold Coast, Australia, yesterday that he was also disappointed and disgusted at the treatment that PNG was getting from the International Rugby League board.
?I find it very hard to take it in. IRLB never considered PNG when rugby league is the number one sports in the country,? the former Kumul winger said.

He said the former Kumul coach Bob Bennett was equally disappointed with the draw when contacted.

http://www.thenational.com.pg

DIEHARD
25-04-07, 11:58 AM
I'm behind PNG on this, it is terrible if PNG and France weren't consulted on the draw.

And if we put PNG into the Super Pool, they are going to need ALOT of support in the coming 18months. With proper matches pencilled in, fitness, nutrition, coaching and support.

While PNG shold field a good squad off the back of a strong SP Cup and a good selection of players overseas, playing in the NRL, Queensland Cup and SL. They need help with fitness, because they can't be expected to go up against full timers. Once the dam breaks in rugby league it doesn't take long to have 30 put on you in the space of only a handful of minutes.

That is the nature of the game and what sets us apart from soccer. Because in soccer, minnows can play bigger nations and due to the nature of the game, low scoring, it looks respectible.

Though you can't say they get no assistance the ARL has put alot of money and resources into getting PNG to where it is today. But we need a lot more from all members of the RLIF.

Old Diehard
25-04-07, 09:26 PM
Won't do much for the game to see The Kumals flogged by the 'super' teams- may need a 2 tiered comp. Certain PNG is a rugby league strong hold- so why upset them!

~lee~
26-04-07, 02:50 AM
They couldnt have got a worse draw. A two tiered comp could be an answer, although everyone has to fancy their chances when playing against an England international team. All permanent members of the board should have been consulted on the draw.

Steve
26-04-07, 05:42 PM
I'm wondering if they were put into that pool because they're the only nation with a hope of competing with the top 3.
I think the developing nations need the experience playing against the top countries. The time spent playing with NRL/ESL countrymen and against other international countries gives them invaluable experience and can only strengthen the game in the long run.

I guess the tough pool is to avoid each of those countries dominating individual pools, giving the smaller countries a chance to advance.
In a sense, it already is a two teir system, with the top nations segregated into one pool.

Problem is, rep footy at the moment is a bit of a joke.
Thorn, Carroll, Hunt, Nathan Cayless, etc make a mockery of it.
Frank Puletua represents Samoa, Tony Puletua NZ, and by origin rules should be eligible to play for NSW too.
David Solomona, a previous Kiwi is considering playing for Samoa in the world cup instead.
There needs to be firm rules on what country you're eligible to play for.
Grandad kissing a girl who dated a guy who's second cousin married a girl who's grandmother once patted a dog who's owner's next door neighbour had a New Zealand 20 cent coin in his wallet shouldn't make you eligible to play for NZ.

Until that happens, the smaller nations will always be at a disadvantage, with their top players choosing the country they think will get them the win.

RIP
06-09-08, 12:13 PM
When I sore the draw last year sum time, I to was a little disgusted & disappointed in the decision. I ment a png girl called luna, when I was out one night & she was saying how her country was annoyed & a little dishearten when they realised where they were in the pool. The poor buggers, They didn't need this. I thought they would of made the Semi's if it wasn't for this. I'm goin 2 get tickets 4 their clash with NZ & go nuts!, Try & roar them home 4 a win!

Paul
06-09-08, 12:21 PM
I'll be there supporting PNG against the kiwis

RIP
06-09-08, 12:27 PM
I'll be there supporting PNG against the kiwis

Sweet haven't got my tickets yet but I'll let you know where I'll be sitting.

Paul
06-09-08, 12:30 PM
we will be in section 30

DIEHARD
06-09-08, 04:39 PM
I agree, it's not really fair on PNG, but it's designed to help France through as well.

I will be supporting Australia first and then PNG and France at the World Cup.

I'll be going to the Skilled Park game against the Kiwis in a PNG jersey!

Hey RIP, if you want tickets for the NZ v PNG game at skilled, now is the best time to buy them because there is a special deal on for Father's Day. 2 adults for $33.00. But the offer ends tomorrow!

http://rlwc.rugbyleague.com.au/fathers/

Gold Coast World Cup matches are also included in this offer, even though it isn't stated.

RIP
29-10-08, 09:44 PM
Hey guys/ladies? just got my tiks & i'm just past half way & realy close 2 field. But I make sure u can hear me!!!!

DIEHARD
29-10-08, 09:56 PM
Hey guys/ladies? just got my tiks & i'm just past half way & realy close 2 field. But I make sure u can hear me!!!!

How ya going RIP?

We will have PNG shirts that we are getting signed by the squad at Rebel on the Gold Coast tomorrow.

It's gonna be a great match!